PLEBA Town Meeting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok ladies, I sense some tension here in the beloved land of PLEBA. We were once such a happy family, but all good things must come to an end I guess...or do they?

I am calling a Town Meeting. It may not be my place to do so, and some of you are probably saying "Who the Hell is FishNeedsABicycle" but I am here, and this is my last ditch effort to save the forum I once loved.

We have seen a few people leave us in the past weeks, and although it is their decision to do so, some of us are really noticing the void. So why are they leaving? Why are some of us considering leaving? Is there anything you would like to see changed? Improved? Let's here it.

Now I DO NOT want this to turn into a bash-fest, and I am sure Sicy will have my back and shut it down if it gets out of hand, but I want this to be a place we can come and talk. Discuss things as the adults we are.

Ok, talk amoungst yourselves...
(and keep it nice)
smile.gif

I just wanna say "Thanks Fishy for being brave enough to post this"

I haven't been around for a few weeks, so I won't comment...just yet. I DO however, think that there IS a noticible problem here that needs to be addressed. I'm hoping it won't get to out-of-hand. Let's not drag our dirty laundry through the streets...(yikes...my grandma used to say that)

I've been kind of out of it for the past few weeks but I'm not sure what the problem is. The only problem I see is that good people are being offended and leaving. This makes me sad.

Kudos, Fishy.....for taking control of this matter. I don't have a comment on this topic, due to the fact that i haven't been really on much since 9/11....but i am back & things have changed..not exactly sure what has happened nor why...

But i feel horrible that people who have been here for months/yrs & had added much value & laughs are now missing not only in Pleba but in the other rooms as well.

I hope the issues can get resloved before we ruin such wonderful community of people.

Starr

there's tension? where? who?

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Everyday can be a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

* sigh. Here we go again.

I havent been in here much since the last ordeal but from what I see I thought it was improving a bit, but apparently I'm wrong if people are still upset and leaving the forum.

The fact is, is this forum is filled with a lot of immature little girls. We should be able to sit down like adults and discuss Adam, Larry, Edge and Bono in a MATURE fashion. Drool, oooh ah at pics, tell our stories, share our dreams, etc etc.

I hate seeing people drop outta here like flies. I encourage you all to share your feelings. Though we have tried before to 'fix' this place... unfortunatly I cant see that happening since there are SO many people that post here it is impossible to get through to them all.

Thanks for your efforts fishy. I really dont know what else to say right now.

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Sicy's FTP

hi fishy girl, thanks for trying this.

i guess i'll start by saying that i've never been more bothered by this fun place than recently. and i think it mostly stemed from this whole incredibly ridiculous picture crap. of people who prefer different looks on the band specifically going into those threads and posting derogatory things. and i'm not singling anyone out, although if you just thought I was- then I probably am talking about you.

I also get annoyed w/ people who expect to be thanked and or begged for posting something on here. There's only a few of those, but worth mentioning I guess. being thanked is obviously nice, and we all appreciate any interesting things posted, but constantly whining about it makes me ignore their threads.

those are my two main annoyances. I guess other than that, there seems to be an influx in pleba members lately, probably because of the success of u2 right now, and people discovering the forum. but this is a GOOD thing! This community we have is a really good thing. People can share and laugh and drool and combust and be inspired together. We can share this whole u2 love. (ok ok i'm really hoping I dont have on rose colored glasses) but we can all at least get along. everyone has the right to speak their mind- but there's a time and place for it, and sometimes that's not taken into consideration.

yeah and i'd like to say on the other hand, there are many wonderful people here who know how to make me smile and laugh and feel warm and I love that. I love that I've met so many wonderful people because of this band. And I hope that everyone reading this can at least say that about one person.

Olive

------------------
"Songs are the language of the spirit... the melodies are how you sing to God. It's a deep language. But they can't explain everything, because really great songs touch places that you can't explain." -Bono

U2 Take Me Higher

MPS: "Evil shouldn't look this good"

"The way I might look at you" ~Adam

Thanks Fishy for posting this...

You all know I am the biggest, "hey what the Hell... ignore it" person in the world but lately I've just started to avoid almost everything in here because I don't want to see or get involved in really petty little fights.

To quote Zoo Tv...
"It's Very Simple" :
Just don't be rude to one another. Don't bait people. Don't rise to the bait either.

In the words of Frankie Goes To Hollywood:
"Relax..."

_Bluey

here's food for thought...

Wondering...the people who have misused or abused this forum..whoever they may be...

Can Moderators delete accounts on here?
If that's the case, i would suggest a warning email or warning post on the issue...or what not & if it happens again they are deleted.

At least you will take some control & it also weeds out all the BS

Starr

Moderators cant, but Elvis can. And if I am told of who the problem people are, I can relay the messages to Elvis and take care of it.

------------------
It's cold in the ground
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Sicy's FTP

I don't know about anyone else, but ever since I came here, things have been on the downslide. I'm just annoyed at PLEBA right now -- maybe it's just for today, maybe it'll be a month, I don't know, but until I can have fun posting here again, I'll just skip PLEBA and stick to EYKIW.

------------------
Official Bono Ego Defender

"Don't call me Shirley." - Larry

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
Moderators cant, but Elvis can. And if I am told of who the problem people are, I can relay the messages to Elvis and take care of it.

That's good to know.
I don't read every thread here, I don't have that much time, but I have noticed it's all getting a little out of hand. I was under the impression(when I joined)that if you didn't 'behave' you could be banned. I seem to remember that happening last spring, why doesn't that happen anymore?
I've just tried to reply when it's necessary, drool when necessary, and just 'be' most of the time.
This is first thing I was going to say when I read this thread earlier...
"We are a bunch of hormonal women, of course there will be trouble. Thank goodness we all aren't in a room together"

Sicy I would have to agree with you, things have gotten a little better around here. I have to admit my main kvetch used to be that we needed to condense our threads...quality over quantity, and such. I must admit that has improved.

See it helps to talk it all out...we mentioned condensing and it seems to have taken hold...atleast until the next batch of newbies(LOL, Just Kidding I love newbies!) They are just so excitable...
smile.gif

My main complaint now seems to be that we all seem to have short fuses. I am not singling anyone out, afterall I was guilty of it myself when I was new. I actually think my first or second post was to pick a fight with someone...LOL...ahhhhh, how we mellow with age...
smile.gif

So maybe if we could all take a step back when we see something offensive...read it again...could it be taken another way? If not, don't follow their lead, and come back in a blaze of glory...simma down...and remember...you are an adult. (Well most of us anyway)
smile.gif

Well i think that is all for now...carry on ladies...carry on...

Fishy <><
P.S. I am more than pleased to see us keeping a cool head so far...lets keep it up! See we can be mature...perish the thought
smile.gif

Hmmm...I have been here since Novemeber and am a relative newbie, though the post count belies my addiction
biggrin.gif
. But I'd like to comment. I've been having fun in PLEBA recently...it seems that a lot of the stuff happening when I first came here has settled down. Lately I've seen more threads that encourage my spirit (and make me drool, in a good way). And I like that. As for people attacking each other, I don't like that. And my solution to this problem would be to quote Fishy cause she said it best...
Originally posted by FishNeedsABicycle:
So maybe if we could all take a step back when we see something offensive...read it again...could it be taken another way? If not, don't follow their lead, and come back in a blaze of glory...simma down...and remember...you are an adult. (Well most of us anyway)
smile.gif

just my two cents

Peace
hippy

------------------
BONO: FOAD, Lawrence. Just FOAD. (LOL, Mona)

You can dream, so dream out loud!

Create Light, Create Unity, Create Joy, CREATE PEACE!

I have seen a lot of members from this forum leave because of silly arguments started from differences in taste and were conveyed rudely through personal attacks.

So I was in part responsible for the last argument when I kindly pointed out that there's no need to be disrespectful when disagreeing. I thought I was pretty clear in what I meant but instead the thing escalated to proportions that were beyond laughable. People were so hotheaded they seemed to just not process anything I wrote no matter how much I elaborated. I threw a little fire in there with side comments to see if indeed the person would bite and sure enough that person did so at that point I realized there was no use no matter what I said the person refused to even understand my point of view, at which point I decided to just quit.

So all this was in vain, and I'm sorry I disrupted the board. I was truly only trying to help.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

Hmm...this is interesting. I haven't been in here as much as I used be--I mainly stick to other boards because some people just get out of hand sometime. I've only been here since the beginning of July, but it's very different now. OK, that's my 2 cents, even if they are a little vague.

------------------
I've been walking Central Park
Singing after dark
People think I'm crazy

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
hi fishy girl, thanks for trying this.

i guess i'll start by saying that i've never been more bothered by this fun place than recently. and i think it mostly stemed from this whole incredibly ridiculous picture crap. of people who prefer different looks on the band specifically going into those threads and posting derogatory things. and i'm not singling anyone out, although if you just thought I was- then I probably am talking about you.

I also get annoyed w/ people who expect to be thanked and or begged for posting something on here. There's only a few of those, but worth mentioning I guess. being thanked is obviously nice, and we all appreciate any interesting things posted, but constantly whining about it makes me ignore their threads.

those are my two main annoyances. I guess other than that, there seems to be an influx in pleba members lately, probably because of the success of u2 right now, and people discovering the forum. but this is a GOOD thing! This community we have is a really good thing. People can share and laugh and drool and combust and be inspired together. We can share this whole u2 love. (ok ok i'm really hoping I dont have on rose colored glasses) but we can all at least get along. everyone has the right to speak their mind- but there's a time and place for it, and sometimes that's not taken into consideration.

yeah and i'd like to say on the other hand, there are many wonderful people here who know how to make me smile and laugh and feel warm and I love that. I love that I've met so many wonderful people because of this band. And I hope that everyone reading this can at least say that about one person.

Olive

What she said.

------------------
They say that magic and the science world collide
Oh, but Einstein saw me lookin' at her and he joined my side

Jonathan Richman
"A Higher Power"

I can say that I agree with everyone here. I haven't been here very long either, but have been enjoying the last while a whole lot, minus the era-bashing, and the people-leaving. I think there has been a variety of threads for everyone. I've noticed that it hasn't been as clique orientated too, which is probably because of all the newbies (me included)coming in. I really think this is a positive thing and I think it will just get better as time goes on *prays*.

Originally posted by FishNeedsABicycle:
So maybe if we could all take a step back when we see something offensive...read it again...could it be taken another way? If not, don't follow their lead, and come back in a blaze of glory...simma down...and remember...you are an adult. (Well most of us anyway0

As for what fishy said.... *two thumbs up*!!! I've always tried to do this myself.

Anyways.... I hope no ones gets offended at what I said. I love the thread!! Much needed!!!

------------------
*sending out good vibes for the Grammys*

Yaa..ee..ya!
Yaa..now..
Slow brother...
It's all for you...
Sugar.. mm..mm..mmm..
-Before "Stuck" -Letterman 10/29/2001

[This message has been edited by Can'tSeeOrBeSeen (edited 01-15-2002).]

Originally posted by madonna's child:
there's tension? where? who?

Maybe I haven't been around long enough but I haven't seen the problems that are being brought up here. It could be that its all going right over my head and I'm not seeing it! I can't speak for anyone but myself when I say that I have had nothing but positive experiences here. I waited 2 months to register before I was ready to post for the first time because I was afraid that I wouldn't be accepted but just the opposite happened. Everyone I have shared with or responded to has been kind and welcoming. I don't read each and every post so maybe that is why I'm not seeing the tension but I hope the problems can be resolved before any more people choose to leave. Of course some posts are going to be silly to some people and annoying to others but that is the great thing about this place. We are all very different people with one thing in common, and that is our mutual love of U2. We are hormonal females of all different ages and we will NEVER all agree on certain things but that is what I love about PLEBA. But I do agree that no one should be attacked for having different opinions and/or preferences, that is never okay.

[This message has been edited by Bono's American Wife (edited 01-15-2002).]

hmm... what to say here. i started reading regularly in october, and i used pleba to alleviate my PED...and it worked. but then lately, i haven't been reading much at all because it seems like the posts and stuff have changed. i don't really know HOW but...eh my post is pointless
smile.gif
lol ignore me.

all i figure is that instead of causing fights cuz of different opinions, just ignore them...like Olive said - lots of fights starting over liking different "eras"...then ignore the ones you don't like...it's THAT easy...it's alot easier to ignore people on the net than in person...
smile.gif

------------------
~sara
sle2@geneseo.edu
http://www.platinumcomplication.com

"spreadin the neck love!" - olive
"my funnest one is the ISHFWILF w/ larry on teh cover and he's all moany and hottttt" - olive
"The Fly has to be the Fly!"

Well, I can only speak for myself and I think the only way anything can ever improve is if we learn to respect other people's opinions... so some people may love POP, some may not. some may have a thing for mullets, some may not. Some may think Adam's scary... you get the idea. That's what makes Interference great: everyone has U2 stories to share, reasons why they love U2, and knowing there are other people they who share a common bond with.

Yeah, there are people who wil disagree over U2 eras, style, music, band members, whatever, but it's not worth starting World War III over...
smile.gif

------------------
*~*?*~*~ Katie ~*~*?*~*

"No matter how much we wrap it up in tinsel and television, I'm still the geezer with the white flag." ~ Bono
"That'll never fit on a t-shirt." ~ Larry on ATYCLB

Hold on to love, hold on to love....
Love won't let you go...

[This message has been edited by wildhoney22 (edited 01-15-2002).]

Originally posted by The_Sweetest_Thing:
I just wanna say "Thanks Fishy for being brave enough to post this"

I haven't been around for a few weeks, so I won't comment...just yet. I DO however, think that there IS a noticible problem here that needs to be addressed. I'm hoping it won't get to out-of-hand. Let's not drag our dirty laundry through the streets...(yikes...my grandma used to say that)

Something like that.

------------------
~"Mirrors on the ceiling, we drink champagne on ice, and she said "we are all just prisoners here, of our own device"~

From Hotel California, but referring to those of us trapped in Mr. MacPhisto's dungeon

All right. I have been completely in the dark. I just read the threads in question, thanks to someone for informing me. NOW I'm pissed off.

And two of the people arguing are OLDER THAN 30. There goes my theory of immature little girls. Can we say immature adults??

My God, if you dont like an era, dont post in that thread.

Everyone has their own opinions, there is absolutely no need to go balistic arguing about who likes what, whats better than what. And there is certainly NO REASON to start threads to PURPOSELY START TROUBLE. THAT is grounds for bannishment as stated in the agreement when you joined this forum.

If I see that crap again I will be alerting higher powers of the situation. For now I'll trust you guys can attempt to be adults about this as I dont want to see anyone get in trouble.

------------------
It's cold in the ground
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Sicy's FTP

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
* sigh. Here we go again.

I havent been in here much since the last ordeal but from what I see I thought it was improving a bit, but apparently I'm wrong if people are still upset and leaving the forum.

The fact is, is this forum is filled with a lot of immature little girls. We should be able to sit down like adults and discuss Adam, Larry, Edge and Bono in a MATURE fashion. Drool, oooh ah at pics, tell our stories, share our dreams, etc etc.

I hate seeing people drop outta here like flies. I encourage you all to share your feelings. Though we have tried before to 'fix' this place... unfortunatly I cant see that happening since there are SO many people that post here it is impossible to get through to them all.

Thanks for your efforts fishy. I really dont know what else to say right now.

Call it whatever you like, but I am inclined to agree with Sicy.

Like LadyLemon said, things are very different than they were, say, in June when I joined. Things seemed more "mature".

That's all I'm going to say right now as I haven't been around here as much lately and I feel I can't make judgements on something I don't see everyday.

------------------
Cut out the poetry
Let's hit the main artery
No time for a tourniquet
Let the colour's all run out of me

Oh well-I really just want to avoid all this-but certain things have prompted me to respond. And I will be honest. The way I see it, this latest 'problem' was caused by people FINALLY speaking up who were tired of their threads being ruined by the same person over and over who expressed 'disgust' with their pics-and called them 'trashy', etc. We all may disagree w/ things-but there is a 'nice' way to do so. And this is constant-not just a one time occurrence.And whether or not it's done under different user names-it's obviously the same person.

So because some people finally did this, this 'problem' happened-so frankly, I don't see it as a problem. I avoid certain threads because of this-and because some people just can't let some things go. And I thought it was my choice to look at and or post in whatever threads I wanted to-and not be criticized for that. And in all honesty, I resent being labeled as 'less mature than someone's kids'. I'll just refer to what Olive said about asking to be 'thanked' and 'whining' and leave it at that. And I completely agree w/ her entire post as well.

Finally, I'll just copy and paste something I posted in another thread and leave it at that-

'Geesh, I don't even really want to get involved in any of this-it's so ridiculous. But I do feel the need to say a few things.
Martha has a great SENSE OF HUMOR-that's why she started those threads. She was NOT taking any 'swipes' at Bono-from my observations, she worships and adores him.
Oh my-I said Mac Phisto 'kinda scares me'!! If Bono ever found out, he'd hate me for sure . You know what-I LOVE MACPHISTO-and POP BONO, and everything else, cause I LOVE Bono's creativity and his willingness to constantly take 'risks' and push the envelope. And I also adore his self-deprecating sense of humor.I take them seriously as musicians and human beings-not any particular 'look' they may choose to have.

I don't give a **** if he wears a french braid, braids a la Pippi Longstocking, a mohawk, or a bouffant. I care about what his music has brought to my life-same for the OTHER THREE MEN in this band. I care about what he, and the other three, are doing to bring important issues to the forefront.Of course, I do admire the looks of ALL FOUR.

If you don't like a certain 'look', just don't open the thread. Maria is a wonderful person around here, and there's no reason that had to happen in her thread. Ditto for Olive-the same thing was done to her thread.

That's IT-I have NO intention of getting in any arguments about this stuff.'

okay, I have done my homework and I have read the threads I believe this all about...catty, petty, immature, that is the only way to describe it. I now understand why people are not happy with PLEBA. But, we all have choices and one of those is not to respond when someone is trying to start trouble. It is possible to have a friendly disagreement without being insulting and using profanity to make your point. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Ok I am sensing the temperatures rising...simma down ladies...we seem to be getting close to name calling and that was not my intent...
smile.gif

Sicy I hope you don't consider this thread to be one started to cause trouble, I think I made it clear that was not my intent. Just making sure we are on the same page.
smile.gif

I am really enjoying this thread, I am glad everyone is coming out of the woodwork to express your opinions. See it's not so bad to do that every once in while. And who knows maybe PLEBA is "save-able" after all.
smile.gif

So can we all agree to disgree about which "era" is best and if a man should rock a mullet or not, and in the immortal words of Rodney King "Can't we all just get along?"

Fishy <>< (who is waiting for tomatoes to be thrown at her after that last comment)
smile.gif

This place isn't perfect but it is hardly a disaster. There are problems here but they always 'come out in the wash' as MY grandmother used to say.

I see several people here bringing up the 'look' thing. I have commented on this, saying 'if you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all.' Here are a few actual examples of unecessary remarks I have personally seen posted here:
'Adam's 'fro was just repulsive'
'Pop Bono was hideous- get me a blindfold and a barfbag!'
'Mullet Bono was never attractive- yuck, no more of this mullet jazz!'
Problem is, everyone thinks what they do is excusable and what someone of another opinion does is wrong but I don't think any of it is needed. If any of you girls want to say anything negative about U2 perhaps you belong on the Henry Rollins message board instead.

Though this topic is being beaten to death tonight, it is not the only problem. It's nothing to do with why Echo left, or why so many others have disappeared over the last couple of months.

As some have brought up, the excessive threads, the inappropriate threads and immaturity have been a big problem but has since seemed to have calmed down.

There are a lot of us here and though so many good ones like Echo and Icelady are leaving there are more coming every day. If we cannot stop the things that bother us perhaps we can just ignore them and not let them bother us, though that may be difficult. As someone mentioned, it's a good thing we are not all in the same room! Someone told me once, it's a lot easier to hide behind a computer monitor and some of the things people think and say they probably would not have the nerve to do it if they had to look the person in the eye, or live or work by them every day.

Here is something else my Grandmother always said that used to irritate me but maybe it's appropriate here:

God grant me the serenity
to change the things I can change
accept the things I cannot change
and the wisdom to know the difference.

It is JUST a forum, on a little blue page on the internet. Any of us could walk away today and our lives would go on.

------------------
U2- The Unforgettable Fire still burns!

Originally posted by Bono's American Wife:
okay, I have done my homework and I have read the threads I believe this all about...catty, petty, immature, that is the only way to describe it. I now understand why people are not happy with PLEBA. But, we all have choices and one of those is not to respond when someone is trying to start trouble. It is possible to have a friendly disagreement without being insulting and using profanity to make your point. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

Thank you, that's the only thing I said to begin with before everything escalated to silly proportions. Again my apologies, but I did not think such a comment could lead to such childish behavior.

------------------
Long live the lemon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom