Pleban Girls Party - Kiss and Tell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2isthebest said:

:lmao: :lmao: What are you wasting time here for?:shame: Get out there and support your local fire department!:wink:

Part 2: They just showed the story. It wasn't in my suburb after all, but the next one to the east: A Jaws of Life fell off a fire truck around nine this morning near where I drive to work. The fire department was out looking for it in the streets today, but didn't find it -- and it would cost thousands to replace. So now they'll have to call other fire departments (like the one where I live) whenever they need to get someone out of a wrecked car. :|

Sad_Girl said:

And the people who make and sell automatic weapons are not responsible for the lives those weapons take :slant:

*coughbullshit!cough*

They're not. Now, I'm all for gun control and the strictest laws imaginable, and I'd have them banned completely if I had any say, but stripping it down to the barest facts; we're all responsible for our own actions. What we see and hear affects us, but ultimately we make the final decision in our lives on anything. A person may make an automatic weapon (which to me is ridiculous, but that's not the point), another person buys it, and goes and kills someone. The gun maker has no guilt here, he had no idea what the individual would choose to do with it. Maybe he was just going hunting, maybe (for a completely stupid reason, just to provide an example) collects guns and was going to do nothing but set in a cabinet somewhere. That's not his fault either. Unless he KNEW what the other person was going to use this gun for he bears no responsiblity whatsoever.

jobob said:

Part 2: They just showed the story. It wasn't in my suburb after all, but the next one to the east: A Jaws of Life fell off a fire truck around nine this morning near where I drive to work. The fire department was out looking for it in the streets today, but didn't find it -- and it would cost thousands to replace. So now they'll have to call other fire departments (like the one where I live) whenever they need to get someone out of a wrecked car. :|

:| :tsk: how in the world could that be hard to find, someone probably stole it:shrug:close to what Drea said that damn thing weighs a ton:yikes:

Last edited:
jobob said:

That's a pleasant thought:huh: I hope 2 people don't need the Jaws of Life at the same time. And how do you LOSE the Jaws of Life. How do you not see them? They're slightly large...

Drea said:
What would someone do with Jaws of Life if they aren't a rescue worker/EMT/etc? Aren't those things kinda large?

The one they showed looked like a ginormous pair of tweezers to me.

They said the fire department had called local scrap metal dealers to see if anyone found it and tried to sell it for scrap. Unfortunately, there's a big scrap metal trade in the city.

Brit - I don't think I've ever mentioned it here before, although we have had our share of heavy religious discussions. The calling to witness for me has always been strong; and that includes the ability to interpret what I DO know and try and help others understand Jesus' love - that is all I am doing here, sharing what I know and never claiming that I speak for God. God gave us all the free will to choose all of these things for ourselves. You can't control what goes on outside of you or inside, but you do have the right and responsibility to control your own actions and decisions.

I believe that sums up what I've been trying to say. :lol:

I chose to pursue Emergency Response in the fields of Law, Fire and EMS instead because I thought being a calm presence where and when people needed it was more my calling than to be part of a Church system which I have a weak faith in - It's hard for me to see the Church run like a business :huh:

I eventually burned out in the emergency field, got sick from the stress and spent a lot of time in and out of the hospital.

No, I haven't read it, though I'm fairly certain my sister has. :up:

have you read 'Walk On': the spiritual journey of U2 by Steve Stockman?

jobob said:

Nice. A very important piece of equipment and yes, very expensive :uhoh:

U2isthebest said:

They're not. Now, I'm all for gun control and the strictest laws imaginable, and I'd have them banned completely if I had any say, but stripping it down to the barest facts; we're all responsible for our own actions. What we see and hear affects us, but ultimately we make the final decision in our lives on anything. A person may make an automatic weapon (which to me is ridiculous, but that's not the point), another person buys it, and goes and kills someone. The gun maker has no guilt here, he had no idea what the individual would choose to do with it. Maybe he was just going hunting, maybe (for a completely stupid reason, just to provide an example) collects guns and was going to do nothing but set in a cabinet somewhere. That's not his fault either. Unless he KNEW what the other person was going to use this gun for he bears no responsiblity whatsoever.

exactly, the gun maker is guilty of enabling someone to commit the sort of act they would not be capable of without his product.

Responsibility for their own actions

it's like saying the guy who set the wildfire in Cali isn't responsible for the death of those firefighters or the financial havoc wreaked on the people of the county

Last edited:
jobob said:

The one they showed looked like a ginormous pair of tweezers to me.

They said the fire department had called local scrap metal dealers to see if anyone found it and tried to sell it for scrap. Unfortunately, there's a big scrap metal trade in the city.

:no: not good
they should have pairs,
if something like that should happen
although I don`t think it ever happend until now
:eek:

FB - yeah, it is stressing, thanks! :hug:

Britt - actually, i'm at my parents' house right now. we get the week "off"...but by off i only mean classes are not in session. the work is pouring like the rain though :wink:

SG - hey there :wave: I've read Walk On...I was kinda "meh" about some of it, but overall I think it offered cool insight into U2's songs.

flybabe said:

:no: not good
they should have pairs,
if something like that should happen
although I don`t think it ever happend until now
:eek:

it's not difficult, their vehicles are packed with equipment which often is shoved into ill-designed spaces and compartments - and I can't think of ANY budger in Michigan which could afford TWO pairs of Jaws. Only about half of our fire departments had them up until a year or so ago - and then some of the departments managed with fundraisers outside of their budgets to get them so now there are only a couple who don't carry them

People like to think taxes cover the fire department's needs well, but the fact is they just can't

*Yes, I have been a part of a team which had to reutrn to a scene in search of equipment before - it's embarassing as hell but not nearly as neglectful as it might appear :lol:

Sad_Girl said:
Brit - I don't think I've ever mentioned it here before, although we have had our share of heavy religious discussions. The calling to witness for me has always been strong; and that includes the ability to interpret what I DO know and try and help others understand Jesus' love - that is all I am doing here, sharing what I know and never claiming that I speak for God. God gave us all the free will to choose all of these things for ourselves. You can't control what goes on outside of you or inside, but you do have the right and responsibility to control your own actions and decisions.

I believe that sums up what I've been trying to say. :lol:

I chose to pursue Emergency Response in the fields of Law, Fire and EMS instead because I thought being a calm presence where and when people needed it was more my calling than to be part of a Church system which I have a weak faith in - It's hard for me to see the Church run like a business :huh:

I eventually burned out in the emergency field, got sick from the stress and spent a lot of time in and out of the hospital.

No, I haven't read it, though I'm fairly certain my sister has. :up:

have you read 'Walk On': the spiritual journey of U2 by Steve Stockman?

Nice. A very important piece of equipment and yes, very expensive :uhoh:

I LOVE that statement, and I totally agree with what you said about the church in general. And I never viewed your statements as trying to speak for God, although many Christians seem to think they have that authority:huh: I simply knew most people weren't getting the whole story of the situation, so I wanted to bring it out. By the way, I know a lot of people that went to Madonna concerts all over the world on the past tour, and most of them were inspired to start learning more about Africa, and wanting to do something about the situation; so from that I would say that for a lot of people the message she was trying to convey got across. And I think that's wonderful that you were able to find your gift in Emergency Rescue. It's certainly not something I could do; I'm way too much of fearful and anxious person in that respect. So you're no longer in the Emergency Rescue field, if I'm understanding correctly? I'm sure that must be hard on you, but if it was destroying your health and peace of mind it's not worth it, no matter how wonderful it was. And yes I have read "Walk On:" I LOVED it. I have the updated version with the "Bomb" era in it, so that's a plus for me. I thought he did a great job of taking the statements of Bono, Edge, Adam, and Larry and expounding on them. He presented great arguments against the Christians that refuse to accep them too!

Hi Mia and fly! :hug:

I've actually met Steve Stockman! He was the dean (I think that was his title) at the dorm I lived in at Queen's University in Belfast. Very cool man!

Brit - yeah I agree, I did appreciate a lot of his criticisms. I think what bugged me about the book was I thought there was a bit of an exaggeration. Am I wrong, or did I read that u2 inspired springsteen to write a song??? typing that now, i feel it is wrong :huh: i dont have my book to reference.

Sad_Girl said:

it's not difficult, their vehicles are packed with equipment which often is shoved into ill-designed spaces and compartments - and I can't think of ANY budger in Michigan which could afford TWO pairs of Jaws. Only about half of our fire departments had them up until a year or so ago - and then some of the departments managed with fundraisers outside of their budgets to get them so now there are only a couple who don't carry them

People like to think taxes cover the fire department's needs well, but the fact is they just can't.

Yes, SG and I both live in Michigan. And our state budget hardly has any money to cover its basic needs, sadly enough.

That is very cool Thora :yes: :up:

Mia - I felt the same way about the book :lol: but I was pleased to see it in circulation all the same, because with the interest there is in that aspect of their music I think some people need help understanding

Back
Top Bottom