Poetry???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clementine_rose

War Child
My sisters midterms are due next week and her assignment is to read a piece of poetry, it must be 3-5 minutes long. I told her about the poem Bono reads in the Andrea Bocelli song L'Incontro and she loved it, the only thing is that it wasn't long enough. So she (my sister) wanted me to ask if any of you all know of any bits of poetry that the Boys might have done, or just any of your favorite poetry pieces. Thank you for any help you can give!

I don´t think you want to use my poetry piece. I used to hang out with some beatniks back in New York City. Every friday we used to all hang out at the local pub and recite poetry with some heavy doses of wine. One time they asked me to stand up and recite a Jack Kerouak style poem.
"We want something spontaneous ", they asked me.
So... I got up from the table and went on stage....

Max : "Listen to the wind...." and then I stood there while they listened without saying a word. Two minutes went by, three minutes went by, four minutes. Then I continued, " I farted."
I got a tremendous applause from the crowd. :rockon:

BUT if you want something else, then you could always grab one of my other poems from "Poetry.com". Good luck

She could read the lyrics from "Elvis Ate America" :up: Bono did that one as a straight up poem on some special a couple of years ago...

She could read anything by W.B. Yeats or Brendan Kennelly... both have deep connections to the band.

Ummm... anything by Charles Bukowski as well :yes: think: The Last Night of the Earth Poems are spectacular :up:

If I think of anything else, I'll let you know :)

Max, I absolutely love that! :LOL: That would be so funny to hear someone do that for their poetry piece. I'll have to look up some of your poetry then, Poetry.com right? What is one of the titles of your poems?
Hippy, I have never heard of "Elvis Ate America", I'll have to look at that. Thank you both for your info.

clementine_rose said:

Hippy, I have never heard of "Elvis Ate America", I'll have to look at that. Thank you both for your info.

No problem! Elvis Ate America is from the Passengers album... here are the lyrics... Bono read them like a poem for an Elvis tribute a few years ago...

Elvis...white trash
Elvis...the Memphis flash
Elvis...didn't smoke hash
Would've been a sissy without Johnny Cash

Elvis...didn't dodge the draft
Elvis...had his own aircraft
Elvis...having a laugh
On the Lisa Marie in a colour photograph

Elvis...under the hood
Elvis...with Cadillac blood
Elvis...darling bud
Flowered and returned to the Mississippi mud

Elvis...ain't gonna rot
Elvis...in a Memphis plot
Elvis...he didn't hear the shot
And Dr. King died just across the lot from...

Elvis...vanilla ice cream
Elvis...girls of fourteen
Elvis...the Memphis spleen
Shooting TVs reading Corinthian's 13

Elvis...with God on his knees
Elvis...owned three TVs
Here come the killer bees Head full of honey potato chips and cheese
Elvis...the bumper stickers
Elvis...the white knickers
Elvis...the white ******
Ate at king burger and just kept getting bigger

Elvis...sang to win