question about meeting bono and women......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattFromNYC

War Child
ok, after talking to my sister about her wanting to get on stage with bono, or meeting him before a show, when she sees them live next month, and us discussing my previous question about the girls he takes on stage i wanted to ask this.

from personal experience... those of you who've met bono or been around him when he was meeting the fans...
lets say there was a group of ladies together who were going up to bono or he to them.. and one of them wasn't attractive at all as the others.. would bono still give her as much attention as the others or less and take the time out for her? what have you guys witnessed?

not that my sister isnt (very) attractive, LOL. or that she thinks she isnt. we were just talking about this kind of thing amongst ourselves

Last edited:
What I witnessed, Bono just gets so mobbed, hard to say whether he really "sees" anyone. I mean, I think he sees people, but with that many people calling your name, I think he sees more hands than faces.

Still wondering if the belated birthday gift I got for Adam, got to him. I gave it to Edge, told him what it was, he chuckled, as he took it, then the security guy took it from him.

i meant like, if they were not being mobbed by fans and just a regular kind of meeting. like backstage or whatever. or in front of a hotel and chatting, etc.

and not that if he'd ignore a fan just because they arent attractive or cute enough.

when bono is meeting fans outside the venue, he has to sign a LOT of autographs. he pretty much takes about 20 seconds w/ each person, signs something, says a few words, maybe takes a photo. unless there are only a few people around, he simply doesn't have the time to sit and chat with *anyone*. so everyone gets the same treatment, regardless of how they look.

why are you so focused on the attractiveness issue?

When there aren't lots of people waiting for him, he takes his time to talk to each one of the fans waiting for him. And let me tell you what a brilliant moment it is!

When he's talking to you and asking you questions, it feels like you are the only person in the whole word in that moment.

Now, if there are tons of people around, he's equally nice, but things happen faster. lol

*Ally* said:
why are you so focused on the attractiveness issue?

Yeah, no kidding.

When I met Bono, he made a VERY good effort to shake all of our hands and say something to each individual. He gave my friend Laura a kiss on the cheek. When he shook my hand, he didn't let go and grabbed my other hand, said how cold it felt, and kinda held it for a minute :drool: :combust: Now, there was a very annoying girl who wasn't even a U2 fan and she wasn't there for the DATA rally, she just keeped being pushy b/c she wanted a picture with someone famous. Bono tried to ignore her b/c he was late and said he'd come back later for pictures. We said "hey, no problem" and let him shake our hands and get a hug, but this girl only cared about getting her stupid picture so finally Bono just did it and thank God she left.

When we came back later that night (to get our pictures, like Bono said), there was a bigger mob but Bono still did his best to be patient. There was even this guy that was tagging along with us who was honestly pretty weird and looked kinda grungy and dirty, but Bono talked to him for the longest time and signed his album.

So, in my experience, looks meant nothing. What you need to know is that John Sampson is the one calling the shots. When we met Bono in the morning, John had told us exactly where to stand and wait and we MIGHT get to see Bono. So we stood completely still and silent until John said we could move and then he let us talk to Bono. At night, when there was the mob, these crazy ladies ran over and started pushing everyong, even little kids, and John grabbed Bono by the back of his coat and pulled him away.

Just keep your cool and don't let her start shrieking or anything like that and you'll be fine.

ok, well here's why im asking...

my sister and i have a good friend, whos probably a bigger U2 fan than the both of us.. and she's very self-conscious.
I see nothing wrong with her whatsover and thinks shes one of the most sweetest, most beautiful people in the world.. but she doesnt seem to think so of herself. She is very overweight though and has some acne troubles... its a hormonal thing shes been having a problem with. but shes been worried about meeting bono. she is going to see them live soon with me and my sister.... and she's been dying to meet bono but shes pretty much changing her mind, out of fear of him maybe not treating her like others.
shes been through hell in school and in regular society about this kind of a thing and she doesnt want to have the one person shes admired all of these years, who's healed all of that pain, reject her the same way or react oddly.

i may sound like an asshole asking this stuff or even mentioning it, but she wanted me or my sister to ask on here, but since ive been a member longer than my sister, i decided to ask. which was probably stupid.

i just wanted to ease her fears.

i cant see bono being odd to her at all... and i cant see why anyone would to my friend. but she, herself, personally is upset about it in her own mind, and I can actually understand what shes feeling. given that others have given her crap. or seem to be nice about it but dont always giver her equal attention.

she wanted me to post this, so it isnt like im doing it behind her back.. and well, there's the story.

Last edited:
but of course.. ive never actually ever seen a woman who wasnt attractive in my eyes. unless she was a bitch. maybe im just lady crazed, LOL. but to me everyone woman is beautiful.. in any shape or form. as long as shes sweet and her soul shines through.. then i find her beautiful and would even go for her.

now, theres beautiful women.. but have a nasty personality and are rude, fake, and just stuck on themselves, then that shines through on the outside and shades over the outer beauty and it isnt beautiful.

Hehe, it's OK Matt, your thread makes more sense now. Just tell your friend she'll be fine, she's just gotta step forward and go for it. I mean, not like knock-out-throw-down go for it, lol, but look the B-man in the eyes and say "hi" or something.

I was reading some of the posts on U2.com and it was pretty moving to say the least. Not many people in his situation would even bother to talk to fans everyday and be so cool.. and patient even to those who are being rude or pushy. Not just Bono... all of the guys in the band.

That's another main reason why I love that band so much.

I just hope our friend (and us as well) get to meet him and a chance to say thankyou .. finally, after all of these years.. and give him a big hug. That's all. Screw autographs and pics, LOL. but that would be fun too.

MattFromNYC said:
I just hope our friend (and us as well) get to meet him and a chance to say thankyou .. finally, after all of these years.. and give him a big hug. That's all. Screw autographs and pics, LOL. but that would be fun too.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Forget autographs and pictures. I never got any and I honestly don't regret it. It's very satisfying just to be able to shake Bono's hand and look him in the eye and say thank you and get a smile or a hug back.

Matt I think your such a great friend for asking for her and trying to reassure her that it will be a fun time. I often have a hard time meeting people especially men. Being self councious is such a pain in the ass. Tell her that you only live life once though and coming from one gal to another fuck what everyone else thinks. I bet she is a lovely person and hell she's a U2 fan she's got great taste. And that's an instant connection right there...She loves music and so does Bono! THey already have something incommon. lol Tell her just remember to breathe. ;)

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
Hehe, it's OK Matt, your thread makes more sense now. Just tell your friend she'll be fine, she's just gotta step forward and go for it. I mean, not like knock-out-throw-down go for it, lol, but look the B-man in the eyes and say "hi" or something.

Yup, Lies is right. Tell your friend not to be shy, to introduce herself and look at B in the eyes. And then let the man do the rest. :D

I can tell you she'll never forget it.

matt, your friend will be fine. bono would never deny a fan the opportunity to get an autograph or shake his hand based on their appearance. tell her to just act normal (on the outside, even if she's dying on the inside!), and everything will be great. i will keep my fingers crossed for you, your sister, and her friend. :)

i'm not saying, would he deny her any attention or whatever...but does he seem to give extra favoring to those "more attractive" cuter types? or seem to put in a little more time with them? in whatever situation. or however you'd wanna say it.

MattFromNYC said:
i'm not saying, would he deny her any attention or whatever...but does he seem to give extra favoring to those "more attractive" cuter types? or seem to put in a little more time with them? in whatever situation. or however you'd wanna say it.

i've never seen him do this, especially not when meeting fans outside the venue.

I'm kinda glad you asked this. I've been very timid about meeting them because I've been self-conscious in the past (getting better with age) and it's always kinda held me back from waiting around to meet them. Also, I don't want to invade their privacy. It would be nice to meet them sometime and maybe this tour will be the time. :)

Lisa71: it wont be like invading their privacy ... they come out (at least bono) to meet fans before the shows. so in that case it isnt like that.

go for it :wink:

I'll probably get slammed for saying this, oh well..but I think it's sad that your friend is concerned about that. Bono is just a guy and she doesn't need validation from him, she should just try to focus on herself and feeling better about herself from within. I've been there so I know a little bit about it.

Maybe just maybe there's too much emphasis placed upon meeting them.

good post, mrs. s :up:

however, as one who struggles w/ self-confidence issues, i can relate to what his friend is going through in general. nevertheless, it's important to work on these things and try to get past them...

matt, your friend will be fine. good luck to her! :)

Just to clarify I've always struggled w/ those issues too and I still do, but I just don't think it's all that healthy to think that you're "not attractive enough" to meet Bono. Honestly I don't think he'd want people to feel that way.

I sure hope he wouldn't favor "more attractive" people, I'd like to think he just does the best he can w/ fans and is attracted to people for other reasons.

I think it’s really nice that you show some concern for your friend. I can be so introverted that it sucks. I’ve been waiting all my life to meet him and now that I know I’ll be close and will probably have that chance I don’t think I can do it. I think that I really won’t do it. But I guess I’d change my mind, if there was someone close who would encourage me.
If you can make her change her mind, she will thank you for it. ;)

Hi there,

In a world where many are judged by their looks, your friend's fears are justified. Mix a bit of incontrollable, hormone induced excess weight and acne, and you've got quite a recipe for an inferiority complex. I know because I've been going through this for many moons. Eye contact was unknown to me. As I've gotten older (and hopefully wiser) I've learned to overcome these fears and become a bit more confident.

I completely understand her fear of approaching Bono- someone who is known for being considerate and sweet to of all his fans. I can imagine how devastating it would be should he treat her a bit differently.

I hope your friend will soon realize that her image of herself is harsher than what others see.

Of course, I cannot guarantee what will happen when she meets Bono. But from what I've seen and heard, he is one of the most generous and caring men that I've ever heard of. I sincerely feel that he will give your friend the attention she deserves as a loyal fan, should the chance come up.

Tell her to keep her head up, smile brightly and meet his gaze. Eyes and smiles are so important and a person's beautiful soul shines through. :hug:

beautiful post, sweetie! :up:

and LostAtMoon, i hope that you do try to meet bono, if it really means a lot to you... if i could talk to you, i would definitely encourage it. :)

Matt - Your sister and friend should join us - they'd have a blast here...as well as meet some really nice people :) :)

A few years ago, I was lucky enough to get backstage at a U2 show - the place was buzzing with lots of people....and then there's me kinda standing there eyeballing some beer that probably belonged to the band. The guys walked by and I...along with several others....shook their hands..that was it. I though ok whatever...did somebody say Keanu was here????

I was a huge fan then but now it's a higher level and I'm sure I'd be "nervous" around Bono but it wouldn't keep me from jumping...errr....approaching him. Then again, I'm usually with a date at these events which means I have to be on my "best behavior" anyway.

Happy "U2-ing"..... :)

Back
Top Bottom