The band land in Japan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
blueeyedgirl said:

I don't have anything against the chick in question, I reiterate that a local missed out, nothing more.

Locals got 21 songs and an outpouring of enthusiasm from the band--and were the first to hear One Tree Hill. Can't imagine how 2 minutes of dancing on the stage could possibly detract from that--unless getting on stage is the only thing that would make the concert worthwhile :slant:

Liesje said:
It just kind of random to bring it up now. It's been the case the whole tour, "locals" not being the ones that get chosen. New Zealand and Japan were not the first. My friend went up twice in Chicago, and we're not from Chicago, Miroslava went up in Chicago and Cleveland, and she's from the Detroit area, the flag thing in Boston with people from all over (so cool, btw), Tara in Denver, Mandy in Salt Lake.....I could go on and on. Seems like 2/3 of the time the person isn't "local". :shrug:

I thank everyone for a very respectful discussion of this "issue" but, Liesje, you stated it all when you said that it seems like 2/3 of the time the person isn't local.

Personally, I think that is a shame and I would actually challenge Bono on this if I ever got the chance to challenge him.:wink:

I think that he is going to play it " too safe" with pulling folks up on stage then he should probably just stop it.

My opinion - no one has to agree with it - or challenge it.

I respect your right to have your opinion. I hope that you'll respect my right to have mine.

LOVE AND PEACE.... ;)

Well, yeah, like I already said, ideally they'd all be locals, but how is Bono suppose to know? :eyebrow: Should Laura have turned down the offer to play Party Girl b/c she didn't grow up in Chicagoland? At the shows I went to, out of all the people in the first few rows along the front rail and outer ellipse rails, I'd wager only 5% of them were local to the given venue on any night. My first GA experience was in the midwest and we spent the day hanging out with a mom and daughter from Santiago, Chile. The point of pulling girls up has more to do with the mood of the song than letting local fangirls represent. It's not a very practical expectation, and like others have said, if it bothers people so much that the on-stagers aren't local, then go to a local culture festival, not a rock concert on a world tour.

I agree he should just stop it, not because I care who gets picked, but because people constantly get their panties in a bundle over nothing.

Jamila said:

I thank everyone for a very respectful discussion of this "issue" but, Liesje, you stated it all when you said that it seems like 2/3 of the time the person isn't local.

Personally, I think that is a shame and I would actually challenge Bono on this if I ever got the chance to challenge him.:wink:

I think that he is going to play it " too safe" with pulling folks up on stage then he should probably just stop it.

My opinion - no one has to agree with it - or challenge it.

I respect your right to have your opinion. I hope that you'll respect my right to have mine.

LOVE AND PEACE.... ;)

I've read all of this and it is just the silliest arguement!

1) You are entitled to your opinion, but people have clearly explained why they don't wish to discuss it. * Why* do you insist on bringing the subject back up? Besides, there are much more important things to worry about in the world than who Bono pulls up on stage!

2) Why challenge him? It is not "a shame"--it is not even remotely by any stretch of the imagination an injustice! There are *much* more important things in the world to be worried about!

3) Only a (very small) number of Plebans really care about this anyway--most of the fans at the concerts (and most Plebans) don't care...because there are much, much more *important* things in the world to be worried about!!!

In short, it is just a part of the performance. It is a symbolic way of connecting with the audience. It doesn't actually matter who gets pulled up there (they are just a symbol; they represent the audience). The only important thing is the "connection" with the crowd...and there are more important things to worry about than Who Gets To Represent The Audience!

(Not to mention, if his own bandmates and security can't get him to stop pulling people on stage...:wink: )

...For that matter (touching on Liesje's post), when a group of determined fans insist on going to multiple shows and try to get as close to the stage as possible, of course the chances of the locals are going to go down...

Still doesn't matter...

I personally believe Bono should stop with this pulling of young girls up on stage. :tsk: Most of the time they're like stunned mullets anyway. :|

He should be pulling up the older, more experienced woman....:evil:

kimby said:
...For that matter (touching on Liesje's post), when a group of determined fans insist on going to multiple shows and try to get as close to the stage as possible, of course the chances of the locals are going to go down...

Still doesn't matter...

In some societies, women would be ostracized for doing something like going on stage and grabbing some dude. Hell - even here in the US people use terms like "rail skank". Imagine what would happen in more conservative countries.

can we please drop this discussion now. :mad: How many times does it have to be said over and over here that we should leave this discussion alone for god's sake it just brings out the worse in people... If you feel the need to discuss this take it to PM's or email or whatever..
I feel guilty for posting this :| initially. I just can't believe this would start the whole thing up again.. I am sorry to everyone but really you don't need to respond to it especially if you know about past discussions on it and what road that it lead us down..:huh:

Galeongirl said:

Try an army store :) I found one at the H&M here (big clothes store) :D

He really looks like a little boy when he wears the monstrosity backwards :cute:
I'm so with you GG on the hat!! btw its Octu2 I wish Ali would hid it or burn it.

Just my 2 cents, don't read it if you don't want to. :D

I think he pulls up the same girls because he knows they are "safe" as others have put it. I also think that the first row is usually full of the same people so he doesn't have much to chose from so he ends up with the same girls he knows and probably likes. :shrug:

In the end its his show, he can choose who he wants.

Would I like it to be me one day? Sure what girl wouldn't. Am I jealous? Of course. Not in a negative hateful way. I'm so happy for all the chosen girls and I love to read their stories. I can only dream of what it would be like.

If I ever do dance with him and get chosen for a second dance, would I say "no, pick a local girl"? Hell no! And I'm pretty sure most of you here wouldn't as well.

Would I like him to pick new girls at every show? Of course, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

Last edited:
Quick, get this discussion back on track--more "band in Japan" pics, please!:drool:

kimby said:
Quick, get this discussion back on track--more "band in Japan" pics, please!:drool:

thank you....please folks back to topic of the thread. pretty please!:sigh:

3.gif

blueeyedgirl said:

Hey I'm surprised that noone said anything in any of the Tour threads about whatshername getting on stage again in Auckland, and I'm assuming she isn't a kiwi.

Bono certainly is monogamous :wink:

I think her name is Khelia, and she's on the Chicago DVD. I think she's been onstage like 5 times on this tour. Thats very dedicated to travel all the way to NZ to catch a show!

You cant really blame these girls for getting onstage again. Who would pass that opportunity? I wouldnt! :D

Then again, it would have been nice to have seen a local fan get up at the 2nd Auckland show, but what can you do?

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. :)

blueeyedgirl said:
I personally believe Bono should stop with this pulling of young girls up on stage. :tsk: Most of the time they're like stunned mullets anyway. :|

He should be pulling up the older, more experienced woman....:evil:

OMG....blueeyedgirl we agree!!!! totally!

ok :hmm: Edge using rickenbacker for WITS, as predicted... but he's using a gibson SG(Music rising) for Vertigo? :scratch: that's odd! He always uses either the green stratocaster or the yellow telecaster...

Back
Top Bottom