sooooooooo....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
A few friends (read: my sister) have suggested online dating as a good way to meet someone. I'm kinda feeling strange to ask, but what do you all think? I've heard some horror stories (my friend got actually engaged over the Net and, well, it didn't work out). Any experiences? Thoughts? :)

:wink: :eek: :flirt:

sd

I have never personally tried it (I've been married since before I ever heard of it, not that my match is the best :reject: ) My brother tried it, and paid matchmaker services, and he didn't have good experiences. He, like you, is a young, good looking, smart, fun person with a good job, he just couldn't meet the right person. He finally gave up on that stuff and did end up finding a wife (he was 30 by the time lightning struck) who was an old college friend of one of his friend's wives. Though some people have found love through such methods, overall I wonder, if most of those people were good catches they wouldn't be on there- of course you and my brother are, but you will find most of those people are losers, weirdos, and other people's rejects. I haven't heard good things from those I know who tried it, my brother and one of his friend. They had some bad stories, and I can only imagine it must be worse for girls than it was for them :yikes: There is always that golden gem among them, of course, and good luck if you give it a try. I'm just an old romantic and I believe, when love comes, it will be meant to be and you'll know it. I really don't like services that offer human beings as products on the market for sale. Looking through those people's profiles is like shopping, and that bothers me. You're a great person and I know you'll find somebody else great soon in whatever way he comes to you :hug: Maybe through Jubilee or a U2 connection? :sexywink:

On the other hand, the internet opens up a whole new world of choices from everywhere that you wouldn't ordinarily meet in your own life. I have heard of several people meeting wonderful soulmates online, but not the dating services themselves. They went looking for people with similar interests, talked awhile, and the sparks flew. (of course there are weirdos out there too so be careful!) Again, good luck Sherry, and Happy New Year!

Last edited:
Well, my story isn't exactly online dating, but I suppose it's related.

I met my boyfriend Brian online about 5 years ago. One night I was completely bored so I decided to look for someone to chat on ICQ. So I looked up for someone from Ireland ( surprise, surprise!) and his profile got my attention.

We started talking and we had a lovely chat. He was very funny and entertaining. And that's how I got hooked up on him. We started chatting every night: first one hour, then 2, 3...even 7 hours! ( stopping for a few minutes to get dinner and go to the toilet...lol)

At that time he was going out with somebody else, but after 3 and a half years of chat, we realised that our friendship had grown to be something else.

He broke up with her and came to Argentina to see me. And bang! The rest is history. We have been going out for almost 2 years and we haven't killed each other ...yet! ;) :D

I have to admit that I was very very very lucky to find someone like Brian online. we are constantly hearing stories about weirdos online and how some encounters end. But sometimes the stories are great!

All I can say is give it a go if you feel like it. But just be very careful and go with your gut instinct! :)

U2Kitten said:
I have never personally tried it (I've been married since before I ever heard of it, not that my match is the best :reject: ) My brother tried it, and paid matchmaker services, and he didn't have good experiences. He, like you, is a young, good looking, smart, fun person with a good job, he just couldn't meet the right person. He finally gave up on that stuff and did end up finding a wife (he was 30 by the time lightning struck) who was an old college friend of one of his friend's wives. Though some people have found love through such methods, overall I wonder, if most of those people were good catches they wouldn't be on there- of course you and my brother are, but you will find most of those people are losers, weirdos, and other people's rejects. I haven't heard good things from those I know who tried it, my brother and one of his friend. They had some bad stories, and I can only imagine it must be worse for girls than it was for them :yikes: There is always that golden gem among them, of course, and good luck if you give it a try. I'm just an old romantic and I believe, when love comes, it will be meant to be and you'll know it. I really don't like services that offer human beings as products on the market for sale. Looking through those people's profiles is like shopping, and that bothers me. You're a great person and I know you'll find somebody else great soon in whatever way he comes to you :hug: Maybe through Jubilee or a U2 connection? :sexywink:

Agree with all of this. I don't know if I'd ever enter an online relationship-I'm not totally ruling it out, 'cause there's a few guys I've met on some boards that I'd like to get to know better and if that happens, well, great. But I'm most likely going to just continue to look for cool people to meet wherever I'm living.

Originally posted by U2Kitten
On the other hand, the internet opens up a whole new world of choices from everywhere that you wouldn't ordinarily meet in your own life. I have heard of several people meeting wonderful soulmates online, but not the dating services themselves. They went looking for people with similar interests, talked awhile, and the sparks flew. (of course there are weirdos out there too so be careful!) Again, good luck Sherry, and Happy New Year!

:yes:.

My sister met her boyfriend on a message board for their favorite band-they've been together...10 months now, I think it is, and his family's met our family, and his whole family is really nice and cool (they all love U2! I have found more kindred spirits :D). It can definitely work, but it all depends on what you feel most comfortable with.

But yeah, definitely wish you luck if you do pursue this. Like U2Kitten said, you're a very cool person, so any guy, online or off, would be crazy to not want to get to know you. :).

May everyone here who hasn't found their soulmate yet find them in some way, shape, or form! :D.

Angela

Niamh_Saoirse said:
Well, my story isn't exactly online dating, but I suppose it's related.

I met my boyfriend Brian online about 5 years ago. One night I was completely bored so I decided to look for someone to chat on ICQ. So I looked up for someone from Ireland ( surprise, surprise!) and his profile got my attention.

We started talking and we had a lovely chat. He was very funny and entertaining. And that's how I got hooked up on him. We started chatting every night: first one hour, then 2, 3...even 7 hours! ( stopping for a few minutes to get dinner and go to the toilet...lol)

At that time he was going out with somebody else, but after 3 and a half years of chat, we realised that our friendship had grown to be something else.

He broke up with her and came to Argentina to see me. And bang! The rest is history. We have been going out for almost 2 years and we haven't killed each other ...yet! ;) :D

I have to admit that I was very very very lucky to find someone like Brian online. we are constantly hearing stories about weirdos online and how some encounters end. But sometimes the stories are great!

All I can say is give it a go if you feel like it. But just be very careful and go with your gut instinct! :)
:hug: And I always love to hear that story. :yes:

Thanks ladies! :) I know it's worked for some, but I just don't know it it is something I am comfortable with. It does feel like a bit of a meat market. :D Anyway, thanks again!

SD

My friend just got engaged to a girl he met through an online match-up service (www.eharmony.com). I've recommended it to people here in Interland, but at least one person didn't get put into the system because of her answers to the (lengthy) questionaire/personality profile. It may be because this site is more geared to people who are ready to settle down and are looking for potential marriage material, not just dating around. So I don't know what you're looking for, but it may be worth just checking it out....

:wave:

Last edited:
See!? This thread proves we need an Interference Singles Bar :)

SD- I have been wondering about these dating sites too. I am scared to actually go for it, but I think I might try Eharmony like BLS suggested, I have also heard that is the best one!
And Niamh your story is so romantic!:cute:
And finally for all us single PLEBA gals, good luck and I hope we all find true love in 2004! Remember we have all those U2 concerts coming up.... I think that could be a fine place to meet some cool people!:dance:

;) Well, with my story, i'm going thru a divorce and when my friend went thru hers, she went with a dating/friendship type of service because all her friends before were Their friends. i admire her guts to 'put herself out there' and make it a try at making new friends. but since you seem to be such a big U2 fan, try to find someone with similar interests, but not Just the band. And, good luck-you inspire me to try myself!:wink:

forbonou2 I too just went through a nasty divorce this year, it will be final this month.... after 10 years with him. If you ever need to talk feel free to pm me... Its a hard process but I think it was the best decision of my life!

Back
Top Bottom