Pleban Girls gone wild Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno...he had strong beliefs, and was outspoken, but as far as action? Not that that isn't cool and all...

And his death certainly WAS tragic, and a great loss. I remember the night it happened. It was awful. :(

But I think in a way, he's been martyred.

:reject:

VintagePunk said:
I dunno...he had strong beliefs, and was outspoken, but as far as action? Not that that isn't cool and all...

And his death certainly WAS tragic, and a great loss. I remember the night it happened. It was awful. :(

But I think in a way, he's been martyred.

:reject:

I know what you're saying :yes:

I know what some of his beliefs were and stuff and I know what he stood for but I don't really know enough to talk about him :reject:

Sad_Girl said:
What, you think I could make up my mind and choose just one of the Beatles?

Hello, have we not met? Do you not know me at all?

:lmao:

Sorry, I couldn't resist making fun of myself

I liked George mostly, though in High School I was very into John

Apparently, my mom told my brother and sister respectively that if I were a boy or a girl, they could name me. If I were a boy, my name would have been Ringo. :|

*embraces femininity* :happy:

I don't think there's anything wrong with your opinion, VP. I think thats certainly true, at least to some degree.

But I think you need to keep in mind that you cannot accurately compare Bono to Lennon because the eras they were active in are so different. In can be argued that although Lennon didn't necessarily do as much, if he hadn't paved the way, Bono might not have been able to do as much as he has, either

sami0201 said:

I know what you're saying :yes:

I know what some of his beliefs were and stuff and I know what he stood for but I don't really know enough to talk about him :reject:

The funny thing is, I've read all the bios and in depth info books, but it was so long ago, I forget details. A few years ago, Sarah (who was going through a HUGE Beatles phase) got the book that accompanied the DVD set that was brought out...and I've never even looked at it. :huh: My Beatles phase was from when i was 10 or 11 till 16 or 17.

Sad_Girl said:
I don't think there's anything wrong with your opinion, VP. I think thats certainly true, at least to some degree.

But I think you need to keep in mind that you cannot accurately compare Bono to Lennon because the eras they were active in are so different. In can be argued that although Lennon didn't necessarily do as much, if he hadn't paved the way, Bono might not have been able to do as much as he has, either

I totally agree, different eras, completely different models of operating. But I'm not so sure about Lennon paving the way. There were many other artists of the same era who held strong political beliefs. Dylan, Baez...and a bit later, Marley. And really, all the early ones did was sing about it.

I don't think laying with your significant other naked in a window did all that much politically, other than maybe being a symbolic gesture. But I could be wrong.

Again.. :reject: :lol:

VintagePunk said:

I totally agree, different eras, completely different models of operating. But I'm not so sure about Lennon paving the way. There were many other artists of the same era who held strong political beliefs. Dylan, Baez...and a bit later, Marley. And really, all the early ones did was sing about it.

I don't think laying with your significant other naked in a window did all that much politically, other than maybe being a symbolic gesture. But I could be wrong.

Again.. :reject: :lol:

I don't know, I didn't live through any of it. I admire the hell out of Bob Dylan, the man's a hero IMO for his music.

But from people who were young and living through the stuff which Lennon did, they seem to think he helped to open a lot of minds. Not politically, necessarily, but emotionally, societally he changed a large group of people by touching them.

As far as making a hands on, solid difference you can see, then no, he never did that much. He's an artists hero, where Bono is a humanitarian

Sad_Girl said:

I don't know, I didn't live through any of it. I admire the hell out of Bob Dylan, the man's a hero IMO for his music.

But from people who were young and living through the stuff which Lennon did, they seem to think he helped to open a lot of minds. Not politically, necessarily, but emotionally, societally he changed a large group of people by touching them.

As far as making a hands on, solid difference you can see, then no, he never did that much. He's an artists hero, where Bono is a humanitarian

Exactly. I completely agree with that. :yes:

But then again, back in that era, if Lennon had attempted anything like Bono's currently doing, he may have just been ridiculed (to a much larger degree than Bono is, by some), making it impossible. Like you said, different eras, it's like apples and oranges, so hard to tell. :yes:

I was alive then, but I wish I could remember more of the impact of his solo work..Imagine. What did people think of that??

I just realized, my earliest memory was from 1981! I have a really hard time remembering a lot of details about my childhood (sometimes, a few things I remember in vivid detail)

and I remember very clearly when Reagan took office, and Carter got on Airforce one for the last time, and he turned and waved, and I was watching the news coverage of this with my mom, and I was so sad! I was crying and asked my mom why they were sending the president away, where he was going, if he was going to die...

Wow, I was an intense four year old :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom