Sexism Thread Where Elizabeth Can Pontificate and/or Debate, Whichever she Chooses

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
YEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!!

ok i think there is a serious lack of awareness of sexism in the world today, or at the very least that backlash that susan faludi mentions and no one wants to agree with her. anyway, while driving to work friday, i noticed this horrifying billboard of a woman's breasts in a bikini top. it was an ad for a radio staion's morning show, with two DJs, and it said "what a pair!"

now this billboard is RIGHT AT a major corner where everyone turns to get on the highway. it is unavoidable when you are waiting at the light. a perfect advertising spot and a horrible, infuriating ad!!!

later that day, since all i do is drive, I saw three more of these billboards!!!!!!!!!!

i totally support freedom of speech as long as one's speech does not infringe upon other's rights!!! and this ad infringes on my rights of equal treatment and respect!!!

i think in general people are more sensitive to racism than they are of sexism and no matter how much that billboard company (lamar advertising in case anyone wants to boycott them) was paid to hang a racist ad, they would not hang it. But give them money to hang a photo of a woman's breasts and it's up in 2 seconds.

DAMMIT.

------------------
***ALOTWU***

Originally posted by elizabeth:
anyway, while driving to work friday, i noticed this horrifying billboard of a woman's breasts in a bikini top. it was an ad for a radio staion's morning show, with two DJs, and it said "what a pair!"

mad.gif

that is the kind of shite that really burns me up!
mad.gif
they are so blatant about it, and no one seems to care...apathy sucks!
i've even had some ppl (some are women) tell me i am too uptight!

------------------
*+*MaRiA*+*
lost on a silent planet
two lone, rising stars
locked in a silent planet
so close and yet so far...

[This message has been edited by sparkys girl (edited 04-07-2002).]

Originally posted by sparkys girl:
i've even had some ppl (some are women) tell me i am too uptight!

when people say that to me.....girl oh girl do i get mad!! i want to shake them and say "don't you realize how brainwashed you are??????"

------------------
***ALOTWU***

when people say that to me.....girl oh girl do i get mad!! i want to shake them and say "don't you realize how brainwashed you are??????"

the thing that really pisses me off is that IF you open your mouth and protest/ get angry about this kind of stuff (which i'm sure we all do!) you're automatically labeled some feminist psycho!! it's so annoying- people who i know very well have said this to me. I say, if WE dont stick up for our gender, who the hell will.

Elizabeth!? that's IT!?
the wage discrepancy between men and women who have the SAME jobs and do the SAME work doesn't bug you?
The fact that older men are paired pretty consistently with younger women on TV news, in movies, and on radio shows? The fact that women are objectified in music videos and often abused at concerts (usually not u2, but think Woodstock a couple years ago, other shows too) That the cosmetics industry tries to make us feel completely worthless and we LET them?
NO NEW ISSUES! not until we talk more about sexism!

Also, what about males and sexism, like the way the male nurse was played for laughs in "Meet the Parents"??

Sexism against males occurs every day on this forum LOL! Case in point, the PLEBA mansion fantasies, especially the bondage of Bono. Don't forget the elevated thread, the moobs and moofins, and you know the rest. Anyone plead guilty as charged?
wink.gif

------------------
"I DO go on, don't I?"-Bono, MCI Center, DC, June 14, 2001

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 04-07-2002).]

i wasn't out of topics, just out of steam for tonight! Forgive me!

There are soooo many things that make it tough to be a woman and a man. But i think i might actually say something to the radio station. that would be better than just complaining to my friends, wouldn't it?

------------------
***ALOTWU***

Originally posted by Bbug:
Okay. sorry to bug you.
Go elizabeth!
((((PANTAL POWER))))

hahaha....i know you didn;t mean to bug me...

hee hee!

lame joke.

who else is going to take up the crusade??
who else is going to take ACTION against sexism in their community???

------------------
***ALOTWU***

The fact that older men are paired pretty consistently with younger women on TV news, in movies, and on radio shows?

*thinks of Adam who I want to defile and who is 23 years older than me*

anyway
yes, the whole women in music thing sucks, I have been thinking of this while pondering my rock star career that has not yet taken off
Like, I'll think of something I want to do and realize it wouldn't work cos I'm a girl... It would be so much easier if I were a guy!
BOO

------------------
~ALOTWU!~
"It never ceases to amaze me. Here, we have a man who claims professes to enjoy flower arranging, has no qualms over donning a skirt at any given time and, now we learn, prefers to use the ladies' restroom. And yet somehow he manages to embody all that is masculine and sexy. I don't know how he does it. " ~Gina, on Adam
Gina: WOOHOO!

i wasn't out of topics, just out of steam for tonight! Forgive me!

There are soooo many things that make it tough to be a woman and a man. But i think i might actually say something to the radio station. that would be better than just complaining to my friends, wouldn't it?

this is a good idea, Elizabeth. Let us know if you get a response, and what it is.

who else is going to take up the crusade??
who else is going to take ACTION against sexism in their community???

I constantly fight sexism here...and let me tell you...Miami is probably THE most sexist place on earth. It's hard to be a respectable woman here and yes, I am constantly fighting against it. But I'm labelled a feminazi all the time. *sigh*

So I'm a feminist, but that's not all of who I am. I won't rant here...and I guess I really haven't said anything terribly important...just needed to let off a little steam. Thanks.

------------------
And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make.

My husband is from Mexico, and before he got deported I was faced with it everyday. He feels like women should stay at home bare-foot and pregnant. He worked and brought home the bacon,but I couldn't even go to the store. I felt like I lived in 1950 something.I was stuck at home on the weekends and he went to parties,bars or were ever he felt he wanted to go. Now I encounter it about once a week. but that's only because men are pigs. You can't even walk down the street without getting men spitting out crude remarks.

The fact that older men are paired pretty consistently with younger women on TV news, in movies, and on radio shows?

Okay, you got me on this one. Even my kids notice that in too many shows and especially commericials, old, fat, bald, unattractive men with guts are the 'father' while young, pretty, skinny girls with long blonde hair are 'mommy.' We all complain and have a big joke out of it because it constantly happens, again and again, every day. It's become redundant and common. I say, why is there never a couple that looks the opposite- young, buff guy with an older, heavy-set average looking woman? It wouldn't sell, but why is it okay for the man to be unattractive, but the woman has to be beautiful? That is not fair, and it pisses me off. Not only is it sexist and wrong, it's not fair I have to look at those old bald flabbies while guys get to see sexy women.
wink.gif
They could at least match young and pretty to young and pretty and older and not so good looking to each other.

------------------

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 04-07-2002).]

Originally posted by Tanya:
My husband is from Mexico, and before he got deported I was faced with it everyday. He feels like women should stay at home bare-foot and pregnant. He worked and brought home the bacon,but I couldn't even go to the store. I felt like I lived in 1950 something.I was stuck at home on the weekends and he went to parties,bars or were ever he felt he wanted to go. Now I encounter it about once a week. but that's only because men are pigs. You can't even walk down the street without getting men spitting out crude remarks.

Same story here. My first husband was from Mexico and everything Tanya wrote happened to me. I couldn't even have a checking account because he was afraid I'd spend my own money without asking him. His father kept a mistress and made his mom cook meals for the mistress' kids while they were off screwing. I wasn't about to spend my life with someone who cheated on me and said it was his right as a man. Ugh. I was home alone every single weekend because according to him, women didn't need to go out but men did. Forget the fact that I worked 60 hours a week and had 2 babies to take care of and he only worked 30 hours a week. He said he need to blow off steam and I needed to be a mother. Sexist pig.

My dad has to be the biggest sexist pig I know, when I was 22 I gave birth to a baby girl at 30 weeks into my pregnancy, the doctors took her early due to sever birth defects. My husband and I were blessed with 15 precious hours with our daughter,before her passing.Well while I was still in the hospital after giving birth, my dad had the balls enough to blame me for her death, because I am the woman I carried her in my body, I gave birth to her , and that something was wrong with me as a woman,k and that I shouldn't have any more children (blah, blah fucking blah)Sometimes I really hate men and think they all need to be nailed to a tree and left for the bugs!!!!!

Originally posted by dreams out loud:
My dad has to be the biggest sexist pig I know, when I was 22 I gave birth to a baby girl at 30 weeks into my pregnancy, the doctors took her early due to sever birth defects. My husband and I were blessed with 15 precious hours with our daughter,before her passing.Well while I was still in the hospital after giving birth, my dad had the balls enough to blame me for her death, because I am the woman I carried her in my body, I gave birth to her , and that something was wrong with me as a woman,k and that I shouldn't have any more children (blah, blah fucking blah)Sometimes I really hate men and think they all need to be nailed to a tree and left for the bugs!!!!!

I am so sorry about your baby and your tragic experience. ((((HUGS))))) It isn't just men who can be so cloddy and insensitive and evil though. My SISTER did exactly the same thing to me when I was still in the hospital after a heartbreaking miscarriage. I can't believe anyone, of any gender, especially a relative, could be so cruel.
frown.gif

Some people are just plain bitches or assholes regardless of their gender.

[This message has been edited by *Stormy* (edited 04-08-2002).]

This makes me think...I'm glad I never had such a tragic experience...cause my mom would surely have blamed me.

The only thing to say to someone after such an experience is "I'm sorry'.

My father in law was one of those 'there is men's work and there is women's work and never the twain shall meet'. He didn't want my mother-in-law to go anywhere...have any friends and was verbally abusive toward her (thank goodness all his sons took their mother's side and learned from this...they are almost feminists themselves!) When they moved mom found work right away...and he didn't. Guess who was stuck at home doing the housework...hehehe..we all laughed silently behind his back at that one. As soon as the youngest son turned 18 and joined the Navy...mom was out of there...and Dad couldn't understand it at all...he loved her...he did everything he could for her. That man was blind deaf and dumb!! Shook him up quite a bit..

Dad seems to have learned his lesson...he's married again to a very nice lady...who refuses to take any of that crap!!
biggrin.gif

dream wanderer

****WARNING...LONG POST*****

wow.....there are some really sad, sad men out there, but not all are bad. In the interests of overcoming sexism in ALL its forms, I don't want to male-bash, I want to ignorance-bash.

Luckily, my dad was not as sexist as most men from his generation. He definitely had his blind spots, but where I was concerned, there was absolutely no reason why I could do not do/be whatever I wanted. He was very adamant on that point. But he never did a good job coaching me at track...always wanted to coach me in softball or basketball (two sports I love but am not good at!!) I guess that was trackism...heh heh.

I wanted to say I heard about a book written by Richard Rodriquez, called Brown. He is a Mexican, male, homosexual. And he has a lot to say. This is not his first book, but it definitely talks about the relationships between Mexican husbands and wives, and the disrespect that is so prevalent, and how this relationship is so different from the one Mexican men have with their mothers...it's a strange, viscious circle. Something about Mexican men loving their angelic, suffering mothers for all their struggled with, yet perpetuating the same suffering on their own wives. I thought some people here might be able to relate to that.

I was thinking back to my days as a TA and the lectures we were required to give to the general classes (~300 students or so). I would always chose the emergence of feminism in the US, because I was in a very, very male department and none of them thought it was "interesting." And in my lecture I would ask who in the audience was a feminist. Barely 10 people would raise their hands!! These are college educated men and women!! They didn't really understand the meaning of the word. I would shock them and make them all laugh by saying, "Who here won't raise their hand because they are afraid it might mean they are a black-leather-clad-man-hating-psycho-nazi-lesbian?"

and they would chuckle and gasp and nudge each other and "omygoddidyouhearwhattheTAsaid?" blah blah blah. But when you get to the defintin of feminism - "no one should be treated differently because of their sex..." well, then all the hands would go up in the hair. "Oh yes, yes, Ms.TA...we all believe that!!"

and then after class the sexual politics and power plays with women being judged by their bodies and men being judged based on money all returns....

anyway, I have some free time at work. I am emailing that radio station now.

------------------
***ALOTWU***

you know what else I was thinking about?? The damn Tom Cruise movie Vanilla Sky.

How Tom Cruise is all attracted to Penelope Cruz because she is so beautiful and blah...and then he gets all ugly, and hates himself...

appearances are very important, and beautiful women HAVE to be paired with ugly men to appease the male ego in our Hollywood-driven-society...to strengthen the desparate hope the sad, sad men have that life will imitate art...

------------------
***ALOTWU***

GUESS WHAT???

this radio station is owned by clear channel communications!!! That is a nationwide industry!!! I have the info printed out, and later on I am going to post addresses and a form letter anyone can use to protest this ad!!

probably nothing will happen, but it will feel better to make my views known.

I once wrote to People Magazine and told them I would never buy their magazine, and discourage everyone I know from buying it, until they removed ads for cigarettes.

Now, my big problem with cigarette ads is the misleading quality of the ads, along with ads for alcohol.

The big problem with the boobs ad for the radio station...well....you have heard that in my earlier post.

------------------
***ALOTWU***

well I dont know if it's sexism or what it is- but lately i've been having these problems with guys i work with. For the sake of my sanity and my career, I do not want to date people at work. at the same time i don't want to close myself off to friendships, or jump to the conclusion that a guy is interested in "something more" just because we have lunch together.

yet, one guy i had lunch with (at work) slipped into 6 emails a day stalker mode, changing his routines to come by my office without my consent. when I did not return his advances it fizzled out. then another friend and I had lunch and I got side swiped and invited out to dinner- yet it was not an outward "date" invitation, although *sigh* it's the sense that I get.

I just feel as a woman, helpless to these advances. this guy and i are supposed to go out this week and while i sort of enjoy hanging out with him i do NOT want it to go further, and feel that any sort of evening we spend together will make it go further, at least in his mind. but I feel like I can't just say to him "i dont date people at work" b/c he'll say "oh, well it's not a date, just going out..." crap.

I dont know if this has much or any relevance in this thread, maybe I just had to vent because I am getting the impression that if I'm an enjoyable person to work with all these guys (i work in a predominantly male field) take it very personally and suddenly want more. God i hope i don't sound like a bitch here.

I'll add that I like this thread and these discussions. it's appalling to me how women are treated in this world some (most of) the time.

speaking of radio, men like howard stern don't help at all.

------------------
She never really belonged to me

U2 Take Me Higher

Not that I've never encountered this, but...um....PLEBA might be a bad place some days to argue sexism. I know it's kind of different, but--

BONO: *rubs pockets of bubble pants*

OK I lost my train of thought.

------------------
~*Mona*~
ani_bono.gif

LOVE me, give me SOUL

"Rock n Roll never tasted so good" ~Bono

"For the good of the nation ~ you MUST defile Bono" ~Echo
Get on the Boos

Many have I loved
Many times been bitten
Many times I've gazed
Along the open road.

Originally posted by WildHonee:
Not that I've never encountered this, but...um....PLEBA might be a bad place some days to argue sexism.

LOL. This was my original post on this subject, before the emotional stuff came up:

Sexism against males occurs every day on this forum LOL! Case in point, the PLEBA mansion fantasies, especially the bondage of Bono. Don't forget the elevated thread, the moobs and moofins, and you know the rest. Anyone plead guilty as charged?

------------------

Back
Top Bottom