Red, White, & Blue Forever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thank you foadie

:hug: thank you for sharing that. I can't express my grief / sympathy for you, and just how brave I think you are. :hug:

I still can't put into words what I felt on that day... the only thing I can pinpoint is fear. And I don't ever want to feel anything like that again. Without forgetting all those lives that were lost... I sometimes wish we could just erase that day somehow...

((((((((Foadie))))))))

:sad:

i don't think september 11th should be a holiday because you know what? it'll just be another day off for the kiddies..years down from now, the young people won't even know why they have a day off, but will be out, running for joy that school is out..i'm saying this because i remember sitting that morning in school, immensely angry and frightened. the tv was on, and everything stopped, we just all watched the tv, well almost all..there were girls, putting on lip gloss, and making fun of stuff on the tv.one even joked, saying something about knocking the other buildings down..the guys were goofing off as well. i left that class, angrily saying to my friend, "all these people are dying and no one cares!" and then i heard someone behind me, mimicking what i said- i was too angry to say anything. then, weeks after it all happened, the school had a rememberance day, and we all sat in the auditorium..and saw slides of what happened, and talked about it..those girls i saw, even the girl that made a joke..were all crying..do the young people even know what's going on? shouldn't they know? shouldn't we do something? instead of just giving them a day off? after thta, all i remember was coming home and watching tv..and trying to do my work, but i couldn't see because my eyes were watering. i looked over to the tv..and saw a man and a woman, holding hands, and jumping off a building. i cried for hours- hundreds lost their lives, many were left heartbroken, and what can we do? anything but just a little day off from work- sorry if this is negative, but it's just a thought I am sorry if this is offensive :hug: hugs to all :)

Foadie, wow. :hug: :(

I remember being at work, when the girl in front of me was listening to the radio on her walkman, saying, "A plane hit the WTC in New York." We were all like, "What?", then someone put the tv on and there was a large crowd gathered watching it all unfold. I didn't look at the tv, a short time later my mom called and I was so upset I couldn't even speak to her. I had to go to the bathroom a few times so no one would see me cry. :sad:

They ended up sending us home around 10:30, and I called everyone of my friends on the way, just to see if they knew, and were ok. I remember being scared, as we have an airport very near to us and there had been rumours of them hitting Detroit next (of course this was just everyone panicking, misinformation, etc, but still...). The sky looked so gorgeous, yet so unbeliveably eerie, with no planes in the air. Everything around me was still. I remember coming home to an empty house, still on the phone with my friend Randy, and just cleaning, anything to stay busy. I also remember wanting my mom to hurry home as they sent them home, too. I wanted nothing more than to hug my mom. :sad:

She came home and (leave it to my mom to make me laugh through my tears) she had with her chocolate donuts and wine ("rations", lol). My friend Mike came over to take me to see about donating blood, but of course any place we went to was jammed full. I came home, watched tv, talked to everyone, and didn't sleep at all that night.

I can't believe it was a year ago this week. :sad: :sad:

That day was so surreal for me. For some reason I didn't turn on my tv that morning before I left for class. When I turned on my car I heard that a plane had struck WTC 1 and I just sat in my car and couldn't move. I thought, that's so odd. I finally got out of my car and went back into my apartment to turn on the TV. When I did I found out that a second plane had struck WTC2. I ended up missing my first class. When I was able to get back in my car and start my 45 minute drive to class I had on a CBS am station. The woman reporting was hysterical. She was screaming about people jumping out of the buildings. You could hear the people around her crying and screaming too. My knuckles were white I was gripping the wheel so tightly.
When I heard about the plane that went down in PA and the grounding of all flights I worried for my friends working/living in downtown chicago.
Anyway, the point to all my rambling is how disgusted I was with my professor. I am getting my teacher certification for secondary ed and someone in my class asked my prof. how to handle a situation like this in a class room. She promptly told him that we had other things to talk about and to handle the situation as he saw fit. I lost all respect for her that day...
I don't know how I would have handled it. I cried the entire day. I even broke down in tears when I was waiting tables that evening. Since I'm going to be a Social Sciences teacher I plan to remember September 11th every year I teach. How are other teachers here going to handle it?
sorry so long....

On the morning of September 11th during my commute to work I remember making plans with a friend of mine to get tickets for the second leg of U2's tour. The train we were on was going soooo slow, and kept stopping. nothing out of the ordinary on a NYC subway.

When I came to my office (around 9am) one of the guys who works in the building lobby came up to the floor and asked if we had a tv and to turn it on cuz a plane had hit the WTC. Now this guy is always fooling with me so of course, I didnt believe him. The tv is in my boss's office so I asked him if I could turn it on to see what was going on. When I mentioned to him that a plane had hit the WTC, he giggled. Only because he assumed that it was some buffoon who was flying a single engine propeller plane and accidentally hit the building. If only.....

So, we gather around the TV and we're aghast at what we are seeing. But at that moment it only seemed like a tragic accident. Suddenly, appeared that second plane. I watched it hit the 2nd tower live on TV. I listened as the news anchor screamed in horror.

We stared at the TV for a while and then TRIED to start our workday. My brother in law works 3 blocks from the WTC so I immediately tried to call him. But all circuits were busy.

Next we heard of the attack on the Pentagon. Then the crash in PA. At that moment I said to myself, "Oh, my good God, we are being attacked. This is a war!!"

At 10:30 we evacuated our offices. Me and my sis (who also works in my office) arranged to have every family member or friend we knew in NYC to meet at our building so we could be together. strength in numbers. Note, I am no where near the WTC, I am in midtown Manhattan, but as I waited outside my building for my mom, and my friends, ash and soot and dust was falling on my shoulders. The buildings had collapsed and I had no idea until I got home and saw it on TV. Oh, I had heard it on the street, but I had no idea what they meant when they said, "They are gone". I just couldn't grasp it.

All public transportation was suspended. There was no way on or OFF that island-except by foot.

I walked home from work that day..12 miles and 5 ? hours. It was a mass exodus out of the city. Some people who walked beside me had dust on their shoes and in their hair.

Everyday, I fear that it will happen again. Call it post traumatic syndrome or whatever. But when I am out to buy lunch, or when I'm on a bus crossing the Tri-boro bridge or on the subway,I fear that it's going to happen again.

This anniversary does not seem to ease the mind. Sorry to ramble so much.

Last edited:
((((((loopy))))))))
:hug:

I'm so glad that you and your family were not harmed.

Have you tried talking to a grief counselor or someone that specializes in Post Traumic Stress Syndrome? It is one thing to live cautiously, but don't let it overrun your life.

I am always one to try to find the bright side to everything....and this is the one thing I cannot....there is no bright side to this tragedy. All I can do is offer :hug: but even then, it doesn't feel like enough.

u2loopy said:

Everyday, I fear that it will happen again. Call it post traumatic syndrome or whatever. But when I am out to buy lunch, or when I'm on a bus crossing the Tri-boro bridge or on the subway,I fear that it's going to happen again.

This anniversary does not seem to ease the mind. Sorry to ramble so much.

I'm the same way. The building I work in is at a pretty high risk for terrorist attacks (domestic or foreign) at all times, and the building next to and attached to mine is definitely always a target. The hightened alert is pretty upsetting to me now. :(

I just want to say thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts, feelings- stories. We all went through this together, and we will
all survive the anniversary together. :hug: :heart:

Loopy- :hug: for my fellow New Yorker- stay strong and remember that NY is the best place ever!! (I grew up
in the Bronx hehehe)

Meegannie- Stay strong as well- you have the highest security in the country where you are, so don't worry- just remember. :hug:

Oh, say, can you see, by the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars, thro' the perilous fight'
O'er the ramparts we watched, were so gallantly streaming.
And the rockets red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say, does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore dimly seen, thro' the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected, now shines on the stream;
'Tis the star-spangled banner: oh, long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave.

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion
A home and a country should leave us no more?
Their blood has wash'd out their foul footstep's pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight or the gloom of the grave,
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

Oh, thus be it ever when free men shall stand,
Between their loved homes and the war's desolation;
Blest with vict'ry and peace, may the heav'n-rescued land
Praise the Power that has made and preserved us as a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust";
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

rwbribbon.jpg

Thanks, girls. :) :heart:

You NY girls are so strong. I know how hard all of this is for me, and I didn't experience even a fraction of what you did.

It's hard to not let my worries spiral when everyday I see all the flaws in the Capitol complex's security, but I know I'm safer than I would be without it.

I hope everyone has a safe day and peaceful day tomorrow, wherever you live. :hug:

I remember that infernal day. Here it's CT zone and it'll be 9/11 again in just a couple of hours. Last year I wasn't working that day, and I found out about the attack from the Internet. I have two sisters who live in New York City, and one of them was still in Lower Manhattan at the time. I was quite nervous, needless to say, until I got word that they were safe. What should they put at Ground Zero? Hm.....I'm not quite sure. Not another skyscraper. Maybe some sort of museum, a New York City museum or something to pay tribute to a great city. Those people didn't die in vain........we will never forget.

Foadie, I'm profoundly sorry about your loss and your personal life having to be thrust into the results of the imperialistic American foreigen policy of the last 50 years.

I just can't weep for America like everyone else seems to be doing so easily, with few exceptions. Anyone who knows one iota about American third world policy can't. I feel so bad for the individuals and their families and friends who were torn apart, but as for America, there's evidnce that suggests every president since FDR could potentially be imprisoned for crimes against humanity. All this flag waving seems like the over-exaggerated posturing of a country with a guity couscience.

Y'all don't have to agree with me or even listen, but go out and read some Chomsky. It's good for your brains.

these events should be a reminder of how precious life is. Many people from all over the world were murdered this day. You do not have to be an American and have national pride to be sad.
I was very close to losing friends and family this day. Friends and family who like Foadie and Loopy had to run for their lives. I had coworkers flying in the air that morning. One who should have been on one of those flights from Boston, but missed his flight because it was his childs first day of kindergarten. And I could have been on a flight that morning, instead my flight plans were made to fly out to LA Sept 12, 2001.

Murder is murder and something like this should never happen again, no matter what country you live in!!!! ..Listening to the news and hearing terrorists attack and kill innocent people in the Middle East, Europe, Asia, Africa, South America and around the world to just make a point toward Gov't and Religion makes me angry. The first attempt on the Trade Center and the Oklahoma City Bombing was an eye opener for many of those living in the US that there are people who hate the US so much that they would and will kill to make a point.

Most of us know there is a lot of anger from other people including some American's today over the US governmental foreign policies. And we all know that people will not agree with the patriotism that is running through this country.
People are on high alert here and all over the world today. It is a sad thing that the world cannot get along and that innocent lives have to be taken to prove points and to protect the safety of those around the world. There is no easy solution. I personally hate that certain freedoms that I once had are now altered because of the events. I am mad that I have to take extra caution when I am flying, when I go to work and when I open my mail. It makes me mad there are people all over the world who do not know me hate me because I am simply an American and would choose to kill me because they simply have issues with the US Gov't policy. People on this earth sadly will never get along.

Last edited:
MiniFly said:

I just can't weep for America like everyone else seems to be doing so easily, with few exceptions. Anyone who knows one iota about American third world policy can't. I feel so bad for the individuals and their families and friends who were torn apart, but as for America, there's evidnce that suggests every president since FDR could potentially be imprisoned for crimes against humanity. All this flag waving seems like the over-exaggerated posturing of a country with a guity couscience.

Y'all don't have to agree with me or even listen, but go out and read some Chomsky. It's good for your brains.

Hey, Minifly, how about saving this discussion for tomorrow, eh????

Foadie said:

Loopy- :hug: for my fellow New Yorker- stay strong and remember that NY is the best place ever!! (I grew up
in the Bronx hehehe)

rwbribbon.jpg

Thanks foadie. You stay strong as well. By the way...where in the Bronx did you grow up???? Where do you live now????

daisybean said:
((((((loopy))))))))

I'm so glad that you and your family were not harmed.

Have you tried talking to a grief counselor or someone that specializes in Post Traumic Stress Syndrome? It is one thing to live cautiously, but don't let it overrun your life.

I am always one to try to find the bright side to everything....and this is the one thing I cannot....there is no bright side to this tragedy. All I can do is offer :hug: but even then, it doesn't feel like enough.

Thanks daisy!! No I have not gone to any grief counseling or such. I THANKFULLY did not lose anyone close to me. But we all lost something on that day didn't we.

I can't help but live in fear when you work in a big city and the news is always saying, "There will be another attack, we don't know when or where". The important thing I have to remind myself (unfortunate as it may be) is that these terrorists don't only hate New Yorkers...they hate Americans.

I've been better the last couple of months but with the anniversary, it brings everything back.:sad:

I do not remember the exact number of countries who lost citizens, but it's something like 60. They came from all of the continents. I don't think it's an exclusively American thing, the press is just making it that way. Terrorism is a global problem. That's why we need to stop Global AIDS and other horrors. Have a nice day.:love: :love: Get out and enjoy yourself some sexy PLEBA pix.........:drool: :heart: :heart: :silent: :evil: :censored:

I'm gonna make my entire dorm listen to The Rising later

:hug: to all of us away from home like myself.
And :hug: to everyone for sharing their stories.
It's really hard for me to even think about this, much less talk about it (and I was in Michigan at the time).
But I almost cried in my Visual Culture class today (that'd be a great first impression, huh?) because the Prof kept trying to use what happened last year as an example for something, and it was really bothering me. (And I hardly ever cry, too)
Sorry if this makes no sense, :hug: to everyone anyway.

I usually keep silent about political issues because I like to keep the stresses of my work seperate from my personal life, but this is something I felt I needed to respond to:

MiniFly said:

I just can't weep for America like everyone else seems to be doing so easily, with few exceptions. Anyone who knows one iota about American third world policy can't.

:tsk:

I know QUITE a bit more than an iota about American foreign policy, considering that's what I do for a living....

The issue here isn't whether America should have expected these attacks, or whether American's foreign policy over the last 100 years contributed to our situation now. Undoubtably, it did. The INNOCENT civilians who were killed last year, however, in no way, by no stretch of the imagination, deserved to die like that. They were innocent people, most of them fairly young with new families, who were just going about their daily routines. It's unfair to even suggest that their lives were worth less and that the situation is less tragic only because of their nationalities and where the attacks occured.

A LOT of the reactions against September 11th--the commercialization, the posturing, the taking advantage of a horrible situation like that to advance personal political agendas, etc--piss me off, but I don't feel any less grief for the husbands who lost their wives, the wives that lost their husbands, the children who lost their parents, and the parents who lost their children. Not because the tragedy took place in America, but because it took place on this planet and that it was commited by other human beings. That's what disgusts me and makes today painful for me.

Last edited:
MiniFly said:

I'm sorry you feel that way. I think most people know that America has done things in it's past that we should all be ashamed of....However, that doesn't justify what happened a year ago. Two wrongs don't make a right.

You may see our renewed value for the American flag ad "over exaggerated posturing". However, I see it differently....I see it as a statement that we as a country, as a culture have stopped taking our freedoms for granted. That we as a country will not allow another group's hate for us bring us down.

I think it is safe to say that every American's life changed on that day one year ago. Some people begin to see the world as something more than just the United States. Some people stopped taking the little things like freedom of speech for granted. It gave some of us the chance to see what is really important: love, respect, charity, hope, and forgiveness.

However, for some people it made them angrier and more hateful. It would make me cry when I would hear someone say "We should just bomb all those sand n%ggers." Those were the people that the terrorists really got to....the ones who took the hate the hijakers sent over, and responded with hate.

*Smacks forehead* Did I once say that innocent people deserved what happened? NO! Today, I mourn the death of a safe world where citizens can't be safe in their own countries.

u2loopy said:

Thanks foadie. You stay strong as well. By the way...where in the Bronx did you grow up???? Where do you live now????

I grew up near Pelham Parkway! :p Where do you live? Right now I'm in 'Hattan- Upper West side.

Just wanted to say that I don't agree at all with the points made by MiniFly. (I know no harm was meant towards innocent people) I am too biased from working at the Peace Corps to say too much, but every government has it faults and it's strengths. "all this flag-waving" is supporting the strength of our UNITED States of America. I am sure you strongly believe this:

And we love to wear a badge, a uniform
And we love to fly a flag
But I won't let others live in hell
As we divide against each other
And we fight amongst ourselves

But I think we need to stay united as a country before we can
help of others. Everyone went about thinking about themselves
as one- "fending for oneself" and then the tragedy happened and
brought us together.

American%20Flag.gif

I really think they should rebuild the same building there again. To prove to bin Laden and all his little followers that we are not afraid of him. I also think it should be some kind of memorial like day for it. But not like a full out no-school no-work holiday. Just so we at least know that that happened and we dont forget and so on.

Yesterday, was a very tough day for me. All day in class I tried not to cry. We had an assembly and I said I would dress up as a firefighter by useing my grandfathers old gear. But from seeing all the images and stuff from the news and what not really got me there and I brokedown pretty much.

(((hugs to everyone out there)))

God bless America,
BiP

:sad: :hug:

BTW:This is a ticket that I saved from when I was in the World Trade Center three years ago. Charged alot of money but it was worth it.

Attachments

• worldtradecenter1999.jpg
    worldtradecenter1999.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom