Shadows and Tall Trees chap 12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

englishmuffin

Babyface
Nicole came wandering down the park. She thought back to the beginning of the year, when she Mariah, Monique and Katrina had exited the gloom that is home schooling. Nicole remembered how when she first saw Paul, how sad he looked, but how nervous she was around him and she didn’t even know who he was. Now, everything was so much different.

It had been almost a month now since she had talked to Paul. Every now and then Gavin Friday, or Guggi, or some other member of the Lypton Village would wander over to Nicole and try to talk to her for Paul. She’d always tell them to come by if they wanted to talk to her and not Paul. She knew she was holding a grudge, but she couldn’t help it.

Nicole finally found an empty patch of grass by the small man-made lake/pond in the middle of the park. She sat down and watched the ducks float around in the water. Mariah’s voice floated into her head, Life is cruel, better get used to it Nicole smiled. Mariah was blunt. That’s all there was to it.

Nicole picked up a few pebbles that were close by her. She lobbed them, in the water, as hard as she could, trying not to hit the ducks.

“If you were trying to hit the ducks, your aim was way off.”
Nicole froze. She had no idea she was being watched. She turned around and looked up to find no one other than, Paul. He smiled down at her.
“Can I sit?” he asked pointing to the spot next to her. Reluctantly, Nicole moved over to make room for Paul.

As he sat, Nicole pretended to look interested with the four remaining pebbles in her hand. Paul smacked his lips
“So,” He said turning his head towards her, “I’ve been thinking lately.”
Nicole still stared at the pebbles.
“Have you, now?” she said sarcastically.
Paul smiled. Unfortunately for Nicole she saw him out of the corner of her eye. Her heart started to flutter.
“Yes, actually I have. And, after fighting with my conscience that I thought I got rid of years ago, I think I owe you an apology.”
Nicole put down the pebbles and looked at him.
“I’m listening.”
"I shouldn't have....you know in front of you."
Nicole could see in his eyes that he was a little uncomfortable.
what for? she wondered, I'm not gonna bite him.

"I guess I was thinking......no I wasn't thinking at all. I shouldn't have dealt with it that way and I'm sorry. I guess that's a part of me that needs to be fixed. Can you forgive my stupidity?" he asked.

Nicole couldn't help but smile at that last part. Also because those eyes of his were making her excited. Why did he have to be so charming? Or funny? Did he know that he was her weakness? Or that right now he was putting her under his spell?
"I'm sorry too." Nicole said.
"Now why on earth should you be sorry?” he said laughing a bit, “I’m the one who’s sorry. You have no reason to be sorry.”
“I shouldn’t have held a grudge against you.’ Nicole looked at her hands. Paul touched her shoulder. Smiling he said, “That’s what we get for being Irish, huh?”
Nicole laughed. She looked into Paul’s bright blue eyes. He had to be so charming. He could charm the devil. She thought, smiling more.

“So. We’re good right?” Paul asked unsure. Nicole chuckled.
“I could never stay mad at you. Even if you paid me.” Paul grinned ear to ear and pulled her into a hug. No one Nicole had ever known gave as good of hugs as Paul did. It was almost as if he squeezed all the problems out of you. Nicole liked to think that he did.

As she came out of the hug, there was a moment where she just got lost in Paul’s eyes, and he in hers. Then without knowing what caused it or what she was feeling. Paul put his hand around her neck and kissed her. And she kissed him back with as much passion as he was kissing her. It was at this moment that Nicole knew how she truley felt about Paul.

Weither the kiss lasted seconds, minuets, or hours, Nicole did not know. She just knew that she didn't want it to end. And that she never wanted to leave.

Back
Top Bottom