The Band Recieving Humanitarian Honor In Portugal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

one4u2

ONE love, blood, life
:applaud:

53387237.jpg

53387241.jpg

LISBON, Portugal -- Members of U2 received Portugal's Order of Liberty, one of the country's highest honors, on Sunday in recognition of their work for humanitarian causes over the past 25 years.

President Jorge Sampaio presented the medals to vocalist Bono, guitarist The Edge, bassist Adam Clayton and drummer Larry Mullen Jr. in a formal ceremony at the presidential palace before the band's concert in the Portugese capital.

U2's activism during their career include work with Amnesty International and efforts to get global powers to forgive Third World debt. The band played at the Live Aid concert for Ethiopian famine relief in 1985, and was one of the key performers last month at the Live 8 concerts, aimed at pressuring the world's wealthiest nations to increase aid for Africa.

More than 50,000 people were expected to attend the concert at a soccer stadium Sunday night, the final European date on the band's "Vertigo" tour, which is in support of its most recent album, "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb."

The band returns to North America next month, beginning with four shows in Toronto on Sept. 14. The tour wraps up Dec. 19 in Portland, Ore.

one4u2 said:

Here's another great photo to analyze body language with. They're all so... Them.

:bono:: I'm going to cover up whatever slight bit of nervousness I have by acting relaxed and a bit silly.

:larry:: Another %*&#@ photo. I'll just stand here with my hands crossed and try to look inconspicuous.

:edge:: This is a formal ceremony, therefore I must look formal... I wonder what the origin is of that medal design?

:adam:: What a lovely work of art on that far wall. This whole thing seems a bit silly, but for the sake of the band...

:wink:

PopDaisy

Back
Top Bottom