PLEBA Misc News and Articles #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
c'mon ladies - it's not as if he's never worn red lipstick before!! :D

Here's the interview with Eve from the new Rolling Stone. Someone scanned it and sent it to me. It's kind of cute and funny, and she looks so much like her dad in the picture. But there seemed to be some serious rows going on between her and Bono about her acting carreer:

RollingStoneUSA_25October2012_Eve_p_50.jpg

:laugh: Yeah. The part about "you didn't listen to whoever told you that when you were 18! So you're just gonna have to deal with it.", I can so see Bono tell his da that!

:cute: Like father, like daughter.

She sounds like a very self-confident young woman who is trying to go her own way, that's surely the influence of her father's genes right there. BUT I can also understand him. Being in showbiz for almost all his life I think he knows better than most people how tough it can be. If you love your child, you want to protect them from harm, so yes, I can totally see where he's coming from. Bono has probably seen and experienced more things than most other people will. And he knows that it's even tougher for a girl/woman. Ali has said in an interview that she was also against Eve having an acting carreer because she thinks it's such a hard business and there's so much rejection.

She sounds pretty grounded. I mean, even *I* had a car at 18.

So I found this on my Tumblr so take this with a grain of salt:
update:
as well as michael stipe coming along to see my dad’s talk (it was on memory and greek myths or something idk)

guess who was in the front row?

bono

as I said to my dad on the phone just now, ‘that’s really weird, because whilst you will never have any compulsion to see bono perform on stage [we share a hatred of U2 and bono in particular], he came along to see you perform on stage’

weirddd

Pavel I bet.

BUt it's not really weird that she doesn't have a car. It's quite the American thing to have a car by 16 or 18, as far as I know. I barely know any people my age that actually own a car. Maybe a handful. I think the same goes for Ireland, it's just different. We get cars when we live on our own and are done studying so you can afford all the shit around it and stuff like that. Until then I survive with my bike and public transport.

Pavel I bet.

BUt it's not really weird that she doesn't have a car. It's quite the American thing to have a car by 16 or 18, as far as I know. I barely know any people my age that actually own a car. Maybe a handful. I think the same goes for Ireland, it's just different. We get cars when we live on our own and are done studying so you can afford all the shit around it and stuff like that. Until then I survive with my bike and public transport.

True, but when your parents are millionaires, it's likely you have a car at 18, you know?

It might have been Bono. She lives in London according to her profile....

Eve lives in New York. Not sure if and why you would need a car there. I made my license at 18 and I have never owned a car. To this day, I have never felt I needed one. I am not a fan of driving. I walk a lot and take public transport. If I leave town, I take the train. I think it's indeed very American to think everyone should have a car and many people have more than one.

As for Eve, she once said shie isn't handed money at home, she wants to earn her own money and she isn't used to getting things from her parents. She said her parents are quite strict when it comes to financial matters. They never talk about money. She wants to work and not be dependent on her father's name (which, with all respect, will be quite difficult) or his money.

I guess she has to work a bit more in order to be able to afford that car :wink:

I can already see it in my mind:

:bono: No you can NOT drive my Maserati.
Eve: Well then give me my own car.
:bono: :grumpy: No. You earn your own.

Though I do think it's a good thing how the kids were raised. They're not spoiled dumb brats like the Hiltons of various other rich bimbo's.

last unicorn said:
Eve lives in New York. Not sure if and why you would need a car there. I made my license at 18 and I have never owned a car. To this day, I have never felt I needed one. I am not a fan of driving. I walk a lot and take public transport. If I leave town, I take the train. I think it's indeed very American to think everyone should have a car and many people have more than one.

As for Eve, she once said shie isn't handed money at home, she wants to earn her own money and she isn't used to getting things from her parents. She said her parents are quite strict when it comes to financial matters. They never talk about money. She wants to work and not be dependent on her father's name (which, with all respect, will be quite difficult) or his money.

I guess she has to work a bit more in order to be able to afford that car :wink:

I was saying it was refreshing that she was not handed a car. I do not believe you MUST have a car but in many places you need one to get to school or work. I did. And I got mine because it was willed to me - not because it was handed to me. It was a shit box taped together with electrical tape.

I wasn't referring to you. To be honest, I hadn't even read your post about cars when I posted my comment. I was referring to people wondering if her parents would buy her a car, given the money they have and all. Honestly, I don't have the impression that Eve is in Ireland a lot. I'm not sure she needs her own car when she's there. I'm sure she could use her parents' cars as well. She can't be a worse driver than Bono is.

last unicorn said:
I wasn't referring to you. To be honest, I hadn't even read your post about cars when I posted my comment. I was referring to people wondering if her parents would buy her a car, given the money they have and all. Honestly, I don't have the impression that Eve is in Ireland a lot. I'm not sure she needs her own car when she's there. I'm sure she could use her parents' cars as well. She can't be a worse driver than Bono is.

I think that most children of celebrities have a lot handed to them. Like the Paris Hilton's and what not. And seeing Bono's childhood I would understand why he'd want to give his kids everything. It's good to see him show restraint.

it must be a real dilemma in their position! if they give the kids everything they need/want they get criticised and if they don't they still get criticised lol!!

as a mum, it feels like a privilege to me to have my kids and spoil them rotten when i can - i kind of feel if we as their parents don't do that, they don't have any one else there who will... we don't have much spare cash at all though so we're definitely not over the top and my kids definitely aren't really spoilt lol, but when money comes in i don't think twice about treating my kids, and mostly they save up their pocket money to buy stuff anyway... i guess it's a balance though - my kids don't get spoilt all the time, but i do love to treat them when i can (i don't spend on crap, well, i do a little bit - they had their fair share of plastic toys and crap when they were little lol - they have things like good musical instruments and equipment these days - they're really into music and play in a band together, so most of their "treats" are very constructive)

the most important thing is that they know they are totally and utterly loved and that their parents will be there for them... but it still makes me happy to get them little treats though... however, there's absolutely no chance of us ever over doing it and turning them into real spoilt little rich brats which should be avoided at all costs LOL

re. following an acting career... i think it's just parents being protective...

however, i grew up very artistic but very academic and my parents put a lot of pressure on me to be a doctor or a lawyer or something, whereas i was torn between wanting to work with horses, or go into theatre - both were ok and tolerated as a hobby by my parents but there was NO WAY i was ever allowed to seriously contemplate attempting to have a career in horses or theatre if they had anything to do with it - it makes me sad even now to think they were so unsupportive with those dreams, because they were serious dreams back then... anyway, in the end i rebelled quite badly, and did my own thing anyway but there was a lot of resentment and lack of understanding on both sides really... and because of the way i am, i don't want to put my kids under that same pressure, and i want them to follow their dreams - life's too short... sure, i want them to do well academically, but most of all i want them to be happy and find something that they love doing and that makes them happy...

It's quite the American thing to have a car by 16 or 18, as far as I know. I barely know any people my age that actually own a car. Maybe a handful. I think the same goes for Ireland, it's just different. We get cars when we live on our own and are done studying so you can afford all the shit around it and stuff like that. Until then I survive with my bike and public transport.

It's the wealthy American thing, lol. I didn't have a car until I was 22 and that was because I got married and my husband had a used one he was paying off from his dad. Yes, most upper middle class and upper class kids get cars but in the larger picture they are really in the minority. I was able to get through high school and college on my own without a car and without public transportation.

You know I wouldn't mind even if she were spoiled, and in a way she is and always has been because she will never have to worry about whether she can afford to see a doctor for an important health test or whether she can pay the next heat bill on time. It's not just having lots of money and possessions but not having those worries and stress eat at you every day. If I won the lottery the first thing I'd do is not run out and buy something but pay off my medical bill. But I say good for them! Everything they have Bono et al have built for themselves. Nothing was handed to U2. They worked for it and I'm sure have made sacrifices we don't know about so if they want to spoil their kids and their future grandkids I think nothing of it. If my parents could have afforded to give me a car do you think I'd have turned it down? No! If Bono wants to spoil his baby girl he can go ahead and do it.

i'm not sure if this is an urban myth, but i heard that when John Lennon was at school, his teacher asked everyone what they wanted to be when they grew up, and Lennon said "happy" :heart:

:up:

totally agree!

he's the only dad she's got so it's his job to spoil her rotten :D

what i don't understand is those really mega-rich self-made people who say they refuse to leave their children a penny, so they will have to work for it, like they did - i seriously cannot get my head around that - that must really fuck their kids up?! i think it's nice to be able to help your kids out in life...

Well to be honest, I do understand it. It's not like they leave them without a penny. It's more that they'll take care of their basic needs, and the kids will have to do the rest. Teaches them responisibility and rather than bimbo's as Paris Hilton that the world doesn't revolve around them and everything doesn't come as easy. If you start spoiling a kid from a young age, give it everything it wants, it'll never accept it if it can't get what it wants. And it'll want more, and more. And you get spoiled brats that even as adults act like spoiled kids.

I'm pretty sure that her parents do give her stuff. I mean, she lives in NY, London, who pays for the house? The flights? I'd guess that at least her parents chip in on stuff like that.

Well to be honest, I do understand it. It's not like they leave them without a penny. It's more that they'll take care of their basic needs, and the kids will have to do the rest. Teaches them responisibility and rather than bimbo's as Paris Hilton that the world doesn't revolve around them and everything doesn't come as easy. If you start spoiling a kid from a young age, give it everything it wants, it'll never accept it if it can't get what it wants. And it'll want more, and more. And you get spoiled brats that even as adults act like spoiled kids.

I'm pretty sure that her parents do give her stuff. I mean, she lives in NY, London, who pays for the house? The flights? I'd guess that at least her parents chip in on stuff like that.

no, really, there are genuinely people out there who refuse to leave their children a penny - i'm not talking about the Hiltons etc...

i've seen that happen to family friends - the remaining parent left everything to the housekeeper in their case - it was very damaging to the children, although i think they did try to fight it...

i think upbringing has much more impact on how a child turns out, rather than money - you can still be a generous loving parent while teaching your child important values...

and on the other hand, some children can have all the money and things they want but may be unloved - i don't think money is necessarily the problem or the solution to anything really...

it's all about ensuring that there's balance in all of the different aspects of parenting...

I believe that to be the daughter of his father will be a big handicap for her ... On one side she gets, thanks to him, an article in Rolling Stone magazine, for well... nothing... she only made a support act in an old movie now, great publicity by the way, and on the other side everyone wait her around the corner for everything she'll do! She made a video appearance in some videos too and another "daughter of" began the same way, Liv Tyler! So, there is hope that she makes a career.

One last thing, personaly I want to make my own money too! I don't want to live on my parents's, Eve is like everyone else! That's normal!

Back
Top Bottom