Stealing from the thieves pt 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
Disclaimer: Though the author spends much time pondering the subject, she has absolutely no insight to U2's true feelings and reactions. This is all a work of her imagination, reflections of her perceptions. None of it is real, true or ever will be. Not real. Fiction. Fantasy. The further along the series gets, the further it gets from reality. Should not be considered in any way a true representation of any of the people mentioned within

Part 6: Thief of hearts

“Cat? Cat! HELLO?!?!” Genie was calling from the front desk, just 25 feet away, through the open glass doors. Cat stirred from her comfy seat behind the counter at the gift shop, not asleep but not exactly awake, either. Genie worked at the front desk at the Rock & Soul museum, selling admission passes and doing introductions for the self-guided tours every twenty minutes. Cat worked right next to her in the gift shop, where everyone emerged after completing the tour. It was a common setup in Memphis; people come in to the museum and they have no choice but to exit through the gift shop. They would still be excited and enthused about what they had just experienced and buy all sorts of nonsense they would otherwise never look twice at.

“What?” Cat asked, leaning over the counter and yelling out the door.

“Wake up, chick, we just had a huge group come through here. They’ll be hitting you in the next ten or twenty minutes.” Genie informed her. “I can’t believe you didn’t notice how crowded the lobby was. What’s the matter with you today?”

“Gee, I dunno, Genie. Maybe I was doing something important last night. Hmmm… what did I do last night?” Cat replied sarcastically. “Oh, that’s right, I performed in concert with U2 at the Pyramid.”

“Yeah, I heard they took pity on you guys and let your little band sing a couple songs.” Genie said, rolling her eyes. Genie and Cat had never particularly liked each other, and everyone knew it. Thankfully, management usually scheduled them to work different days. Working with her today was just another little drop in the bucket of her pain.

At least this was the last tour of the day. Of course, with a big group they almost always took three times as long as they ought to. The sign on the door said they closed in half an hour, but they’d be lucky to get out of there in less than two. Cat swallowed three more Ibuprofen tablets with what was left in the bottom of a cold cup of coffee and prayed for the strength and patience to get through another two hours.

Her mind kept going back to last night. She thought about each of the men, artists whom she had admired a great deal before she met them. She still admired them, they were incredible performers and each of them was so nice. Bono’s energy was even more intoxicating in person, Adam’s smile even sweeter. Edge was so much the type of person you would want on your side in any sort of situation, smart and strong of spirit. Larry was, too. Strong, solid. All of them comfortable with who they were in a way Cat and her friends had never been. Maybe never would be. There was a big part of her that longed to see them again.

Her pride, on the other hand, was glad that she would most likely never cross paths with them again. She had made a fool of herself; throwing up on Bono, making a pass at Adam… She could tell when Larry looked at her he was less than impressed, and she couldn’t blame him. No, it was a good thing that they were probably on a plane back to Ireland or wherever they were working at the moment. It was a good thing, she told herself, even if it did make her heart ache to think about it.

She patiently waited on the tourists as they filed slowly out of the museum, wishing that they would simply decide to move on without wandering about the small store, looking over every little souvenir as if they were making the most important decision of their lives. Out of the corner of her eye she caught a teenager slipping something into his jacket pocket.

“Hey!” She called out to him, and he knew immediately that he’d been caught and so he broke into a run for the front door. Cat planted a foot on the chair and launched herself over the counter, catching the thief by the collar.

“Lemme go!” he demanded.

“Empty your pockets.” She ordered him dryly, watching as the boy produced three CD’s and a harmonica from his pockets. “It’s your lucky day, I’m too tired to call the cops. Get out of here, and don’t come back.” She told him, gathering the pilfered goods so she could return them to the shelves. The boy was clearly relieved. He spun on his heel and bolted out the door, and continued to run all the way down the block.

“Remind me not to get on your bad side.” She heard an all too familiar voice say from the gift shop behind her. Her eyes grew wide and round in disbelief and her heart jumped up into her throat. No. It wasn’t possible. She was imagining the Irish accent, her mind severely hung over and playing tricks on her. She told herself all of this, yet she was afraid to turn around. Finally, strengthening her will with a deep breath, she turned to see Bono leaning lazily against the counter.

He wore a pair of his infamous sunglasses, hiding his beautiful blue eyes, and one of the cowboy hats he was so fond of. His hands were tucked up into the sleeves of his leather jacket, just the fingertips showing, giving him a boyish air despite his age. He smiled that beautiful smile at her, and she felt her own mouth turn up automatically to smile back.

“What are you doing here?” She asked, moving around him to her seat behind the counter.

“I came to see you.” He told her, and she was glad her back was turned so he couldn’t see her grinning like an idiot. For the life of her, no matter how hard she tried, she simply could not keep herself from grinning. He was here to see her. “I wanted to bring you the bill for my shoes.” He said, his voice perfectly serious. Cat spun to look at him, her jaw dropping in shock, her eyebrows drawn down in a frown.

“What? You.. I…!” She stammered, and a smile spread across his face.

“I’m only teasing you.” He said, clearly amused by his own joke. Before Cat could think of a witty remark, the door from the museum swung open and she turned instinctively to see Adam emerging from the museum.

“So that’s where that bass went.” He said. “He’s always giving things like that away without asking.” He told Cat, nodding at Bono. Cat blinked at him, unable to find her voice. In fact, she realized, she was holding her breath. She smiled quietly and looked down at the countertop. She had never been a particularly shy person, but as soon as she saw Adam, her cheeks flushed bright red.

“The museums clear.” Genie announced as she emerged from the museum, having checked for stragglers hiding inside so she could close up shop. As soon as her eyes fell on Bono, the girl became even more annoying than ever.

“Oh my God!” She squealed. “You’re…. You’re…”

“Yes, yeah. That’s right.” He agreed, and Cat rolled her eyes. Even after all these years, he still loved it when women reacted this way. He ate this kind of stuff up. Cat could hardly imagine living a life interrupted by this kind of interruption happening often.

“Wow, this is so cool!” She exclaimed. “Can I get your autograph?” She asked.

“Sure.” He told her, pulling a sharpie out of his back pocket faster than a gun fighter could have pulled their six shooter. Cat hid her smile behind her hand and looked up at Adam who now stood beside her. He smiled at her.

“Can you do me a favor?” Genie asked, turning to Adam. Cat half expected him to produce a marker as well, always ready and eager to sign autographs. Genie wasn’t really looking at him, though. Not like she was looking at Bono. She thrust her camera phone into Adam’s hands. “Will you take a picture of us?” She asked, and Cat snorted with laughter. She turned away from the scene, and specifically Genie, who was scowling at her for her outburst.

Bono graciously signed the Rock&Soul brochure Genie had decided she wanted him to sign, and Adam snapped a couple of pictures for the annoying girl. Cat noticed over his shoulder that he’d been careful to shoot too far to the left or right in each snapshot, cutting half of one or the other of them out. She couldn’t help but admire his subtle vindictiveness.

“Does this happen a lot?” Cat asked him softly. “Bono getting recognized and you being…”

“Mistaken for a lackey?” He finished her thought for her. “Once in awhile. People who don’t know anything much about our music but are celebrity conscious enough to know his mug.” He replied with a little smile, and she could tell he wasn’t particularly offended.

“So what are you doing here?” Genie asked Bono, and he turned back to the counter to face Cat. He tossed three copies of the Tequila Monsters CD down next to the cash register. Genie’s eyes narrowed in disbelief.

“I heard this was the only place I could be guaranteed to find these.” He informed her. Cat was nearly as flabbergasted as genie, but she managed to hide it a little better. There were only two tracks on the CD; Their original song ‘Black Leather’ and a cover of Patti Smith’s ‘Dancing barefoot’.

“You don’t have to pay for those.” She informed him. “If I’d thought you’d want one I would have brought some in from home. I’ll just replace these from that stash tomorrow.” She shrugged, trying desperately to be casual. Genie’s face was crimson with jealousy, and it was taking every ounce of self control Cat had not to smirk in the girl’s face.

“Thanks.” Bono said, holding out the marker he had just used to sign Genie’s autograph for Cat to take. Cat stared at it blankly for a moment before she realized what he was doing. She smiled a crooked smile at him and rolled her eyes. He was laying it on a bit thick, now. Still, she took the marker and signed the inserts on the CD’s. From the look on Genie’s face, she thought the girl might actually fall to the floor, dead of envy. Once she had signed them, Bono collected the CD’s tucking two of them in his jacket pocket and tossing the third to Adam.

Cat’s heart skipped several beats. Why did it matter more to her that Adam had wanted a copy of their CD? She couldn’t explain it, the need she felt for Adam to respect her. It was a strong urge, though, one she couldn’t deny.

“Well, if you’re closing that means you can go get some dinner with us.” Bono said, and if Cat had wanted to refuse, she couldn’t have. Between Genie’s presence and the way it seemed Bono was announcing this as a fact, rather than a request, she wasn’t about to say no.

Adam, Bono, and two bodyguards who’d been introduced the night before as Jimmy and Doug, waited patiently outside while Cat and Genie closed the museum and locked the doors behind them. For a moment, Cat expected Genie to follow them as they jaywalked across the street and made a beeline for Beale street, which was just a block away. Fortunately, she must have realized she was not a member of the dinner party, because when they reached the corner, she turned and walked the opposite way.

“Charming girl.” Bono quipped, casting a glance over his shoulder to see that she was gone.

“She’s great, isn’t she?” Cat agreed sarcastically.

“Best friends, are ya?” He teased, smiling that smile that had won so many hearts.

“Mmmm. Something like that.” She agreed as he opened the door to BB King’s club and waited for her to enter.

The bodyguards were happy to be nearby to assure the trio would manage to eat in relative peace. Bono, of course, made their jobs as difficult as possible by making his way through the room greeting people and chatting strangers up as if they were old friends. The bodyguards were used to this, even if it did make things tricky for them, they had learned to accept that he wasn’t about to change.

Cat slid into a booth seat and soon found herself pinned between the wall and Adam. Not that she would ever complain about being in such a place. It had relieved her, in fact, that he had slid into the seat beside her. After the way she’d behaved the evening before, she wouldn’t have blamed him for sitting across the table. Or in a whole different booth.

All day she’d been branding herself an idiot. He must have some woman coming on to him every time he turns around, and women far more beautiful and worldly than she was. He’d been engaged to an exotic, beautiful super-model for God’s sake! Cat was neither super-model beautiful nor exotic. She was glad he seemed to have forgotten her clumsy attempts to kiss him the night before. Even if it did make her pride ache a little that he seemed to have forgotten it so soon.

“So have you always lived around here?” Adam asked, making polite conversation as they scanned the menus.

“No, I was born up in New England. My Mother was from Boston. I was five when my dad and I moved down here. We lived in Nashville for a little bit, but I’ve been in Memphis most of my life. I think I was six or seven. It was while I was in kindergarten or first grade, anyway.” She replied while trying to find something on the menu which would settle in her sensitive stomach.

“Just your Da?” Bono asked, and Cat looked up from her menu to meet his eyes. She hadn’t even thought he was listening.

“Yeah. My mom ran out on us. I never really got to know her.” She shrugged, hoping they would simply accept this and let it drop. She didn’t want to get into the messy details of her youth. It was too much of a soap opera for her tastes. She preferred to live in the here and now.

“Sorry to hear that.” Bono told her, receiving the message loud and clear that this topic was off limits. He filed it away in his memories for further examination at a later date. “So, is it safe to assume I can’t buy you a pint?” he teased.

“Uh, yeah that’s safe to say. I’ll stick to tea tonight, thank you very much.” She agreed with a smile. The weight of her embarrassment was liftin

Last edited:
GRRRR... tried to edit and lost half my post, now it says it's been too long and I can't edit... so here's the second half.

“Uh, yeah that’s safe to say. I’ll stick to tea tonight, thank you very much.” She agreed with a smile. The weight of her embarrassment was lifting, and the relief was significant.

“So you’ve never traveled outside of the area?” Adam asked, setting his menu aside and reaching across her to grab the small glass ashtray and matchbook.

“Nope. I’d like to, I mean it’s a dream of mine. I spend a lot of time learning about all these places I want to go. Life just gets in the way. Things I have to do here, lack of money… whatever.”

“I can’t even imagine not travelling, to tell you the truth. It’s one of the best things about being a part of our band. Living the life.” Adam told her as he lit a cigarette, his eyes narrowing as he drew deep, making the end glow red and taking in a lungful of the soothing poison. He exhaled a long stream of second-hand smoke, turning away from her so as not to hit her in the face with it.

Cat was not a smoker. Had never particularly appreciated the habit in her friends, either. She thought how odd it was that this man could make even such a nasty habit seem downright elegant. She listened intently as he regaled her with stories of some of the places he’d seen, Bono interrupting frequently with his own opinions and thoughts, even when Adam was telling her about some place Bono had not been. The man seemed to have a million things going on in his mind at once, and a theory on every question a person could ever ponder.

Adam was so used to this by now that he simply waited patiently for Bono to pause for breath or take a bite, and then he would continue to tell his story. Cat was so entertained by the duo that by the time they finished their meal her cheeks actually hurt from smiling so much. She could hardly believe more than an hour had passed as she watched Bono flirting with the waitress when she brought the check. It had gone so quickly, it seemed like just a few minutes.

“So are you in a hurry, then? Or do you have time to walk with me a bit.” Adam asked Cat as they stepped out of the club onto the brightly lit Beale street night. She blinked up at him in disbelief, her heart turning somersaults.

“I can go for a walk.” She told him, trying hard not to sound too eager. He smiled that incredible smile at her and turned back to tell the others they could go on without him. Bono handed Cat a business card with his private mobile number on it and asked for a number where he could get a hold of her. He promised she’d be hearing from him again, once he’d played the Tequila Monster CD for a couple of people in the business. He embraced her and kissed her on the temple before leaving, and she felt a bit like she was floating, she was so happy. She barely caught the suspicious glance he cast Adam’s way when he bid him good night, and did not bother to wonder what it might mean.

Adam had told the bodyguards to go as well, but as they walked the street, which was crowded with people eager for a night of fun, she swore she felt eyes watching them. For a moment she thought maybe he should have kept the bodyguard around, but then told herself if anyone was watching them it was most likely Jimmy or Doug themselves. They were just giving them some room, but watching out for them all the same.

They strolled down the block, loud music of countless varieties spilling out from doorways along with the sounds of laughter and the smells of food. They walked past Tater Red’s and could smell the incense, see that someone had lit one of the Voodoo candles in an attempt to lure in more tourists. She jumped visibly when she felt his callused hand slide into hers, every nerve ending in her body standing at full alert. She looked up at him in surprise, and those unique blue eyes met hers with a gentle affection in them she had not expected.

She wanted to say something, anything, but there were no words left in her mind. Even if she’d found them, her mouth would not have been able to speak them, because there would not be enough breath in her lungs. She savored the feeling of his fingers sliding in between her own, their hands intertwining. He smiled softly at her and they continued to walk in silence. It was a good thing she knew her way around the neighborhood because she paid no attention to where they were as they walked. The world around her was an absolute blur. All she was aware of was the warmth from his body radiating into hers, the gentle but firm way he held her hand, and the soft, masculine scent of his cologne surrounding her.

When they reached the end of the final block, she turned to cross the street, planning to turn back and walk the opposite sidewalk. Adam stopped but held tight to her hand, and as she started to step away, she was drawn back to him, spinning on her heel to keep her balance. This put them face to face. Well, face to chest, really. He was a head and shoulders taller than her, after all. She blinked up at him in surprise, but any question she had about what he was doing vanished when he brought his free hand up to stroke her cheek.

She licked her lips nervously, feeling like she had at age twelve when Kevin Ripley had kissed her for the very first time. Awkward, unsure of herself, but anxious and eager at the same time. Somewhere in the back of her mind it registered to her that she was shaking. Her entire body was trembling ever so lightly. She tried to stop, hoped Adam didn’t notice, but the more aware of it she was the worse it became. He smiled at her, that smirk she had seen on stage last night, and she knew he could feel her shaking. Her pride managed to take over then and she regained her composure, more or less. She felt like they had been staring into each others eyes for hours now, and she hadn’t drawn one breath.

Suddenly, there was a series of bright flashes, breaking the enchantment. She frowned and turned to see a pair of men with large, professional cameras pointed at them. They weren’t the slightest bit apologetic or embarrassed either. In fact, they snapped a couple more pictures, and Cat’s blood pressure boiled over.

“What the hell! Fucking vultures! What’s the matter with you people…” she started, but Adam wrapped an arm around her waist and drew her back.

“Shhh. Hey, don’t. Don’t.” He was telling her as he nodded at the men, so politely it baffled them. Then he shot them a pointed look that warned them not to follow. He led Cat into Silky O’Sullivan’s pub, knowing the management would be happy to remove the photographers if they should dare to follow them inside.

“Better get used to that.” He warned her, obviously more amused by the intrusion on their privacy than irritated about it. “Bono’s got big plans for you, you might want to back out now if you don’t like the press.” Cat pursed her lips together in a frown and stewed silently in her irritation. She wasn’t sure she could get used to that sort of thing, especially at a moment like that. She was mostly irritated that they had prevented her from getting the chance to kiss Adam again. Just the thought of the kiss they’d shared on stage the night before made her heart race.

“How old are you?” He asked suddenly, catching her off guard.

“What?” she asked in disbelief. As she realized what he’d asked, she replied with “Don’t you know you never ask a woman her age or her weight?” She smiled at him playfully. He smiled back, but it didn’t quite reach his eyes. “Why does it matter?” She asked when she realized he was still waiting for a response.

“Ok, let’s put it this way.” He said, setting down on a stool at the bar. “We released our first full length LP in October 1980. How old were you?” Cat’s cheeks flushed red. Her gut knotted.

“Why does it matter?” She asked again, irritation creeping into her voice.

“Were you even born?” he asked, and she snapped back at him

“Yes! Yes, I was alive in October of 1980. I don’t see why…” She started to argue, but he interrupted her but gently resting his hand over hers on the bar.

“How old were you?” He asked again, and she could tell he wouldn’t let it go. She stared at him in silence for a moment. She even considered lying, but she was no good at it, everyone could always tell when she was being untruthful.

“Four.” She muttered, and he leaned in closer to hear her over the din of the noisy pub. “I was four.” She told him, and immediately she knew she had lost him. “I don’t see why that matters.” She told him defiantly.

“I’m old enough to be your father.” He told her gently, amused slightly by the rebelliousness of her spirit. He also knew that very trait could prove to be the source of a lot of grief for her in the near future. He wasn’t sure he was prepared to be a part of that future, for a myriad of different reasons, not the least of which was their age difference. He knew when he looked in her eyes, though, that there would be no testing the waters. No casual dating. With Cat it would be all or nothing, sink or swim.

“My father is a lot older than you.” She grumbled, and when she saw him start to laugh at that comment, she scowled deeply. “You know when I was a kid I heard all the women complaining that men in their forties all wished they were with women in their twenties. They’d leave their wives and families behind in trade for a woman fifteen or twenty years younger than they were.”

“Well, those men are still out there Cat. Only now they’re in their sixties, but I’m sure they’re still looking for twenty-somethings.” He teased her and she ground her teeth together in anger, the urge to slap him silly creeping through her. Only she didn’t really want to slap him. She wanted to kiss him, she wanted to make him feel the same desires he stirred up in her. She wanted to mold her mouth against his and kiss him until he could not deny the spark she’d felt between them.

“So this is what this was all about? You were letting me down easy?” She asked, her green eyes flashing in the dim light. Before Adam could answer, a young man stepped up beside him. “Adam, I’m a grown woman! I’m almost thirty years old!” she was still saying when the man interupted.

“You’re Adam Clayton, aren’t you? Damn, man it’s good to meet you!” Cat bit her tounge and waited with as much patience as she could muster while Adam signed a napkin for the man. Although Adam tried to dismiss the man politely, he kept talking, asking questions and generally annoying Cat.

“Look, dumbass, now is not the time.” She finally spoke up, and every set of eyes that was within ear shot turned to look at her in wonder.

“Uh, Cat…” Adam started, but she was not in the mood to be scolded. She held one hand up to stop him, shaking her head.

“You know what? Nevermind. You can have him.” She announced before turning quickly, her hair flying around behind her and hitting the astonished Adam in the face. She stormed out the door and down the block, cutting through the courtyard in case he had tried to catch up. She really did not want to deal with him right then. She felt like such a fool. How had she so completely convinced herself that he was interested in her?

“Idiot!” she muttered, opting to walk to the hospital because it was in the opposite direction from the pub as her bike was. If Adam had tried to catch her, he would most likely go there looking for her. Besides, she was too upset to be in control of such a powerful motor, she would end up killing herself. The ten block walk to the hospital would give her time to cool off.

sorry about the broken story... what a pain. I really must get my husband to call about DSL dial up is going to kill me. I mean, I just want to write a little story and see what people think of it, it shouldn't be so difficult! (Not so subtle request for a little feedback) :wink:

Chapter 7 is on it's way, and the drama is about to ELEVATE seriously

Back
Top Bottom