PLEBA Misc News, Stories and Articles #9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with Galeongirl here. Who cares if the people are making a funny video along with the donation? Why does that matter so much to those who are complaining about it? This horrible disease now has so much more awareness in the world now, more than it ever had, or ever would have by people simply saying please donate money. That approach has always been around, but were everyday people and celebrities alike donating and spreading awareness? No. :shrug: People who gripe about things that are creating something positive, just need something to gripe about.

I don't doubt that some of the celebs are using the ice bucket challenge as a means of self promotion, but regardless, a lot of money has been raised and that's a very good thing. I have a close friend with ALS and it is vicious disease. She was a vibrant, active, outrageously funny wife and hands on mother. She's now unable to walk or speak, her husband has to feed her, bathe her, take her to the bathroom. The saddest part is that her mind is still sharp but she's trapped in this lifeless body. So I won't complain about the trendiness of this cause. I welcome it and I do hope U2 will accept the challenge.

Last edited:
i think it's great! if it raises awareness and funds, that's the main thing!

People affected by the disease are saying that it would be better to keep find a long-term solution for funding research and treatment instead of having a short term spectacle, because that's what the challenge has actually become. I'm all for raising awareness for causes, but for my liking it smells too much like self promotion, plus many people have tried to promote other causes that have nothing to do with the original cause while emptying a bottle of ice water over their heads. I'm just sceptical of this kind of hype, because in a few months it will be over and everything will be forgotten again.

Well there's certainly nothing wrong with finding a long-term solution of course, and when someone finds an effective one, that will be great. But regardless, the awareness that has already spread (and money donated) is still a good thing.

And I have also heard people who are affected by the disease who are very supportive of the ice bucket thing, (there's one right here a few comments up) so it goes both ways, people on both sides of the fence either way.

Very sorry about your friend, Regina Filangie :( .

People affected by the disease are saying that it would be better to keep find a long-term solution for funding research and treatment instead of having a short term spectacle, because that's what the challenge has actually become. I'm all for raising awareness for causes, but for my liking it smells too much like self promotion, plus many people have tried to promote other causes that have nothing to do with the original cause while emptying a bottle of ice water over their heads. I'm just sceptical of this kind of hype, because in a few months it will be over and everything will be forgotten again.

the problem with finding a long-term solution is that it is purely down to the drug companies deciding whether they want to invest, i.e. whether it will be profitable (which unfortunately is the problem with many rare disorders)

this awareness-raising campaign is all about the grass-roots, generated by people, not corporations, and i think that is so great...

so many are now aware of this illness, even if the hype blows over in a few months, do you think it would have been better if it had never happened?

i think it's nice that people are sending themselves up, making themselves look like complete clowns, giving everyone a little giggle and making people happy, while supporting something serious - it's nice that anyone can get involved and feel they can contribute somehow...

Kill me but I think she talks way too much about her famous daddy. I love Eve and I think she is very talented actress... Im afraid talking about Bono in every possible interview may make her look like she's trying to build her career using daddy's name to gain recognition.

Kill me but I think she talks way too much about her famous daddy. I love Eve and I think she is very talented actress... Im afraid talking about Bono in every possible interview may make her look like she's trying to build her career using daddy's name to gain recognition.

... Its mainly the reporters and interviewers who start asking about it. Not her. Look at Letterman... It will be and remain one of the first things everyone is gonna mention, even if she wouldn't want to.

Not her fault she's his daughter...

I can only imagine that in acting, people will only give you an even harder time when your daddy is famous...
I know I would.

:shrug:

... Its mainly the reporters and interviewers who start asking about it. Not her. Look at Letterman... It will be and remain one of the first things everyone is gonna mention, even if she wouldn't want to.

Not her fault she's his daughter...

I can only imagine that in acting, people will only give you an even harder time when your daddy is famous...
I know I would.

:shrug:

Well, yes, it seems you're right about the subject usually being brought up by the interviewrs. But Eve seems always more than happy to share the daddy stories and she is very genereous with it :) That encourages further questions.

About giving a hard time to actors who are children of famous people...- I do not necessarily agree with you. There are many film directors who take an easy road to gain more publicity for their movies...
Im not saying Eve's career starts to bloom because of her famous father though.... I really think she is very talented and it's been noticed. But I guess being Bono's daughter can open a few doors as well... Just take a look at her first big movie " This must be the place". She plays along Sean Penn, who happens yo be a very good friend of Bono. Sean has a lot to say in the movie industry... Interesting fact: music used in that movie is by... Gavin Friday...
Coincidence? I don't think so :)
Anyway, she did a really good job in every production she participated in. And ai think this is what matters the most.

Personally I love to hear her Bono stories and I don't see why she shouldn't share these stories if asked by interviewers. It would be weird if she avoided talking about him all the time. It's not like you can deny your famous father or anything. I'm sure she's used to being asked about him, but she has also said in several interviews that she wants to work hard for her career and not rely on a famous parent. I think she's quite cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom