Prayers needed... For BonosBaby12

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The power of :pray: and warm thoughts truly do work wonders. I get to bring good news today! :happy: Went to visit my father earlier and he was very alert. The oxygen mask was off too and he seemed to be doing fine without it. While visiting they brought his lunch in and he ate all of it. First time he has truly eaten anything at all since Saturday night :ohmy: Have no clue how he went from being so close to death to now this!

While we were gone the primary doctor called for my mom. Wants to discuss my father's situation with her. Hopefully he has more good news to tell us. As soon as I find out what he has to say I will let all of you know.

I really wish I could truly express just how grateful I am for each and everyone of you. Am so touched beyond words right now.... :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

While I was there the on call doctor from the other night came in. The look on his face when he saw my dad was just PRICELESS! He was shocked as hell to discover what a complete turnabout that my dad had done. When talking to this doctor you know he is not one to push buttons. He is not the type to give out the prognosis that he did unless he was absolutely sure. In fact he said that yesterday the liver was worst than it had been Monday night. Now that seems to be clearing up however his kidney is still in the danger zone.

All goes well than my father will be moved into the intermediate ward later on today. First they want to put the oxygen mask back on for a little bit to raise his oxygen back up. For some reason it was down lower thanit should be. The doctor wants it higher before making any attempts to move my father.

:hug: Shannon, that is such good news to hear your Dad is having a better day! It's amazing how much strength you gain by seeing your loved one looking better. Lets hope that he continues this upward trend and there is good news from the primary doctor.

And remember, what goes around, comes around.....you're a beautiful person too Shannon and you truly do get back as much as you give.

gluey said:
:hug: Shannon, that is such good news to hear your Dad is having a better day! It's amazing how much strength you gain by seeing your loved one looking better. Lets hope that he continues this upward trend and there is good news from the primary doctor.

And remember, what goes around, comes around.....you're a beautiful person too Shannon and you truly do get back as much as you give.

When I read this it made me cry but it was a good cry! Just so incredibly touched that I honestly don't know what to say :hug: My mom always raised my siblings and I to be respectful and caring towards others.

My mom finally had a chance to talk with the primary doctor yesterday evening. He has been keeping up with my dad's daily test results. It's appearing that somewhere along the line my dad suffered another heart attack :(. One of the tests is showing enzymes that are put out when a heart attack has occurred. When this happened we have no clue at all! But the primary doctor is in agreement with the on call doctor from Monday night. He doesn't believe that my dad is going to pull out of it this time :sigh: Said that there is more damage to the heart and it's just too much to fight. Did say that my dad is a miracle man and that he's pulled it off before. If by some chance he does it this time around he will not be the same. The quality of life has diminished so much. We really weren't expecting to hear this at all! Seeing the way my dad was yesterday gave us so much hope. I just don't know what to even think right now......

Thank you everyone :hug: Know you have enough going on with your personal lives. Yet all of you always have the time to see how everything is going. Truly appreciate it I really do :hug:

As of yesterday my dad developed a Staph infection. Since it's highly contagious they have him in a private room. Whoever enters the room must first put on a gown and gloves. Also yesterday wasn't a good day for him. He was too weak to walk when physical therapy came. So they tried to sit him up on the side of the bed but that was just too much. Whenever he talked he would slur his words. Saw the heart doctor while there and he's remaining cautious. Usually he will say "You are doing great!". Yesterday he was saying "You are a fighter" but we could pick up on the change in his tone.

The good news is that they moved my dad out of ICU on Monday night. He ate most of his breakfast yesterday too. Going over there in a little bit so hopefully he's doing better today.

You're going through a horrible time BB12 and my heart goes out to you. Just try to take one day at a time and try to smile for your dad when you're with him even if you don't feel like it. I'm sure he'll feel better to see you that way.

And don't forget, we're all here. You can come along any time and write all your feelings down. Even if they're negative, angry, emotional whatever. It'll help you in some small way, I'm sure.

Take a deep breath and try make your way through it...:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

BonosBaby12 said:
Thank you everyone :hug: Know you have enough going on with your personal lives. Yet all of you always have the time to see how everything is going. Truly appreciate it I really do :hug:

As of yesterday my dad developed a Staph infection. Since it's highly contagious they have him in a private room. Whoever enters the room must first put on a gown and gloves. Also yesterday wasn't a good day for him. He was too weak to walk when physical therapy came. So they tried to sit him up on the side of the bed but that was just too much. Whenever he talked he would slur his words. Saw the heart doctor while there and he's remaining cautious. Usually he will say "You are doing great!". Yesterday he was saying "You are a fighter" but we could pick up on the change in his tone.

The good news is that they moved my dad out of ICU on Monday night. He ate most of his breakfast yesterday too. Going over there in a little bit so hopefully he's doing better today.

:(
Shannon, I know this must be tough, but thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us. We're thinking of you. I hope that the infection doesn't last for too long so that you can give him a big hug. I'm sure you both will enjoy that. :hug:

BonosBaby12 said:

I'm so sorry to hear this. :( Thinking of you and your family at this difficult time. :hug: and :pray:

unico said:

:(
Shannon, I know this must be tough, but thank you so much for taking the time to share this with us. We're thinking of you. I hope that the infection doesn't last for too long so that you can give him a big hug. I'm sure you both will enjoy that. :hug:

Really is no problem at all it's so very thoughtful with how everyone has cared so much :hug: Could never express the love I feel for each and everyone of you :hug:

The roller coaster ride continues on! All signs of the infection are gone and the antibiotics have been discontinued. The kidney has even improved and the oxygen level has stabilized. If my dad can keep up this pace of progress than he could be home in a few days. Otherwise he will be in there longer and go through rehab first. My dad wants to be able to walk on his own when he comes home. Doctor wants to continue to take everything one day at a time. As the doctor put it yesterday about my dad "He is like a cat with 9 lives". Just no other way to describe it. Was not expected to make it through Monday night let alone this week. My family and I are just completely flabbergasted by it all!

Despite this great news I still can't help but being on the cautious side myself. Seems like whenever we are able to breathe a sigh of relief something else comes along. Trying very hard to be positive and keep in mind that my dad really is a fighter. However this situation is extremely draining both emotionally and physically. It is a constant toying of emotions all around.

:hug: Awesome news about the infection Shannon! Your Dad has an amazing will and spirit to get through everything the way that he does. Your family will be feeding him with your strength - he's a lucky man to have you all. Just enjoy each good day and do whatever it takes to get through the bad. Don't worry about tomorrow or you could lose precious time with today.
Keep us posted! :hug:

Really needed those hug's right now thank you :hug: :hug:

They moved my dad to a different floor of the hospital today. Said that he didn't need the kind of care anymore that he was receiving on the 2nd floor. Makes no sense to me since we found out tonight that his kidney's are back to not working again. My dad told us this since his doctor never bothered mentioning anything about it. When my mom spoke to the doctor earlier he was saying that my dad was contuining to get better. Also found out that the oxygen level is once again going up and down. As for his appetite he will eat a little bit than feel like he's not hungry all over again.

The good news is that the nurses seem more competent and friendlier on this floor! Last night as we were visiting my dad started becoming short of breath. My mom told 2 different nurses and each one said ok. We were there for at least another half hour after they were told and they never did do anything :mad: In fact as we were leaving later we saw them just standing around the nurse's station talking. It is stuff like that which truly pisses me off!

Oh and I have been taking your advice Gluey. Have been focusing on the good things. Usually we talk about baseball or just what the grandchildren have been into. Sometimes he perks right up with this kind of conversation. Other times he wants to talk about how he's feeling. Told him to just take it one day at a time and not to rush anything.

On a much happier note we always have a request to bring a milkshake back the following day,lol. No doubt that my dad loves his ice cream! lol

4-2.gif
4-2.gif
4-2.gif

That is so wrong with what your aunt is going through Wild :hug: Really would be nice if everyone's stories actually clicked together! It's like some of these nurses and doctor's just forget that patients and their families are real people! Not saying this about all because I have encountered some decent ones. Wish I could say that has been lately....

Between yesterday and today my dad developed 6lbs of fluid :ohmy: Just about fell over when the respiratory therapist told us that! He even had the catheter in yesterday too they didn't remove it till today. Thankfully he went twice on his own since it's been removed. But his feet and ankles are VERY swollen. Never has swelling ever been an issue with my dad before. To complicate the problem they left him sitting up in a chair for 9 hours straight :tsk: The look on his face once he got back in bed and his feet propped up was pure bliss! The nurses knew better than to let him go for that long in the chair with his feet swollen like that. For crying out loud their station is right across from his room! Yet there they were right out there just talking and laughing. Sorry don't mean to be a bitch that just didn't sit well with me at all. The one that eventually came into the room was nice enough but my mom and I were quite irritated with the lack of care for so long.

Meanwhile the doctor continues to give the same story that my dad is progressing along well. Yeah seeing tests results come back is good and all. But you really do have to look at what is right in front of you. Wish I were lying when I say that each day I just see another step taken backward. This is reinforced for all when our own father states that he's just not getting better.

This picture was taken last week and though he's wearing a mask this was one of my dad's good days. Yes the cup does contain the infamous milkshake :)

IMG_00041.jpg

Shannon :hug: I can feel the love between you and your Dad, just looking at the photo.

I think that regardless of what doctors say, no one knows the patient better than their family. Between your 'gut instinct' and the condition you see your Dad in each day, I honestly think you would be able to give a 'truer' indication of whether he is improving or not. Damn those nurses! :madspit: It's disgusting that they let him sit there for 9hrs! I hope you complained to them! Keep focusing on the here and now and just enjoy being with your Dad. Try not to worry too much about tomorrow and what it may bring. You know we're here for you. :hug:

Shannon, thanks for being so strong for sharing the picture... I'm still thinking of you, and praying that your father is in good spirits and isn't in a lot of pain :heart: :pray: You have a PM as well :)

We're all here for you :hug: :hug:

My mom received the call today that in a way we knew was coming soon. The doctor officially announced that there truly is nothing at all that they can do for my dad now. It is time to place him in hospice care. So tomorrow my mom is meeting with hospice to go over the details. What I am understanding is that my mom will make the decision to stop giving my father medicine. He will continue to receive the oxygen that he needs. This will have to be done at the hospital since he could not receive the correct amount at home.

My dad was informed of everything earlier and it was a really hard conversation to endure. He took the news quietly and agreed to the hospice. Even as I write this Im still not really able to believe it myself. Knew that this time would come but personally I feel it has come way too damn fast. However I do want my dad at peace. He's fought a long tough battle and beat the odds when they were stacked against him. Now is the time to make him as comfortable and at peace that he can possibly be.

:hug: Shannon :hug: I wish I knew what to say, but there is nothing I can say other than we are all here for you. I do understand what you, your Dad and family are facing having been there too. Make the most of your precious time with your Dad. :hug:

Back
Top Bottom