The "Eyepatch"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
According to the U2 Live book, they played in Belgium that night, October 24th. There are no special notes about that show. During their previous show, on October 21st, the notes indicate that "a brawl broke out" in the audience, and Bono interrupted the show to get the crowd to calm down.
That's all I could find. I'll keep digging.

ylimeU2 said:
I have a theory, but it has no basis on anything I have ever heard. So, keeping that in mind, I wondered if he broke a guitar string and it hit him in the eye or around the eye.

Or maybe it was that car accident he and Adam where in. :shrug: Although, I don't remember when that took place. I'm pretty sure it was earlier then '81.
WHAT CAR ACCIDENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How coem I never knew about this!! DETAILS PLEASE! :)

The story is in "The Unforgettable Fire" bio. I can't find my book right now, so this is what I remember: I think Adam and Edge were on their way to a gig. Adam, who was driving, somehow lost control of the car. He was okay, but Edge put his fist through the windsheild. Since it was Adam's mother's car, he stayed at the scence, while Edge took a bus to the show to explain what happened.

McGuiness talked about it a little in the "Rattle and Hum Outtakes", saying how when Edge wasn't on stage, he had his hand in a bucket of ice, trying to keep the swelling down.

That's all I remember.

ylimeU2 said:
The story is in "The Unforgettable Fire" bio. I can't find my book right now, so this is what I remember: I think Adam and Edge were on their way to a gig. Adam, who was driving, somehow lost control of the car. He was okay, but Edge put his fist through the windsheild. Since it was Adam's mother's car, he stayed at the scence, while Edge took a bus to the show to explain what happened.

McGuiness talked about it a little in the "Rattle and Hum Outtakes", saying how when Edge wasn't on stage, he had his hand in a bucket of ice, trying to keep the swelling down.

That's all I remember.

Oh, that's great info. Thanks ylimeU2. They should do a big documentary talking about all of this. Not a book but a documentary!!!! :drool:

Ouch! That would hurt man! Makes me wanna do it, just so I can be like Edge :D
But still... ouch! My poor baby:( *hugs and cuddles Edge* What hand was it? I'm picturing it was his right hand... I don't know why though... :D

This mystery has yet to be solved, we've been wondering what happened for a while around here, hehe. I heard the guitar string story as well. But I don't think it was from the car accident. I also heard about Edge getting hit with a bottle at some point. Maybe that was during the fight? But his right eye is a bit droopy. But he's still the hottest guy around. :wink:

edge135.jpg

Oops I got so worried about the accident thing that I forgot to say, that the guitar string thought is a prettier good thought! Makes sence to me... dang... that would hurt too :| I for one DON'T wanna do that jsut to be like Edge :| But that's if it happend, who knows! :D

I've had a guitar string break and hit my face before. It leaves a nice gash and a bruise. Well it did on me anyway, lol. No permanant damage though.

Edgette said:
I've had a guitar string break and hit my face before. It leaves a nice gash and a bruise. Well it did on me anyway, lol. No permanant damage though.

Yeah, I learned the hard way not to lean over my guitar while tuning it. Stupid 6th string. :grumpy: It did cut the skin, but it's not noticable now.

A fight sounds more probable. I don't think his eye would droop like that if he got hit with a string. I can't see it doing that much damage. Poor Edge :hug:

Edgette said:

I broke a string once and it got my hand and it fucking hurted!!! :mad: I was just t]strarting playing guitar so that scared the shit out of me. Not only it left a bruise on it I had to replace that string (witch I hate :uhoh: )! Thank God I never got hit on my beautiful face. :wink: :lol: :yikes:

biff said:
According to the U2 Live book, they played in Belgium that night, October 24th. There are no special notes about that show. During their previous show, on October 21st, the notes indicate that "a brawl broke out" in the audience, and Bono interrupted the show to get the crowd to calm down.
That's all I could find. I'll keep digging.

i heard about the patch (prolly the link beli mentioned) but on the flemish site there is no comment about it.

This previous concert you're referring to (21st)didn't take place in belgium cus they had a concert in Brussels on the 23rd.
So I don' know where this brawl took place but it wasn't in Belgium.
The following concert was on the 25th in a very small venue but still no mention of the patch:(

Well, I went back to the U2 Live book, and there is no show listed for October 23rd, 1981.
On October 21st, they were at Hemel Hemstead, Pavilion. This is where "a brawl erupts". Their next show was on October 24th, 1981, at Dienze, Belgium, Brielpoort. This is apparently where the "eyepatch" pics come from, but are we sure of that?
(By the way, this book, U2 Live, is the definitive listing of U2 shows. Even the band has used it to check for information.)
Could these pictures be from a TV performance? The book says that on October 25th, they appeard on a live show called "Generation 80" on the Belgian/French station RTBF. They lipsynched(!!) to I Fall Down and Gloria.

biff said:
Well, I went back to the U2 Live book, and there is no show listed for October 23rd, 1981.
On October 21st, they were at Hemel Hemstead, Pavilion. This is where "a brawl erupts". Their next show was on October 24th, 1981, at Dienze, Belgium, Brielpoort. This is apparently where the "eyepatch" pics come from, but are we sure of that?
(By the way, this book, U2 Live, is the definitive listing of U2 shows. Even the band has used it to check for information.)
Could these pictures be from a TV performance? The book says that on October 25th, they appeard on a live show called "Generation 80" on the Belgian/French station RTBF. They lipsynched(!!) to I Fall Down and Gloria.

The site says Dienze, Belgium.

:lmao: Yea don't go (after freakin out of course :wink:) :
"Oh edge what was with the eye patch adn does it have to do with your wierd eye sagging thing?"

:lmao: I wonder what he would do... lol! I just find it hilarious...
I'm just sad and when I'm sad I find stupid things to be funny :( sorry guys... just tryin to get happy agian... :sigh:

Maybe you could print off one of those pics and ask him to autograph it for you. See what his reaction would be to seeing this very odd choice of picture. (Why are you sad, Lindsay, if you don't mind my asking?)

Oh, I'm sad cause all my so called friends from where I live, are assholes. Well, I really only have the one friend, Kelly. And the past 2 days (thursday and friday) her and her boyfriend were gettin on my nerves :(. Thrusday, Kelly and I were acting the same exact way, and her stupid rude ass boyfriend told ME to shut up. I was really hyper though, so I wasn't meaning to be annoying. Bu twhen he said all my hyperness went away... and I said to him ok I will. And he said I looked liek a frog :( kinda hurt me a little inside. And then yesterday, Kelly went and hung out with her new friends since her boyfreind wasnt there, and I was stuck doing everything, like cleaning up the messes and watering the plants.
Oh, this was during TBA both days, and in there I'm in agriscience so I deal with plants, it's pretty cool.

I dont know that its a weird eye sagging thing. I mean it is, lol, but everyone has scars etc. I think the marks of life little adventures make a person look more attractive.

And yes, I will chorus Biff, why are you sad? You can email me if you prefer. :hug:

Umm... TBA is just another place like school. But you go there to just take one class instead of three more different classes. Like, I'll go to my regular school in the morning and go for 3 hours (American Government, Technical writing, and then speech) and then after lunch I take a bus to TBA and take agriscience. And of course I wanted to take agriscience and so did kelly cause her fricken boyfriend was in it last year and it just so ended up he was takin the PM class like us. Ticks me off, I've always hated him. The first time he met me he said I aws wierd cause he walked in my room and seen Edge on the wall.
Does thatt explain TBA well or no?I'm bad at explaining things :huh:

Yeah, I think I understand. So you go to two different places every day? It sounds like a really unusual arrangement.
And Kelly's boyfriend is clearly a knob if he thinks your liking Edge makes you weird!

Yea pretty unusual arrangment, but it was a choice I had. I could eitehr go to TBA or stay at school for 6 classes, so I picked TBA cause school sucks.

Well, Kelly's boyfriend is pretty fricken retarted cause most of them time when Edge is brought up and he's around, it's Kelly that always does it. She'll just say "EDGE!" out of nowhere. Kinda stupid:tsk:, she doesn't even like him.
Or I'll be on the bus listening to music and she'll tap me and tell ,me to pause my music for a second and then say "EDGE!". It's pathetic, I don't even do that. Oh and if on the bus I don't want to pause my music, she gets mad and starts pouting. She's a spoilt little rich girl brat.
No offense to Edge and Bono's little girls and boys since they are rich :wink: I'm sure they're not like that.

Well, I'm sure Kelly must have some redeeming qualities, or you wouldn't hang out with her, but it's hard to see what they are!:wink:

Well, we are almost the exact same except she's rich and I'm not, she loves to hang around guys, loves sex, and the list gos on. lol. Well ok she isnt RICH rich, but I'm nowehre near her moneywise lol. But she's crazy and I'm crazy(wow maybe we're not almost exactly the same... cause that's all i can think of that's the same... except the weight thing and grades thing....) lol We're meant to be friends I know it, but all the people that I'm friends with blow me off when other people come around :(. Oh well. It must me cause I'm just shy and I stay out of the way when they talk to there friends, so I'm left out. I'm a loner :D YAY! Almost anyway...

Last edited:
I say tell the boyfriend to GO FUCK HIMSELF!!! Tell it straight to his face, tell him that he is an asshole and that he better watch out what he says about the things that you like. You seem to good to even hang out with that kelly bitch. She would probably be mad at you if you did that but personally, if I was in your position, I woulden't care.

Maybe I'm already too used to be all alone but I just don't like to take shit from anyone and don't care who you are, who you hang out wit or how fucking tall and strong you are, if you piss me off I'll fucking give you a piece of my mind.

I HATE BULLIES. :grumpy:

Last edited:
I've told Kelly I hate him and he's rude (never said ass though she might get a little way too mad about that) and she just looked really sad when I said it :( I know she wants us to get along, but I can't get along with him :tsk:
I've tried.

Back
Top Bottom