President Bush pledging $500MM for HIV-Aids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramblin rose

Site Team
Staff member
He's right now on CNN with Treasury Secretary O'Neill.
It's looks like making our opinions known works.

Yeah.

Only 500 million?

Pocket change?

I mean think about it...Africa has some 30 odd countries...that is about $15 million for each nation/state...it takes more than that to build one decent hospital...then how would they pay for supplies...

I feel like this was just a slap in the face for aid...

I know that 500 million is better than nothing, but once you break it down...it really is next to nothing...

Fishy <><

an excerpt from a new story...

Anticipating such an announcement from the president, Senate Republicans recently scaled back the amount of money they were seeking to fight AIDS abroad in an anti-terrorism bill. After lobbying from the White House, the final Senate bill included $200 million in anti-AIDS spending instead of $500 million.

Bush has already requested nearly $900 million for the worldwide AIDS fight for the fiscal year beginning Oct. 1. This year's total is more than $750 million, not including the $200 million in the anti-terror bill.

The president's proposal would include the $200 million, which, if approved, would be spent this year. The remaining $300 million would be spent "over the next few years," a Bush official said. All of it would be targeted to preventing mothers from passing the disease on to their babies.

Thanks for posting that Sula. It could be a lot more, but at least they are helping that clinic that treats pregnant ladies so it doesn't spread to their babies. Bono taking him there did touch him and do some good. What that clinic does is a miracle. I never knew such treatment was possible. Bless them.

Attachments

• mouth.jpg
    mouth.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 70
This makes me so angry. I am glad they are going to focus the money on preventing the spread of the disease, but what about nations who don't have decent clinics to begin with? I know everyone who poured their hearts and time into this campaign must be so disappointed. The amount of money really is pathetic.

Fishy <><

Damn! As we say in my neck of the woods, this is peanuts. We've got to keep those letters to the President and Congress going. This makes me mad!:madspit: :madspit: It's better than nothing but this isn't going to get our share of the job done. :madspit:

I just took another look at the story on MSNBC--at the site, not on TV. Bush did say more funding could follow this "initial effort" or something to that effect. In other words, hopefully this isn't all, folks. Keep your fingers crossed and those letters going!

verte76 said:
Bush did say more funding could follow this "initial effort" or something to that effect. In other words, hopefully this isn't all, folks. Keep your fingers crossed and those letters going!

In other words...

BUSH: Will this get you to shut up and quit buggin' me?

Raise your hand if you think more funds will follow...

*looks around*

*doesn't see any hands*

*snarl*

*kicks congress*

The Feesh <><

FishNeedsABicycle said:

In other words...

*looks around*

*doesn't see any hands*

*snarl*

*kicks congress*

The Feesh <><

Yes, well it just means we have to send more letters, more emails, and make more phone calls.

And he thought Bono was a pest :mac:

The only way to get change is to put various sorts of pressures on the politicians! For our part that's write to Congress, our MP's, or whoever! I know Bono is going to raise hell at the G8 meeting!

let's do a little fact recall here:

clinton was much better for this stuff than bush is. (course, clinton NEVER had an america like this one...so there's really not an easy comparison).

*pulls out t-shirt o'facts*

in 1998 the total debt that was owed to the us was $376 BILLION, of that $300 billion was considered unpayable, $111 billion was pledged to be cancelled, $90.1 billion was actually expected to be cancelled. of that, only $11.9 billion was dropped.

that's from jubilee 2000. point being, yes, $11.9 is a lot, but look at what was pledged.

sooooo, this $500 million doesn't get me too excited. it's a first offer, meaning we need not give up! keep writing letters and making phone calls. this is SO important, we need to keep looking out for each other, and this is a great way to do it. america has the money to do it...so let's go for it!

i just wanted to add a few more quotes from my t-shirt o'facts.

• the cost of providing basic healthcare and nutrition for the 52 jubilee countries would be lass than is spent on dog food in the us and europe combined.
  • spread over 20 years, the cost of cancelling the debts of the 52 jubilee 2000 countries is one penny a day per person in the industrialized world.
  • (this one makes me cry) if debt had been cancelled in 1997 for 20 of the poorest countries, the money released for basic healthcare would have saved the equivalent of 20 MILLION children by the year 2000, the equivalent of 19,000 a DAY .

Lilly said:
i just wanted to add a few more quotes from my t-shirt o'facts.

• the cost of providing basic healthcare and nutrition for the 52 jubilee countries would be lass than is spent on dog food in the us and europe combined.
  • spread over 20 years, the cost of cancelling the debts of the 52 jubilee 2000 countries is one penny a day per person in the industrialized world.
  • (this one makes me cry) if debt had been cancelled in 1997 for 20 of the poorest countries, the money released for basic healthcare would have saved the equivalent of 20 MILLION children by the year 2000, the equivalent of 19,000 a DAY .

Damn! I wish these idiots would stop dragging their feet on this stuff!

daisybean said:

Yes, well it just means we have to send more letters, more emails, and make more phone calls.

And he thought Bono was a pest :mac:

I was just going to say the same thing! Look out! Bono's Angels will never give up! Right Sherry Darling?

Thanks for the update verte. That does give us hope.

FishNeedsABicycle said:

In other words...

*looks around*

*doesn't see any hands*

*snarl*

*kicks congress*

The Feesh <><

To answer Bush's question............NO! We're going to raise some serious hell and of course your, uh, Pest isn't going away!!! :no: :no: :no:

I think that Bush needs to give or get more money for the AIDS CRISIS! Aids affects the whole world we need to do something about it for EVERYONE not just the people in Africa. My sister is a medical researcher for a college in Texas, she told me that countries try to be the first one to find the cures for diseases and that if say that China found the cure for Aids then they would get a bunch of money for it. I don't think that is right! They need to find the cure and share it with everyone whether or not the country has the money to pay for it.

adamswildhoney said:
I think that Bush needs to give or get more money for the AIDS CRISIS! Aids affects the whole world we need to do something about it for EVERYONE not just the people in Africa. My sister is a medical researcher for a college in Texas, she told me that countries try to be the first one to find the cures for diseases and that if say that China found the cure for Aids then they would get a bunch of money for it. I don't think that is right! They need to find the cure and share it with everyone whether or not the country has the money to pay for it.

I agree, but the reason the focus is on Africa right now is that they have 95% of the AIDS cases in the world. We have it here in the U.S. (I've lost friends to AIDS myself) but it's not the pandemic it is in Africa. Other countries where it's close to crisis proportions are Thailand, India, and it's reportedly also getting nasty in China, funny that you mention China. There's not a cure, but they can slow down the disease process with antiretrovirals. That's what's saving some lives in Africa and elsewhere but not enough! The situation in Africa is akin to the situation with the Black Death in the middle of the fourteenth century in Europe. That wiped out a third, or maybe half, we don't have any cold, hard stats, of Europe within a matter of two or three years because it spread like crazy and of course then they didn't have antibiotics (the plague was bacteria-caused, not viral). In Botswana, 40% of the population is HIV-positive. So number-wise it's just about as nightmarish as the Black Death. I agree that AIDS all over should be the target of a massive health campaign, but the reason for the focus on Africa is numbers.

ITA, I don't understand why Bush is being so freakin cheap, what else is the Government putting money into? It doesn't look like Education or Health Care. Bono's my HERO!!!!! I don't know how Bono can ever tolerate these idiotic politicians. God bless him, he seems to be the ONLY celeb who cares and Edge and Bob Geldof of course

the_fly2002 said:
ITA, I don't understand why Bush is being so freakin cheap, what else is the Government putting money into? It doesn't look like Education or Health Care. Bono's my HERO!!!!! I don't know how Bono can ever tolerate these idiotic politicians. God bless him, he seems to be the ONLY celeb who cares and Edge and Bob Geldof of course

There are various and sundry reasons why Bush is being cheap. In a word, it's politics. I don't see how Bono puts up with these people, either. He and Geldof and Co. have more patience than I ever will. I can only write irate letters. :lol: :lol: This is exasperating. :madspit: :madspit:

Back
Top Bottom