Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i think they all act differently depending on the circumstances! for example, i "met" edge before the 6/11 philly show last spring, and he was really quiet (and seemed a bit nervous)- i think that's the way he acts before a show, because he's such a perfectionist.
wink.gif
however, i know people who have met him AFTER shows, and they say that he is much more laid back and talkative.

i've "met" larry on 2 occassions, both times after shows on the Elevation tour. he was very nice- much nicer than i thought he'd be! (cuz he seems a little snarly- lol!) both times i saw him he was very polite, signed things for everyone, laughed and even made some jokes! big cheer for larry!

i *finally* got to see bono in person this past monday at the bruce/frank barsalona tribute in NYC. to tell the truth, he seemed a little shell-shocked- there were lots of RUDE paparrazi around, and he's not in "tour mode" so perhaps he wasn't expecting to see lots of fans waiting for him. but he did sign autographs- unfortuantely, he didn't really talk to anyone (except my friend harlequinn, who he has a crush on, hee hee!). i've heard stories, though, where bono is *very* talkative with the fans, i guess he just wasn't in the mood on monday night.
smile.gif

i have yet to "meet" adam (my personal fave of the four), but i am HOPING to one day have the chance to.... *sigh*

hope that answers your question! like i said at the start, i think the guys act differently towards the fans depending on the circumstances in which they "meet" them.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by spinninghead77:
Bono has a crush on your friend??? Please give more details on that!!!!

lol... well, i don't know if i'd call it a crush, but he *definitely* likes her. she went to a bunch of shows on this tour, and always got a lot of bono attention. he bit her hand on numerous occasions during UTEOTW and "the fly", and he pulled her up to dance with him during "bad". also, when she met him in "real life" for the first time, he went up to her and kissed her hand. she then got a *beautiful* photo of him kissing her on the cheek.

so, yeah, bono has a "thing" for my friend! but don't be jealous, because she is the SWEETEST girl in the world- completely deserving of the b-man's affections, i promise!
biggrin.gif

Lucky Girl!! Thanks for your speedy reply
biggrin.gif

------------------
***Spinny***
"OH, SINNY- er,um- SPINNY!" (freudian slip?)-JulyFly

"Here I go and I don't know why
I spin so ceaselessly
Could it be he's taken over me????
"

I 'met' Larry first. He came out after the show and smiled, did autoraphs and allowed pictures. I had brought extra Sharpie pens for this monumental occasion and he used one to sign my tour book, then needed to use it for others because no one had one. I told him to keep it, it was ok I had more and he smiled at me and said, "No - I'll be sure to get it back to you." When he finished he came back over and handed it to me.

Then Adam came over and he also did pics, autographs and talked. He signed my book and stood for a photo - then I thanked him and he said "No problem" as he moved away - and I called, "No, I meant thank you for 20 years of great music, concerts and the soundtrack of my life." He came back over and said, "That was really nice. Thank you" and he took my hand. <gush>

Then Bono was there! He didn't sign autographs but smiled and spoke with people around me. I asked for a picture, real quick and he threw his arm over my shoulder and did a little hug thing. He was in a hurry because Ali was waiting in the car and she was almost 8 months pregnant then. Very sweet of him to take the time.

Finally, Edge was out there and he was really relaxed and jovial. He did pictures, answered questions and signed stuff. I got my picture, then I took pictures for a group of fans and Edge was kind enough to point out that I was probably too close to get everyone and I should move back and take another shot.

The one thing that struck me was how casual it was and everyone there [about 25 of us fans] was real cool and the band stood around and talked - except Bono who hurried off with Ali - for a while. Even the bodyguards were nice.

It was all that a fan encounter could be in a professional way with out being too intrusive or crazy. I've met other famous people in groups and there was way too much screaming involved.

U2 fans are the best. I met some great people at these concerts.

------------------
Mone

You ain't nothin without a rhythm section.

"Who's to say what it is will break you."

"What Adam does with his willy is his business..." -Bono

[This message has been edited by YellowKite (edited 03-14-2002).]

Then Adam came over and he also did pics, autographs and talked. He signed my book and stood for a photo - then I thanked him and he said "No problem" as he moved away - and I called, "No, I meant thank you for 20 years of great music, concerts and the soundtrack of my life." He came back over and said, "That was really nice. Thank you" and he took my hand. <gush>
[/B]

How sweet...I LOVE him!

But I'm slightly seething with jealousy.
smile.gif

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

*sigh* I have yet to see a U2 member in person....and that includes in concert....
frown.gif

------------------
Every question possesses a power that does not lie in the answer.

ARGH!!! another love-hate thread!!! i love hearing these stories and i hate that i don't have one.

closest i've been is living vicariously thru my husband who met bono and larry before baltimore. i stayed to hold our place in line *SIGH* and they got their shirts signed and talked a bit about slane.

JEALOUS? ME??

you betcha.

------------------
***ALOTWU***

Originally posted by elizabeth:
ARGH!!! another love-hate thread!!! i love hearing these stories and i hate that i don't have one.

closest i've been is living vicariously thru my husband who met bono and larry before baltimore. i stayed to hold our place in line *SIGH* and they got their shirts signed and talked a bit about slane.

JEALOUS? ME??

you betcha.

i am jealous too. gah, i want to have one of these encounters!
frown.gif

Well, let's see.... my encounters....

I met Larry first, back in April at the first Anaheim, California show. I had never intended to wait for any of them after the show. It's not that I'm not that big of a fan or whatever, it just never entered my mind to try and meet anyone after a concert whenever I went. It was always "go to the concert, enjoy it, then make like a bat out of hell for the parking lot because everybody and their mother were right on our heels..."

After the first Anaheim show, I went to Denny's with my best friend, her boyfriend, and some loser dude who never paid for his ticket. It was already about midnight or so when we decided to go home. We came in seperate cars, so I hopped in my truck and drove to the freeway entrance. There, calling me at the next light, was the turn lane to go back to the Pond. I thought, what could it hurt?

So, I drove over there, parked, and not ten minutes later, Larry comes out. I was in freakin' awe. I had never in my entire life met anyone famous or had anyone famous standing that close to me. And, the fact that he was the drummer for my favorite band.... well, let's just say it was hard to get any words out.
biggrin.gif

Speaking of Larry cracking jokes....

There was this drunk guy weaving back and forth next to me, singing One Tree Hill (a fellow from New Zealand had brought up the fact the tree had just been torn down). Larry looked over at him (be still my shaking knees... he's looking over in my general direction EGADS) and said to the off-key singer, "what do you do for a living?"

The guy continued to sing, oblivious to the fact that *the* DRUMMER from U2 just spoke to him. Larry asked him again, "no, what do you do for a job?"

The guy was so enebriated, he didn't realize Larry had just asked him a question... twice. I think by this time, Larry was a bit exasperated with him and said, "well, don't quit your day job."

The drunk guy finally figured it out that Larry just spoke to him and stopped weaving. He then said, "I love you, man" and made a step forward to give Larry a big ol' hug and Larry's scary bodyguard dude Dave (I think that's his name?) was going to knock him down, but Larry stopped him first. He put up his hand and said in a very forceful voice: "no, I'm through with you." The guy weaved away... probably to go throw up in a bush somewhere. Blech.

I was so embarrassed. Still, he signed my program, my shirt, and he also took a picture with me. He asked us if we were all happy, and then left.

Meeting Edge was a bit surreal... I had been on a caffeine-and-adrenaline-induced high for two days and was barely able to stand up straight when he came out to sign at 2:00 in the morning. He was very nice - signed everybody's stuff and even took a few pictures.

What someone else said: it truly does feel very confortable and casual when you meet them. I haven't met Bono, but I shook Adam's hand after the concert in Vegas. And, I made him laugh when I held up my sign.
biggrin.gif

Moonie
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by meegannie:
How sweet...I LOVE him!

But I'm slightly seething with jealousy.
smile.gif

It makes me smile every time I think about it. I can have the worst day and I recall how sweet they were and it makes it all ok.
biggrinlove.gif

I have no idea how I managed to be articulate enough to gush honors all over him, but it must not have sounded as pitiful [or maybe it did
biggrin.gif
] because he seemed genuinely appreciative.
blush.gif

------------------
Mone

You ain't nothin without a rhythm section.

"Who's to say what it is will break you."

"What Adam does with his willy is his business..." -Bono

gone_to_the_discotheque welcome at PLEBA!

Well, what I recognized when I got the chance to meet Bono (two days after their Berlin show) was Bono?s amazingly relaxed and calm behaviour. The whole situation seemed to be kind of surrealistic. There was a crowd of fans that was very disciplined, something I really appreciated. I guess, Bono felt comfortably so that many got autographs.
I was so lucky when Bono made a nice portrait of me (drawing) and embellished my t-shirt by drawing his fly shades on it.
(sorry, no proof my scanner still doesn't like me)

I?m the tallest on the far right of that pic. La,la,la Big Girls Are Best?
photos
"]http://www.u2tour.de/photos/?id=230[/img][/url]

I have no idea how I managed to be articulate enough to gush honors all over him, but it must not have sounded as pitiful [or maybe it did
biggrin.gif
] because he seemed genuinely appreciative.
blush.gif
[/B]

This would have been my encounter:

*Adam approaches*
meegannie: Aaaaddaaaammmm....eeiiiieaaaeiiiuuuurrggghhh....
Ballyhoo946Fainting.jpg

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ I?m not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobody?s around"--Starsailor

wtf??? scarlet darling, are you feeling quite well???

(and whoever took this photo knows a helluva lot about GWTW. They even knew that the tarleton twins had their hair dyed carrot orange!! amazing!!)

------------------
***ALOTWU***

Originally posted by elizabeth:
wtf??? scarlet darling, are you feeling quite well???

(and whoever took this photo knows a helluva lot about GWTW. They even knew that the tarleton twins had their hair dyed carrot orange!! amazing!!)

I love GWTW. And she's wearing my favorite dress (well, sort of) Vivian Leigh's was much nicer.

------------------
Lightning flashes across the sky
East to west, do or die
Like a thief in the night
See the world by candlelight.

Back
Top Bottom