Someone Else's Dream - Chapter 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > PLEBA > PLEBA Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2006, 11:41 PM   #1
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:46 AM
Someone Else's Dream - Chapter 3

U2, unfortunately, are not mine. They are real people who I have written about here in a fictional situation that never happened. I don’t have their permission to use their likenesses, but I make no money from the story and it really is just all meant in good fun. Remember, please, that this is just a twisting, turning story out of my imagination which should not reflect upon the band or the individuals within it. It’s only make-believe.

There will be some adult themes within this story, and almost undoubtedly a lot of offensive language. Read at your own discretion.

Catalina Chronicles Book 4:

Someone else’s dream

Chapter Three

I can't help myself
I've got to see you again
Late in the night when I'm all alone
And I look at the clock and I know you're not home
I can't help myself
I've got to see you again

from 'I've Got To See You Again' by Norah Jones

“Laney!” Bono called out his wife’s name as he stepped into their home, his voice echoing in the silence. “Laney!” He tried again in vain. With a sigh of disappointment, he moved into his office, where the picture window overlooked the sea which was nearly as stormy as Bono’s emotions at the moment. He dropped his carry-on bag onto the leather sofa where he and Laney had first made love and hurried to check his messages on the answering machine.

“Bono, love, it’s Laney,” the first message started, and Bono smiled at the sound of her voice. “Welcome home! I’m so sorry I couldn’t be there to greet you, but there’s been an accident with a bus load of tourists; it’s chaos here at work! I’ll be home just as soon as I can, I promise. I love you!”

Bono frowned at the machine as if his disapproval could make it take back the bad news. He suspected Larry’s scowl might’ve been capable of it. For him, however, all the machine did was continue to spew out other messages from people who knew he’d be in Dublin. Gavin, Guggi, the mayor… no one who couldn’t wait. He pushed the pause button and moved out to the kitchen, hoping to appease his growling stomach at least.

He was pleased to find a tempting chocolate cake waiting there, immediately sticking a finger in the frosting and then sucking the sweet chocolate off of it. He glimpsed a slip of paper beside it.

-Bono – this is Lorna’s birthday cake for the party tomorrow. Simone wanted to store it somewhere so Pauley would not be tempted to get into it early. She had her reservations about leaving it here once she remembered that you would be home, but I assured her it would be brought to the party unmolested. Please don’t prove me wrong! – Love, Laney

Bono scowled at the paper, but it refused to take back its message as well. He looked at the cake longingly, but decided he’d be better off finding something else to satisfy his sweet tooth. He used a butter knife to smooth the fingerprint out of the frosting, then licked the knife clean before tossing it into the sink.

He dug around in his pockets, searching for the keys to his Maserati. He had only been home for five minutes, but somehow, he’d managed to misplace them already. He backtracked to his office and finally found them in his carry-on bag, listening to Laney’s message once more before leaving home again.

“Dr. Hewson!” Laney paused at the sound of her name being called and closed her eyes, counting to ten before she turned to face the youthful medical student. Her temper was in short supply at the moment. She had hoped to be in Bono’s arms by now, but with every passing moment it seemed that their reunion was further and further away.

She turned to see the fresh-faced young man hurrying toward her, expecting him to have a chart for her to examine or news of some new critical patient. Instead, he was beaming with happiness and excitement. She also couldn’t help but notice that the shoulder of his once pristine white lab coat was now scribbled on with black ink.

As the boy drew closer, the scribble turned into a word. If she didn’t know her husbands handwriting well, she might not have recognized that. There was no doubt, however, that it was Bono’s autograph, complete with sunglasses-sporting smiley face. She rubbed her tired eyes and repressed a chuckle.

“Where is he?” She asked before the mad student could gush about the famous visitor. She doubted he knew about her relationship to Bono, or at least that he had prior to that moment.

“What?” The boy asked, startled and slightly confused by her question. He was still a bit star-struck, after all.

“Bono,” Laney stated plainly. “Where is he?”

“Does he come in here often?” the would-be doctor asked, his blue eyes wide at the thought.

“Only when he’s looking for his wife,” Laney replied dryly.

“He said he was here to see yo…” the boy seemed to swallow his words as his usually sharp mind finally put all the pieces together to realize his instructor and Bono’s wife were the same person.

“Is he waiting in the staff room?” She asked impatiently.

“No, he was at the front desk, signing autographs for several of the American tourists from the bus accident; the one’s who’ve been treated and released, that is.”

“Of course he is,” Laney chuckled to herself as she made a beeline for the front desk. She hoped that she wouldn’t have to call security this time. As she approached, she slowed to watch him charm the fans who flocked to him. Laney’s heart seemed to do somersaults in her chest at the sight of him, and a tingle of electricity swept through her body. She often felt like the awkward teenage girl she had been when she first met him and fell desperately in love.

She had fallen in love back then, at least. It had taken him three decades to realize he loved her. She didn’t mind; she would’ve waited forever for him. Still, it was very nice not having to wait anymore.

At the moment, he wore one of his beloved cowboy hats and his almost ever-present wraparound sunglasses covered his beautiful blue eyes. Diamond earrings sparkled from each earlobe, and she could clearly see his newest addition, the silver chain with the coexist symbol pendant, as it draped around his thick neck and fell casually against his chest among the thick curls of hair. She could see this clearly because the black dress shirt he wore was unbuttoned more than halfway, as well as hanging untucked from his well worn jeans.

She smiled and watched as he wrapped a teenage girl up in an embrace which she knew the girl would probably cherish for the rest of her days. Bono could have made a damn good living just giving out hugs, she thought, because he was so very good at it. He kissed the girl on the cheek and grinned at her, saying something which Laney could not hear over the dull roar of the hospital lobby.

As he turned to sign the next autograph, his eyes swept across the room and saw her watching him. The crooked, boyish grin he flashed her made Laney laugh out loud. He excused himself quickly and politely, pushing his way through the group who’d encircled him and hurrying to sweep her up in his arms.

His scent filled her up, wrapping around her like a comfortable old blanket on a stormy winter night, warming her from the inside out. She wrapped her arms around him and held him close for a long, breathless moment, his face buried in her soft red hair. She shivered at the feeling of his breath on her neck.

“I couldn’t wait any longer,” he told her on a sigh.

“I’m glad,” she told him honestly, shivering as he kissed her softly on the mouth. She doubted she would ever get enough of him. There was something in his kiss which made her pause, unable at first to place the thing which troubled her. Then she frowned at him like a mother would when scolding a child.

“Did you eat some of Lorna’s cake?” She demanded, wanting to be irritated with him. The guilty smile on his face and the way his eyes searched here and there for an answer as he stumbled over his words made it impossible for her to be upset, though.

“No one will ever even notice,” he promised finally, and Laney shook with laughter.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 07:46 AM
Bono the naughty little boy..

seriously, who CAN say no to chocolate cake?

the chapter, part 2 aswell... I so love this story, and I'm happy you're writing again SG!

Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 09-04-2006, 08:33 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Old 09-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:46 PM

I can't say it enough - I love this story! Keep it coming!
Old 09-04-2006, 08:55 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

How very sweet, and how very like both characters.

and how did you know I wanted chocolate cake this evening?
Old 09-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 12:46 AM
Bono's unbutton shirt, yeah, me likes Wondeful chapter SG... looking forward to the next one!
Old 09-07-2006, 03:02 PM   #7
Refugee

Location: Celebrating the end of things with cheap champagne!
chocolate is impossible to resist
great chapter
Old 09-30-2006, 08:03 AM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

Location: A REAL Life PLEBAn and proud of it....YES we are REAL - Wild and Bono at Hanover Quay K.I.S.S.I.N.G :drool:
Local Time: 06:46 AM
SG

Awesome as always