The infamous hat story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
On another band's forum, someone was bashing U2 (I mean, Bono) and argumented this with Bono "flying" his hat over from Italy and suing the ex-assistant.

How was the hat story prove false again? Wasn't it so Bono never had the type of hat he supposably flew over...?

There are few threads about this..

main thing, everything you read is exaggarated..
he had his hat fly over because he forgot it or something like that..

BonoFox1 said:
^^ Yeah I saw that on VH!..I recorded it..I dont know how true it would be but it is funny

OH! Thanks BonoFox...I wanted to see what that VH1 show was all about (saw B. was going to be on it) but ended up missing it....

Bono'sZooBaby said:
Ok, I'm usually up on all the lastest Bono "news", lol. But I have no idea what you're talking about. Could someone explain the hat story to me. Thanks :wink:

there's a story that Bono spent 500 euros flying his hat first class from milano to, uh, I think it was NY..

but I can't remember the real story behind it....

Here we go, yet again. When will this stupid story die already?

It didn't happen. It was reported (I use the word loosely) in The Sun, the same "newspaper" that printed the ridiculous pics of Bono and Ali and baby John, only in those pics "Bono" was tall and skinny, "Ali" was a bleached blonde, and "John" was a girl.
In the hat story, the hat which they pictured in the paper was the working-man type hat he wore in the late 90's, but the hat he wore at the Pavarotti event was the green military style hat.
It was a fabrication clearly designed to embarrass him by suggesting that "Mr. Charity" is a hypocrite who splashes money around in obscenely wasteful ways. Of course, the tabloids are always truthful...not!

biff said:
Here we go, yet again. When will this stupid story die already?

It didn't happen. It was reported (I use the word loosely) in The Sun, the same "newspaper" that printed the ridiculous pics of Bono and Ali and baby John, only in those pics "Bono" was tall and skinny, "Ali" was a bleached blonde, and "John" was a girl.
In the hat story, the hat which they pictured in the paper was the working-man type hat he wore in the late 90's, but the hat he wore at the Pavarotti event was the green military style hat.
It was a fabrication clearly designed to embarrass him by suggesting that "Mr. Charity" is a hypocrite who splashes money around in obscenely wasteful ways. Of course, the tabloids are always truthful...not!

thank you for the truth once again biff :)
yea I saw those pics too, and that really didn't even look like him... wasn't it some actor?

I think so. Someone here knew the name of the actor, but I personally didn't know who he was, just that it wasn't Bono (duh!).
Maybe someone can post those pics; they were good for a laugh.

The best way to prove it false is that the hat in the story was described as a 'fedora' and the one they pictured looked like the 'Sweetest Thing' hat (same look worn in the false Bono/Ali/John pics described by biff, and same paper too (The Sun) However, the story was about the charity event he did with Pavoratti a couple years ago (forget the name and date) and you can get pics of him from that sporting a backwards green army cap. So there goes the 'flying fedora' he 'couldn't go onstage without' :rolleyes: and if he had lost his green army one they are very easy to find replacements for. I am so sorry to hear this story is still being believed. VH1 should not have spead such stupid rumors and should have checked it out first.

(I tried to access the Sun's archives for the link to the story but was told I had to 'register' since it was so old, anyone have an account there?)

e4b3f747.jpg

U2girl said:
On another band's forum, someone was bashing U2 (I mean, Bono) and argumented this with Bono "flying" his hat over from Italy and suing the ex-assistant.

I think you've got the answer to the hat story now...

As for suing an ex-assistant... in connection to the hat story, no (if that's what you meant?!) - in another context, yes.

The ex-assistants name was Lola Cashman - she stole several items (among others the black Stetson) from Bono during/after the JT-tour and then put them up for auction a few years ago... I think anyone would take an assistant like that to court :shrug:

^ I think the word "stole" should have the word "alleged" attached, she claimed they were gifts.

As for the flying hat story, who cares? Bono probably spends more just to fly to Paris to have lunch. :rolleyes:

I somehow like this story and I think it's hilarious.
On the other hand, I don't believe it really. The tabloid media is making up a lot of crap about celebrities, why should it be any different with Bono?
Still I think that he is having quite an extravagant lifestyle. Why not, if he can afford it? It has nothing to do with his charitable causes. He has said countless times that he is quite a spoiled kid, so I would not completely put it past him to do something like that.

blueeyedgirl said:
^ I think the word "stole" should have the word "alleged" attached, she claimed they were gifts.

During the trial, Bono had told the court that there was no way he would have given her the items

The judge said Ms Cashman's account of being given a number of items by the band was unlikely to have occurred

Well, if Bono says he didn't give the items to her, and the judge verdicts that they wasn't given to her, I would say she stole the items... :shrug:

Laurel Hill said:
The best way to prove it false is that the hat in the story was described as a 'fedora' and the one they pictured looked like the 'Sweetest Thing' hat (same look worn in the false Bono/Ali/John pics described by biff, and same paper too (The Sun) However, the story was about the charity event he did with Pavoratti a couple years ago (forget the name and date) and you can get pics of him from that sporting a backwards green army cap. So there goes the 'flying fedora' he 'couldn't go onstage without' :rolleyes: and if he had lost his green army one they are very easy to find replacements for. I am so sorry to hear this story is still being believed. VH1 should not have spead such stupid rumors and should have checked it out first.

(I tried to access the Sun's archives for the link to the story but was told I had to 'register' since it was so old, anyone have an account there?)

Or, since this is a tabloid, they are in LOVE with alliteration, and "flying fedora" fits the bill, whether it was actually a fedora or not.

Re: Re: The infamous hat story

Merc said:

I think you've got the answer to the hat story now...

As for suing an ex-assistant... in connection to the hat story, no (if that's what you meant?!) - in another context, yes.

The ex-assistants name was Lola Cashman - she stole several items (among others the black Stetson) from Bono during/after the JT-tour and then put them up for auction a few years ago... I think anyone would take an assistant like that to court :shrug:

Yes, his story was "the assistant got the items as gifts and now Bono is suing her", he didn't bother to mention the history of that. (I know the background from before)

Merc said:

Well, if Bono says he didn't give the items to her, and the judge verdicts that they wasn't given to her, I would say she stole the items... :shrug:

there was also an argument that Lola claimed Bono had 'given' her a pair of his pants... and that Bono was hopping around backstage in his underwear... :eyebrow:

it wasn't just Bono sueing her btw.. it wass the whole band, wich would explain why Larry was also in court..

CMM said:

Or, since this is a tabloid, they are in LOVE with alliteration, and "flying fedora" fits the bill, whether it was actually a fedora or not.

LOL, yeah, and there never was any fying hat at all but when they made one up they never even bothered to check out if he even owned such a hat or had been seen wearing one! How lame!

last unicorn said:
I somehow like this story and I think it's hilarious.
On the other hand, I don't believe it really. The tabloid media is making up a lot of crap about celebrities, why should it be any different with Bono?

What gets me (has always gotten me) is *why* do so many people believe the stories in the tabloids? I feel sorry for celebrities sometimes, all the stuff they put up with!

And why, when the correct information to a question is given time and time again, people keep asking and/or refuse to believe it?

Back
Top Bottom