PLEBA Misc News and Articles #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really not trying to defend Bono or Edge or anyone and I think there has been some really bad stuff going down behind the scenes of Spiderman, but reading that article I can't help but think that Taymor was indeed very difficult to work with.

Ms. Taymor developed the show over several years with its composers, Bono an the Edge of U2. In their filing on Tuesday, the producers included excerpts from several derisive e-mails about Ms. Taymor written by the other creators of the show, including Bono; the e-mails were included in a section of the lawsuit that sought to portray Ms. Taymor in breach of contract because of her difficulty as a collaborator on the show.

Bono, who worked with Ms. Taymor to develop “Spider-Man” for several years and had once called her “my close friend,” wrote an e-mail last Jan. 7 criticizing her for “shooting ideas down before taking time to understand them,” according to the producers’ lawsuit. (Bono wrote the score of the musical with his band mate the Edge.)

Glen Berger, a playwright Ms. Taymor had hired to help her write the “Spider-Man” script, wrote to a colleague on the show last Jan. 20 that Ms. Taymor had threatened to stop collaborating with him if he sided with the producers over ideas to change and possibly improve the musical.

Referring to the producers, Mr. Berger wrote: “If they want to know what my ideas are, damn straight I’m going to tell them my ideas — they have every right in the world to know. And yeah, Julie forbade me from telling them, and said she wouldn’t be able to work with me if I started telling other people my ideas, or if I even started bringing them up to her. That was wrong of her.”

That doesn't sound like it was an easy collaboration or that Taymor was particularly understanding when it came to the difficulties of the musical and the ideas of the producers in order to improve it.

There's nothing mean about Bono's e-mail, he just raises concern about issues everyone should be alarmed about when in a collaboration with someone who's trying to prevent the others from developing and realising their ideas.

Sounds like a lot of frustration to me and I can understand both sides.

But what do I know? I only find it really sad that their friendship has suffered from all of this, and I think B and Edge still do love her very much and I absolutely don't think they wish any harm on her. It's unfortunate that things ended up this way.

i don't know, but she obviously feels she is entitled to royalties if her work is still in there which is totally understandable - she's seen the show so i guess she would recognise her own work...

it makes me sad really, she's up against the big guns now and they're looking like they're trying to destroy her when she clearly doesn't deserve all of the blame... i think it reflects very badly indeed...

:applaud:

I'm really not trying to defend Bono or Edge or anyone and I think there has been some really bad stuff going down behind the scenes of Spiderman, but reading that article I can't help but think that Taymor was indeed very difficult to work with.

That doesn't sound like it was an easy collaboration or that Taymor was particularly understanding when it came to the difficulties of the musical and the ideas of the producers in order to improve it.

There's nothing mean about Bono's e-mail, he just raises concern about issues everyone should be alarmed about when in a collaboration with someone who's trying to prevent the others from developing and realising their ideas.

Sounds like a lot of frustration to me and I can understand both sides.

But what do I know? I only find it really sad that their friendship has suffered from all of this, and I think B and Edge still do love her very much and I absolutely don't think they wish any harm on her. It's unfortunate that things ended up this way.

i don't think the quote from Bono's email was mean either, but i do think it was a bit late in the day to be suggesting ideas - those who were meant to be closely involved with the show should actually have been onboard and present at rehearsals watching how the show was unfolding WEEKS before it got to previews back in November when changes could be made calmly before things got really fraught...

but i do understand Bono and Edge couldn't be there what with tour commitments and Spider-Man had been delayed zillions of times... must've been a logistical nightmare really...

Amy Lee (from Evanescence) posted this on twitter about 1 hour ago:

https://twitter.com/#!/AmyLeeEV/status/160890161524256768

sadly she's not talking about our Edge. I did a little research and they are doing a show in Arkansas tonight. So why one earth would he be there? I thought that would be an odd spot for him, so I googled "the edge Arkansas" and this came up:

100.3 The Edge - 100.3 The Edge -- New Rock for Little Rock

radio station :flirt: We used to have a radio station here called "the edge."

ahhh!!!! I thought he was at Evanescence gig. thank you!!
Anyway..he's on the USA these days (see Misc pictures mix thread!)

ahhh!!!! I thought he was at Evanescence gig. thank you!!
Anyway..he's on the USA these days (see Misc pictures mix thread!)

yeah I saw that pic. Thanks for posting it! I was actually just curious as to what state he was in which is why I went to Evanescense's webpage. Once I saw they were in AR I knew there was something mysterious about her post!

Haha, when was the last time our boys were in the deep South? They seem to much prefer the coast-- especially the East one!

ALl this Spiderman brouhahas doesn't really affect our favorite duo, I hope. It's for the producers and fiscal side to dirty their hands with. Of coutse taymor wants a cut of what is now a huge Broadway success. Anyway, I hope they don't waste album-making time going to court or anything else over this Spiderman deal. (I'd rather B be raising awareness for Africa and stuff, if not album-making).

Bono emailing... Bono at work... just turns me on! :hyper:

The Muppets, Rio Score Only Oscar Song Nominations (WTF Happened?!)
Here's how the system works (according to what we've read at Billboard and Slate, among other sources): This year, 39 original movie songs were deemed eligible for an Oscar shortlist, each tune written especially for its film, and each one appearing prominently and substantively within a scene or as the first song of a credits sequence.

That shortlist -- a batch of songs that included pieces written by Mary J. Blige, The National, Elton John, among others-- were put to the Academy's Music Branch. That group is a voting body made up of 236 people, Slate notes, and here's a fun fact for you: Bryan Adams is one of the guys who gets to cast a vote. Same goes for The Edge from U2.

While I am happy that Madonna did not make the cut - I was really hoping Chris Cornell's The Keeper from Machine Gun Preacher would make the list. And I love Jason Segel.....but Muppets????

That song was one of the best parts of that new Muppet movie. And Jason Segel is my hero for bringing the Muppets back to pop culture, even if just for a little while. :heart:

While I am happy that Madonna did not make the cut - I was really hoping Chris Cornell's The Keeper from Machine Gun Preacher would make the list. And I love Jason Segel.....but Muppets????

off the subject: it seems that I am a Jason Segel lookalike! :wink: I didn' know him until a american girl said this to me last summer, so i've checked How I Met Your Mother and it's a little true...

The photos they are taking there will be seen at the WEF:

Series of portraits of global fund supporters – including Zachie Achmat, Tony Blair, Bono, Gro Harlem Brundtland, President Bill Clinton, Bill Gates, Dr Milly Katana, Ban Ki-Moon, Thandie Newton, Mphu Ramatlapeng, Jeff Sachs, and Yoshiro Mori to be unveiled at World Economic Forum.

Jeesus,I sometimes wish that there was no commenting options anywhere. As soon as there is some mention of Bono,off go the haters.God's sake!! :doh:

They troll the internet waiting for some mention so they can pounce, because they literally have nothing better to do. Sad life :shrug:

They troll the internet waiting for some mention so they can pounce, because they literally have nothing better to do. Sad life :shrug:

I know, that really does seem to be the case! :crack: I mean, there are plenty of celebs that rub me the wrong, but I have neither the time nor the energy to start going around bad mouthing them at every opportunity!! :huh:

Jeesus,I sometimes wish that there was no commenting options anywhere. As soon as there is some mention of Bono,off go the haters.God's sake!! :doh:

Maybe I missed something here. Who is "hating" on Bono? Are you making reference to the "Peter and the Wolf" reference in the Victoria Beckham link?
The way that I read that article is that the Irish Hospice website crashed because people were trying to find out more about the book.

It doesn't say that they were trashing Bono - just trying to find out more about the book. Maybe they wanted to order the book set (it's a GREAT project - everybody should have a copy of "Peter and the Wolf" by Bono, Gavin Friday & all)?

What would be wrong in people wanting to support the Irish Hospice people by ordering copies of this project? I don't understand why y'all are so angry?
Please enlighten me. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTsTwIHfRME

:bono::hug:

What would be wrong in people wanting to support the Irish Hospice people by ordering copies of this project? I don't understand why y'all are so angry?
Please enlighten me. Thanks.

Because trashing Bono is the coolest thing in the whole world. I mean, look at him - he's an arsehole!
I don't know why I joined this forum in the first place...

:wink:
(I scared you, huh? :lol:)

They were refering to the comments below the article. If you scroll down, there's a white blank, and then those stupid comments.
It's obvious that some people repeat what they hear without fully understanding what they're saying (or even why they're saying it), you know. The only thing we can do is take pity on them :rolleyes:

I'm a slow typer. To Jamila:

:doh: Did I mention any specific article? No.
My post was just me complaining about commentators on the bottom of every single article that has been out there.I know that normal,sane person does not read comments,but I sometimes want to know what people think.So far it has been all banging the same drum:Bono is a sunglasses wearing asshole billionaire who does'nt pay taxes etc.THAT pisses me off.Like secretly alone said,they just wait for a chance and pounce.
And a bit off topic,but not that much-Couple of days ago someone let a havoc loose on YouTube,posting a comment that Bono is dead. It was mayhem there :banghead:

^ Well, in that case it's the same, really. You could've been talking about any article, since almost every article including the word 'Bono' is full of lame comments :tsk:

^ Well, in that case it's the same, really. You could've been talking about any article, since almost every article including the word 'Bono' is full of lame comments :tsk:

My point exactly. :up:

I think we should all just live our lives & leave others alone. If they're making mistakes, life will turn around on them. Becoming the monster in order to defeat the monster seems to go against everything U2 believes in!

Isn't that the meaning of "CoeXisT"?:hmm:

Peace :heart:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom