Posh & Becks....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, and by the way - you are likely to see more worms come out after giving the medication :yuck:

Becks may have been dewormed, but sometimes they need it done twice to totally clear the infection - we always recheck stool samples a few weeks after treatment.

Ew. Beth, should I feed him if he's going to keep barfing anyway? Posh has an appointment for a distemper booster on Sept. 24 so I'm going to bring stool samples along. Tomorrow my mom is taking me to the vet to pick up the meds. I hope the cats like med- I mean chicken :winkwink:

I would not buy dewormer at Walmart, sorry :| You want to be safe, and get them from the vet.

Posh should have been thoroughly checked out and dewormed before bringing her into your house and letting her interact already with Becks.

They both need to be on flea medication (Advantage) as well so that they dont get worms again in the future.

I have never seen a cat barf from worms, unless its a really bad case. I wish you would bring him into the vet. He can get dehydrated quickly. You can check if a cat is dehydrated by lifting up the scruff of the neck. If it falls back into place quickly, they're ok.. if it stays up longer than a few seconds they are dehydrated. And it could be another problem not just worms. If he continues to vomit tonite I would definately bring him in. Take the food away for a few hours, let them have water for now.

Hope he feels better soon, Posh is a cutie.

You did actually see him vomit up the worms, right?

It wouldn't be a bad idea to hold off on his food for the night, leave water out for him though. Make sure you get the medication for him tomorrow, and if he doesn't perk up within another 24 hours it would be best to have him checked out, sooner if he seems dehydrated like Sicy described.

It's the most common type of worm that he has, although people don't usually see them. They usually swallow them before actually vomiting them out. That's good that they are giving you medication for Posh too :yes:

I'm getting it form the vet, I called them as soon as I saw he was sick. I know it's roundworm b/c I saw the worms. At first I though he'd choked on a tiny rubber band, but then I saw them crawl. Posh WAS dewormed and hasn't shown any symptoms, but she will also be taking the medication since she has interacted with Becks (they have their own stuff, but have been eating from each others bowls). There's no way he could've gotten it from her, but she may have already picked it up from him. Becks actually barfed Sunday night, but it was just clear foamy phlegm. I thought he maybe coughed or briefly choked b/c the vet told me he has a special tongue that makes it more likely for him to choke. But then I saw the barf from today and there was worms in it. I first looked online and it said roundworm. Then I called the vet and they said roundworm. They don't need to see either cat, I just have to know their ages and weights (which I do). Both cats have to take meds, then when Posh goes in for her scheduled shot, they'll test the stool samples and maybe re-medicate. I'm glad it's only worms and not something serious.

I'm not sure how roundworm works, but it may have been going around in the lab after Becks was first tested b/c the lady who got a cat with me also had to re-deworm her cat recently.

Last edited:
bonosloveslave said:
You did actually see him vomit up the worms, right?

:yes: I walked in and there was two little barfs on the floor. I think he barfed right before I came in b/c he started eating again. I looked at it and saw two white skinny things like two inches each. At first I thought he ate some Ramen, then I thought it was a rubber band, then they started to wiggle. I picked them up with a tweezer, put them in an envelop, and trashed them. I don't have any carpet cleaner so I scrubbed the barf with dish soap.

Becks is pretty much his usual self besides meowing at me for more food. We're going to get the pills at 9:30 tomorrow.

EDIT: I also trashed his food, Poshie's food, replaced the water dishes, scrubbed the food trays with bleach, dumped all of the litter, vacuumed, cleaned my room, etc, etc :D

Last edited:
Wowza! Roundworm eh! :yuck: Usually they get tapeworms, which is the most common. Zoey actually got them before, even though she is an indoor cat so I have been treating both cats with Advantage ever since then to keep fleas away. Glad you know for sure what it is so you will get the right medication. Poor Becks, he must be feeling so crummy. Give him some hugs and scritches for me :hug:

That's interesting what you said about Becks tongue. Saki coughs and chokes every once in a while maybe once every two weeks, and will throw up a bit after coughing.. I wonder if he has the same tongue thing, because then he's just fine and continues about his business. I also wondered if he had a smaller airway passage or something (maybe why he hacks). Because when he yawns he makes this weird noise that just sounds like he has a small airway lol.

I'm surprised you didnt keep them separated for longer, but I'm glad they seem to be getting along. They will probably grow up to love each other since they are still young. Zoey tolerates Saki but I think she does like to play tag and wrestling with him. He bugs her alll the time though.. little rascal.

Sicy said:

That's interesting what you said about Becks tongue. Saki coughs and chokes every once in a while maybe once every two weeks, and will throw up a bit after coughing.. I wonder if he has the same tongue thing, because then he's just fine and continues about his business. I also wondered if he had a smaller airway passage or something (maybe why he hacks). Because when he yawns he makes this weird noise that just sounds like he has a small airway lol.

They're still seperated actually. They're really only together when Becks escapes and I let them play until one is sick of it. Last night Poshie slept with me since I've seen her like 15 minutes a day since I got her (she's really warmed up to everyone else though). The vet said Becks can curl his tongue back into his throat or something. At first I thought she was kidding when she said his tongue was special. She pried his mouth open and his tongue was back. She said if he ever is choking to first check and see if something is stuck to his tongue and going down his throat :shrug: Honestly I think Beckham is more concerned b/c I'm not feeding him than he is about being sick!

Their bowls are in the dish washer. Actually, they just use whatever bowls we have and I switch them every few days, I don't have cat bowls or anything like that. I'm not so dumb that I'd let my cats eat bleach, lol.

Last edited:
That's cool. Good to use glass or ceramic too (I see you do) because plastic collects bacteria.

I wasnt sure what you meant by food trays..

haha I stole those dishes from the dining hall before I moved off-campus. Anyway, enough about those gross worms.

brownmouse.JPG

OK, this pic sucks, but it's actualy Posh INSIDE my bed! Becks did the same thing, but he's too big now - jumping around inside the box spring.
bed.JPG

Sicy said:

I wasnt sure what you meant by food trays..

Oh, see those plastic blue things? I put them under the food and water dished b/c Posh spills water and Becks scoops al of his food piece by piece out of the bowl before eating it. It just keep the moisture and smell from getting in the carpet.

Yeah I see what you're talking about now! I have the same type of thing too since they are so messy... hehe.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
The vet I go to said it would be less than $10 to treat both cats so I might as well go there since they've already filled the perscription. That's why I like the place, they're really fast and cheap, but not ghetto cheap and filthy.

You're very lucky. I used to have a vet like that, if you'd already discussed things with him, you could just call him up and he'd let you come pick up the medicine and only pay for that. But unfortunately he's changed and is now like all the rest. No matter what it is, even if it's something that they had before and came back and you KNOW what it is, they're like 'he'll have to be seen!' :rolleyes: and 'seen' means another $30 office visit bill, then they insist on this and that test while you're there, maybe a shot, make you feeel guilty as hell if you don't do all this stuff. I can't walk out of a vet's office with less than a $100 bill, maybe $70 on my lucky day. I love my cats but I don't think it's always necessary to 'be seen' and I can't always afford it. Plus it's a lot of time to sit there with kids and an animal, and other animals in there growling. They never take you in for at least an hour or more. I dread it. Oh and the human dr.'s are like that too. I used to be able to just call up and say my kid has the same thing as before, or one kid caught exactly what the other kid was just seen for, and they'd call me in the medication without the office visit, but they too are now of the 'be seen' mode. :sigh: So now I don't even take my kids to the dr. for a cold unless it turns green and I know they need antibiotics. And I'd have to be half dead to drag myself to the dr.It's not just the money, it's the time. You can never get in and out of a doctor or vet office, it takes at least 2 hours. If y'all's doctors and vets are not like this, well, you're lucky!:)

Take care, Becks!

:hug:

Last edited:
That sucks. Yeah, my boss told me about this place. It's in a different city/town, but so much cheaper and straight forward. I just tell them what I need. I mean, I saw the worms myself and have HAD worms myself, not to mention been raising animals since I was 4 so I think I know what's going on! This morning I got both cats deworming meds for $5 total. When they go in for an annual shot, I only pay for the shots, not an additional check-up payment. Last time, Beckham had a distemper booster and rabies shot and the bill was around $40. They even post all of their prices on their web page. I have to have night appointments because of work and there's hardly ever a line or other people. They have like 12 vets so they move pretty fast. You can request a vet, but I don't really care so they just assign the soonest one.

I hear what you're saying about people Drs. I'm lucky there too b/c my Dr. is a family friend. He's actually a pediatrician but still works with me even though I'm 20. For example, he's already prescribed me birth control and he only needs to see me to explain the pros and cons and setup my cycle. I had blood tests done at a local lab, but I was in and out in 15 minutes even with 5 attempts to find a vein. Getting an appointment with him sucks b/c he's got so many clients, but sometimes he's a bit loose with prescriptions (like once when I was real little I actually had worms myself and my mom called and he just told her where to pick up the pills).

Anyway, I got the cats the meds. Posh was easy b/c hers came in a syringe so I just forced it down her throat and quickly gave her a treat. Becks was horrible. I put it in a treat, but he found the pill and spit it out. I tried over and over to get him to swallow it, but he'd just pop it out with his tongue. We were running late for class so finally I stuck it back in a we put some water in his mouth so he was forced to swallow. The only nice thing about giving cats meds is that you just pinch their jaw and it opens up for ya, even if they don't want it to!

Last edited:
Cats are SO uncooperative about pill taking! The vets I go to are amazing. They have an excellent web site that has a huge resource section. Check out the video: "Helpful tips for giving your cat a pill". It's the Royal York Animal Hospital, www.ryah.ca.

Oooh, that sounds helpful, but it says "No web site is configured at this address." :(

the annoying thing is is that it's not hard to get the pill way in his mouth, but he just kept pushing it out withi his tongue!

I don't know if you had a chance to read it, but I see they have a long article on round worm infestation. Very informative.

Yeah. Since you either have to eat the eggs or have it already, I think Becks had it before since another cat from the same room did. The vet is already planning on testing stool samples when I go back in a week so maybe he'll need more pills. He didn't barf at all today though :D

This is how I pill my cats.....

Get a large towel or blanket (it helps to have 2 people). Lay it on the ground or couch, put the cat on it and wrap the towel around them like a burrito so that only their head is sticking out. Open their jaw and literally throw the pill AS FAR BACK in their throat as you can, shut their mouth quickly and hold it shut, rub their throat with your finger until they swallow. Try it, it works.. and I have veryyyy difficult cats to pill lol.

Also, I probably wouldnt recommend forcing water in his mouth to pill him in the future, because you run the risk of him choking. Cats dont have gag reflex like dogs and humans.

Back
Top Bottom