songs associations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharry_lt

Acrobat
i'm listenig to a song "wild irish rose"...aww...makes me feel like i'm standing on a scotland mountain and looking in front of me, my hair blown by the wind...
how about u?
What do u see listening to u2?;)

Last edited:
Until the end of the world makes me feel like I'm floating in the air while I turn and spin all the time. LOL. It's a weird description. I just can't put into words what that song makes me feel. I know I always give this definition but It's the only one I can think of: MENTAL ORGASM! :drool:

I can't think of any concrete images or situations, but I get lots of color associations with songs. some are obvious, like desire = red. some are influenced by certain things, like new york = gray b/c it's black and white on the DVD. some other examples:

kite = red
one = orange
grace = light pink
streets = yellow
mysterious ways = orange
elevation = light blue
discotheque = purple
sunday bloody sunday = brown
all i want is you = dark blue
WOWY = dark blue
in a little while = yellow
gone = blue/purple

:shrug: each song has a color.

Unforgettable Fire makes me think about medieval times, princesses and knights for some reason. :shrug:

Velvet Dress - slow dancing with a gorgeous guy (usually he looks like :larry: ), I'm smelling his neck and we're doing all sorts of things to each other. :silent: There's an instrumental bridge during this song that always makes me feel like I'm underwater. :huh:

:hmm: Those are the only ones I can think of right now...

Lies, that thing you mention about the colors is very interesting. I always think of red when I listen to WOWY...

flaming june said:

Lies, that thing you mention about the colors is very interesting. I always think of red when I listen to WOWY...

hm....to me it's always been dark dark blue and even black. Maybe b/c of words like "storm" or "bruised". When I hear this song, I see everything on the sides and the background is black, and in front I see sort of what the words say, like "on a bed of nails she makes me wait" I see someone lying on nails. In my mind, the song is very sad and dark.

Remember the original Fantasia movie? and there's this line, don't remember what the conductor calls it, but it changes colors and sizes with sounds? Sometimes I get those kinda vibes for certain songs, like that squiggly line or bubbles or random shapes.

the only one that comes to mind is Passengers...
it makes me think of being in dark, warm, unfamiliar places
aaand there's a reason for that...
Reason 1:
I got Passengers when I went to Florida to visit Hippy... after she burned it for me I busted out my headphones and listened to it while going to sleep, in an unfamiliar room, in the dark, and her house is one of the few houses in the world where I'm not freezing to death. It was nice not freezing to death. Mmm, Florida...
Reason 2:
Once while house/dogsitting for my uncle I put it on really loud (their stereo is on the complete other side of the house) and took a bath with all the smelly stuff whilst reading TGBHF, and that was nice. Except the dog knocked my book in the bathtub, and while trying to save it Pocket Adam fell out and into the bathtub as well. He's okay though.

anyway, I associate Passengers (especially One Minute Warning, Slug, and Beach Sequence with those, which is one of the reasons I love that album so much.

[/novel]

as for colors, I usually don't associate songs with colors... New York = grey, yeah cos of Boston, and Streets = red cos of the ever-present red screen, but past that not really. If I do it's a shade of grey or blue.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
kite = red

why would that be, lies? :angel:

ahh...good times good times...

anyway, when listening to u2 i do get a lot of feelings...stuck reminds me of 2 things...1.) it was the first u2 song i loved...it reminds me of being in costa rica and listening to it on repeat while in the car 2.) it reminds me of when i was on the plane back from germany a year and a half ago...i listened to it and started sobbing...

other than that...love is blindness stirs the most emotion for me...maybe cause it's my fav :shrug:...anyway, it just makes me feel really uncontrollably sad...but i always want to listen to it over and over and over...it's a weird thing.

actually, walk on always makes me sad cause i know IT'S OVER! i mean, they ended concerts...so even if i'm listening to atyclb, i still feel sad during walk on...

[/rant]

flaming june said:
Unforgettable Fire makes me think about medieval times, princesses and knights for some reason. :shrug:

Hmmm...*is imagining that*

Yeah, I see where you're going with that...

Let's see...I don't associate colors with songs, I always kinda get images and then make up my own little music videos in my mind from then on out...some of those images would be:

"Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?"-I always picture someone on a beach somewhere with these beautiful white, almost fairylike horses running in slow motion behind them.

"Angel Of Harlem" makes me think of someone dancing down a sidewalk in New York City at Christmastime while singing the song.

"Love Is Blindness" makes me think of a funeral procession going up a hill to where the casket will be put in the ground...only it's a sunny day with white puffy clouds and the greenest grass around (kinda like the nice weather betrays the sadness of the people, I guess). Not very uplifting, but...

"Tomorrow" makes me think of a person standing in a hilly area in Ireland on a day when the clouds are greyish.

"October" makes me think of another hilly area on a cloudy fall day.

The new version of "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" makes me think of a smokey bar in one of those old, black and white private eye movies.

And "The Hands That Built America" make me think of New York City in the fall, like, right after 9/11...kinda eerie.

Yeah, uh, my images get kinda descriptive...:D.

Angela

I close my eyes during Discotheque and pretend that i'm in a club having fun dancing with my buddies, and then Edge comes in and we do the BOOM CHA! dance. Its fun. :D :dance::edge::dance:

Staring at the sun reminds me of my vacation in florida....just sitting out..doing nothing at the pool and watching the sun come from behind the clouds right before the chorus....

And "The Hands That Built America" make me think of New York City in the fall, like, right after 9/11...kinda eerie.

The same thing happens to me...i listened to it the first time and i got this amazing mental picture, especially with that line "its early fall....." and it just blows me away.

I'll prolly think of more later.....

Back
Top Bottom