The Edge, just a question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thankyou

Refugee
:edge: Can anyone tell me what happened with The Edge on the Elevation Tour in Boston (DVD) . At the end of one song he throws his guitar down and then goes back and kicks it ? What happened? :ohmy:

I've heard so many different stories that I don't know what is true...

1. Bono said something before the song that he didn't like but that part was cut from the video.

2. He screwed up.

3. Larry screwed up counting or something like that which then screwed the whole band up.

I think #3 might be the case only because somewhere in the extra's on disc 1 in one of the documentaries there's a part where they show Edge yelling at Larry. I'm moving soon and already packed my dvd's or I'd find it. I know exactly where it is once I get into the video.

I've also read he dropped his pick (pic?) and had to play the solo at the end with his bare fingers...but I watched that part the other day and I think there would have been blood all over the place if that was true.

I vote for #3 - you're right, there's a part in the documentary where Edge seems to be yelling at Larry.

grey_018.jpg

Schmeg said:
I've also read he dropped his pick (pic?) and had to play the solo at the end with his bare fingers...but I watched that part the other day and I think there would have been blood all over the place if that was true.

OMGoodness?! Really? Blood will ooze? Now I know steel strings are more painful than nylon strings I'm used to, but honestly?! No way! You mean a pick is necessary for playing electric g.?

Yeah, this inceident always shocks me. Edge was always the cool and calm one. I heard it was cos Larry misread the signal and, instead of slowing down, went harder and faster so Edge had to go harder and louder too! Still, no reason to smash up a guitar some of us here can't even dream of holding.

Got video, anyone? *heheheh!* I'm in it for Adam, wonder how his reaction was?

I heard that first edge dropped the pick, and he tried to give some signal to larry to play slower, but larry misunderstood him and started playing FASTER. And.. well, it must hurt..
Can anyone be sure about this though?

edit:apparently I didnt read the post before mine. Sorry.. :huh:

ha,ha..I've never seen Edge so mad before :ohmy:
Which song was that?

Jam Jar said:
I think he said that he'd felt that he had "butchered" the song

I remember reading this somewhere

thankyou said:
:edge: Can anyone tell me what happened with The Edge on the Elevation Tour in Boston (DVD) . At the end of one song he throws his guitar down and then goes back and kicks it ? What happened? :ohmy:

omg I was there:hyper:

I feel bad for edge but it rocked:rockon:

He was telling Larry to slow down, but instead larry sped up...I dont' know if it was on purpose or not..

I couldn't believe what I was seeing:ohmy:

It was durring "Gone". I don't know if he dropped his pick or not, I'll have to go watch it again.

Schmeg said:

no there wouldn't have. you can play guitar with your fingers, some songs are actually played that way, it's called finger plucking. it's a lot harder to play that way then with a pick, which would be why he wasn't larry to slow down if he dropped his pick, but it's do-able. the only time guitarists get bloody fingers from the strings is when they're just starting out and don't have any caluses on their hands and then play for a long time. I play guitar and remember it hurting my fingers to play before they started getting caluses, given how much Edge plays he could probably play an entire concert with his fingers without doing any damage to them but you wouldn't want to.

forty said:

:eeklaugh:

I have npthing to add on the anser to the question, just an observation:
The Edge looks so incredibly mad here, and Larry just doesn't seem particularly concerned about it. :laugh: he's like 'What? Oh, you wanted me to slow down?" *scratches nose :shrug:

:lol:

i heard that the footage of the angry rant was from the first Boston show, where Larry cut Edge's solo and ended the song before Edge wanted, so Edge got mad and threw down. But the footage of the song performance was from the 2nd Boston show, which they nailed -- the editors just wanted to put Edge's tyrade in the video, i guess :shrug: .

You can tell that the fight is from a different show because Edge's gutiar changes -- its the Black one for the song, but at the end you can see that he fucks up the Fireglo (orange) one.

^Whoa. I just put it on and was literally keeping the beat of the song the WHOLE time, just to see if it sped up. It didn't. :huh: I didn't even notice the guitars:|

What a waste of 10 minutes. He was so effin' pissed...:ohmy:

discothequeLP said:
i heard that the footage of the angry rant was from the first Boston show, where Larry cut Edge's solo and ended the song before Edge wanted, so Edge got mad and threw down. But the footage of the song performance was from the 2nd Boston show, which they nailed -- the editors just wanted to put Edge's tyrade in the video, i guess :shrug: .

You can tell that the fight is from a different show because Edge's gutiar changes -- its the Black one for the song, but at the end you can see that he fucks up the Fireglo (orange) one.

I just watched it and was about to make that comment when I saw you'd already posted it.

The whole pick thing is probably not what happened. They have many picks around in case they need them. They have a whole bunch on the mic stand. Edge once said that they butchered the song that night so I think since they were being filmed they knew they couldn’t fuck it up but they did so Edge got a little pissed. And I'm glad he did cause that's one of the best live moments ever captured on tape of U2, in my humble opinion. I think the sound and image of that performance are cut together from the night Edge got mad and the next night when they played the song again. That’s the best version of Gone ever! I love it!

:reject: I think, you're right with "Gone". Sorry...
The story I heard, was that Edge lost the pic and wanted Larry to stop the song as early as possible, but Larry did not understand him and played an extra long version of the song...
:confused: Don't know if that's true.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I saw that in person, it was so damn hot :wink:

I was shocked, it was like Clark Kent turning into Superman

could you hear what was being said/yelled? I think it's pretty funny to see the Edge expressing some strong emotions for a change! :rant:
Did Bono say anything after the incident to the audience? Seems like he'd say something funny. :cool:

forty said:
I vote for #3 - you're right, there's a part in the documentary where Edge seems to be yelling at Larry.

grey_018.jpg

:yikes: geez I'd hate to be on the receiving end of that

It is wrong of me to find the whole thing REALLY attractive/sexy? *blushes*

Also, where is that capture from? Is that actually on the Boston DVD somewhere? I really want to see that, lol!

chickadee said:
It is wrong of me to find the whole thing REALLY attractive/sexy? *blushes*

Also, where is that capture from? Is that actually on the Boston DVD somewhere? I really want to see that, lol!

Yes it's on the DVD

and no, you are not wrong to find it sexy :wink:

MrsSpringsteen said:

Yes it's on the DVD

and no, you are not wrong to find it sexy :wink:

Where on the DVD? I've watched the main show loads and never noticed it - is it on another part?

Hehe, well that's alright then! ;)

I have the Boston DVD. I never really thought much of the fit though, and I've never seen the extra where Edge yells at Larry (I don't think it's on my DVD...where is it located?).

I always just assumed that it was for the performance, like the whole Bull/Matador thing Edge and Bono do for UTEOTW sometimes. These stories seem likely too though.

I'm a drummer, we never get that concerned when the rest of the band yells at us (lol).

Back
Top Bottom