PLEBA Misc News and Articles #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey, it's what you get when you schedule a meeting at 11pm. I'm not sure how useful I'd be either. :shrug:

Maybe his supermodels have super powers - they were there so he could absorb their mutant energy and be alert at 11 pm.

Perhaps Ms. Turlington no longer has the powers of her youth. Next time he should bring 10 more, just in case.

Maybe his supermodels have super powers - they were there so he could absorb their mutant energy and be alert at 11 pm.

Perhaps Ms. Turlington no longer has the powers of her youth. Next time he should bring 10 more, just in case.

Or younger models? Perhaps their powers wane over time and age.....

Yes. They may still be freakishly beautiful, but their magical powers? Gone once they hit 25.

:lol: I think this story should get round the press a bit more.....it might get Bono more cudos...to be finally doing the rockstar thing!

Finally....after 30 plus years U2 are finally being reckless and turning up incapable for a meeting with a handful of models hanging onto his arm :lol:

I wonder what will be next.....Larry caught smoking in a public bar...tut tut tut...outrageous:lol:

Bono turning up at a meeting with models and a few beer too many? :lol:

Some fans will LOVE to hear that because many here think Bono isn't rockstar enough.

Come on, that's not the right way to behave, Mr. Rockstar, but if a few beers make him "useless", he really isn't used to drinking a lot is he? Some people become better with meetings and stuff after drinking a bit, I've always thought Bono was a brilliant rhetoric when he's had a few.

Seriously, it sucks but one occasion doesn't make the man totally "unprofessional", as Taymor obviously likes to put it. Plus, where's Edge in all of this? It's a nasty, ugly thing to happen between the three of them, but to me it sounds like Taymor has a personal thing going on here and is trying to dig up some dirty laundry. Whatever really happened (which we don't know) - this is just getting very ugly and I wish they'd found some other way to sort this out instead of going into this kind of public badmouthing. Ugh.

This and some other things brought up in Taymor's claims bugged me.

Showing up drunk is never good but more than a few beers are acquired to be rendered useless, this must then in reality means a helluva a lot of beers and more.
Was Bono really acquired for the "plan X" (Bond theme) to be revealed to Taymor? Why didn't the others make the reveal? What happened with the later meeting, why weren't that held?

I haven't been able to read throughly the whole answer to the counterclaims but there were some questions coming to my mind.

Where the private e-mails between Bono, Edge and Berger given to Taymor's lawyers since they know exactly what they are saying?

Also were every meeting of anyone involved in this recorded since Taymor's lawyers recite those word-by-word?

joinadamclaytonforwalki.jpg

Aww, he looks like a boy here! I must check this campaign out!

Guys, I;m just so glad out duo (and just our band) isn't fighting among themselves. I won;t get my panties up in a bunch over this, it's probably just anyther lawsuit on their hands. Them rich people problems. Why should this be any different from Edge's Malibu lawsuit? I'm sure he doens't wake up sweating this.

Although the version of drunk Bono seems to come from 20 years ago. Didn't he prance around with Christie Turlington back during Achtung Baby days? (B and Adam sharing Christie...:hmm:). Don't know how true it is, but it's a hoot!

Julie Taymor has claimed that the producers of the ill-fated Spider-Man musical 'fraudulently induced' her to work on the musical whilst they plotted to oust her from the project and U2's Bono and The Edge were in on the act, she has alleged. On February 17, 2012, it was reported that Taymor had won damages worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, as she took the show's producers to court, claiming that she had not been compensated for the work that she had done on the musical prior to her dismissal. She was also successful in claiming future earnings from the show, which had been significantly altered since her departure.

A report from the Los Angeles Times, published online on March 2, 2012, states that Taymor's lawyers have now filed papers in response to a counter-sue from the show's producers. The Times has obtained a copy of the 46-page document and her lawyers have stated that a plan was in existence "to make changes to the musical without Taymor's knowledge during the show's preview period." They also claim that the plan was developed in secret by the co-writer Glen Berger and set designer George Tsypin, who then ensured that Bono and The Edge were on their side, as the writers of the show's musical score.
< According to Los Angeles Times, the lawyers representing Spider-Man's producers have said in a statement that they believe it is "very disheartening for the former director of the show to take no responsibility for the consequences of her actions while, at the same time, trying to claim credit for the show's success."

That last quote is very telling. :hmm:

This article answered one of my questions about the word-by-word transcript of one of the meetings. :hmm: Is it normal procedure to have someone record meetings about creative processes within Broadway? The article doesn't say if Taymor asked for the meeting to be recorded. I guess if she did that means that she already felt that she wasn't safe.

To respond to the several questions about Edge's role in these meetings, if one reads this article completely they'll see that Taymor is stating that Edge WAS at these meetings & that he was left to absorb most of the responsibility of the revisions that U2 made to STOTD because of Bono's behavior. :ohmy:

We have all seen in previous creative endeavors of theirs that Edge HAS burdened a lot of the responsibility for the endeavor succeeding. So if Taymor is probably telling the truth in parts of her allegations, what would make you think she's not telling the whole truth throughout her allegations?

She has nothing to gain if she's lying but everything to gain if she's telling the truth. Think about it. :up:

And Edge did have a personal stake in it. I heard he had invested some money, but Bono had not.

Whatever it is, it sounds nasty but the creative process is never pretty. No one comes off well. Taymor whining 'It's not ME....it's everyone else' sounds a bit childish like 'all my teachers hate me'. Maybe they hate you because you are a screw off.

I have to admit that I giggled when I thought of Bono walking into this very serious meeting being all tipsy and 'I love you man'. But he's not Tim Rice - he's Bono.

Taymor is certainly NOT a "screw off" - she is a very intelligent, capable & independent woman - not unlike the one that Bono married.

It appears that the B-man may have underestimated the tenacity of this woman which is a BIG mistake. Not everybody worships at the altar of Bono. :laugh:

To respond to the several questions about Edge's role in these meetings, if one reads this article completely they'll see that Taymor is stating that Edge WAS at these meetings & that he was left to absorb most of the responsibility of the revisions that U2 made to STOTD because of Bono's behavior. :ohmy:

We have all seen in previous creative endeavors of theirs that Edge HAS burdened a lot of the responsibility for the endeavor succeeding. So if Taymor is probably telling the truth in parts of her allegations, what would make you think she's not telling the whole truth throughout her allegations?

She has nothing to gain if she's lying but everything to gain if she's telling the truth. Think about it. :up:

i don't know if the NYT article is wholly accurate in that respect, Jamila - that may just be speculation by the writer...

according to Taymor's countersuit claims, The Edge was pretty much MIA most of the time as well... there appears to be just one meeting listed (Feb 26, 2011) where the Edge was present and Bono phoned in from Switzerland...

the whole thing is here:

taymor

and here is an excerpt re. BOTH Bono and Edge's absence:

Bono and Edge Failed to Attend Preview Performances and Were Distracted by Other Commitments

As work on the Book of the Musical progressed, it became obvious that one of the most significant impediments to the show’s potential success was the music and lyrics—in particular, the disconnect between the music and the rest of the show. Early reviews from theater-goers and critics alike frequently emphasized the inability of the music to clarify or aid the story or to help the characters emotionally connect with the audience.

During this critical period for any new musical preceding the official opening of the show—one in which even veteran Broadway composers are almost always present and actively involved—Taymor continuously reached out to Bono and Edge in an effort to get them to deliver improved music and lyrics. On December 14, 2010, for example, Taymor wrote an e-mail to Bono and Edge stating: A lot is happening. It is getting clearer. The show is running more smoothly. But clarity in the last third is still the issue. We are working hard on it. A major rewrite of LOVE ME KILL ME is happening. But we all believe that the BOY FALLS needs a major rethinking or rejiggering of the lyrics. . . . t is too baffling for the audience. It does not clearly state where Peter is or is going.

On December 19, Taymor again wrote to Bono and Edge: It is nine pm in NYC. I am just about to sit down to a home cooked meal. I have been at it on [Spider-Man] nonstop. Glen has as well. We are writing lyrics, lines of dialogue, changes in music – all in service to the ending, to clarity. We know what the story is, we understand the stakes – but we do not have the lyrics to support it. I would like to talk to you before midnight my time – after I eat – to go over the situation and beg for lyrics. We have sold out houses. Though there are issues of cueing etc,the first act works very well. The second act is better but the ending is still vague. .We need you. It is not easy to change anything but now I think it is a matter of lyrical and musical changes – and perhaps cutting a scene or two from the second act. Call me to discuss.

Taymor continued to send e-mails to Bono and Edge throughout December 2010 and January 2011 as she tirelessly worked on improving the Musical:

December 29: “our second act has many different issues. . . .”
January 19: “I need to talk to you about the new song.”
January 22: “What is the situation on the new material?”
January 23: “I need to talk to you.”

Taymor’s efforts to get Bono and Edge to focus on improving the music and lyrics for the Musical met with limited success. Instead, while Taymor and other members of the creative team had been present daily for months of intensive rehearsals and previews, Bono and Edge had been on a concert tour with their band U2. Upon information and belief, the U2 tour became one of the highest-grossing concert tours of all time. As the producers knew, Bono’s and Edge’s absences caused them to miss all of the Musical’s rehearsals, most of the technical rehearsals, and the entire first month of preview performances—all at great cost to the timely improvements to the Musical that all agreed needed to be made.

Upon information and belief, it was not until early January 2011 that Bono first came to New York and saw a live performance of the show. Even once in New York, Bono and Edge participated in the creative process of improving the show on a limited basis and were frequently distracted.

Moreover, while in January 2011 Taymor continued working feverishly to fix the show, Bono stayed in New York for less than two weeks before quickly turning his focus to other endeavors, including working on a new U2 album.

Bono and Edge have since publicly expressed regret about their absence from the production during this time.

The producers’ effort to hold Taymor responsible for damages for failing to make improvements to the show as an author ignores the reality that the conduct of Bono and Edge— the Musical’s other primary creative team members—severely hampered timely improvements to the Musical.

In January and February 2011, Taymor repeatedly requested that Bono and Edge—who were rarely in town—deliver the improved music and lyrics that had been discussed at the January 4 meeting. On the rare occasions that Bono and Edge were in town during this time, Taymor worked with them as much as possible on changes to the show

Taymor is certainly NOT a "screw off" - she is a very intelligent, capable & independent woman - not unlike the one that Bono married.

It appears that the B-man may have underestimated the tenacity of this woman which is a BIG mistake. Not everybody worships at the altar of Bono. :laugh:

:up:

she's not exactly Lola Cashman either (thank god!) - Taymor has a hard-earned reputation to protect as well as the resources and desire to do so... she's a big wig in her field, and i'm glad to see she's standing up for herself and not letting herself be pushed around or silenced

And Edge did have a personal stake in it. I heard he had invested some money, but Bono had not.

Whatever it is, it sounds nasty but the creative process is never pretty. No one comes off well. Taymor whining 'It's not ME....it's everyone else' sounds a bit childish like 'all my teachers hate me'. Maybe they hate you because you are a screw off.

I have to admit that I giggled when I thought of Bono walking into this very serious meeting being all tipsy and 'I love you man'. But he's not Tim Rice - he's Bono.

i think Taymor is "whining" (as you put it), because basically the boys didn't pull their weight, left her in the lurch and then blamed HER for it LOL

All I was saying (and I agree with the whole - you bit off more than you can chew Bono) is that from what I had read, she was placing blame on everyone else. Granted, I have not sat down to read the entire thing. I guess this goes to show you that unless you really have the time to invest in making a musical, you might want to stick with what you know. As an avid lover of musicals, I was certainly hesitant how Bono as a lyricist could handle telling a large scale-well known story. And according to Taymor - not very well. But it sounds like the original book was very obscure to begin with. But then again, I would not expect the lyrical brilliance of Tim Rice to flow from Bono.

:up:

she's not exactly Lola Cashman either (thank god!) - Taymor has a hard-earned reputation to protect as well as the resources and desire to do so... she's a big wig in her field, and i'm glad to see she's standing up for herself and not letting herself be pushed around or silenced

:wink:

I'll simply re-interate what I said before:

Julie Taymor has nothing to win if she's lying & EVERYTHING to win if she's telling the truth.

I can not wait until this goes to trial. :applaud:

I can not wait until this goes to trial. :applaud:

i really really hope it doesn't get to that point tbh - it would be nice if they could sort it out fairly between themselves somehow...

Sounds to me like they got in over their heads with all this and that their responsibilities in the band were more important to them so they spent more time there. Big surprise. It was in the middle of the tour. :shrug:

GraceRyan said:
Taymor whining 'It's not ME....it's everyone else' sounds a bit childish like 'all my teachers hate me'. Maybe they hate you because you are a screw off.

And this. All else aside, whether her version wasn't good enough (guess it wasn't) and whether she deserves to be paid her share ( she does)...her handling of this is completely pathetic. The finger pointing and temper tantrums and flinging accusations...embarrassing.

I think I wish their post firing interviews had been a little less finger pointing. They did fault themselves but they did kind of toss her under the bus. I guess it all boils down to what changes they wanted and what she was willing to concede to.

Back
Top Bottom