PLEBA Misc News and Articles #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sad thing is,in our country,homeless people are mostly drunks,addicts and dirty and stinking bums who raid peoples garbage bins for food and empty bottles to get money to by vodka and cheap au de cologne(sp?) and mostly spend their days buzzing in parkbenches and in busstations. Some of them are perfectly capable to have a job but they are imbibed with alcohol and if somebody gets hired for some job,they are gone after the first payday. Of course I'm not saying that there are no decent people amongst them just being thrown under the wheels of life,there are,but minority.

It's pretty much people with very heavy drug addictions that hang around in city streets of Norway. There are those who are trying to work themselves back to normal life by selling magazines that are made for the purpose of helping recovering addicts. They have that in the UK too.

The youths that my friend was commenting about wasn't addicts, they looked more like the youths in the trailer for The Break. This is not common in Norway (if existing at all) because we have a strong welfare system. The sad thing is that there are business owners who frowns about young graduates, saying that their university studies are worthless.

I've never seen him look rough, not even in those old 90s tv-clips where he's drunk does he look rough. He's face is always so smooth and calm looking. :love:

'I wanted to find the right answer to the question, 'How do we respond to homelessness?' Edge told U2.com, in Dublin to talk about his vision for The Break. 'I wanted to get an intelligent audience to think differently about homeless people, to realise that so many of the cliches are untrue...'

This reminded me of a snide comment about young homeless made by a friend of mine.
I was visiting him in UK and I was surprised at seeing really young healthy looking people beg for money in the streets. I never seen that in Norway, beggars here looks like they been through some really heavy shit.
He told me that I shouldn't give them any money because they were nothing but lazy spoiled bastards. :sad:
I hope The Break will work as The Edge is hoping for here.
Really, watching 'The Break' 's clip, I found it strange these young people without a 'poor' appearence, are in this situation, but everything could be. I understand the intention, i don't understand the way. 'Cause usually I watch on tv stuff just already prepared in advance, I feel it's something of kind, I don't know. Where they took these three boy and girls? There are only questions I make to myself, nothing else.... Is it the show biz where all it's false but it's like true?? I hope really to be wrong. It would be a pity.

Really, watching 'The Break' 's clip, I found it strange these young people without a 'poor' appearence, are in this situation, but everything could be. I understand the intention, i don't understand the way. 'Cause usually I watch on tv stuff just already prepared in advance, I feel it's something of kind, I don't know. Where they took these three boy and girls? There are only questions I make to myself, nothing else.... Is it the show biz where all it's false but it's like true?? I hope really to be wrong. It would be a pity.

There's a lot of young people who are made redundant or can't get a job at all. All healthy normal people.
Many southern-Europeans are immigrating up to Norway now in hope of getting a job, the reality that meets them is mostly harsh, Norway is a extremely expensive country to live in and those who get a job often end up with a low paid job, sometimes illegal without a proper contract.

There's a lot of young people who are made redundant or can't get a job at all. All healthy normal people.
Many southern-Europeans are immigrating up to Norway now in hope of getting a job, the reality that meets them is mostly harsh, Norway is a extremely expensive country to live in and those who get a job often end up with a low paid job, sometimes illegal without a proper contract.
i'm expressed in a wrong way sorry. I know what kind of situation could strike people, over all young people who have more difficult to rise up :) . But when I read about it I thought "Oh God hope it isn't like reality where all is decided before". :D

We don't see a lot of homeless people in Finland living on the streets, maybe more down south in Helsinki but not here, main reason being, it's too fringing cold! And also because Finland looks after our poor and needy. But doesn't mean to say we don't have homeless people coz we do, but they stay at government run facilities until they can stand on their own and get a place, although some, due to alcohol and drug abuse, never do. And unfortunately we also have homeless teenagers, mainly through absolutely no fault of there own, but due to parents neglect or ageing out of the foster care system. Which, from what I understand, is the fate of the teenagers in this documentary/reality show. So the show is not about your "ordinary" homeless, who have dropped out of society, for whatever reason, be it to alcohol or drug abuse etc., and have been living on the streets for many years, but kids who had no choice in the matter, which is maybe why they don't look so "poor"!

I'm tired of hearing and reading about this Spiderman mess. I don't care who's wrong or right here, it's just plain UGLY and I don't think Bono and Edge are particularly happy about the way things have turned out or about the way this whole thing has been handled. I don't have any opinion on Taymor because in the end it's a question of who to believe in a situation where it's word against word. I just think it's very sad who their friendship has turned into this nasty personal fight.

I'm tired of hearing and reading about this Spiderman mess. I don't care who's wrong or right here, it's just plain UGLY and I don't think Bono and Edge are particularly happy about the way things have turned out or about the way this whole thing has been handled. I don't have any opinion on Taymor because in the end it's a question of who to believe in a situation where it's word against word. I just think it's very sad who their friendship has turned into this nasty personal fight.

:up:

Wow, Ms. Taymor sounds very bitter to me. She is defending her pride now and it all sounds a bit desperate. She was said to be very stubborn and didn't want to listen to them as far as the changes to the production were concerned. Bono and Edge had fresh eyes on the progression of the show since they didn't have the luxury of being there full time. They came in and could see what needed to be fixed, but she was so immersed in it she was blind, and now she is blaming them. That's unclassy and not cool at all, IMO. Bono and Edge fixed the problems and now it's super successful breaking box office records. That's what it looks like to me... but what do I know. Plus, Bono and Edge do not seem the type to be greedy and vindictive. They probably reached out to her already with a settlement, but she probably rejected it just to save her face. IMO. Sad if true.

There is absolutely no point in trying to speculating to badmouth Taymor, or defending B&E in order to make B&E look better. We do not know the whole story, and we never will.

No one ends up looking good in any of this, whether we like it or not.

Wow, Ms. Taymor sounds very bitter to me. She is defending her pride now and it all sounds a bit desperate. She was said to be very stubborn and didn't want to listen to them as far as the changes to the production were concerned. Bono and Edge had fresh eyes on the progression of the show since they didn't have the luxury of being there full time. They came in and could see what needed to be fixed, but she was so immersed in it she was blind, and now she is blaming them. That's unclassy and not cool at all, IMO. Bono and Edge fixed the problems and now it's super successful breaking box office records. That's what it looks like to me... but what do I know. Plus, Bono and Edge do not seem the type to be greedy and vindictive. They probably reached out to her already with a settlement, but she probably rejected it just to save her face. IMO. Sad if true.

did you read the email excerpt (written by Glenn Berger) in Taymor's response stating that Bono turned up for an important late-night meeting flanked by super models and "rendered useless" after having had too many beers, so the meeting had to be cancelled? course it's total clichéd rockstar behaviour but i would've fired his sorry ass! that says to me he was not taking it seriously!

.... We do not know the whole story, and we never will.

No one ends up looking good in any of this, whether we like it or not.

Agree! I do not aim this at anyone's prior post. I just see the merit in the above statement.

money always ruin relationship :/

did you read the email excerpt (written by Glenn Berger) in Taymor's response stating that Bono turned up for an important late-night meeting flanked by super models and "rendered useless" after having had too many beers, so the meeting had to be cancelled? course it's total clichéd rockstar behaviour but i would've fired his sorry ass! that says to me he was not taking it seriously!

No, sorry I missed that. You are right, that doesn't sound good. I guess I give them the benefit of the doubt more than I do her and that's totally based on what I have read and heard in interviews. Like I said in my post what do I know? Yes I know they are not totally innocent since this seems to be dragging on and on. But, I guess I am more inclined to be on their side since they do have a reputation that precedes them in a professional aspect right? But I guess something is up since there are lawsuits pending. So sorry if I jumped the gun there...

No, sorry I missed that. You are right, that doesn't sound good. I guess I give them the benefit of the doubt more than I do her and that's totally based on what I have read and heard in interviews. Like I said in my post what do I know? Yes I know they are not totally innocent since this seems to be dragging on and on. But, I guess I am more inclined to be on their side since they do have a reputation that precedes them in a professional aspect right? But I guess something is up since there are lawsuits pending. So sorry if I jumped the gun there...

Is this bit here:

224.Upon information and belief, on January 13, 2011, Cohl, Berger, and Bono met with Taymor in the VIP room of the Foxwoods Theater. Unbeknownst to Taymor, Berger apparently understood that the purpose of the meeting was to finally disclose Plan X to Taymor.As Berger recounted in a later e-mail, however, “that meeting never happened”:

[T]he meeting was postponed til 11 p.m., when Bono was going to show up – except he showed up in our room with Christy Turlington and a couple other supermodels, and he had already had a few beers, rendering him useless – so the producers postponed the meeting til the next afternoon – but that meeting never happened – but the producers assured me the new plan was to implement JT’s vision for the next three weeks and, if after polling and focus groups and checking their own guts, if they feel like they don’t have a hit, they’re going to shut down and implement “PlanX” – but JT doesn’t know about that plan – so meanwhile, we just pushed opening again to March 15th.

But this is just a tiny part of a never-ending story. :crack:

This is kind of getting gross, isn't it? Who is Berger? I wonder who gets to be the bearer of bad news when this stuff sees the light? His PR person?

Who is Berger?

he's the co-scriptwriter who was working with Taymor and a self-professed fan of hers before he went undercover, double-crossed her and stabbed her in the back :D

here's an email he apparently sent her before things went awry - it kind of made my mind boggle because, my god, if this is how these people talk to each other, no wonder .........

Likewise, Taymor’s co-author Berger was effusive about the Book of the Musical they had created. In August 2010, shortly before public preview performances began, he sent an e-mail to Taymor stating:

"i’ve been meaning to point this out for a while, but today, as people could sense something alchemical was going on in how the story was working—it’s—your directing and designing on this thing aside—your understanding of theatre has enabled you to create a profoundly effective story. yeah, I wrote more of the words in the script, but the beat-to-beat narrative—that was totally your vision (I was your boy wonder) – and by figuring how to send the audience high, then plunging them low immediately after, then sending them high again, and on and on—well, anyway, just a few hundred hurdles to go, so I won't get into it...

it seems to work on the audience on a physiological level—putting them in a state where they're wholly open—prepared to engage in the story on a deep deep emotional level...

but just wanted to say what a gift, what a mind-cracking, heart-swelling gift it’s been having these front-row tickets to you"
:lol:

I've seen a few Taymor movies....and they are not very accessible. I could see Bono and Edge thinking 'Wow, I like the story here' as artists. But you are selling Spider-Man to middle America and convincing people in a time of recess to fork over hard earn cash for over 3 hours of entertainment. They might not get 'Arachne' or whatever that main character was. People remember the movies - and want to see THAT come to life with music.

Yes, Broadway is messy and ego massaging and backstabbing - like most entertainment fields.

Man, I hope they get a Tony nod after all the blood, sweat and tears.

her visuals are amazing, but post-Frieda (and even that was a bit iffy) her films leave me cold - to me, it's like they're pretty, but have no soul or depth or human feeling about them or don't communicate any to me at least - can't explain really...

but her previous stage work, in theatre and opera, really is out of this world... she does have an incredible eye/imagination for visuals... and i think that aspect of Spider-Man worked well at least...

joinadamclaytonforwalki.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJw-nryGGLs

Bono turning up at a meeting with models and a few beer too many? :lol:

Some fans will LOVE to hear that because many here think Bono isn't rockstar enough.

Come on, that's not the right way to behave, Mr. Rockstar, but if a few beers make him "useless", he really isn't used to drinking a lot is he? Some people become better with meetings and stuff after drinking a bit, I've always thought Bono was a brilliant rhetoric when he's had a few.

Seriously, it sucks but one occasion doesn't make the man totally "unprofessional", as Taymor obviously likes to put it. Plus, where's Edge in all of this? It's a nasty, ugly thing to happen between the three of them, but to me it sounds like Taymor has a personal thing going on here and is trying to dig up some dirty laundry. Whatever really happened (which we don't know) - this is just getting very ugly and I wish they'd found some other way to sort this out instead of going into this kind of public badmouthing. Ugh.

ok... i must be pretty sick, but i LOVE seeing all the gory details :D

Hey, it's what you get when you schedule a meeting at 11pm. I'm not sure how useful I'd be either. :shrug:

Maybe the beer took the edge off the confrontation....it's all a game of she said/we said. There is her side, their side and the truth lies somewhere in the middle, you know?

And thanks to Pluspol for posting the Adam news. I thought he had stolen away to Larry's bunker.

Back
Top Bottom