Someone Else's Dream - Chapter 17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sad_Girl

Blue Crack Supplier
It’s not much, but things have been hectic around here, and I haven’t had much time to devote to this. I hope to have another chapter or two done over this coming holiday weekend.

U2, unfortunately, are not mine. They are real people who I have written about here in a fictional situation that never happened. I don’t have their permission to use their likenesses, but I make no money from the story and it really is just all meant in good fun. Remember, please, that this is just a twisting, turning story out of my imagination which should not reflect upon the band or the individuals within it. It’s only make-believe. There will be some adult themes within this story, and almost undoubtedly a lot of offensive language. Read at your own discretion.

Catalina Chronicles Book 4:

Someone else’s dream

Chapter Seventeen

I don't know where I’m going
But, I sure know where I’ve been
Hanging on the promises
In songs of yesterday
An' I’ve made up my mind,
I ain't wasting no more time
But, here I go again
Here I go again
here I go again on my own

from ‘Here I go again’ by Whitesnake

Trine stood outside the hotel for nearly an hour, trying to get up the courage to go in and face him with the news. He didn’t exactly have a good history as far as these things were concerned, although … it was different, this time, wasn’t it? She had certainly thought she was special to him. He was here, after all, when he didn’t have to be. They’d just finished shooting an episode of his show in Scotland and were heading over to the States next. He could’ve just flown straight to L.A. but he’d decided to make a special stop in Dublin.

Of course, she wasn’t the only person he would see while he was here. He would want to see his son. Didn’t that say something, in and of itself, about him? He’d changed a lot in the years since he’d walked away from a pregnant girlfriend without a word of goodbye.

She wanted a cigarette so bad she thought she might come out of her skin with need, but she had tossed her last pack into the trash as soon as she’d suspected she was pregnant. If she was, she needed to clean up her act. She wouldn’t be like her own mother, dependant on drugs and men to make her happy.

When she finally could take her own indecision no longer, she moved quickly through the hotel lobby and took the lift up to the second floor from the top. He was in the same room he’d stayed in when he had been in Ireland a couple of months earlier; the room in which they’d passed many hours. The room in which she’d gotten pregnant.

She had been so nervous earlier, when she’d seen Larry at the house, that she had crazily suspected he knew. As if he had a right to judge her, considering what he’d done! Still, he would be involved in some way. He was Pauley’s step-dad, after all, and Pauley would be a half brother to the child she was carrying.

What a mess.

She hadn’t exactly had anyone to talk to about this, either. Considering what Adam and Cat were going through, and Tessa was battling cancer, she hadn’t wanted to tell any of them about her situation. She certainly could not go to Simone, she would freak. Alex was not an option, because she suspected he still harbored feelings for her even though they hadn’t been together for a year now. Shane had gotten so used to running away when a woman got pregnant she’d probably scare him right back to Texas if she tried to confide in him.

So she had been alone, just like she had always been. She could handle it, she told herself. She could do this alone, if she had to. She just needed to tell him. It was only fair that he know she was carrying his child, after all. He could do whatever he felt right, and she’d be all right.

All of this was rolling around in her head in the time between rapping the door with her knuckles and when that door swung open and she found herself face to face with him again.

“Hi, Toby,” she greeted him with a gentle smile. “We need to talk.”

*********************************************************************************

Trying to get anywhere with two small children was a challenge worthy of an Olympic athlete or a marine drill sergeant. Simone was neither of these things. By the time they reached the lift in the hotel lobby she was exhausted.

“Hold on a minute,” she told Pauley, catching her son by the shoulder and bringing him to a halt before he could knock on the door of Toby’s hotel room. She needed a moment to compose herself. Even if she didn’t particularly care what Toby thought of her anymore, she didn’t want to greet him with her hair a wild mess and her forehead glistening with sweat. She wiped her face with a tissue and ran her fingers through her hair, glancing at herself in the hallway mirror and deciding she was presentable.

She nodded at Pauley and he knocked on the door, shifting his weight anxiously from one leg to the other. It was a habit he’d picked up from Larry, and it never ceased to amaze Simone just how much her little boy reminded her of her fiancé’. It was an almost daily occurrence that someone who didn’t know better told Pauley how much he looked like Larry.

Lorna kicked her legs impatiently as she sat perched in Simone’s arms, and she sang softly to herself. She was imitating a song Simone had heard Larry singing to their daughter, but with no vocabulary upon which to build she simply did her best to imitate the sounds. Pauley sighed and looked up at his mom, and Simone leaned over him to knock on the door a second time.

Before she had finished, the door swung open and in a disorienting rush of arms and legs, Trine nearly knocked her over as she barreled out. Pauley ducked and covered to protect himself as Trine did her best to keep from tackling Simone, tripping over the boy in the end and winding up on her hands and knees.

“Trine?” Simone asked, moving to help the girl back up onto her feet. She would have been less surprised if Elvis Presley had been the one to open the door. Trine and Toby were two completely separate parts of her life, who, as far as she knew had never met. Then she remembered the first time she had taken Pauley to meet Toby. Trine had come with them, but she couldn’t remember actually introducing them.

“Oh, God!” She heard the girl mumble in between sniffles. She was crying hard, her head bowed forward, her shoulders shaking. It wasn’t just the fall that had made her cry, Simone knew instinctively. It hadn’t been that long ago that she had wept much the same way from her own broken heart.

“Trine, honey, what’s wrong?” Simone asked for lack of anything better to say. She knelt beside the young woman, sitting Lorna on the floor and reaching out to Trine.

“I’m such a fucking idiot!” Trine sobbed, allowing Simone to embrace her and clinging to her as she wept like a child. That’s what she felt like, a child who had fallen and scraped their knee and wanted their mom or dad to kiss the pain away. Only no one was going to make this go away.

“Aw, Jesus!” Toby swore as he came to the door and saw the scene unfolding. “Moni, you’re not even going to listen to my side of it are you? Am I supposed to just believe it’s mine because she says so? I know I wasn’t the only one that could’ve gotten her pregnant. Probably just the one with the most to lose, so she figured she’d get the most money out of me!”

“What?!?!” Simone demanded, her head snapping up as she looked at Toby in horror. Her stomach twisted into a million tiny knots as her brain put all the information together.

“You son of a bitch! Oh, Trine, is… are you…?” She looked back and forth between the two of them in dismay. Trine nodded, her eyes swollen from crying, her nose pink and dripping. “Ok, ok…” she said, smoothing the girl’s hair down before standing and stepping toward Toby. He recognized the look on her face and took a step back.

“How many times has this happened?” She demanded, sticking her foot just inside the room so that he couldn’t slam the door and shut her out. “How many? I think I have a right to know how many brothers and sisters my son might have drifting around out there!” She yelled, her cheeks flushing pink, then red and then nearly purple with rage.

“Now, listen Moni…” Toby tried to explain, stammering and stumbling over his words so much that he couldn’t form a complete sentence. She could hear Trine sobbing in the hall behind her still, and now Lorna was wailing, too because the crying and screaming had frightened her. Pauley stood with his back to the wall; his eyes round with surprise as he witnessed his mother lose her temper as he’d never seen it before.

“You know what? I’m done listening you bastard! Listening to you this summer has wreaked havoc on my life, and now the other people I love are getting hurt by your selfishness, too. Pauley already has a father, a man worth looking up to. You’ve got nothing to offer him. Until you grow up and learn how to take some responsibility, don’t even bother calling,” she told Toby, turning on her heel and storming out. She scooped Lorna up and took Pauley by the hand. Pauley, in turn, held his hand out to Trine, who smiled through her tears at him and accepted.

The only thing they heard from Toby was the door slamming behind them as they left.

oh, and yes, I did mention this once before :wink:
http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?threadid=165837

Last edited:
wow, I really didn't expect this!!! :ohmy:

I can understand that having a thing for older men tho :wink:

Short but sweet chap SG :hug: I've no problem with waiting for the next!

Sorry - change of plans decided to get sick over Thanksgiving. saw the dr again yesterday - I started to feel somewhat human today :crack: I'll get to it when I've caught up with everything else that hasn't gotten done while I've been ill

Back
Top Bottom