Say it ain't so Edge!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mucca said:

I hope he still does. I can't see him without that les paul!! Even though it's his 2nd one I'm still pretty shocked that he's giving it away although props to him for doing it. :up:

Well, he said himself that it's the New Year's Day guitar, the third he has owned and a very special one for him.
So I think it really is "the" guitar, even though it has the number 2.

And now he will continue to play on the 1 guitar.

:applaud:

I think it's great that Edge is doing this. The Les Paul will be missed, but in the end, he'll use the backup I'm sure. Or bid on this one.

The rest of the band and everyone else who donated are amazing as well. :up:

:wink:

That's such a wonderful thing for him to do. I don't know if I could be that selfless. :reject:

Bono should bid on it. :giggle: :evil:

Anyone remember that story from "U2 At the End of the World" where two different people in the U2 organisation each sent a fake bidder to a house auction and they bid against each other to some astronomical price? :giggle:
I wonder what the odds are of that happening again... :hmm: All for a good cause though! :D

I went to the auction exhibit in Beverly Hills yesterday and learned a few things I felt needed to be passed along. First, reporters and camera crews from both AP and Reuters were there. The AP team said the story will be online, probably Monday. Reuters isn't sure but keep checking their site. U2 was the big focus in both stories.

Second, if you're in Dublin and thinking about seeing the exhibit at The Clarence, plan ahead and get there early. Julien's is expecting huge lines of people for that showing.

Third, the New York sale is going to be amazing so get tickets if you can. Bill Clinton is going to be there. New Orleans musicians, including Aaron Neville, are going to be performing. And the night will end with a very special performance by surprise guests who couldn't be named but the Julien's guy said I could look around the room at the stuff up for auction and take guesses. Damn I wish I could go.

Fourth, buy the catalog. I was told Edge was extremely involved in supervising the making of the catalog (which is why it wasn't available for purchase in LA during the exhibition--he's such a perfectionist), including writing many of the descriptions. All of the descriptions for his stuff are written in first person and have really cute personal stories with them. The Julien's guys said it is the most beautiful catalog they've ever been involved with. Right now, they don't know if money from the catalog will go to Music Rising because they have to cover costs first but if enough sell, there's a good chance the organization will get something. I'm buying mine today.

I didn't get to see Adam's bass or Larry's drum because they'd already been shipped off but I did get to take in the Les Paul for a good amount of time and it's amazing. Paint on the back is almost completely gone from where it's been rubbing against Edge's hips for the past quarter century. There's a huge ding on one side. Inlays are chipped along the neck. There's chips and swirls and scratches all along the body. And it has a "2" sticker on the back. I can't imagine estimating a price for it because it seems priceless to me.

And I heard a cute story from the Julien's guys about when they arrived at an estimate for the Les Paul. They asked Edge what price he would feel comfortable letting it go for because they say they always want donors to be satisfied. Edge had them ask Gibson what the current street value for that guitar is (about $4,000) and said he wanted to be sure it wouldn't go for any less than that, out of respect for Gibson and all. The Julien's people were blown away by his modesty. I think Edge is going to be pleasantly surprised by the sale outcome.

Last edited:
iloveedge said:
Edge is giving out this one too!

guitaredgeauction.jpg

Omg they're giving away alot of they're stuff!

this already has a bid on it.

and great story Devlin! I really want to buy the catalog but I'll have to wait to see how much I spend on vacation this week :reject:

It sounds like ticket information for the NYC event was supposed to be announced today. I have something I'm supposed to do for school that weekend, but I might be able to reschedule that. And the Greyhound station is within walking distance of the Hard Rock Cafe :hmm:

I ordered the catalog and will happily post scans from it here once it arrives. And the company often has catalogs from past sales available for quite a while so I don't think there's a rush to purchase it for those of you light on cash right now.

And BonoIsMyMuse, if I was you, I'd totally take the chance to go to the HRC event. It sounds like it's going to be a night to remember.

Edge is indeed donating his second one of this guitar. Regarding the Irish Falcon. Originally 10 were made.
As far as I know one is donated to the Rock&Roll Hall of Fame, one belongs to Daniel Lanois and Bono has at least two.

The ones you can order at regular shops are replica's of these.

I got the catalog yesterday and it is gorgeous! I'm so excited about all the money that's going to be raised for MusicRising with this, I'm predicting in the millions. Buy this catalog if you have the cash. My goal is to get Edge to sign it at some point.

I'll try my best to get some scans going later this week. Because Snapfish now sucks, I may just attach them and welcome anyone else to copy and repost them for non-premium peeps.

Back
Top Bottom