PLEBA Misc News and Articles #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is my message again for all those who never read it:

I said that Bono himself and his management tend to portray and image of being a male bimbo. I do not think, or never have thought, that he is thick in the slightest. It's you lot who make him sound a dumbass. "Oh, Ali has 5 children including Bono, and he needs her to tell her how to dress :lol:" "Oh. He never realised that waiting 9 years will exacerbate himself :lol:" and lets not forget this: "Oh, Bono believes that ampules of heavily diluted water costing £20 will bring miracles :lol:". It's folks on here who give such a bad reputation because the man that you are talking I would have no respect for.

Bono could have been prime minister, says Tony Blair
Former prime minister claims in memoir that U2 frontman could have ended up in No 10 if he hadn't chosen pop over politics

reddit this
Comments (218)
Sean Michaels
guardian.co.uk, Friday 3 September 2010 10.42 BST
Article history

'An inspirational speaker'... Tony Blair on Bono of U2. Photograph: Getty Images
In a memoir filled with profound navel-gazing, political bombshells and a few purple-prose love scenes, Tony Blair has also found time to salute U2's activist frontman, claiming he "could be ... prime minister".

Blair's new book, A Journey, is the hottest thing in bookshops this week. It captures the government equivalent of band in-fighting – Brown and Blair like the Gallagher brothers – and even Blair's struggle with alcohol. But it's also got a tiny bit of real rock stardom, particularly in a passage on Bono.

On page 555 (via Spinner), Blair praises Bono as pop's answer to Barack Obama – someone who could cross party lines and get things done. "I knew he would work with George [W Bush] well, and with none of the prissy disdain of most of his ilk," Blair writes. "[Bono] could have been a president or prime minister standing on his head. He had an absolutely natural gift for politicking, was great with people, very smart and an inspirational speaker ... [He was] motivated by an abundant desire to keep on improving, never really content or relaxed.

Although he doesn't name his favourite U2 album, Blair does recall anti-Thatcher concerts by Red Wedge in the late 80s. "There was a group of musicians ... fronted by people like Paul Weller and Billy Bragg, who came out and campaigned for us," he writes. "It was great. But I remember saying after one of their gigs ... 'We need to reach the people listening to Duran Duran and Madonna.' ... [The idea] went down like a cup of sick."

Celebrities, Blair explains, "can reinforce, even boost [a political] message ... What they can't do, of course, is substitute for the politics ... but properly used, they help. And frankly, given the difficulty in rousing the damn thing, [Labour] needed the help." Perhaps U2 could write a new soundtrack for Blair's audiobook.

PHP:
I can't insert the picture. What does this represent =?
PHP:

Jiggawha???

ew-3c-1.gif

Ronaldo, U2's Bono and The Edge Share Stage, Sing Rolling Stones at Brazilian Bar (Video)
by John Beattie on Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 3:30PM
Do you like this story?
So a singer, a retired soccer legend and the world's most recognizable guitarist walk into a bar...
Heard this one before?
Earlier this week, soccer legend Ronaldo was spotted singing live karaoke at a Brazilian bar with U2 front men Bono and The Edge.
Ronaldo even serenaded the crowd with "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones. To see what else the trio belted out, check the video below.

Liam Gallagher: ‘I’m Not Turning into %$&#! Bono’
Michael Wright | 04.12.2011
It’s safe to say that, to this point in his career, Liam Gallagher has not been accused of being a spiritual man. His much-publicized bust-ups with his brother Noel and anyone else who would have a go are the stuff of rock and roll legend. But now, with three children in tow and a new band underway, Gallagher says he’s branching out.

“I'm a spiritual kinda guy,” the Beady Eye frontman told The Times—adding, “I'm not wearing a sheet and walking down the street banging a tambourine. And I'm not turning into (expletive) Bono. It's private. But I'm connected, man. To something.”

Part of his spiritual awakening is tied into being a father:

"In my pram I was a rock star. But I'm older now. I don't wanna grow up like a (expletive). I don't want to get to 40 and embarrass my kids.”

The former Oasis singer says that he is living a much healthier lifestyle these days, as well.

“I don't want to sound like a hippy, but it's great. I run. World to myself. Birds. Trees. No hassle from idiots. With golf, I love making proper contact with that ball. I'm still on the fish. Sardines or salmon. Salad. I feel good. It's only the cigarettes that really stand in me way.”

Liam Gallagher picks on Bono

By 3am's Clemmie Moodie and Danielle Lawler 19/03/2010

Liam Gallagher's trying to pick a fight. Again.

This time he's taken a swipe at Bono for not "dressing himself".

He tells GQ Style: "I can tell bands who've been styled a mile off. U2? There's no way you bought that jacket is there, Bono? Coldplay? They're at it, too."

A bit rich coming from a man who's got his own fashion line.

Check this out

OOps sorry. It's just that I'm googling news related to Bono and people used to fancy such as Liam Gallagher. I found an article about Bono's reaction when Ireland were unfairly dumped out of the FIFA WorldCup 2010. Does this mean that Bono no longer likes Thierry Henry?

I guess all the hugs and kisses at the opening were for show.

Nominations for the Tonys are early May. They have to get something....

Okay this one works for me, thanks! :up: But how much you wanna bet Ms Taymor wouldn't have filed any lawsuit had the show not become so successful?! :tsk:

i don't know, but she obviously feels she is entitled to royalties if her work is still in there which is totally understandable - she's seen the show so i guess she would recognise her own work...

it makes me sad really, she's up against the big guns now and they're looking like they're trying to destroy her when she clearly doesn't deserve all of the blame... i think it reflects very badly indeed...

i don't know, but she obviously feels she is entitled to royalties if her work is still in there which is totally understandable - she's seen the show so i guess she would recognise her own work...

it makes me sad really, she's up against the big guns now and they're looking like they're trying to destroy her when she clearly doesn't deserve all of the blame... i think it reflects very badly indeed...

Yeah, I guess we'll never know! But as you say, if she has a case, it's not going to reflect very well on Bono and Edge! And one guess who's gonna get all the blame for the mess once the tabloids get a hold of this news story?! :slant:

Back
Top Bottom