"Stuff" magazine insults Adam - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-08-2006, 09:26 AM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 03:45 PM
"Stuff" magazine insults Adam

On page 29 of the May issue, they have a thing called 'hit list' and they label it 'Schmuck of the draw" "no talent no problem" about people they think lucked into something they didn't deserve. They put a picture of his head and said:

U2's Adam Clayton: has made millions of bucks and nailed tons of models merely by thumping the world's simplest baselines."

This is so rude! He is a good bass player, and the only model he ever 'nailed' was Naomi Campbell. They also diss Jim Belushi, saying he'd never be famous if it weren't for his famous, more talented dead brother.

Let's write in and tell them we don't agree!
Stuff@palmcoastd.com

Old 04-08-2006, 09:36 AM   #2
The Fly

bleepers adams not only a great bass player his cool got carisma looks and has the best dress sence in u2 (except for the zoo tv era) they just do that to get a cheap laugh

Old 04-08-2006, 09:40 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 04:45 PM
Adam is the best bass player! What are they talking about, they should try to play his lines, we'll see how far they get! Let's ignore this article, we all know the truth
Old 04-08-2006, 10:43 AM   #4
The Fly

Thats what newspapers and magazines are well known for, they have nothing better to do then insult cool, innocent people.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #5
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:45 AM
They'll be hearing from me. I think everyone who disagrees should definitely let them know it.

(I'm putting a copy of my letter in my journal if anyone is interested)
Old 04-08-2006, 11:12 AM   #6
The Fly

Hmmm...my intuition tells me the people who wrote that are the type who would overplay every song in an effort to be impressive.
Old 04-08-2006, 11:26 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Don't you see - they want this kind of reaction. That's why they've written it. Obviously they've nothing else to fill their crappy mag with and therefore know that if they insult perfectly talented ppl, folks like us will contact them and hey...good reaction from the public! Makes 'em look good, makes 'em look like they're doing something right if they get a good response. 'Course, another reason could simply be that they're jealous of Adams' success as a musician and his attraction to women...I wonder if the article was written by a man? lol...(probably some wimp with a none existant willy)...
Old 04-08-2006, 11:56 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:45 AM
Adam also had a tremendous role in the begining for band. He is so much more than a bass player....How dare they!
Old 04-08-2006, 12:21 PM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by JCOSTER
Adam also had a tremendous role in the begining for band. He is so much more than a bass player....How dare they!
Isn't the editor/founder of Stuff magazine Bob Guicioni (sp) Jr.? I recall reading he had some sort of beef with U2, and if he is the editor of that magazine, I wouldn't bother responding to this.

Keep in mind, only the really "into" the band fans would know of Adam's crucial role in the band's history, or that if it wasn't for him, U2 may have not been more than a blurb in Irish history books.

Edge wasn't sure he wanted to stay in the band, Adam booked their early concerts, made little business cards, he put ads in papers to get their name out there, he took the band seriously before anyone else did according to Bono.

Adam's not regarded as one of the top bassists, but "made millions merely by thumping the worlds' simplest basslines" is way off. Don't expect the writer of the article to do extensive research on the bands' history though.

Probably only Edge gets named among the best guitarists but even then some people don't think he's that great either.

Walk on. Don't feed the trolls ye know.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:23 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by thrillme

Isn't the editor/founder of Stuff magazine Bob Guicioni (sp) Jr.? I recall reading he had some sort of beef with U2, and if he is the editor of that magazine, I wouldn't bother responding to this.

Keep in mind, only the really "into" the band fans would know of Adam's crucial role in the band's history, or that if it wasn't for him, U2 may have not been more than a blurb in Irish history books.

Edge wasn't sure he wanted to stay in the band, Adam booked their early concerts, made little business cards, he put ads in papers to get their name out there, he took the band seriously before anyone else did according to Bono.

Adam's not regarded as one of the top bassists, but "made millions merely by thumping the worlds' simplest basslines" is way off. Don't expect the writer of the article to do extensive research on the bands' history though.

Probably only Edge gets named among the best guitarists but even then some people don't think he's that great either.

Walk on. Don't feed the trolls ye know.

Old 04-08-2006, 12:46 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:45 AM
Very well said, thrillme!

However, any kind of reaction or attention that a magazine elicits, whether good or bad, is always good for them. I don't know if I'll write in, because I don't want to feed the monster, but it still makes me mad.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:15 PM   #12
War Child

Location: Bowie was right! There IS life on Mars! Well, Newcastle's near enough
Ooooh! Mark my words; when I become a music journalist, I sha'n't be dissing the wonderous Adam Clayton! Nor the rest of the band, but that's a given, innit?
Old 04-08-2006, 01:50 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

I don't waste my time with idiots like Guiccione. I agree, don't feed the trolls.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:29 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

I know nothing about the magazine or it's editors, but I'll just say I was in a bad mood and they made a great target for me to complain about/to I feel much better now

besides, it was fun to threaten the loss of money to a magazine I would never waste my money on anyway
Old 04-08-2006, 03:39 PM   #15
The Fly

Re: "Stuff" magazine insults Adam

U2's Adam Clayton: has made millions of bucks and nailed tons of models merely by thumping the world's simplest baselines."

Hmmm...how about he tirelessly promoted a fledgeling rock band in a country that never had one survive beyond their shores before...guess they forgot that minor detail.
He's part of the four-legged table that keeps the others supported and moving along, and part of survival mechanism (his words) that keeps them sane.
(He's got a bottle of superglue...)

No Adam = no U2.

Hundreds of thousands of screaming fans can't be wrong for all these years.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:37 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 12:45 PM
Re: Re: "Stuff" magazine insults Adam

Quote:
Originally posted by Rini

Hmmm...how about he tirelessly promoted a fledgeling rock band in a country that never had one survive beyond their shores before...guess they forgot that minor detail.
He's part of the four-legged table that keeps the others supported and moving along, and part of survival mechanism (his words) that keeps them sane.
(He's got a bottle of superglue...)

No Adam = no U2.

Hundreds of thousands of screaming fans can't be wrong for all these years.
very well said.
Old 04-09-2006, 12:28 AM   #17
War Child

Re: "Stuff" magazine insults Adam

Quote:
Originally posted by Laurel Hill
On page 29 of the May issue, they have a thing called 'hit list' and they label it 'Schmuck of the draw" "no talent no problem" about people they think lucked into something they didn't deserve. They put a picture of his head and said:

This is so rude! He is a good bass player, and the only model he ever 'nailed' was Naomi Campbell. They also diss Jim Belushi, saying he'd never be famous if it weren't for his famous, more talented dead brother.

Let's write in and tell them we don't agree!
Stuff@palmcoastd.com

O Rly?

What about New Year's Day?
What about Lady with the Spinning Head?

Adam is the backbone of that band!
Old 04-09-2006, 02:52 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 01:15 AM
Wow, that was a very successful fishing trip there. Hooked, line and sinker.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:16 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:45 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by thrillme

He was dating Kim Deal of the Pixies around the time The Pixies were touring with U2 during Zoo TV and when they got kicked off the tour. Suposedly she kept a tour diary that was printed in Spin and suposedly it had some made up stuff in it or something..
Old 04-09-2006, 07:14 AM   #20
The Fly

what made up stuff you mean about u2 does enyone know what she wrote?

and whos the pixies