Should Bono follow Adams example....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
cinnaminson said:
For me there is nothing sadder than an older man with a mop of jet black hair, sorry gals.
Bono looks ok when his hair is brown but really black and obviously dyed:barf:
Grey hair doesn't mean grandad, Adam rocks the grey hair, so does George Clooney.
Who cares if it makes them look old, they are old. What's next, a facelift?:ohmy:

Excuse me, I don't know how old you are but I'm only 2 years younger than Bono, and I certainly don't feel "old"! :angry:

Bono still looks good with jet back hair, he just needs to grow it out a couple of inches!! :drool:

hcbiggs2002 said:

I don't think anyone here is saying there's anything wrong with getting older but grey hair just makes some people look older than what they actually are, note Kimby's post! And I don't think ANYONE wants that!?! And I personally just think that grey hair would definitely make Bono look older than what he really is. I believe one should always look as young, or old, as one feels!! :wink:

Also Bono's been dying his hair and putting in highlights etc. for a long time even before he started going grey, so why should he have to stop now?!? :shrug:

And Kimby, I reckon you should just "take the money and run"! Would serve 'em right!! :giggle:

To tell you the truth, I have friends in the age range who have gray hair - and it took me awhile to notice - simply because they're great people who don't bemoan the hair! It simply doesn't matter to them, and therefore, it doesn't matter to anyone around them. Your personality will shine through, no matter what!

And, um..Anderson Cooper has gray hair. He doesn't look very old (ok, some of that may be tv makeup, but I somehow doubt it) to me. And if you 'look older than you actually are' so /what/? I look younger than I actually am. That's just goofy, to me, to put so much worry into it. And it'll give you more gray hair :grin: to sit there worrying over it. Let it go, take good care of yourself, and love the gray. It might make a bigger difference than you think.

BTW Bono should stop now because he'll start looking like that guitarist from the Rolling Stones. That man looks absolutely /stoopid/ with black hair. Sting, on the other hand, looks just fine.

Hinder said:

BTW Bono should stop now because he'll start looking like that guitarist from the Rolling Stones. That man looks absolutely /stoopid/ with black hair. Sting, on the other hand, looks just fine.

:no: Please don't compare Bono to Keith Richards, the man looks so creepy that I am having nightmares looking at him. My father is the same age and he is good looking compared to Keith. It's the drugs and the lifestyle, horrible. Bono will never look like that. He has a very characteristic, pronounced face, he's handsome. I think he has given up on dying his hair black. Every now and then you can see the grey coming through and then it's dyed again, but it's more reddish, brown now, not black anymore. I think he knows very well that the black just doesn't fit his age.

Hinder said:

And if you 'look older than you actually are' so /what/? I look younger than I actually am. That's just goofy, to me, to put so much worry into it. And it'll give you more gray hair :grin: to sit there worrying over it. Let it go, take good care of yourself, and love the gray. It might make a bigger difference than you think.

Yes, bloody well does matter! I personally have no desire to be mistaken for a old age pensioner (i.e. 60 or older!) not until I actually am one, while I'm still in my forties!! For heaven sake that's like saying that a 20 year old shouldn't mind being mistaken for a 40 year old!! :huh:

Okay, while I stand by my point that Bono would look cute with grey hair, I'm not saying he should let it go grey just yet. Nor am I saying he should keep dying it forever. Bono's still young enough that he can dye his hair, either his natural reddish light brown, or the dark brown he's been dying it for ages, without looking silly. But, in ten years or even 15 years, he's going to get to the point where the dyed hair is going to stop looking right on him, because it will look completely unnatural next to the way his face will have aged. At that point, I'll probably certainly prefer him to let it go naturally grey.

Grey hair doesn't necessarily mean old...I have a few grey hairs that started when I was 16 or 17, and they keep increasing each year till now I have so many silvery white hairs on the crown. I don't wanna dye it, not yet. :D

Slopsy said:
Nahhh. I couldn't get used to it grey. However, if he's gonna dye it I reckon he should go darker brown or black, it looks weird when it's all ginger-y :no:

I agree.

When I first saw Adam all gray, I thought he looked wicked old. Given that he's just a few years my senior, and the fact that I only have a bit of gray on my sides, I don't think a man has to be totally gray in his early or mid-40's (or even late 40's).

Bono and Adam will have plenty of time to be gray and "natural". For the time they are "rock stars", I think at least some semblance of youth is needed. One doesn't see Mick Jagger with gray hair.

Now, I'm not saying they should all get face lifts, liposuction and tummy tucks. But keeping themselves in decent shape, keeping a hair color and appearing youthful (but at the same time, appropriate for their ages - nothing looks worse than a 40-something trying to look like a 20-something) is appropriate. I don't act like a 20-something, but at the same time, I'm not wearing "old man clothes" either. ;)

doctorwho said:

I agree.

When I first saw Adam all gray, I thought he looked wicked old. Given that he's just a few years my senior, and the fact that I only have a bit of gray on my sides, I don't think a man has to be totally gray in his early or mid-40's (or even late 40's).

Bono and Adam will have plenty of time to be gray and "natural". For the time they are "rock stars", I think at least some semblance of youth is needed. One doesn't see Mick Jagger with gray hair.

Now, I'm not saying they should all get face lifts, liposuction and tummy tucks. But keeping themselves in decent shape, keeping a hair color and appearing youthful (but at the same time, appropriate for their ages - nothing looks worse than a 40-something trying to look like a 20-something) is appropriate. I don't act like a 20-something, but at the same time, I'm not wearing "old man clothes" either. ;)

Yeah. And he also looks like roadkill. Bono doesn't. And they /do/ have gray, so they should show it. There's no real need to have the semblance of youth. They aren't teenagers. They're adult men with children. They should look like it. It wouldn't diminish their ability to rock. But, of course, you guys are obsessed with youth. The fact is, they /are/ going to be 60 in a few short years. :shrug: But that's okay. I like them because I like them, not because they look young. They don't - they look like fortysomething men who rock.

Hcbiggs - are you always so critical of what you look like? I doubt you'd look 60 with gray hair. If that pic you have as your avatar is you, even with gray hair, you wouldn't look 60. I think you're overdramatizing it a bit too much. Afraid of getting older for some reason? I just find it really puzzling that you're so down on gray hair. Puzzling, and funny. I've never met a bunch of people so fixated on being 'youthful.' It's silly.

Last edited:
13 years isn't exactly a few short years :lol: I guess not to me at least. I guess my opinion is, it really doesn't matter if Adam wants to show his silver and Bono doesn't yet. He's still young enough to dye or not dye and look good. But yeah when he's 60 I certainly hope we'll be seeing his silver by then.

You know, as far as silver/white hair goes. The first time I saw Anderson Cooper, several years ago, I first thought that he was probably in his 40s, just because of the hair. But 2 seconds later, I looked at his face and went "Wow, he looks young." Then I found out that he was only in his 30s (he's 40 now)

I now love Anderson Cooper for a number of reasons, one of which is his hair. I'm quite certain I never would've paid much attention to him at all, had his hair not surprised me and intrigued me so much. I dunno, maybe I'm weird :lol:

Grey hair just doesn't seem like such a bad thing to me :shrug: I'm only 22 and already getting grey hairs (quite a few to be honest), and it doesn't really bother me. Yes, I'm about to dye my hair, but that has nothing to do with the grey. I've been dying it different colours off and on for half of my life (literally half, since I was 11). Besides, I'm dying my hair pink :wink: When I get older though, I don't plan on dying my hair brown (my natural colour) just to cover the grey. I'm actually looking forward to headful of silver :) I think it'll look good on me :lol:

Again, maybe I'm weird. To each her own, I suppose.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
You know, as far as silver/white hair goes. The first time I saw Anderson Cooper, several years ago, I first thought that he was probably in his 40s, just because of the hair. But 2 seconds later, I looked at his face and went "Wow, he looks young." Then I found out that he was only in his 30s (he's 40 now)

I now love Anderson Cooper for a number of reasons, one of which is his hair. I'm quite certain I never would've paid much attention to him at all, had his hair not surprised me and intrigued me so much. I dunno, maybe I'm weird :lol:

Grey hair just doesn't seem like such a bad thing to me :shrug: I'm only 22 and already getting grey hairs (quite a few to be honest), and it doesn't really bother me. Yes, I'm about to dye my hair, but that has nothing to do with the grey. I've been dying it different colours off and on for half of my life (literally half, since I was 11). Besides, I'm dying my hair pink :wink: When I get older though, I don't plan on dying my hair brown (my natural colour) just to cover the grey. I'm actually looking forward to headful of silver :) I think it'll look good on me :lol:

Again, maybe I'm weird. To each her own, I suppose.

I think you're just weird. :p

:wink:

Hinder said:

Hcbiggs - are you always so critical of what you look like? I doubt you'd look 60 with gray hair. If that pic you have as your avatar is you, even with gray hair, you wouldn't look 60. I think you're overdramatizing it a bit too much. Afraid of getting older for some reason? I just find it really puzzling that you're so down on gray hair. Puzzling, and funny. I've never met a bunch of people so fixated on being 'youthful.' It's silly.

Yes that is me in my avatar, taken two years ago outside the Parken a few minutes before the roads opened. And despite what you think, I'm not obsessed with being young or that terribly critical of my looks, no more than anyone else, I gave that up a long time ago! :wink: I just want to look the best I can and I don't care whether grey would suit me or not I just don't particularly like the colour grey!! I don't own and very many grey coloured clothes and those I do own, I hardly ever use! Nor will you find any grey in the colour scheme of my house. I'm very happy with the person I've become and am totally at peace and feel sorry for the 20 somethings who don't seem to have a clue, know I used to be one! And I don't need any patronizing or condescending advice about how I should live my life or what colour my hair should be thank very much! :grumpy:

Last edited:
blueeyedgirl said:

:lol: Neil Young as a stylistic role model...

Has Bono had better haircuts than Neil Young?

This thread is not about anyone's fashioin sense, I've even seen photos of NY wearing the same pair of jeans 30 years apart.

I think it depends on the person.

One thing that really got to me, was the long hair. No offense to anyone who is a fan of his long hair. I admit, I am a fan of his long hair - until the Vertigo Tour. That's when it just didn't look right on him anymore in a lot of pics. There are some pics of him from that era with the long hair that are just...:no: And then there are others where it is okay.
I was pleased to see he had changed things up and went for the short hair. The long hair just didn't suit. I can't see that it would've looked much better black either.

I think he should keep it short and maybe keep dying it that nice reddish brown or whatever it is he keeps doing. Maybe a darker brown. Don't get me wrong, I liked both long and black hair. But to me, it wouldn't look right on him now.

I've seen him with bits of gray in his hair, I personally think it makes him look a lot older than he is. And I don't think he'd suit a full head of gray/silver hair at his age. I think it would make him look a lot older than he really is. Just like it depends on the person for coloured/long hair, it does for gray/silver too. Adam pulls it off VERY nicely. I can't so much seeing Bono looking very good like that right now.

Then again, this is all in my own opinion. :wink:

Serena Vox said:
One thing that really got to me, was the long hair. No offense to anyone who is a fan of his long hair. I admit, I am a fan of his long hair - until the Vertigo Tour. That's when it just didn't look right on him anymore in a lot of pics. There are some pics of him from that era with the long hair that are just...:no: And then there are others where it is okay.
I was pleased to see he had changed things up and went for the short hair. The long hair just didn't suit. I can't see that it would've looked much better black either.

I think he should keep it short and maybe keep dying it that nice reddish brown or whatever it is he keeps doing. Maybe a darker brown. Don't get me wrong, I liked both long and black hair. But to me, it wouldn't look right on him now.
I agree completely about the length. Sometimes it looked good on him during the Vertigo tour, but often it looked awful. I didn't really realize how bad it was though, until he cut it and I saw the vast improvement.

I agree he should keep it short. I like it as short as it is now, and it would probably look good slightly longer (up to the Electrical Storm length), but no longer. Not anymore.

U2FanPeter said:

Has Bono had better haircuts than Neil Young?

This thread is not about anyone's fashioin sense, I've even seen photos of NY wearing the same pair of jeans 30 years apart.
:ohmy: I hope he washed them...

When has Bono ever followed Adams example, hair or fashion wise, and why should he start now? :shrug:

It's totally his choice if he has his hair long or short, coloured or grey. Just like it is everyone elses choice with their own hair. I choose to colour my hair as at the age of 31 I am well and truly grey. I have no problem with others having their hair grey, but I CHOOSE to colour mine simply because I like it. For anyone to suggest that this is a youthful fixation is simply fixated on the wrong end of the stick. I have preferences of what style and colour I like on Bono, just as people who know me would have preferences about my hair, but I simply just don't care enough to make an issue of it! There's no harm in open discussion about personal preferences but nowhere along the way should we belittle anyones choice just because it may be different to ours.

:wink:

Last edited:
DreamOutLoud13 said:

I agree completely about the length. Sometimes it looked good on him during the Vertigo tour, but often it looked awful. I didn't really realize how bad it was though, until he cut it and I saw the vast improvement.

I agree he should keep it short. I like it as short as it is now, and it would probably look good slightly longer (up to the Electrical Storm length), but no longer. Not anymore.

I totally agree with everything in this post. Even I don't have as many bad hair days as Bono did on the Vertigo tour :) :) and I don't have a stylist attending to it any more than once every six weeks. But there were many days when his hair looked awesome and kind of ZooTV tour-ish. I think as long as he keeps his appointment with his colorist every four weeks, he should be fine. I'm not ready to see gray hair on Bono...not yet.

Actually, the length in my avatar is a nice length!

Last edited:
The long hair hasn't really worked since Zoo TV. To me the BD/ES haircut is the way to go now.

Black, dark brown...both work (as long as it's not the 2003-ish red). In time it won't work anymore. (see Mick Jagger, Richards...)

I'm curious to see how grey he - really - is beneath the dye (or Edge, for that matter). I think he could do it nicely enough with the current hair length. Adam always looked the oldest in the band but I think his current look is his best yet.

This pic which is at least over a year and a half old now shows a lot of grey at both their temples. No complaints from me tho... they both still look great.

bonoedgeagingbeautifully.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom