R.I.P Mr. Luciano Pavarotti

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
onekea said:

C'mon, do we not forget that this was an event that put together famous people. It's sad to think so, but we know some people went there only to see and some other were there only to be seen. It's the way the story goes everywhere in the world and a funeral doesn't make difference, unfortunately. :sigh:
Anyway, Pavarotti said once that he would have had people not wearing black at his funeral and that was maybe Nicoletta's choice.

I have a feeling that you're right, onekea, regarding why Nicoletta chose not to wear black.

I am moved beyond words by all these pics and all the video reports from the funeral.

Thanks to everybody who took the time to post them in this thread.

:hug: :pray:

kellyahern said:
gas1029276_008.jpg

I love Ali's crucifix, it's beautiful. :sad:

i cant believe hes gone.....i didnt even know he had cancer :sad:

and yeah edge does look like a bodyguard...

Thank you all for the pictures and the video links. Reading about Pavarotti refering to Bono as his "son" really makes my heart bleed, I have always thought there was a father-son kind of relationship going on, and it says so much that Bono was invited to his funeral, they have been very close.

Btw, it's true that Luciano didn't want people to wear black to his funeral, so Nicoletta was indeed one of a few who actually respected his wish.

Lara Croft, thank you! Can you translate it into English for those who don't understand Italian ... or any other Italiano/Italiana? Because I understand most of it but I don't think I can translate it properly. It's a nice article about Bono, his relationship to Luciano and his presence at the funeral. Thank you for giving the link.

It is obvious Bono, Edge and Luciano were pretty close.

After observing the pics and videos, I conclude that Bono & co were sitting on the very first line of seats, those are usually reserved for close family and friends.

:yes:

It was an invitation-only ceremony, that says a lot, Bono and Edge were invited, that shows how close they really were. They were sitting in the first row, Bono next to Italian director Franco Zefirelli, all were located very close to Luciano's family.

Bono was obvioulsy very much in grief and emotional pain. The italian article says he held Ali's hand and arm all the time and they embraced while Andrea Bocelli were singing. It also said that Bono and Edge didn't want to be bothered by Italian journalists, they said: Leave us alone, the pain is too big for us to speak. I think that you can clearly see that in Bono's face.

The article also says that they flew in from Dublin via private jet on Saturday in the early afternoon (Bono, Edge, their wives and Paul) and got together with Nicoletta in one of Luciano's favourite restaurants after the ceremony.

Yes, we're all not getting any younger, but I totally believe that their grief is showing, especially with Bono, who looked a lot different when he was in the south of France just a week ago.

The Edge without anything, not a hat or beanie and guess what:

He looks great. That's what i liked about the pop period as well, he doesnt need to wear a cap or something.

Besides that yes Bono looks very sad which is logical.

schnumi said:
The Edge without anything, not a hat or beanie and guess what:

He looks great. That's what i liked about the pop period as well, he doesnt need to wear a cap or something.

:yes: he does look great.

Besides the sadeness, which is understandable ( :hug: ), I say that Bono should loose the red shades, they DO make him look older than he is plus they make his face a lot broader. Just look at the pictures from France where he had the blue shades, or the pictures from Italy where he had the brownish ones (and was clean-shaven) or the Edge birthday party pics where he had no shades at all, he looked so much younger there. I understand he likes the Armanis, but they are not flattering to him at all.

I'm all for Bono shadeless and Edge beanie-less in the future!!!!

last unicorn said:
:yes:

It was an invitation-only ceremony, that says a lot, Bono and Edge were invited, that shows how close they really were. They were sitting in the first row, Bono next to Italian director Franco Zefirelli, all were located very close to Luciano's family.

Bono was obvioulsy very much in grief and emotional pain. The italian article says he held Ali's hand and arm all the time and they embraced while Andrea Bocelli were singing. It also said that Bono and Edge didn't want to be bothered by Italian journalists, they said: Leave us alone, the pain is too big for us to speak. I think that you can clearly see that in Bono's face.

The article also says that they flew in from Dublin via private jet on Saturday in the early afternoon (Bono, Edge, their wives and Paul) and got together with Nicoletta in one of Luciano's favourite restaurants after the ceremony.

Well done, last unicorn. I'm sorry, I didn't link to interference during the day so I didn't help you with the translation but what you've written is a very good synthesis of the article.
Many other newspaper has remarked today the presence of Bono & Co. in despite of the absence of many others who had close collaborations with the Maestro.
I appreciated this part of the article:"It was the true tribute of a son to his artistic father, the last thanks before the for evermore good-by (...) ..and during all the time of the funeral, almost before taking the Holy Communion passing by the cuffin, Bono held hand in hand with his wife, embraced her as the song of Boccelli reached unstopable picks, entrusted her to his thoughts, translated for her as Pavarotti's daughter came to greet them. An intimacy that deny all his pretended love stories. And not even a glance to prime minister Prodi, no grant to worldliness. Maybe the moments of Miss Sarajevo run by his eyes, the ballade which mixed U2's sweet and visionary shades with Pavarotti's voice.(...)"Leave me alone" he said before slipping away from Duomo's overleaf, and with tearful eyes to his bodyguards:"And now what do we have to do?"

Thanks a lot, onekea, I didn't understand every detail, interesting and emotional article. But did Bono really take the Communion, I haven't seen him doing so in the video?

It's lovely that he translated for Ali, Bono must know Italian quite well by now.
And yes, he and Ali seemed very close and intimate, they seemed like they were holding each other up, though they both must have been so sad. Wonderful couple.

Btw, Bono didn't refuse all worldliness, he talked to Kofi Annan after the ceremony, as seen on photos. It makes sense, they have known each other for a long time through their work for Africa.

Back
Top Bottom