The College Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
im a senior at biola university in LA. i graduate in may with a degree in math. i think im gonna teach high school. umm, extra-curricular? does sitting in front of bono's hotel on valentines day until 4:30am count?

alison

------------------
It doesn't matter what songs we sing. I'm a drummer. Chicks dig me. - Larry

University of Southern California, currently studying film production.

My only hobby as of right now is trying to get into the Grammys cause it's like 10 blocks away, I can pratically see Staples from my dorm. Oh well, eventually I'll get a life.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

Okay, so I'm a science geek, graduated last year with a B.Sc. in microbiology and immunology from McGill University here in Canada. BTW, McGill graduates include William Shatner (!) and Leonard Cohen(one my all time fave singer). Wanted to get into med school, only made it to the waiting list.
Tried working in a lab but I hated it. Currently taking some political science class to stay sane (I can only take so much bad afternoon tv).
BTW, I was a class rep in my second year of college which meant my title was U2 rep, thought it was kinda funny
rolleyes.gif

------------------
Get your head out of the mud baby...

All our songs are about God or women, and we often get the two mixed up.--Bono

My strongest trait is curiosity, I'm just lifting stones, you know, opening doors. Looking out windows, around corners, up skirts...--Bono

[This message has been edited by lady lemonade (edited 02-24-2002).]

[This message has been edited by lady lemonade (edited 02-24-2002).]

I think I'm a little too old for this thread, but what the hey.

I attended the University of Oklahoma and received my B.A. in Classics. (Classics is the study of the Latin and Greek languages + Roman and Greek cultures)

I then attended the University of Georgia and received my M.A. in Classics.

Now I teach Latin at the University of Oklahoma.

My only advice---screw lucrative, high-paying jobs/majors that you don't care about. Nothing beats doing something you enjoy, even if it's weird and no one understands it. I hope all the PLEBAns and various lurkers enjoy their college experiences!
smile.gif

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Originally posted by madonna's child:
Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~:
I am currently a senior at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, Ohio.

Oh my dad!!!!!!

I'm going to BGSU next fall as a freshman! How crazy is that!? But we'll miss each other by a year, Lady.
frown.gif

So close and yet so far to meeting a PLEBAian!

Nope, we'll get to meet! Guess what? I'm what's called a super-senior! I'm not graduating until next May...so I'll be there all of next year! Yep, going for the 5 year plan, lol...

This is so cool!! Do you know what dorm you'll be in and all that stuff? I'd love to show you around when you get here--I was so freaked out about finding my way across campus when I was a freshman! But I'd love to help out in anyway I can, and you can even see Larry's stick!
wink.gif

We'll have to keep in touch! If you want to email me, it's kjcoley@hotmail.com

Kristina

smile.gif

------------------
Show a little faith
There's magic in the night

i'm at mcgill too! Cool
smile.gif
don't feel bad that you got waitlisted--the med school is very tough to get into-- I'm in arts (Hispanic Studies and minor=History) but I have classmates/friends who are killing themselves about applying to med school, etc. Alas, my grades suck. Mayhaps I'll transfer closer to home next year...

I'm currently attending Marian College in Indianapolis, Indiana. I'm a sophmore. My major is Elementary Education and my minor is Music Education. Other activities= volunteer tutor for inner city kids at the elementary schools, project enhance (more tutoring, but for older kids on the weekends), and choir. Sooo...yeah, I am very busy!

Hugs and stuff,
Mary Ellen

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl:
My only advice---screw lucrative, high-paying jobs/majors that you don't care about. Nothing beats doing something you enjoy, even if it's weird and no one understands it. I hope all the PLEBAns and various lurkers enjoy their college experiences!
smile.gif

Right on, sista! I have some friends who are doing the money thing...and they hate what they're doing, having an awful time...

I, however, have choosen something I love...and I'm really enjoying it
smile.gif
At least, I'm enjoying the studying I'm doing in my major...other things leave something to be desired...but anyway, I've gotta stop posting because Sarah Orne Jewett and American Romanticism are calling my name...lol
smile.gif

------------------
ALOTWU!!!!

"This is very un-hip, you know, having the bleeding heart here...I've a reputation to live down to." -Bono

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

Originally posted by Bbug:
i'm at mcgill too! Cool
smile.gif
don't feel bad that you got waitlisted--the med school is very tough to get into-- I'm in arts (Hispanic Studies and minor=History) but I have classmates/friends who are killing themselves about applying to med school, etc. Alas, my grades suck. Mayhaps I'll transfer closer to home next year...

Wow! a McGill student here on PLEBA
smile.gif

Where are you from originally? I was born and raised in Montreal so I didn't have to go very far... I actually didn't apply to McGill med last year coz my MCAT score wasn't that great. I got on the Universite de Montreal list (my mother tongue is French)Don't know what I'm doing next year, though...

. Where do/did you go to college
4 and a half year senior at University of Oklahoma...English Education major, possibly communications minor. I studied at the University of Dundee in Scotland last year. OU has a wonderful study abroad program. They allow you to transfer the financial aid you recieve, since you officially remain an OU student and you pay for your tuition hours at OU.

4. Do you have any extracurricular activities that you participate in? (PLEBA doesn't count)
Amnesty International, actually OU puts on the longest running human rights festival in the world..one of the world's great ironies...I have heard that OU is the first campus to have a campus amnesty chapter...
Alpha Phi Omega...a service fraternity that I really respect and am somewhat active in
Wesley Foundation- my chosen campus christian group..we do quite a bit of local volunteering and such...
oh yeah, and I serve as a corporate slave 15 hours a week at JC Penney's

I'm in my last semester at the University of Wisconsin - Madison. I took a long time to decide my major, but I finally decided on psychology (almost did Russian, or history, or english, or Spanish, almost double-majored in zoology and psych) and I'm happy I did. Just the right combo of hard science and thinking and writing and being creative. It floats my boat.
smile.gif

I was thinkin maybe grad school, but it won't be next year. I'm currently shopping myself around for a job. Not fun! Activities ... hmmm. I work in a research lab studying infant language acquisition. It's cool.

I'm almost jealous of all you PLEBAns starting out in college next fall. You'll have such great times, girls. (And AP classes will get you extra credits, and if your universities are anything like mine, those credits will let you register earlier than many other people, and you're more likely to get classes you want. Which is a nice. Mwahahahahaha!)

Oh, and hey Khanada, my sister went to law school at the University of Memphis.

------------------
"No, I will not do the snake dance for you!"
~Bono

There is no way we could possibly do infinity push-ups.

I'm from Rhode Island, but I so love it here. My French is an atrocity, which is problematic, though...my mom's family is French-speaking and it's my godmother's mother tongue, so after I declared my major, everyone was like "Why don't you just come home if you wanna study Hispanic Literature? YOU'RE IN MONTREAL! Concentrate on French!" Of course, they're right...*sighs at self*

LOL Bbug...I know how you feel, though it's the opposite here...

I'm double majoring Eng and French Lit...in the Hispanic capital of the United States, lol

I don't think my logic was right on this one
smile.gif

------------------
ALOTWU!!!!

"This is very un-hip, you know, having the bleeding heart here...I've a reputation to live down to." -Bono

Originally posted by Bbug:
I'm from Rhode Island, but I so love it here. My French is an atrocity, which is problematic, though...my mom's family is French-speaking and it's my godmother's mother tongue, so after I declared my major, everyone was like "Why don't you just come home if you wanna study Hispanic Literature? YOU'RE IN MONTREAL! Concentrate on French!" Of course, they're right...*sighs at self*

LOL! I took two semesters of Spanish last year but I can hardly speak, only know the essentials: "Me llamo Melissa", "Donde est? los servicios", "Quiero una cerveza", and the likes. Let me know if you need help with your French
smile.gif

I GO TO Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana.
I AM MAJORING IN Anthropology, in order to be an archaeologist (GRAVE DIGGER!), which is my backup plan if my rock star plan doesn't work out.
Uh... I work up in the attic at the library, where I go through books the other libraries don't want or someone has donated and categorize them by subject and put them in the annual book sale. I'm usually the only one up there, it's dark, and I put on my headphones and sing and dance around like an idiot when I'm all alone. I make shit for pay and am only allowed to work 10 hours a week, but it's work-study so I get like $1000 a semester for it.

One of you high school chicks need to come here so you can room with me.

Aww! Thanks Chels- yes, I've considered photography actually... I may take that over the summer! And yes- that's coool about music appreciation classes! I'm kind of unsure about the music area. I've thought about producing, haha... but yes, I think that those kind of classes would be good to take!

And thanks to you too Fishy!!!!! Alllll of those classes really, really interest me! But I'm kind of wary about taking them because I don't really have any experience. I don't know if I need it or not, but I don't want to show up and be terrible at everything. I mean, I can draw a little bit, but I'm no professional.
Anyway, you've really helped a lot, believe it or not. I guess I just want to know if I should take these classes even though I'm a bit of a beginner.
Oh and
icon26.gif
at the no papers part! I'm horrible w/ papers...

Originally posted by Kristie:
I GO TO Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana.
I AM MAJORING IN Anthropology, in order to be an archaeologist (GRAVE DIGGER!), which is my backup plan if my rock star plan doesn't work out.

That's what my husband did. When we lived in Atlanta, he worked for a cultural resource management firm and got to work on some pretty snazzy projects. If you ever want to chat with him, let me know. He knows what it's like to be an archaeologist out in the real world. Best of luck to you.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

1. Where do/did you go to college I go to the University of Chicago (not the University of Illinois-Chicago. Also, not Northwestern. I swear, half my relatives think I go to one of those two schools). I'm a third-year, which is pretentious U of C speak for "junior". I'm doubling (or at least that's the current plan) in linguistics and poli sci, although based on my current semantics assignment, I feel like flushing the ling major down the crapper. So don't worry Mona! Most of us college students *still* don't know what we want to study! Seriously, I really love linguistics and poli sci (though never, ever at the same time
wink.gif
), though I think I'll probably end up doing more with the poli sci degree in the end. Linguistics is basically a labor of love. I may go to law school after college, but I'm not sure. Probably high time I decided, eh?

I kinda wish I was *starting* college again. It's all so exciting and new. A few words of advice for you all about to begin your college experience: DO WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT! Well, not quite. But that contains the basic sentiment I want to convey. Study what interests *you*. Take classes that you think sound cool. Do the activities that you think you will gain something from. Don't let anyone give you a pre-conceived notion about what you should or shouldn't study. And don't freak about not knowing what you want to do right away. You have plenty of time to decide. Oh, yeah, and study your asses off
smile.gif

And Mona, I feel for you on the whole $$$$$$$ issue. I'm going further and further into debt as we speak. And I too was staunchly against going to a big state school. And I was right. Nothing against big state schools (right, Brianne?
wink.gif
) but if you think you'll thrive better in a small-school environment, then you're probably right.

4. Do you have any extracurricular activities that you participate in? (PLEBA doesn't count) Ah, I used to do extracurriculars. Serious overachiever...then I came to college. Well, that's not entirely true. I work with a couple political groups on campus and I work at the University of Chicago Press. It's kinda boring, but the people are nice and I get to read all these cool books before they're published.

Aaaaand...I think that's it!

Originally posted by Hallelujah Here She Comes:
Nothing against big state schools (right, Brianne?
wink.gif
) but if you think you'll thrive better in a small-school environment, then you're probably right.

Don't be knockin' big state schools, byotch!
biggrin.gif
During my senior year of high school I was adamant that I would never go to a big school. I wanted a small one. Or, at the very biggest, a middle-sized one. I really, really wanted to go to Dartmouth, actually. But then big ugly $$$$$ issues reared their heads, I realized I didn't want to graduate with debt up the wazoo, and I "settled" for the University of Wisconsin.

Aaand, four years later, I don't regret it at all. Small schools are great, but big schools have a ton of opportunities, and you definitely find your niche. I feel like I challenged myself in a lot of ways that I wouldn't have been challenged if I hadn't come here.

However, that's not to say it's for everyone, or that one is necessarily better than the other. If you know what you want, and can afford it, go for it! But my giant university ended up pleasantly surprising me. (And it has a really excellent, nationally known psych program -- which worked out well.)
smile.gif

------------------
"No, I will not do the snake dance for you!"
~Bono

There is no way we could possibly do infinity push-ups.

Hey Mooky, yeah totally take the classes!

I had never touched clay or ceramics or stained glass...oh yeah! I forgot my fave class! STAINED GLASS! Rock the FREAK on! Anyway...the 100/200 level classes are made for beginners, most of them will state in the catalog if you need experience or whether they will teach you all you need to know. If you have questions, my advice is to email or call the prof. They will let you know whether it would be above your head. But I had no problem just jumping into the classes and projects. And...

*pssst* just between us...

Art students may look like the scariest people on the face of the planet, but we are all really nice people...just a little shy *but that's just between you and me, I am letting out state secrets here*

So if you feel lost, just ask somebody, I have never met someone who wouldn't help me. They may have looked like they would rather run away screaming, but they help...lol.

So I say go for it! If you are still unsure, why not start out undeclared and take some art courses that would apply to a minor in art if you chose you don't like it. Then you could always declare another major.

Ok well, time for class...I have to go work on a painting this morning...blah...how many times can you paint a fruit and make it look interesting...*sigh* First assignments are always still life...

Fishy

------------------
The Macphisto Society
Being Bad Never Looked So Good

Wednesday + MPS = NAKED TIME!!!

"Except it may have been Care Bears" ~Opal

1. Where do/did you go to college

Salisbury State University, Salisbury MD

3. If you haven't decided where to apply, what kind of program are you looking for?
I double majored in History and Biology, minored in Chemistry. I then went on the graduate school in the History of Science at the University of Maryland, College Park.

4. Do you have any extracurricular activities that you participate in? (PLEBA doesn't count)
smile.gif

I ran cross country, and track, worked on the school paper, did lots of volunteer work, and got a job before my senior year working in Ocean City!! HA!

------------------
***ALOTWU***

[This message has been edited by elizabeth (edited 02-25-2002).]

I'm at Concordia University in Montreal, Quebec, majoring in Creative Writing and minoring in Political Science, although I'm thinking about transferring to McGill (in Montreal as well) to go into International Development Studies. We'll see....

Extracurricular activities: I used to ride horses a lot, I don't as much anymore and miss it terribly, in time I am going to start again. I also love photography- mostly nature, but I've recently gotten into concert photography as well (wonder how that started? ;-))

As for volunteering... I'm a volunteer at the Social Justice Commitee of Montreal, it's similar to Jubilee and Drop the Debt, dealing with issues of economic justice in third world, among other things.

*ahem* IF I can handle keeping my grades up in my oh so difficult 2 required classes for another 2 WHOLE weeks I shall graduate. It's going to be tough...
rolleyes.gif

After those GRUELLING 2 weeks I shall be attending the University of South Dakota in Vermillion (the very bottom south east corner) and studying history.

they better like u2 there....

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

Judoooooooo Chop!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I JUST GOT INTO CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY, MY TOP CHOICE!!!!!!!!!!

*dies happy*
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Youse guys gave me good luck, methinks
wink.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~
ani_bono.gif

LOVE me, give me SOUL

Kick start my rock 'n rollin? heart. ~J.E.W.

"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~Bono

"I...I had a one night stand with the Discoteque video" ~Mona
The Man Corral

CONGRATS, MONA!!

Bono is happy for you, as well.
cute_bono.jpg

------------------
"Adam's in his world, lost to the music. You've probably never seen a happier person in your life."
~BP Fallon

"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."
~Andrew Jackson

It's down here in Union county...aka middle of nowhere (I guess it's the bottom southeast corner of nowhere...)

stout46.gif

------------------
90% lazy. 10% something else.

Judoooooooo Chop!

OMD! Mona!!!!

Congratulations!

I so remember the feeling! (No wait, nevermind...sorry, just a little bitterness...
smile.gif
)

But enough about me...

That seriously is really great, Mona. I feel so proud...lol, I have no idea why...maybe cause I'm just so happy to see someone else so happy...and I completely remember the whole application/acceptance process...

WOOHOO!!!! MonaParty!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
ALOTWU!!!!

Originally posted by Mirrorball Girl:
CONGRATS, MONA!!

Bono is happy for you, as well.
cute_bono.jpg

!!!!!!! THANK YOU
biggrin.gif

------------------
~*Mona*~
ani_bono.gif

LOVE me, give me SOUL

Kick start my rock 'n rollin? heart. ~J.E.W.

"I think I just said I was smart there - I'm sorry about that." ~Bono

"I...I had a one night stand with the Discoteque video" ~Mona
The Man Corral

Originally posted by ZooGrl:
I'm at Concordia University in Montreal, Quebec, majoring in Creative Writing and minoring in Political Science, although I'm thinking about transferring to McGill (in Montreal as well) to go into International Development Studies. We'll see....

Hey, I'm taking a poli sci class at Concordia this semester! Intro to international relations (or something like that...) I love it, might do another bachelor in poli sci at McGill
smile.gif

------------------
Get your head out of the mud baby...

All our songs are about God or women, and we often get the two mixed up.--Bono

My strongest trait is curiosity, I'm just lifting stones, you know, opening doors. Looking out windows, around corners, up skirts...--Bono

WOW! I didn't realize there were so many college students on PLEBA! Well, I'm one of them too!!!!!! I am currently at the University of Oklahoma but I am transfering to New York City next year.

Back
Top Bottom