Raising Ali's eyebrows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BONO'ppetit

War Child
Do you think any of the lyrics--past or present--have ever given Ali cause to raise an eyebrow? Lyrics, such as;

They say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon
You know I don't see you when she walks in the room

Or; Sometimes I feel like checkin' out
I wanna get it wrong
Can't always be strong

Maybe I just think too much but I'd have to ask what inspired them, among others. I used to write poetry whose inspiration I'd never confess to.

BONO'ppetit said:
Sometimes I feel like checkin' out
I wanna get it wrong
Can't always be strong

I think it's confusing to pull it out of the context of the entire song. I think the amount of times he says "Baby, baby, baby, light my way" definitely trumps the only time he says "sometimes I feel like checkin' out". To not ever once feel like "checkin' out" in a long term relationship seems pretty unrealistic to me; I don't see any harm in admitting that.

I see what you're saying, but 'checking out' could mean out of other things, not just a romantic or personal relationship. It's hard (for me) to not try to crawl inside the head of the poet.

In a similar vein - lyrics to New York - the line about "lose your balance, lose your wife, in the queue for the lifeboats"

what about WOWY - "and you give, and you give, and you give yourself away"

Of course we have to remember that many of the songs are not necessarily written from the writer's point of view.

Yeah...I guess I just never thought the song (Ultraviolet) was about him and Ali (or him and anyone). The lyrics just don't seem to match the way I've envisioned their relationship based on their descriptions and my imagination, but....who knows.

Spanish Eyes....now there's one I've always taken more literally to be referring to him and Ali.

Last edited:
Spanish Eyes - yes and probably the Sweetest Thing as well.

Also he is on record as saying an Cat Dubh is about when he briefly split up with Ali and went off with another girl (this is long before they were married)

Of course we have to remember that many of the songs are not necessarily written from the writer's point of view.
Exactly! So I want to know where these things *did* come from. Of course, we never really will, but it doesn't stop me from pondering. Just thinking out loud, I guess. :)

The book "Into the Heart" by Niall Stokes gives a lot of background/context on the songs, though I don't know if it explains that specific lyric.

financeguy said:
The book "Into the Heart" by Niall Stokes gives a lot of background/context on the songs, though I don't know if it explains that specific lyric.

Yes, I was thinking we should have someone look it up, although Bono does say in this book that often he either a) doesn't remember what the song was about, b) it wasn't significant enough to be about ONE specific event, or c) there are many interpretations and he won't give an answer for what lines are specifically about, see a and b. :shrug:

I do know that terrible Walk On book mentions the lyrics of Ultraviolet and I think grossly misinterprets it. Bah, that book makes me want to :barf:

BONO'ppetit said:
Exactly! So I want to know where these things *did* come from. Of course, we never really will, but it doesn't stop me from pondering. Just thinking out loud, I guess. :)

I think what makes songs special is what they mean to us and how each of us interprets the song personally, not really where they came from from the writer. :shrug:

kellyahern said:

I think what makes songs special is what they mean to us and how each of us interprets the song personally, not really where they came from from the writer. :shrug:
For me, it's usually both. I like to identify--in a way--with the poet/writer. It's the audiences way of making a connection, if you will.

That's how I feel, too--I mean about making a connection with the writer.

Of course, my own interpretation of the lyrics is important because that's usually what brings the emotion attached to the song. But knowing or at least having something of an idea in my mind of what the writer meant makes me feel even more about the lyrics.

I write my own stuff, and (maybe) in Bono's defense I'll say that a lot of times it's hard to identify exactly what situation is that's making you write something. A lot of times my stuff comes from outside me, like just on impulse I pick up a pen and it comes out. I know I'm feeling a certain way but I can't put my finger on what exactly is making me feel that way--and I write and then I feel better. Or it could be a variety of emotions that compel me to pick up a pen and jot down some ideas.

At any rate, I think there are many ways to interpret Bono's writing and that's part of the charm. :wink: Great topic, by the way.

I write my own stuff, and (maybe) in Bono's defense I'll say that a lot of times it's hard to identify exactly what situation is that's making you write something. A lot of times my stuff comes from outside me, like just on impulse I pick up a pen and it comes out. I know I'm feeling a certain way but I can't put my finger on what exactly is making me feel that way--and I write and then I feel better. Or it could be a variety of emotions that compel me to pick up a pen and jot down some ideas.
That's true. I look back on some of my old writings and wonder what put me in that mood. I remember much of why, but some just leave me baffled. Thanks, btw.

Back
Top Bottom