PLEBA Misc News and Articles #5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meet Bono's Hero on World AIDS Day

Meet Bono’s Hero on World AIDS Day, 2010 - @U2 Blog

Meet Bono’s Hero on World AIDS Day, 2010

World AIDS Day is Wednesday, December 1, 2010. It is a day we set aside to remember those lost and those who are living with the disease. Eight years ago on this date in 2002, Agnes Nyamayarwo made history alongside Bono & other AIDS activists as they spoke before an enthusiastic audience at the University of Nebraska in Lincoln to launch DATA (Debt, Aid, Trade, Africa) on “The Heart of America” tour. DATA was Bono’s African advocacy organization which had a productive vision of what needed to be done to assist African countries in their efforts to upgrade their standards of living. Agnes was pivotal to the formation & the success of DATA as Bono personally chose her to be DATA’s “face” of the African AIDS crisis & her courageous response to it.

Agnes’ amazing life story and her graceful presence not only moved people’s hearts but inspired them to take action with DATA on behalf of Africa’s future. DATA would lead to the creation in May, 2004 of ONE and Agnes would go on to become its first African spokesperson alongside Bono.

In October, 2009, many U2 fans had the chance to hear Agnes’ inspirational story in person as she was one of the speakers at the first ever U2 Academic Conference in North Carolina where she was introduced by Bono via a taped message here.

Agnes Nyamayarwo: U2 Academic Conference - @U2 Blog

For those who attended the U2 concert in Raleigh that evening, they were treated to Bono’s dedication of the song “One” to Agnes – his dear friend who was in attendance.

On December 1, 2010, a new online venture will be launched for Agnes and the HIV positive women whom she works with – the Mulago Positive Women’s Network. The purpose for this unique event is to help keep alive Bono’s original vision for Africans by empowering extremely poor women at the most grassroots level in their society to raise their own voices. You will be able to interact with the women personally via the internet to better inform you what HIV/AIDS in Africa looks like today and to help them showcase their uniquely handmade African craft items to help them educate their children & provide for their welfare.

More details of the day’s live broadcast (December 1, 2010 from 9am to 11am Eastern Standard Time) can be found here.

A Gem Of An Idea - Multicast Login

On a very personal note, I would just like to add that I learned about Agnes Nyamayarwo’s life and activism a few years ago when I joined the @U2 forum. As a woman and mother who does not live in poverty, she truly has been a inspirational role model for me. I learned that I could make a difference in another woman’s life on the other side of the globe. I started selling the MPWN’s crafts and now consider Agnes a dear friend. I was not able to go to the U2 Conference and missed my chance to meet her. I am excited that this event will help me realize a dream of my own…..to meet these remarkable women whom I have been helping. Woman to woman……mother to mother……we can all make a difference. I hope you can join us!

Mulago Positive Women’s Network :hug:

U2 reported to perform for Oprah

@U2, November 28, 2010
By: m2 / @mattmcgee

U2 is reportedly going to headline a worldwide Oprah Winfrey TV special while in Australia for the U2 360 Tour. As part of the celebration of her final season, Oprah is taking about 300 of her most loyal viewers to Australia -- and while there, she'll record two TV specials at the Sydney Opera House. The Australian says U2 is "expected to headline" one of the two; they'll be taped at 10:00 am and 5:00 pm on December 14th. U2 performs that night at Sydney's ANZ Stadium.

It had been reported a couple weeks ago that U2 would attend a special concert that Bon Jovi would be performing for Oprah, but this is the first report that U2 will perform at an Oprah event.

U2 > News > U2 360° Heading To Argentina

Live Nation Global Touring and Time for Fun have today confirmed that U2 will return to Argentina. The U2 360° Tour will visit Estadio Unico de La Plata in Buenos Aires on March 30th, 2011 and special guests on the night will be Muse.

U2 > News > U2 360° Heading To Brazil

Live Nation Global Touring and Time for Fun have today confirmed that U2 will return to Brazil. The U2 360° Tour will visit Sao Paulo’s Estadio Morumbi on April 9th, 2011 and special guests on the night will be Muse.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance::cabbagepatch::loveshower::panic::yippie::bonodrum::dancing::applaud::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

Andreia, I think you're not enjoying it as it's necessary :lol: You used only 10 icons while 12 are allowable :lol::lol::lol:

U2's 'Spider-Man' Musical Spins Tangled Web of Disaster at First Preview - Amplifier

This review of the preview is not good at all. Issues with the technology. Show stoppage to issues. Not looking good.
After enduring high profile production delays, major casting changes and the highest bill in Broadway history by a wide margin (most estimations put it in the $65 million range), the U2-penned musical "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" finally opened for preview performances this past weekend. And by all accounts the musical's inaugural show, staged at the Great White Way's Foxwoods Theater, was an even bigger disaster than critically loathed "Spider-Man 3" movie. As the New York Post so eloquently put it in today's review, "Turn Off the Dark" is "an epic flop as the $65 million show's high-tech gadgetry went completely awry amid a dull score and baffling script." Ouch.

Faced with towering critical and box office expectations due to its high cost and marquee talent, the "Turn Off the Dark" musical does have a lot going for it. It was scored by Bono and the Edge, and its jaw-dropping sets, costumes and cavalcade of infamous and original villains were imagined by Julie Taymor (of the $4.2 billion-grossing "Lion King" theatrical production).

But perhaps its biggest draw are the high-flying aerial effects that promise to wow audiences in a way that Broadway has never seen before. Taymor's crew has rigged the theater with all manner of pulleys and acrobatic high-wires in order to tell the story of Marvel Comics' teenage web-slinger. It's those ambitious aerial effects that resulted in five delays during the first preview performance: the technical difficulties often stranded the actors as they hovered above the audience, stranded for several minutes at a time.

Audience members, who paid in the vicinity of $140 to see this debut performance, were warned by the show's producer Michael Cohl before the curtain went up that the show might need to hit the brakes throughout, since it was still a work in progress (it doesn't open officially until January 11, 2011). However, no one in the audience could have anticipated just how many times the performance would screech to a halt: There were four stoppages in the first act alone, including one incident where a stunt-gone-wrong left Spider-Man star Reeve Carney hovering over the audience for several minutes while stagehands tried to reel him back in. That mishap resulted in intermission being called prematurely, and the break itself lasted over 40 minutes. (It's worth noting that Act One itself started nearly a half-hour late, but the audience's slow filing to their seats could be to blame.)
In total, the preview performance ran a "Gone With the Wind"-esque three hours and 20 minutes, which is apparently more than a modern day audience can take in one sitting. During a technical stoppage in the second act, one frustrated woman in the audience yelled, "I don't know how everyone else feels, but I feel like a guinea pig today -- I feel like it's a dress rehearsal." The heckler was promptly booed, according to the New York Times, as the audience banded together to take pity on the technical woes facing "Spider-Man" five weeks before its opening. Considering that thankfully no one was injured during the preview performance -- two "Spider-Man" actors suffered broken bones while attempting the aerials during rehearsals last month -- it seems as though the musical is progressing positively on its march toward opening night.

It's not uncommon for previews to have glitches -- actors drop lines, miss cues -- and generally audiences are forgiving of that sort of thing. But when a show promises as much visual dazzle as "Turn Off The Dark," it may have a difficult time avoiding the bad PR stemming from such a trouble-plagued first preview.

What could be most damaging from the standpoint of traditional and word-of-mouth press is the fact that technical issues seemingly overshadowed the musical's other problems, which included a convoluted plot that seemed to confuse hardcore and nascent Spidey fans alike. Even U2's score, led by the first single "Boy Falls From the Sky," didn't receive the rave reviews that greeted the band's most recent album "No Line on the Horizon."

With a price tag of $65 million plus a weekly running cost of $1 million, its estimated that "Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark" would need to sell out every performance for the better part of forever (or at least "many months," says Variety) in order to finally turn a profit. No small feat by Broadway standards.

Has any of you ever bought Red Zone tickets?? I have a few questions to ask. I know there are loads of threads about RZ in the General Tour Discussion, but I just can't find the info I'm looking for.
Let me know and I'll send you a PM.
Thanks in advance! :):up:

U2 reported to perform for Oprah

@U2, November 28, 2010
By: m2 / @mattmcgee

U2 is reportedly going to headline a worldwide Oprah Winfrey TV special while in Australia for the U2 360 Tour. As part of the celebration of her final season, Oprah is taking about 300 of her most loyal viewers to Australia -- and while there, she'll record two TV specials at the Sydney Opera House. The Australian says U2 is "expected to headline" one of the two; they'll be taped at 10:00 am and 5:00 pm on December 14th. U2 performs that night at Sydney's ANZ Stadium.

It had been reported a couple weeks ago that U2 would attend a special concert that Bon Jovi would be performing for Oprah, but this is the first report that U2 will perform at an Oprah event.

Thanks so much for the info! :wave: Ever since I heard about Oprah doing her show in Australia next month I been wondering whether U2 might make an appearance, yay!! :applaud:

Also Simon Baker who plays Patrick Jane in The Mentalist, (and on whom I've developed quite a major crush on, check out the pics of him I've posted on Plebans Beautiful Men thread and you'll understand why! :sexywink: ) will also be appearing on one of the Oprah shows. I'm just hoping that U2 and Simon will run into one another, with possible photos of Bono with Simon! :drool: :combust: :faint:

U2 is still a rumor tough. So I'm keeping my mind off it until its confirmed now.
I do hope anyway.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

i'm waiting for them in BRAZIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:hyper::love::applaud::rockon::loveshower::happydance:: cabbagepatch::yippie:hi5:

U2 IN BRAZIL!!!!!!!!!

MY COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!

MY FIRST U2 CONCERT!!

OMG, I'M VERY VERY CRAZY HERE... : yippie:yippie:yippie:yippie:yippie:yippie:yippie: :yippie:

:yippie:
very happy for you both!!! ....and other U2 fans in your country!!!

U2 is still a rumor tough. So I'm keeping my mind off it until its confirmed now.
I do hope anyway.

Oh I'm hoping that it's true, we all know that Oprah has a crush on Bono! :sexywink: I don't see her going all the way to Australia and with U2 also in the country at the same time, that she won't want to have U2 on her show, and if our guys can fit it in, that is of course!! :hmm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom