PLEBA Town Meeting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I only want to say that to get along we need:
RESPECT
&
MATURITY

"We can work it out"
*hugs for the entire forum*
smile.gif

I shouldn't probably be posting this, because it'll most likely make a mod or posters mad, but because this is what I am particularly sick of in PLEBA, I'm posting it. I don't care, flame me if you like. I'll probably not even read them anyway.
The problem I have is that once people find out my age, they act very weird about it, don't want to say what they want to, etc. and think they need to tone it down. Well, guess what? Ever since I started coming online when I was 8 I have been treated like an adult because everyone thought I WAS an adult, and I'm used to being treated that way, and now it's changed. And to have my favourite webboard be "toned down" for children that may or may not exist, that bothers me. I know that all sounds stupid, but it's true. It does bother me. I know that PLEBA shouldn't bow to my feet and grant my every wish, but I think people need to realize that there are immature 10-15 year olds, and there are mature 10-15 year olds.
And now I'll just be dismissed as a dumb kid who has hurt feelings and needs to shut up. I have other things I want to say about PLEBA and the problems, but I know I will have a lot of enemies if I do say all my feelings.
Like I said before, flame me if you want. I agree it sounds incredibly petty and childish, but it's what bothers me and prevents me from liking PLEBA.

------------------
"Don't call me Shirley." - Larry

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

Originally posted by sparkys girl:

Thanks alot Emily!
wink.gif

tongue.gif

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl:

This is pretty funny to me. I didn't even realize there was a "problem." I do have two points for starters, though.
A: This is an internet forum. In the grand scheme of human existence, this doesn't even register on the map.

B: I love the people who say, "Things just haven't been the same lately" and "Things sure have changed since I joined up." Not one person who has posted in this thread has been registered as long as I have, and as you can tell from my post count, I don't feel the need to respond to every thread that comes my way. One day, you too will realize that these "troubles" pop up in many of the forums, not just PLEBA. Someone is always getting their feelings hurt and threatening to leave, and then there are several threads about the situation, it goes away for awhile, then a new one arises.

My approach: Post to the threads that interest you and never intentionally offend others. Don't take anything people write here too seriously due to the nature of the beast---an internet forum. And if you don't like how things are going, just wait a week or two and come back. Things are always changing.

i agree with everything she said!

------------------
)|( Vande )|(

"Rock 'n' roll is a term that's been heavily abused. It's not
something you can buy in a record shop. It's an attitude." -Adam

"And I wear grey underwear." -Bono

Everyday can be a beautiful day. Don't let it get away.

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

It?s cold outside, but brightly lit...

Originally posted by Ana:
I only want to say that to get along we need:
RESPECT
&
MATURITY

"We can work it out"
*hugs for the entire forum*
smile.gif
I'm with Ana. We need to come together, instead of tearing each other apart. In the grand scheme of things, especially with the tragedies of the last year, the fact that someone doesn't like Bono's haircut, or the fact that someone thinks that Adam looks cute with his fro is hardly important.

If the Boys can last through thick and thin over 24 years of making music together, there is something seriously wrong with a bunch of people who can't manage to get along with a group of people who they have never met in real life.

While I may not be as frequent a poster as some people on here, I DO enjoy being here (reading everyone?s posts, looking at piccies, replying to posts, etc). I?m not sure that what I am going to say is all that different from what everyone has already said, but I will just put it out there anyway.

We all come from very different places (ok ? I mean that literally and metaphorically?different ages, life experiences, etc.). I think that is pretty darn special ? if you look at our world today, we can?t get a group of government officials to agree on something as important as debt relief. But look at the group of us ? we?re all here because we love U2. I think Bono once said, U2 on it?s own is special, but U2 & its audience is a culture.

Anywhoo ? given that all of us are so different, we?re bound to have different preferences about the different ?eras? that U2 has been through. We just need to agree to disagree on some things ? and I think we can do this without getting to the level of personal attacks.

No matter what, we love U2 ? I know that?s why I?m here. It?s not about looks ? the bottom line is that we love the music. There is something there in their music that moves us (in mysterious ways ?. Sorry, that was a cheesy pun).

Now someone may or may not like ?insert the name of the album you don?t like here? ? it?s not the end of the world. I don?t think the boys would be offended if we didn?t like something they did. They were just exploring new sounds (they?ve got to keep it interesting for themselves, as much as they do for the fans). We don?t want them to get bored now, do we?

Those were a buck of my totally random thoughts ? that?s what you get when I haven?t had enough coffee this morning.

I want all of us to be more respectful and understanding of one another. Before you hit that submit button on a post, re-read it and think about whether or not you really want to say that.

------------------
Jessica

"I turn slightly and catch Bono with half a Perrier bottle in his mouth. He's sucking the thing in such a manner it would put Madonna to shame!"

"I'm very secure with the fact that I'm not black. I'm white, pink and rosy. But I've got soul."
--Bono

?We make music you can have sex to.?
--Bono

"Girls boys listen me kiss love fun drink sick kiss cuddle sex swim sea rock and rub." (from the gates of Bono's house)

Originally posted by HeartlandGirl:
This is pretty funny to me. I didn't even realize there was a "problem." I do have two points for starters, though.

A: This is an internet forum. In the grand scheme of human existence, this doesn't even register on the map.

B: I love the people who say, "Things just haven't been the same lately" and "Things sure have changed since I joined up." Not one person who has posted in this thread has been registered as long as I have, and as you can tell from my post count, I don't feel the need to respond to every thread that comes my way. One day, you too will realize that these "troubles" pop up in many of the forums, not just PLEBA. Someone is always getting their feelings hurt and threatening to leave, and then there are several threads about the situation, it goes away for awhile, then a new one arises.

My approach: Post to the threads that interest you and never intentionally offend others. Don't take anything people write here too seriously due to the nature of the beast---an internet forum. And if you don't like how things are going, just wait a week or two and come back. Things are always changing.

Okay, carry on....
smile.gif

What she said.
biggrin.gif

I've been coming and going for a long time now... and this too shall pass.

Peace.

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Ladies, Ladies...

I read through all of your responses & I didn't go back & read any of the old threads on why & how this all came about...Because it's old & should have been handled when it happened. But I personally feel that it shouldn't have happened at all.

I don't post in here often but I do lurk in here because all of you make laugh & brighten up my day.

Can we just put things in perspective here...EVERYONE will & always have the right to there opinion whether it's...how many people like Bono with a Mullet? I sure as hell don't but someone out there might. I find it funny & when I see pictures of him, I laugh. Is that wrong? NO, absolutely not...everyone has different taste & this band that we all have loved for God knows how long..has had many transitions...They have grown through out the years have had many different styles, looks, & music ...That's what art & the creative aspect is all about.

I believe we are all here for the same common reason for the love of the BAND. For a band that has given us so much change & we love them for that, the have spiced it up nicely & never have gotten stale in the process. That's why everyone is able to have their own views likes & dislikes. BUT is anyone's dislikes wrong? NO!!! What's wrong is the fact that flames are getting started in a forum where we are all here for the same common reason...THE LOVE of the BAND...if you don't like the POP stage, Adam's bleached blond hair, the edge without a hat...the fact that larry loves bikes..there is no reason why you cannot state your dislikes....there is no reason why someone else should even put you down in nasty way for your VIEWS....RESPECT LADIES!!! It all comes down to REPECTING others thoughts & views..You never know, your views can change easy on certain aspects due to someone bring something new to table or a different view on looking at something. Life is all about learning, growing, sharing & repecting others. If we don't do that everyday..then why even live?

my two cents if it's worth anything

Originally posted by JessicaAnn:
I want all of us to be more respectful and understanding of one another. Before you hit that submit button on a post, re-read it and think about whether or not you really want to say that.

Good words Jessica. Well I thought the thread was doomed, but I see we have it back under control now.
smile.gif

Please believe me when I say that this thread was not started as a personal attack on ANYONE. I have no idea what this whole "Pop" arguement is about, I never even read that thread, so I am not calling anyone out here. I feel bad if that is the impression that some of you got.

If you notice in my original post that started this thread, I expressed no specific opinions, just a general topic for discussion. I hold no ill will towards anyone on this forum, and I hate it that this thread has caused someone to feel as though they have to leave. Non-Poptart I have no idea who you are, I think that is the first time I have seen your name (no-offense) so I was not doing this to keep stirring up the coals, and I certainly DO NOT want this to turn into an "era-debate" we can start another thread for that.

My intentions were only to alleviate some of the tension I was feeling around here. What is so wrong with that? I mean a couple of months ago we talked about condensing threads and it has happened, I mean look at most of the threads...pretty quality stuff right?

So now I thought it was time to ask everyone to approach this board as the adults you are. ElevatedMole, when I say adult, I am including you. I agree with you, you do not have to be older to be mature, as you can see there are some pretty immature "adults" around here.
smile.gif
(That was not a slam on anyone in particular, just a general observation, I'm guilty of it too)

So please, look at this thread for what it is. It is NOT a Town Stoning, it is a Town Meeting...

Fishy <><

[This message has been edited by FishNeedsABicycle (edited 01-16-2002).]

Originally posted by Starr:
I believe we are all here for the same common reason for the love of the BAND. For a band that has given us so much change & we love them for that, the have spiced it up nicely & never have gotten stale in the process. That's why everyone is able to have their own views likes & dislikes. BUT is anyone's dislikes wrong? NO!!! What's wrong is the fact that flames are getting started in a forum where we are all here for the same common reason...THE LOVE of the BAND...if you don't like the POP stage, Adam's bleached blond hair, the edge without a hat...the fact that larry loves bikes..there is no reason why you cannot state your dislikes....there is no reason why someone else should even put you down in nasty way for your VIEWS....RESPECT LADIES!!! It all comes down to REPECTING others thoughts & views..You never know, your views can change easy on certain aspects due to someone bring something new to table or a different view on looking at something. Life is all about learning, growing, sharing & repecting others. If we don't do that everyday..then why even live?

I believe your two cents is woth a lot. Well said.
smile.gif

Fishy <><

Originally posted by Starr:
Ladies, Ladies...

I read through all of your responses & I didn't go back & read any of the old threads on why & how this all came about...Because it's old & should have been handled when it happened. But I personally feel that it shouldn't have happened at all.

I don't post in here often but I do lurk in here because all of you make laugh & brighten up my day.

Can we just put things in perspective here...EVERYONE will & always have the right to there opinion whether it's...how many people like Bono with a Mullet? I sure as hell don't but someone out there might. I find it funny & when I see pictures of him, I laugh. Is that wrong? NO, absolutely not...everyone has different taste & this band that we all have loved for God knows how long..has had many transitions...They have grown through out the years have had many different styles, looks, & music ...That's what art & the creative aspect is all about.

You have said something no one else has said, and I must comment. It's about the dislikes! If some have a right to state dislikes why not all of us? It shouldn't be selective. I LOVE the mullet, and I don't like to see it made fun of, but I can respect your opinion if you can respect mine- I think he looked stupid and horrible during Pop! I think they all looked like exiled clowns from a Halloween nightmare in space. I HATED everything about Pop! If I state my opinion, I am branded as starting trouble, offending someone's opinion, being rude, etc, and aren't they when they criticize something I like?? It's like only the Pop people have a right to state what you are supposed to say! Most of the girls I know don't like Pop wouldn't dare say it- at least not anymore- because of this.

All I ask for is JUSTICE and an END to the HYPOCRISY and DOUBLE STANDARD- what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. No pot should call the kettle black. Well right now on the I Will Follow thread someone has gone 'LOLOLOL!' and that makes me mad because I adore that video and see nothing funny about it. It also angers me that that is allowed to stand, while if I went in to a Pop thread and said 'LOLOLOL they all look dumb' I would be ripped to bits! Can ANYONE see my point here? I NEVER put anyone down or intentionally offended anyone but I do feel I have been intentionally attacked for my views, yet *I* am the one accused of being unfair?????!!!!!
confused.gif
I can't stand this. I AM leaving, but I did have to come back here and see how badly I was flamed. Whether or not you agree with me Starr thank you for at least pointing out that we do have a right to state our dislikes- as long as we ALL do without fear of accusations and flames! It shouldn't be selective according to your point of view, if the policy doesn't include EVERYONE than it's no good. The HYPOCRISY must end!!!!!

------------------
"Mullets rule!"

So please, look at this thread for what it is. It is NOT a Town Stoning, it is a Town Meeting...

Too late Fishy. I have already been stoned to death. I can never feel the same way about most of the girls here who jumped to inaccurate and unfair conclusions.

Allow me one last *THUD* as I die-

in my honor please insert one hot pic, any era but POP please!

*THUD*

frown.gif

*gasp* I leave the forum for a couple of weeks and what happens??? Everybody goes crazy and starts leaving the forum and start fighting...girlies you knew I was leaving only for a little bit no need to be mad anymore LOL j/k...I have no clue what's going on here but I just have to say I love you all and I don't hate anybody or mad at anybody *hugs the forum* Keep the Peace alive girlies
smile.gif

------------------
The U2 revolution has been reinstated.

THE Larry Mullen Jr. Page
http://www.geocities.com/kiti_regia/index.html

Meeting Larry:
*MG shows Larry poster*
*Larry reads poster*
*Larry smiles and says "Thank you that's very nice of you"*
*Larry signs paper, shakes MG's hand*
*MG almost dies then sees tearaway pants and gets bad ideas*

I have noticed recently, that threads with sexual innuendo's have been closed. I understand, of course, that there are people under 18 who are participating on this board.

However, I do feel that U2 is a very sexual band, and that they have been expressing that over the course of their career. If Bono, and Co. didn't want young women to drool over them, then they wouldn't do the following:
-Larry wouldn't wear buttonless shirts
-Bono wouldn't roll around on stage with (young) girls
-Bono wouldn't write lyrics like, "You Turn Me On".
-Bono wouldn't say things in concerts like "Whatever's going on in these pants, its getting harder".
-Adam wouldn't walk around topless half the time
-Adam wouldn't have had a naked picture of himself on the Actung Baby cover
-Bono wouldn't talk about what things Edge takes "sexual pleasure" from
-Bono wouldn't get "elevated" in concert, and make no effort to conceal it

I just think that all these things, and many more show us that the boys are playing up to their image of sex symbols, and that we are just acting upon that. Of course there needs to be some limit to that, but if we aren't going any further then the boys themselves, then we shouldn't have threads closed. After all, you don't need to be 18 to buy a U2 cd, dvd, or concert ticket.

This is just my opinion, and Sicy, Elvis, and the other mod's have the right to close whatever thread they feel is inappropriate. I am just throwing in my two cents.

*throws two pennies on the floor*

Unfortunatly I did not read the threads as they were happenining. If I read every thread in here I think I'd shoot myself
biggrin.gif

So, if someone sees something going on that they feel should be stopped or that a mod needs to intervene, PLEASE email me. My email is at the top of the forum. I cant pay attention to every thread and every post, I have a whole board to moderate and PLEBA is not #1 on my list.

Fishy I would like to say again I appreciate your efforts and I really hope we can all learn something from this. It's about respect for others, like other people have said, treat others as you wish to be treated.

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Sicy's FTP

So now I thought it was time to ask everyone to approach this board as the adults you are. ElevatedMole, when I say adult, I am including you. I agree with you, you do not have to be older to be mature, as you can see there are some pretty immature "adults" around here. (That was not a slam on anyone in particular, just a general observation, I'm guilty of it too)

Thank you very much, Fishy.
smile.gif

I have noticed recently, that threads with sexual innuendo's have been closed. I understand, of course, that there are people under 18 who are participating on this board.
However, I do feel that U2 is a very sexual band, and that they have been expressing that over the course of their career. If Bono, and Co. didn't want young women to drool over them, then they wouldn't do the following:
-Larry wouldn't wear buttonless shirts
-Bono wouldn't roll around on stage with (young) girls
-Bono wouldn't write lyrics like, "You Turn Me On".
-Bono wouldn't say things in concerts like "Whatever's going on in these pants, its getting harder".
-Adam wouldn't walk around topless half the time
-Adam wouldn't have had a naked picture of himself on the Actung Baby cover
-Bono wouldn't talk about what things Edge takes "sexual pleasure" from
-Bono wouldn't get "elevated" in concert, and make no effort to conceal it

I just think that all these things, and many more show us that the boys are playing up to their image of sex symbols, and that we are just acting upon that. Of course there needs to be some limit to that, but if we aren't going any further then the boys themselves, then we shouldn't have threads closed. After all, you don't need to be 18 to buy a U2 cd, dvd, or concert ticket.

I agree with you SO much, Spinny. 100%.
smile.gif

------------------
"Don't call me Shirley." - Larry

"I was drunk, high on him, a shrinking, shadowboxing dwarf following in his foosteps...badly...STARSTRUCK.." - Bono, on meeting Frank Sinatra for the first time

"Bono? Bono is going to tie ropes around my neck? Wait a minute.." - Edge, when shooting the 'Numb' video

[This message has been edited by elevatedmole (edited 01-16-2002).]

*Throws up hands, and waves the white flag*

Ok, I feel like this thread is on the verge of breaking down, so if the mods feel like closing it that is fine with me, I will not try to regulate it anymore. I feel like we have some good ideas here, and many good things have been said. So lets focus on the good things and see if we can't all walk away from this with longer fuses, and slower tempers.

Please?

I hope no one has ill feelings towards me for starting all of this, and I tried to do my best to keep it calm in here, but it seems to be evolving into an era-thing, so I am dissolving all responsiblity if it does...

I just have to say that I think this thread proves that we can discuss things in a mature fashion, yes there are always going to be those who go off the deep end with things, but 80% of this thread was positive comments and suggestions...80% isn't bad...if 80% of us can commit to making this place friendlier and not to be quick to hit reply, then this place will change. It can change...

Ok that is all...I am crawling back to the MPS now...
smile.gif

Fishy <><

Just for the record, I love every era... I love U2. Period. If I see that someone has posted a comment that I don't agree with or that I find a little unnecessary- I shrug it off because it's only that person's opinion. I'd like to think I'm a little more mature than they are... after all, it's not like I'm going to change anyone's opinion. I just act like I didn't even read that person's post and go on about my business because that's how little their opinion (or unfavorable comment) meant to me. It's not even worth acknowledging. HOWEVER, we should all take a moment ( as suggested by JessicaAnn) & read through our own comments one more time before we hit that button. It IS about RESPECT! But if someone chooses not to have any for me, I still won't stoop to their level because I've got more respect for myself & all the others that enjoy PLEBA & want it to remain a great place than to show my ass like that person has just done. So, it's about GRACE, too, when someone's trying to push your buttons... don't give them the satisfaction of replying to their nasty comments. Rise above it! They'll end up looking like a fool & you won't. With that said- LOVE YOU ALL
smile.gif

------------------
"... move on this moment... follow this feeling"
~* PLEBA-girl powers: ELEVATE!!! *~

Originally posted by spinninghead77:
However, I do feel that U2 is a very sexual band, and that they have been expressing that over the course of their career. If Bono, and Co. didn't want young women to drool over them
1. maybe I'm just completely nuts, but I really think there is a difference between drooling and posting stuff like:
LARRY: Hi, I'm the new Milkman. Do you want it in the front or the back?
(btw, this is the last time I'm using these quotes)
NEVER has a thread been closed because of drooling

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
I shouldn't probably be posting this, because it'll most likely make a mod or posters mad, but because this is what I am particularly sick of in PLEBA, I'm posting it. I don't care, flame me if you like. I'll probably not even read them anyway.
The problem I have is that once people find out my age, they act very weird about it, don't want to say what they want to, etc. and think they need to tone it down. Well, guess what? Ever since I started coming online when I was 8 I have been treated like an adult because everyone thought I WAS an adult, and I'm used to being treated that way, and now it's changed. And to have my favourite webboard be "toned down" for children that may or may not exist, that bothers me.
I know some people are mature at the age of 12, but it's impossible to moderate a board that way

I'm sorry to say, but if you don't like pleba being toned down a bit (and it's not as if we are deleting every raunchy post) that's just too bad for you
I have become painfully aware over the last few weeks that every decision you take as a mod leaves you with more people disliking than liking you
we just do what we think is best and what (we think) Elvis wants

3. pleba is one of the least moderated forums at feedback because we know that a lot 'goes' around here
because I'm personally not that interested in 50,000 pics I don't check this place that often
I know sicy checks this place a bit more frequent but that is about it
so, if something happens here that you don't like and think that it should be dealt with then MAIL US
that way thinks (like the POP era one) don't need to be blown out of proportion like it has been now

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Alright, Salome forgot to close this after he posted.
tongue.gif

I think we should move on, learn lessons from all this and attempt to be civil to one another.

Thanks for your help and trying to solve the problems here fishy.

LETS JUST BE HAPPY AND STOP FIGHTING!!!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Sicy's FTP