Shadows and Tall Trees chap 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

englishmuffin

Babyface
“So you and your brother actually made this guitar?” Katrina asked running her fingers over the cold strings.
“Yeah,” said Dave, “Sure, we did a crappy job, but at least it makes the right sounds.” Katrina turned to him
“I think it’s amazing.” Dave smiled, he was happy that she was so pleased with it.
“What type is it?” she asked trying to remember what Nicole had told her about which guitars were good and which ones were bad.
“A Flying V.”
‘Good but more hard core looking’ she remembered Nicole’s voice saying. Katrina didn’t care if it was hard core or not. She loved it. She liked the light yellow color of the guitar.
“How long did it take to make?”
“I dunno, a few months.”
“Wow” Katrina whispered. “It’s fantastic.”
Dave grinned.
“How long have you been playing?” Katrina asked.
“Since I was seven.”
“My favorite number.” Katrina said sitting at Dave’s kitchen table.
Dave sat too. He liked Katrina very much. She was smart, kind and funny. She wasn’t judgmental either. She wasn’t at all like the other girls at Mount Temple who just saw him as ‘that one quiet Evans kid’; she was actually interested in him, wanting to know who he really was.

“Thank you for taking me here,” Katrina said looking around at Dave’s house. “It’s so nice here. Much better than the bonfire.” She grinned at Dave. He grinned back,
“Don’t mention it.”
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Nicole tried and tried to smile and have a good time, but it was hard seeing as Mariah was with her mom, Katrina left with Dave, and Monique was off with Adam somewhere. She was just stuck with Jane, who was with all of her friends who were at least three years older than Nicole.
J
ust when she was considering leaving, someone tapped her shoulder. She turned to find Gavin Friday.
“Oh, hi Gavin.” She said.
“Hello Nicole, dear.” He said leaning on her shoulder. She laughed. She liked Gavin, he was a good friend. A funny one too.
“And how may I be of service to you?” Nicole asked walking towards the back of the Bonfire with him, where there was less noise.
“Well, not only me, my good woman, but a dear friend of mine by the name of Paul Hewson.” Nicole bit her lip. She and Paul weren’t thick as thieves right now.
“What about him?” Nicole asked, dreading the answer. Gavin shook his head and smiled,
“Don’t play with me, Nicole.” He said smiling gently, “We all know…..”
“Know what?” Nicole said trying to sound innocent. Actually she knew perfectly well what. She just didn’t want Gavin to know that she knew.
Gavin rolled his eyes
“Come on Nicole! He’s really upset, that you’re not talking to him!”
Nicole felt her temper rising
“Upset?!?! Wow, I didn’t know that making out with his girlfriend in front of me was his way of telling me he’s upset!” Gavin sighed.
“Look Nicole, what would you call it? That’s his way of dealing with it. By finding someone who like’s him after someone turns him down.”
Nicole’s temper reached boiling point,
“So what? So he can protect his precious pride?” Gavin blinked.

Nicole knew she had a bad temper but this was just ridiculous. She said no and Paul thinks that he can go and make out with someone in front of her. She wondered if he even knew that girl. If he just asked her to make out with him to make Nicole jealous. Wait, did that mean that she was getting jealous? No.
“Look Gavin, I’m sorry. But I can’t help you or him. My mind is made up.” She said finally. Gavin sighed again,
“Well at least I tried! Shouldn’t let this take the wind out of my sail!” he said smiling at Nicole, trying to creep a smile out of her. It worked
“I enjoy your optimism.” Nicole said. Gavin started to lead her back to the bonfire.
“I wouldn’t be Gavin Friday with out it, darlin’!”

Back
Top Bottom