Rick Rubin During "The Wanderer" Performance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ladera Heights

The Fly
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I just noticed that Rick Rubin is rocking out next Larry in the recent The Wanderer performance.

And throughout the clip, you can see his Cousin It hair silhouetted in the wide angle shots.

He's in the upper left corner of the screencaps.

I think Rick is going to produce the next u2 record. They asked him to do HTDAAB, but he had to turn it down due to recording a record else where. I hope so, that'd be pretty cool.

Lo-Fi said:
I think Rick is going to produce the next u2 record. They asked him to do HTDAAB, but he had to turn it down due to recording a record else where. I hope so, that'd be pretty cool.

That would be great. But who knows, U2 are so comfortable with their usual crew (Lillywhite, Eno, Lanois), I can't ever see them going to anyone else, especially after the Chris Thomas debacle.

Rubin is probably there just because of his association with Johnny Cash in his last few albums. Plus, he's a huge U2 fan.

Lo-Fi said:
:ohmy: Where did you read that the band asked him to produce HTDAAB?

Rubin's methodology of late seems to be "let the artist be the artist." He freed Johnny Cash from the horrible production of his 1980s records ("Silver"? UGH!) and yanked Neil Diamond away from the syrupy crap that he has used lately... Giving Neil his first best seller in decades.

I suspect that if he was to work with U2, his direction would be something along the lines of, "Be U2." IE he would not offer much in the way of direction. That doesn't seem to be what the band looks for. They basically treat producers as extra bandmembers, as far as I can tell, so they'd want someone who would offer them new ideas rather than treating them in a hands-off sort of way.

I agree with Claude. U2 seems to like producers who bring alot of their own ideas to the table. Rubin's method has been to bring the best out of the artist by letting them be themselves. I do think Rubin's experience would certainly bring a lot to the table. It would be neat to see.

Back
Top Bottom