Pleba Girls Party-We don't mind a bit of crooked Bono.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, So you think believing in auras and mystical things goes against Christianity?

I just ask because I've been going through a phase of spiritual enlightenment if you will, studying different religions and spiritual beliefs of the world. I've seen a lot of things and talked to a lot of people about it, and just want to ask you guys, too, since you're on the topic

I posted two more "poems" in the same thread. :reject:

These are both much more technical so not quite as embarassing. But still, read them, don't read them, print them out so you can shred them to pieces and burn them whilst cursing my name, it's fine. :wink:

I'm sorry I don't have smut...this is the best contribution I can think of at the moment. :(

Sad_Girl said:
Ok, So you think believing in auras and mystical things goes against Christianity?

I just ask because I've been going through a phase of spiritual enlightenment if you will, studying different religions and spiritual beliefs of the world. I've seen a lot of things and talked to a lot of people about it, and just want to ask you guys, too, since you're on the topic

Well, Bono seems to...at least that's what you get from the book.

Me, I'm much more easy going...I've told dearest VP that my beleifs are sketchy at best. Heh, I didn't even know I was protestant until.....grade 8? maybe 9? :lol:
Plus, I have issues with a lot of organized religions.......
So I'll just say my opinion is worth nil...and shut up. :lol:

~BrightestStar~ said:

Me, I'm much more easy going...I've told dearest VP that my beleifs are sketchy at best. Heh, I didn't even know I was protestant until.....grade 8? maybe 9? :lol:

It's worth a lot. to tell you the truth, most people I know feel very much the same way.
:hug:

Sad_Girl said:

Well, here's how I see it. My beliefs tell me certain things unequivocally, and I believe them unequivocally. Among those beliefs is the total acceptance that God is omnipotent. Because I believe 100 percent in His omnipotence, I also have to believe that nothing, NOTHING is outside His control or beyond his knowledge. Do I believe in people having auras? Well, I know the Bible doesn't really reference them, but I can't be so arrogant as to say "Nah, that's all bullshit." How do I know? Where was I when the universe was made? That said, it doesn't mean that I give equal standing to every "spiritual" trapping or claim that comes around. I follow simple truths. I avoid things that distract me from God (which is what most religious artiface does...not all, but most). I keep my eyes on Him.

Elessarian said:
lol....well I'm glad to see we're all on the same page regarding "mystical crap." :wink:

:eyebrow: :confused: not sure how to take that wink
....but i happen to be into a fair amount of that "mystical crap", while still maintaing a scientific sde. ANMd know about awhole group of scientists [include physisits and pyschologists] of various backgrounds who have had mystical experiences and have gone to study them in as scientiic a way as possible

and i apologize in ADVANCE IF i'm being too "reactive' on this to what you were saying.....

Sad_Girl said:
group.jpg

:love: :love: :love: :love: very nice!!!!

Sad_Girl said:

My opinion is one that probably a lot of people don't share...but it's mine, and since you asked. :shrug:

I don't think it goes against Christianity. Miracles are a huge example in religion, as we all know. IMO, what it goes against is science and logic. And science and logic has been more my mindset for many years now...even since before I went back to school. Probably since my dad died.

I don't even think I can call myself Christian, anymore. :shrug: Not an athiest, but not Christian, either.

Actually, I'm a Universal Unitarian. :wink:

dazzledbylight said:

:eyebrow: :confused: not sure how to take that wink
....but i happen to be into a fair amount of that "mystical crap", while still maintaing a scientific sde. ANMd know about awhole group of scientists [include physisits and pyschologists] of various backgrounds who have had mystical experiences and have gone to study them in as scientiic a way as possible

and i apologize in ADVANCE IF i'm being too "reactive' on this to what you were saying.....

Oh no, I was just commenting on how in the few previous posts we tend to boil down terminology to its barest. It amuses me when things are summed up as "crap" or complicated issues are summed up with a "blah blah blah." I didn't intend it so much as a comment on people's beliefs...if it sounded so, my bad. :wink: :hug:

~BrightestStar~ said:

Your opinions are HUGELY important!! :hug:

Sad_Girl said:

Well I was raised as a Quaker, no bloody jokes about oatmeal or you will all get it! :lol: But I never really knew what it meant to be a Quaker when I was a kid. I did know that without a doubt I believed in Jesus Christ and his love for me and the world.

As an adult when asked I simply reply that I don't have a religion, I have a faith in God and a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. We do attend a non-denominational church that was orignially a branch off of a Calvary Chapel church. So what it all boils down to is that I am a Christian.

As for auras and mystical things, I don't know really about auras. I know that we all have souls and maybe thats what some people see or believe in when they talk about auras. As for mystical things. I think that many mystical things that people deal with or mess with are really demons and things of other worlds. Things that we should not be messing with. When you open yourself to mystical things, I truly believe you open yourself to the bad sides of this world. I've seen some bad things in my life. Demons and possesions, they aren't pretty things, but they are very real.

But if you think about it to some people God could be a mystical thing. I guess it depends on how you define mystical.

Thanks Eless and Dazz, I'm fascinated to hear people speak up on the subject. I considered becoming a Pastor when I graduated High School; I'm a very spiritual person, and I believe God is ... well, GOD :) Life is lived in service/honor of Him, but in such a way at the same time where He is not 'Master' but more like 'Daddy'.
I also believe that there are many, many things which happen on this planet and in this life which are not accounted for in the bible, which has been translated and edited through two thousand years by human beings who we all know are extremely fallible.
I am a Christian and proud of that, but I also believe in Premonitions, telepathy, auras and many other things which a lot of people seem to think for whatever reason go against God.
Eles, I agree with you, God needs to be central, and sometimes those things might take away from that in some peoples lives. Maybe thats where it comes from. I really don't understand, but I'm trying too. :hug:

*sdidn't forget you, VP!* :hug:

lovely wedding :hug: so pretty at night with the lovely white trelies with heart, violet flowers, green foliage ! NICE job, SG !!! :yes:

thinks of a lovfely warmm Late May night....75- 80 degrees , NO humidty :D :happy:

yeah wow your body snapped back into form really quick after baby day!:wink:

Sad_Girl said:

there are scholars who say that Christ went to India and studied various mystical techniques.....

~BrightestStar~ said:

:lmao:

Gah!
I keep forgeting to tell you I know one! A friend of my grams....apparently, a fallen christian (forgive the wording)..she had issues with it..and signed up for the church in beantown recently.

Yay!!! Another one of me. :wink:

In all seriousness though, as I said in my e-mail, I've done a fair bit of reading about the subject over the past few years, and that comes closest, by far, to expressing what I believe in.

And if there were an afternoon church, I'd join, dammit. :wink:

Russty Cat said:

Well I was raised as a Quaker, no bloody jokes about oatmeal or you will all get it! :lol: But I never really knew what it meant to be a Quaker when I was a kid. I did know that without a doubt I believed in Jesus Christ and his love for me and the world.

As an adult when asked I simply reply that I don't have a religion, I have a faith in God and a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. We do attend a non-denominational church that was orignially a branch off of a Calvary Chapel church. So what it all boils down to is that I am a Christian.

As for auras and mystical things, I don't know really about auras. I know that we all have souls and maybe thats what some people see or believe in when they talk about auras. As for mystical things. I think that many mystical things that people deal with or mess with are really demons and things of other worlds. Things that we should not be messing with. When you open yourself to mystical things, I truly believe you open yourself to the bad sides of this world. I've seen some bad things in my life. Demons and possesions, they aren't pretty things, but they are very real.

But if you think about it to some people God could be a mystical thing. I guess it depends on how you define mystical.

Well Said :applaud: And I agree with not messing with things which we don't understand. If we could handle it, God would've let us in on it :lol:

VintagePunk said:

My opinion is one that probably a lot of people don't share...but it's mine, and since you asked. :shrug:

I don't think it goes against Christianity. Miracles are a huge example in religion, as we all know. IMO, what it goes against is science and logic. And science and logic has been more my mindset for many years now...even since before I went back to school. Probably since my dad died.

I don't even think I can call myself Christian, anymore. :shrug: Not an athiest, but not Christian, either.

Actually, I'm a Universal Unitarian. :wink:

I can see where your coming from. Miracles are a huge thing in life. But mystical stuff and auras going against sciences and logic isn't always true. I guess it just depends on whose logic and reasoning you are looking at it from. In some societies mystical things are the norm, because of the culture and the way people have been brought up to view them. Just food for thought.

"And I'd join the movement if there was one I could believe in...yeah I'd break bread and wine if there was a church I could receive in..."

That's POETRY people!! :drool:

That said, it's been fascinating to watch Bono's faith develop and manifest over the past few years. Not that we have any kind of real vantage point of course, but it's been quite interesting.

SG!!!

I posted a reply to your answer to my question.....but i did it on the last thread....it was still open and didn't think anything of it... because it didn';y bounce me out!

then i realliized a new thread had been started.....yes you answered my question well, but i made a few more comment, so you have a look later..... oops.....:D

dazzledbylight said:
*sdidn't forget you, VP!* :hug:

lovely wedding :hug: so pretty at night with the lovely white trelies with heart, violet flowers, green foliage ! NICE job, SG !!! :yes:

thinks of a lovfely warmm Late May night....75- 80 degrees , NO humidty :D :happy:

yeah wow your body snapped back into form really quick after baby day!:wink:

Thank you!!! :happy: I can't stress enough how incredibly sweet SG is, for doing all this for us!! :)

And yes, the body bounced back MUCH faster than my real one did. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom