Pleban sistah's help for a Pleban's Sister!!! (Contraception advice)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gluey

Blue Crack Addict
Hi Girls!!

My sister needs your advice!! She's currently in San Francisco working for this week, before flying out early next week. She needs to get some contraception sorted while she is there (it's a timing issue :wink:) but doesn't know what the story is in the States (she is from NZ but lives mostly in Hong Kong when not travelling with work - which is most of the time!).

Does she got to a Doctor or a Family Planning clinic? What costs are involved (roughly) and can they give her something on the first visit. Also, can she do this in the weekend? AND, if anyone is from San Fransisco (I don't know where she is there exactly), do you have any recommendations...

P.S. Which do you think is better, IUD or depo-provera?

Thanks!!!

Does she have insurance that would allow her to see a dr. here? She could either pay out of pocket for the appt. roughly $70/exam plus any lab fees. They typically won't prescribe Birth Control without the exam/pap.

Family Planning centers usually can't get you in right away. Unless she is looking for emergency contraception, like morning after. I have a friend getting an IUD this week and she had her first exam a month ago then the authorization had to go through...

If no one from S.F responds you could google dr's/clinics.

Good luck :)

Thanks for that redkat. I know she has travel insurance but I'll have to ask if it covers it or not. She was worried that they'd have to do a whole heap of tests first as she isn't in the country (or any country for that fact!) long enough to wait around. I'll tell her to google clinics in the meantime to see what she can find.

Yeah I'd send her to the familly planning clinic..but for BCPills you have to have an exam..but I donno she could see about the shot..that or she can try a pharmacy because they have changed some of the laws in certain states allowing Pharmacists to prescribe BCPills there.. I read it last year about how they were doing it on a website..but yeah call a doc and the pharmacy and see what they say..

I know here in ohio if you go to the family planning its only like $20 a visit not $70..I have a medical card so its free for me anyhow..

Back
Top Bottom