PLEBAns Please Help Me Find A Guitar?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2 Beginner

New Yorker
Hi everyone! I need some held with choosing a guitar to buy, It needs to be cheap and good quality. Its my first time buying a guitar so any help is much appreciated!

Thank You.

with guitars cheap and good quality.. well it depends on a lot of things.. the amplifier should be decent at least..
If youre a starter, you can get basic elec. guitars for 100 € inc. amp... but if you wanna go pro, it's gonna be expensive soon enough!
I know the best guitar for U2 stuff is the Fender Stratocaster(o.a. used by Edge on streets and Pride, and also on Sunday Bloody Sunday in the early days) that one is expensive, about 529€..

I think the best thing to do is just go to a music store, ask around, tell them what you're looking for, what you want... and let them inform you!

I want to play the guitar myself, but I don't know how, so with a few friends we're going to ask a music teacher from my school(guitarist in a great,but unknown, band) if he can teach us the basics...

U2 Beginner said:
Threse no music stores around here.:(

how were you going ot get a guitar then? I shouldn't buy that over the internet, since an instrument is a very sensitive thing.. you never know...
maybe somebody you know knows about it and can help you a bit?

I was gonna go all the way to London to a guitar shop, but I checked out their website and they look to expensive. I was thinking of getting it from the internet because I don't know any guitar shops and I have asked around.:(

I know what you're saying though about it being sensitive and everything. I'm on soundsmusical.com at the moment, they do look reliable, but I'll have to ask around even more now.

well, I can sound stupid now, but I think you should hold the instrument in your own hands before deciding anything...
do you know how to play?

U2 Beginner said:
No, thats why, I want to learn.

By the way, I don't quite understand your first line.

never mind... but if you want to learn it, I'm always told that you should learn the basic on an accoustic guitar first ... I do have my fathers accoustic in my room... but haven't done anything with it yet..

Galeongirl said:

never mind... but if you want to learn it, I'm always told that you should learn the basic on an accoustic guitar first ... I do have my fathers accoustic in my room... but haven't done anything with it yet..

I think this is somewhat myth. My friend plays guitar (any kind...she played onstage w/ U2 twice) and I swear I've heard her say electric is actually easier. Most parents start their kids on accoustic because of the volume :D

^ That's true. I've never played acoustic, and when my friends bought her acoustic round, I've found it harder to play. It's just what your used to I guess.

^^ Agreed. I learned on acoustic, and when I got an electric, I found it easier to play. The strings on the electric are thinner and easier to play overall. I just learned on a decent acoustic and that suited me well enough. But I agree with what Galeongirl was saying, it really helps to actually hold the guitar and buy what feels right. It's one of those "You have to experience it to get it" things.

Good luck finding a guitar! :)

Oh, I forgot to mention. www.musiciansfriend.com is a pretty decent site as well. I don't know if you're interested because it's American based, but they have beginners packs for fairly cheap. I bought a mandolin off of them and it came in good condition, so I'd say they're a trustworthy site.

Ooooooooh. I want an electric acoustic. I'd assume that they sound the same as an acoustic when unplugged. I love the rich tone they have (when plugged in.)

"An electro acoustic guitar is exactly the same as an acoustic guitar in every way. The thing that makes an electro acoustic different is that it also includes a built in microphone or pickup and a pre amp which then allows you to plug a normal guitar lead into the guitar and thereby plug straight into an acoustic guitar amplifier, PA system or recording device."

I'd get a better opinion from someone who owns an ea guitar, but I'd say go for it. You're getting two in one going that route.

Souly said:

How much? :hmm:

I think she originally paid $350 for the guitar, soft case, picks, strap, amp, cords, tuner, and starter DVD. It's like 4 years old, but I think she's played a grand total of like 5 hrs (for 2 years it was sitting in my PopMart room as a display piece!).

Here it is, it's actually navy and white (looks black here):

http://www.calvin.edu/~lar3/Picture 557.jpg

I have no clue what she's asking but she'd probably take $100 for the works.

U2 Beginner said:
Hi everyone! I need some held with choosing a guitar to buy, It needs to be cheap and good quality. Its my first time buying a guitar so any help is much appreciated!

Thank You.

If you have a budget for only one guitar, get an electric. You can't play lead easily on a acoustic guitar. I learned on an acoustic, but got electrics after that.

This one on that same site sounds interesting:

Squier Strat Frontman Pack Electric Guitar Set

:|

^ I'd love to but it would cost too much money.:(

And electric guitars are more 'noisy' than acoustics. My family would kill me if I made that much noise, besides I can't even listen to music that loud sometimes!:yikes:

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I think she originally paid $350 for the guitar, soft case, picks, strap, amp, cords, tuner, and starter DVD. It's like 4 years old, but I think she's played a grand total of like 5 hrs (for 2 years it was sitting in my PopMart room as a display piece!).

Here it is, it's actually navy and white (looks black here):

http://www.calvin.edu/~lar3/Picture 557.jpg

I have no clue what she's asking but she'd probably take $100 for the works.

looks good, but you live in america right? :(

I've bought most of my guitars online, but they are used however still in great condition.
Check out used guitars adverts in your paper or whatever and if you find something good and can go test it out I'd say go for it!

I'd also recommend getting something a bit more expensive if you plan to play guitar for a long time, then you don't have to buy a better guitar after a year or so when you're bored with your chinese crap guitar ;)

Just my opinion.

U2 Beginner said:
^ I'd love to but it would cost too much money.:(

And electric guitars are more 'noisy' than acoustics. My family would kill me if I made that much noise, besides I can't even listen to music that loud sometimes!:yikes:

Not necessarily. Electic guitars are more versatile, and if you want to learn to play U2 songs you will need an electric. Effects sound better wih them. With an electric guitar, you can turn the amp low or not even need an amp. I sometimes plug my guitar directly into my PC's sound card and listen through the speakers or even headphones sometimes, and occasionally record directly. Many sound cards support either a 1/4" or 1/8" jack input - you will need the 1/4" to 1/8" converter if your card supports only 1/8".

^ Seriously?! Wow! With all these comments and help in the Lemonade stand.......... I am going for an electric!!!:hyper:

Thank You so much everyone!!!!:hug: :hyper: :D :wave:

Back
Top Bottom