PLEBA Misc News and Articles #3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That there Dallas Schoo is one stand-up guy. Congrats "D".

Willie Williams wins award

transparent.png
Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 8:23AM
U2’s latest tour has been voted the year’s best stage show by crews who work on major gigs around the world.
The 360 Degree tour, which used a groundbreaking “claw” stage, was named live production of the year at the Total Production International Awards.
The ceremony, hosted by TPI magazine, rewards roadies, riggers, truckers and other behind-the-scenes workers.

Dallas Schoo - salu2podcast 2009The Edge’s roadie Dallas Schoo won an award, while U2 production guru Willie Williams picked up two prizes.
TPI magazine editor-in-chief Mark Cunningham said the Irish band’s tour had “made the biggest noise” of the last 12 months in more ways than one.
“It is a massive engineering feat - from scenery to video to audio, with the biggest PA system that has ever been seen on a tour,” he said.
o.gif

“It’s a fantastic achievement and the four members of U2 are effectively the icing on the cake.”
The TPI Awards were first held in 2002 and the winners are voted for by readers of the magazine.
This year’s ceremony was hosted by BBC Radio 2 broadcaster Chris Evans and attracted artists including the Pet Shop Boys, Kaiser Chiefs singer Ricky Wilson and former Public Image Limited bassist Jah Wobble.
Speaking about the nominees at the black tie event, Wobble said: “It’s very interesting seeing all these people with mohican haircuts and beards done up looking very uncomfortable wearing black suits and bow ties and all that.
“You just know they’d rather be wearing jeans and bomber jackets.”

Family Guy's Cleveland enlists music stars

Kanye West, Black Eyed Peas's Will.i.am and U2's Larry Mullen Jnr are just some of the stars lending their voices to new Family Guy cartoon spin-off The Cleveland Show.
The series, showing on E4 in the UK, and created by Family Guy boss Seth MacFarlane follows the adventures of Cleveland Brown and his family.
Mike Henry, who voices the main character said: "Kanye could not be a cooler guy at our show - we do definitely have some jokes where he makes light of himself."
"He does some things out in public that stir up controversy and opinions. He knew that and we contacted him and he was totally up for doing the part."
'Cool' guy
The show, which began in the US last autumn and is already commissioned for a second season, has managed to enlist a number of big name musicians including the outspoken rapper.
"He's a recurring character," says Henry of Kanye West, who voices a character called Kenny West in the show. "He does an extended rap-off with Cleveland Jnr in an episode first season and he and Cleveland hook up and do another rap in season two.
"The first time we had actually written a rap for him. Five of our writers sat down to write this rap and they were like, 'I wonder how he's going to like it?'.
"But he was genuinely laughing. He very humbly asked if we could change one line which didn't feel right. He was even joking that we should write a song for his next album."
More stars
Of course, this isn't a new idea. Over the past two decades we've seen cameos from the likes of Green Day, Aerosmith and, most recently, Coldplay in shows like The Simpsons.
Other music stars lined up to take part in season two of The Cleveland Show are Black Eyed Pea's Will.i.am and rapper T Pain - who'll play sidekicks for Cleveland Jnr.
"We just recorded him last week and he was absolutely hilarious. He could do his own animated show he's got so many voices," says Henry of Will.i.am.
U2's drummer Larry Mullen Jnr also got in touch with the programme's creators through a mutual friend and asked to be involved.

"He came in and we hung out for a couple of hours. We just recorded him doing a couple of different parts and he was very funny.
"It's a thrill for me to do all this. U2 is my favourite band of all time and David Lynch the film director plays a part on our show.
"He [Mullen Jnr] plays a mobster in one episode; he plays a bad Elvis impersonator by design in another episode.
"He's got his own studio so we just record it from Dublin. You don't have to record at a certain time. It's an easy gig and one that people like to do.
"It's very cool to have all these people from different walks of entertainment participating in what we're doing."
The Cleveland Show airs at 10pm on E4 every Monday

Willie Williams wins award

transparent.png
Tuesday, February 9, 2010 at 8:23AM
U2’s latest tour has been voted the year’s best stage show by crews who work on major gigs around the world.
The 360 Degree tour, which used a groundbreaking “claw” stage, was named live production of the year at the Total Production International Awards.
The ceremony, hosted by TPI magazine, rewards roadies, riggers, truckers and other behind-the-scenes workers.

Dallas Schoo - salu2podcast 2009The Edge’s roadie Dallas Schoo won an award, while U2 production guru Willie Williams picked up two prizes.
TPI magazine editor-in-chief Mark Cunningham said the Irish band’s tour had “made the biggest noise” of the last 12 months in more ways than one.
“It is a massive engineering feat - from scenery to video to audio, with the biggest PA system that has ever been seen on a tour,” he said.
o.gif

“It’s a fantastic achievement and the four members of U2 are effectively the icing on the cake.”
The TPI Awards were first held in 2002 and the winners are voted for by readers of the magazine.
This year’s ceremony was hosted by BBC Radio 2 broadcaster Chris Evans and attracted artists including the Pet Shop Boys, Kaiser Chiefs singer Ricky Wilson and former Public Image Limited bassist Jah Wobble.
Speaking about the nominees at the black tie event, Wobble said: “It’s very interesting seeing all these people with mohican haircuts and beards done up looking very uncomfortable wearing black suits and bow ties and all that.
“You just know they’d rather be wearing jeans and bomber jackets.”

That's great :applaud:

^ lol I agree, a lot of good news yesterday...except for U2 not playing Ireland :| I feel bad for everyone over there

There were other countries that U2 didn't play last year, a lot of us had to travel abroad to see them, while there were three shows in Ireland. Besides, they weren't treated particularly well by their people. They had a lot of troubles with protests and such, I don't think I've seen anything like that in any other country they played. So I understand them not wanting to go back and play. Sucks for Irish and UK fans, though, of course.

There were other countries that U2 didn't play last year, a lot of us had to travel abroad to see them, while there were three shows in Ireland. Besides, they weren't treated particularly well by their people. They had a lot of troubles with protests and such, I don't think I've seen anything like that in any other country they played. So I understand them not wanting to go back and play. Sucks for Irish and UK fans, though, of course.
:up:
South America,Latin America,Asia and Oceania are waiting for them!:heart:

I definably see them going to South America and Australia. They deserve it. And maybe some gig in Japan like last tour.

Spotted: Mary J. Blige Gains An Edge In New York
Posted 22 hrs ago by MTV News in Music

maryjedge_281.jpg

Every day a multitude of stars wanders through the halls of MTV News to talk about their latest projects and goof around with our intrepid correspondents. But sometimes we catch stars elsewhere, and that's why we put together Spotted!, a daily compendium of stars in the wild.

About a month has now passed since a horrifying earthquake struck Haiti, destroyed countless buildings and have left thousands dead. The country is still in need of medical supplies, food, water and cash for relocation purposes. The outreach from both average Americans and celebrities has been unprecedented, and the support continues. On Monday night, Mary J. Blige performed at a benefit she helped co-organize with fashion icons Andre Harrell, Donna Karan and Andre Balazs. At the Standard Hotel in New York, Blige took the stage (along with Wyclef Jean) and welcomed a roomful of stars from the fashion world as New York Fashion Week gets revved up. During her performance, Blige pulled U2 guitarist the Edge up with her for a feel-good moment that helped raise even more money for a cause that will require support for quite a long time.

Blige also rubbed elbows with an eclectic group of guests that included Michael Stipe, Robert De Niro, Whoopi Goldberg and Russell Simmons. Click here for the entire "Spotted!" archive, which features over 300 candid shots of stars like Britney Spears, Taylor Swift, Justin Bieber, the Jonas Brothers, Mariah Carey, Justin Timberlake, Miley Cyrus, Jessica Simpson, Beyoncé, Rihanna, Shakira, Jay-Z, Diddy and Lil Wayne!

Spotted: Mary J. Blige Gains An Edge In New York ? MTV Newsroom

I hope U2 also go to Australia and South America. It would be SO great for the fans and they have a lot of fans there. I guess it depends on the costs, but I hope they'll find a way. And maybe there will be Dublin shows in 2011 to close the 360 tour when they get back to Europe?!

Achtung Baby...probably the best album ever made.

In my humble opinion...

^In my humble opinion, I agree with you. :wink:

If this is true......:yippie: :yippie: :yippie: :yippie: :yippie:

That is all. :D

THIS. So hard. :up:

AB has always been my favorite album, and the AB/Zoo/Pass/Pop years were/are legendary, especially Zoo era.

JT will always be sentimental for me, as it was my starting point, and those songs are timeless, but I honestly believe it was because of the sheer awesomeness of AB. The two are almost a pair, in a weird way.

(Is it too soon to mark Sept. 4th on the calendar??? :reject: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom