Someone Else's Dream - Chapter 25

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
Sorry it's been taking me so long to update. Things have just been crazy busy. What I wouldn't give for a few more hours in a day to dedicate just to writing fan fic :wink:

U2, unfortunately, are not mine. They are real people who I have written about here in a fictional situation that never happened. I don’t have their permission to use their likenesses, but I make no money from the story and it really is just all meant in good fun. Remember, please, that this is just a twisting, turning story out of my imagination which should not reflect upon the band or the individuals within it. It’s only make-believe. There will be some adult themes within this story, and almost undoubtedly a lot of offensive language. Read at your own discretion.

Catalina Chronicles Book 4:

Someone else’s dream

Chapter Twenty- Five

You can't always get what you want
But if you try sometimes well you might find
You get what you need
And I went down to the demonstration
To get my fair share of abuse
Singing, "We're gonna vent our frustration
If we don't we're gonna blow a 50-amp fuse"
But if you try sometimes well you just might find
You get what you need

from ‘You Can't Always Get What You Want' by The Rolling Stones

“This sucks!” Trine grumbled, falling back onto the couch in a huff. Cat and Adam looked at her with enough pity in her eyes to make her sick. She was so tired of being pregnant! “I’ve still got ten or eleven weeks of being pregnant, but I can’t fly because they’re afraid I’ll go into labor on the fucking plane?” She demanded, sounding much more like a child than a mother-to-be.

“I didn’t realize you’d be in your third trimester for this, honey. I’m sorry,” Cat apologized for having to take back her invitation to the premiere of ‘…Nor Innocent’, the film which Gavin Friday and Cat had produced the soundtrack. They had realized two weeks back that she would not be able to go when they were double checking on their travel arrangements and the subject of her pregnancy was raised. She had remained relatively calm about it, but now, as Adam and Cat prepared to leave, she had finally broken down and let out all of her frustration in one burst.

“Whatever,” she pouted.

“Just a couple more months and you’ll be free to do whatever you want again,” Cat said in what was meant to be a soothing voice. She sat down beside Trine and smoothed the hair out of her face in a tender gesture which came so naturally that it surprised them both.

“I know,” Trine sighed. “I guess I don’t want to be this fat when I meet Orlando Bloom anyway.” Adam choked on a laugh as he lifted Cat’s discarded carry-on bag and draped the strap over his shoulder. They were running late. He felt better about leaving now that he knew that Trine’s biggest complaint revolved around her chance to meet some guy she had a crush on.

“If you need anything, you call Larry or Edge, all right?” Cat reminded Trine as she stood to follow as Adam opened the door. “And if you could call Simone and check on how Lawry is tonight, I’d appreciate it.”

“I will! Now get out of here already!” Trine replied with a playful roll of her eyes. Adam told her goodbye and Cat followed him out of the house, waving as she closed the door. They had barely climbed into the car before Cat took out her cell phone and began to dial. Adam feigned disinterest as he listened to her side of the conversation, but smiled inwardly as he realized what she was up to. He only hoped Trine wouldn’t realize it, because if she thought she was being set up she would fight it with every ounce of her stubborn will.

Laney had played it down, but the truth was she was worried. Having a working knowledge of the human body meant worrying about all the potential complications and problems which could be associated with her symptoms. She had never been the sort of person to worry needlessly; in fact she had a tendency to work through illness and injury rather than taking time to rest.

This was different.

The nausea, the tenderness in her breasts and abdomen, and now this unsettling feeling she could not even describe. It was a ‘solid’ feeling in her belly, and she had not had a menstrual period in nearly five months. She was convinced now that the endoscopic surgery she had undergone to treat her endometriosis had either been unsuccessful or had even done her more harm than good.

The fatigue was the most bothersome symptom; she had always been very energetic, and lately when she got home from work, she would sit down with the intention of resting for just a moment and end up sleeping for three or four hours.

So when her Gynecologist, who was also a good friend of hers, came into the office smiling almost playfully she was baffled. Dr. Sarah Ferris sat on the corner of her desk and looked at Laney and then at Bono, silently considering her words.

“Well, for God’s sake, Sarah, what’s the verdict?” Laney finally demanded, half laughing nervously, half seriously upset with her colleague’s behavior.

“Well, I know you were concerned that you would need a hysterectomy, and I can tell you right off that won’t be necessary. I have to say, though, that I find the situation rather amusing. You are the first to tell the medical students and new residents the old adage ‘when you hear hoof beats, look for horses, not zebra’s’, yet when it came to your own condition you came up with all of the most exotic worst-case scenarios. I don’t think you even considered the simplest possibility, which as it usually does, turns out to be the case,” Sarah told her with a smug grin.

Laney stared at her friend blankly, her lips parting as her jaw dropped in surprise at the insinuation. She glanced at Bono and from the frown on his face; she could tell he had not yet puzzled out what the doctor was telling them.

“Sarah, are you sure? Don’t tell me this unless you are dead certain it’s true. Not this,” Laney said, reaching out and slipping her fingers in between the thick fingers of Bono’s hand and giving him a squeeze.

“Oh, I’m quite sure, Laney. You’re pregnant.”

Adam smiled politely and posed for the photographers as he and Cat walked the length of the red carpet, keeping Cat’s hand in his own possessively. He was as natural in this environment as he was in his garden alone, and Cat couldn’t help but admire the grace and sophistication it took to be so composed. She leaned in close, angling her body toward his and smiled for the screaming photographers and felt a familiar flush of warmth as his wonderfully large hand settled against the curve of her hip. His thumb grazed the bare skin on her side, unprotected by her little black backless dress.

He peered at her sideways, his beautiful blue eyes shining happily when she looked at him with half lowered eyelids, pursing her lips slightly as she suppressed a shudder of desire. He knew the subtle touches that would drive her crazy and was not above utilizing them in public to turn her mind to considerably more private pursuits.

He smirked deviously, pleased with himself and she could not help but smile at him. Her heart swelled with love and she thanked God once again for the forgiveness he had blessed Adam with. She couldn’t imagine having lost him.

They were ushered into the building and immediately greeted by countless people wanting to chat about this or that, keeping them from having a moment together again until they were seated in the theater and the lights had begun to dim.

The single she and Gavin had recorded for the film had been released two weeks prior to the premiere of the movie, but in an unusual move they had not released the video, which was premiering before the film. Catalina had not even seen the finished product, although she had seen different stages of its production; Adam had not been privy to even that much.

The song itself was a traditional Irish song which had been adapted and made famous by Johnny Cash years ago. Other groups had done their own covers of it, from Bob Dylan to the Chieftains and Mick Jagger, to the Dave Matthews Band, but Cat and Gavin had truly made it their own.

Now, as the lights faded around them and the screen brightened, Cat felt a rush of anxiety. What if she had been wrong about using a song that was familiar? People who liked other versions of it might like it that much less by comparison. She felt Adam’s hand settle over hers supportively and let out the breath she had been holding.

The music started as the scene unfolded before them, a nighttime scene set in a remote cemetery, a bolt of lightning revealing the figure of a woman in black approaching slowly. Cat’s voice sounded otherworldly as the music changed key and faded into the background for her words.

‘Ten years ago, on a cold dark night
someone was killed beneath the town hall light.
There were few at the scene, but they all agreed
that the slayer who ran looked a lot like me.

She walks these hills in a long black veil
She visits my grave when the night winds wail
Nobody know, nobody sees
Nobody knows but me

The judge said ‘Son, what is your alibi?
If you were somewhere else, then you won’t have to die.’
I spoke not a word, though it meant my life
I had been in the arms of my best friend’s wife’

The power of Cat’s voice was almost mystical as the song unfolded; as if she herself had lived through the events of the song. Hopefully, most people would never realize how close that was to the truth. Scenes from the movie played across the screen as the music which Gavin had arranged rose once more to envelop the listener like a wave swallowing a would-be surfer. Intermingled with the scenes from the movie were images of Cat singing and Gavin as well, where he had provided a contrasting harmony to her melody.

Now the scaffold is high and eternity’s near
she stood in the crowd and shed not a tear
but sometimes at night, when the cold wind moans
in a long black veil she cries o’er my bones

She walks these hills in a long black veil
She visits my grave when the night winds wail
Nobody know, nobody sees
Nobody knows but me

Nobody knows but me…’

Adam clasped her hand encouragingly as the video faded to black on a close up of her own face behind that long black veil. The applause from the others in the audience took her by surprise, and with each moment longer it lasted, the higher Cat’s spirits rose. She beamed at Adam as he released her hand to join in the applause. She turned and grinned at Gavin, who grinned right back at her, the sight of which made her laugh out loud.

As the studio logo appeared on the screen and everyone settled down to watch the show, she turned back to Adam who wrapped an arm around her, lifting her chin gently with the fingertips of his other hand and placing a gentle kiss on her lips. He was proud of her. It was intoxicating.

She rested her head on Adam’s shoulder briefly in an intimate gesture, and then settled comfortably into her seat to watch the show. Adam ran his hand up and down along the bare skin of her side, his fingertips whispering over the sensitive skin on the way up, the nail and knuckle of his thumb on the way down providing more pressure, a deeper sense of contact. It made it terribly hard to concentrate on what Clive Owen and Scarlet Johansen’s characters were talking about on the screen, and he knew it.

She shivered when he opened his hand, his palm hot against her skin, his fingers penetrating the hem of black silk under her arm teasingly. She stole a glance at him and could tell he was having fun teasing her. She rested a hand on his leg and stroked the top of his thigh, sliding it just a bit higher and closer to the inside with every other stroke until he was squirming and his reaction was becoming obvious.

She smirked up at him and he surprised her with a hot, hungry kiss that swept her away – until the sound of someone behind them clearing their throat rather loudly reminded them they were not alone. Cat glanced back over Adam’s shoulder shyly and saw several sets of eyes on them. Hugh Grant winked at her and she felt her face flush bright red. She hid her face against Adam’s shoulder and could feel him shaking slightly with laughter. She couldn’t help but giggle a little herself. She felt like a teenager, being caught making out with her boyfriend at the movies.

“I’m coming!” Trine called as she made her way to unlock the door. “I’m moving as fast as I can,” she grumbled, one hand resting on the small of her back and her shoulders pulled back to counterbalance the extra weight up front.

She opened the door to find Alex standing there with a bouquet of yellow roses and a chocolate silk pie. Cat’s favorites.

“Hey, I didn’t miss her, did I?” He asked as Trine stepped aside and gestured for him to come in.

“Yeah by like an hour,” she replied, eyeing the pie hungrily.

“Damn! I wanted to wish her good luck. She was pretty nervous,” he replied, setting the gifts on the island cupboard. He sighed and looked up at Trine thoughtfully. “I guess the flowers will still be all right when she gets back. I’ll put them in water, if you tell me where I can find a vase.”

“Umm – floor cabinet left of the sink,” Trine directed.

“Want to put the pie in the fridge for me?” Alex asked over the sound of running water as he filled the vase. He glanced back at her and smiled deviously. “Or should we just eat it now and forget to tell her about it?”

“I vote for that one,” Trine agreed with a laugh. Alex opened the cupboard in search of plates, but Trine told him not to bother, grabbing two forks out of the cutlery drawer and carrying the whole pie into the lounge so they could share it in front of the television. Alex hurried after her, promising himself that he would buy Cat all the chocolate pies she wanted, especially if this turned out the way he hoped.

She knew he had fallen in love with Trine despite her fickle heart, and when she had called him to suggest she might appreciate the company while they were away, he knew also that she was giving him the opportunity to try and win the girls heart again.

Back
Top Bottom