Photobucket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arw

Blue Crack Addict
I have a question for all you Photobucket users. Has anyone ever had a problem with them? I don't want to upload everything I have on my Boomspeed and Snapfish accounts if there's going to be any cancellation of my account issues. I know with Snapfish you have to buy something to keep your account. Also, is there a limit to how big your account can be in terms of number of albums and pictures in each album? So far what I've done with Photobucket I really like it and I'd like to switch to it for good.

:reject: I'm not in the mood to look on Photobucket to see if there's FAQ section. Any info on that site would be appreciated! :yes:

I've gotten messages a couple of times that I've used too much bandwidth for the month, and that they were going to disable direct linking if I went over a certain amount of bandwidth. They said I could either purchase more bandwidth or make a donation to the site. Oh, and when I've uploaded any bmp images recently, it's automatically shrunken down very small.:|

Personally I have never had a problem with Photobucket. A few times some of their servers go down but they are usually up and running within a few hours. To my knowledge there have been no accounts that have been suspended.

You get 100MB of picture storage for free. I think the approximate amount of pictures that holds is somewhere between 2,000 and 2,500 depending on the size of the pictures.

If you upload a picture that is over 250KB Photobucket will automatically resize it. I think that this may only be a problem with huge scans, images saved in BMP format, or GIFs that have a lot of frames in them.

The only negative aspect about Photobucket is that you do not have unlimited bandwidth. I think that the current bandwidth is 2,500 megabites which equals somewhere around 50,000 views that pictures get per month. When you surpass the amount of bandwidth your pictures are not viewable outside of Photobucket and are replaced with a logo until the beginning of a new month. I don't think anyone would have a problem with bandwidth unless they post their pictures in threads that accumulate a lot of hits. Donating a little bit of money should rid your account temporarily of bandwidth costs, I think.

Last edited:
ladylardence said:
Oh, and when I've uploaded any bmp images recently, it's automatically shrunken down very small.:|

BMPs are shrunken down due to the images being over 250KB. If you save pictures in JPG format it will save tons space on your harddrive. If you have any imaging programs (ie. Photoshop, Corel, Paint Shop Pro, etc.) I'd suggest converting the images you have in BMP into JPG. It's a really big space saver. :)

Queen Bee said:

BMPs are shrunken down due to the images being over 250KB. If you save pictures in JPG format it will save tons space on your harddrive. If you have any imaging programs (ie. Photoshop, Corel, Paint Shop Pro, etc.) I'd suggest converting the images you have in BMP into JPG. It's a really big space saver. :)

I didn't know that! I probably have 3000 pictures on my harddrive all saved in bmp! :yell: I did notice the other day when I uploaed some pictures to Photobucket that it did shrink the bmp's.

Thanks for all of the info on Photobucket!

Queen Bee said:

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try that! :)

I pay for boomspeed like you do. I'm sticking with boomspeed because from what I"ve seen has happened to a couple of other girls, they do cut you off at a certain bandwidth unless you give a 'donation' so you might as well keep boomspeed and pay and not have to re-upload. I pay my $6 a month and I never have to worry about the bandwidth. That's how I feel about it anyway.

U2Kitten said:
I pay for boomspeed like you do. I'm sticking with boomspeed because from what I"ve seen has happened to a couple of other girls, they do cut you off at a certain bandwidth unless you give a 'donation' so you might as well keep boomspeed and pay and not have to re-upload. I pay my $6 a month and I never have to worry about the bandwidth. That's how I feel about it anyway.

what exactly has happened to other people? I just feel like paying $6.00 a month to host a few sigs and post the occassional gif here and there is a waste of money for me right now. I'd like to know as much about the good and bad before I permanently switch. I did have a few sigs switched over to photobucket. I wanted to see what happened in terms of bandwith for a month if I did that. If I have to make an occassional "donation" I would rather do that than pay the continuous $6.00 a month.

I know it happened to Kellyahern and one other person at least. I'm sure Kelly can tell you. When you get too many pics they will ask for a donation or you will be cut off or have to delete some of your pics. I don't know how much they gave, but if the amount you are expected to donate is anywhere near what we pay for boomspeed, I think I might as well stick with boomspeed. The main thing for me is, I have hundreds of pics already on boomspeed and I don't want to have to move them all to another service (I also have that fotki page with almost 2000 pics on it) if I'm going to have to end up paying anyway.

BTW the fotki page is a once a year payment of $30 and you get unlimited storage and posting. They do allow you to store a copy of your original pic but only 'resized' (shrunk a la snapfish) pics can be posted. But they never bother you about bandwidth. I have had trouble with bmps on fotki, they sometimes only upload halfway with the bottom black :huh: So I take them to paint and convert them to jpegs.

U2Kitten said:
I know it happened to Kellyahern and one other person at least. I'm sure Kelly can tell you. When you get too many pics they will ask for a donation or you will be cut off or have to delete some of your pics. I don't know how much they gave, but if the amount you are expected to donate is anywhere near what we pay for boomspeed, I think I might as well stick with boomspeed. The main thing for me is, I have hundreds of pics already on boomspeed and I don't want to have to move them all to another service (I also have that fotki page with almost 2000 pics on it) if I'm going to have to end up paying anyway.

BTW the fotki page is a once a year payment of $30 and you get unlimited storage and posting. They do allow you to store a copy of your original pic but only 'resized' (shrunk a la snapfish) pics can be posted. But they never bother you about bandwidth. I have had trouble with bmps on fotki, they sometimes only upload halfway with the bottom black :huh: So I take them to paint and convert them to jpegs.

does fokti do gifs? Snapfish does not which is why I went to boomspeed to begin with. That's mainly what I'm concerned with. I really have no intentions of ever getting rid of snapfish. I have way too much stuff there and I use it to order actual pictures that I upload from my camera. I'm pretty happy with their service in that respect but I'd just like to have something else to go along with snapfish and it has to be one where I can have gifs on it or it does me no good.

U2Kitten said:

I understand where you're coming from about this. However, Kelly's account is actively used on PLEBA and more than likely gets more hits than any other account on PLEBA. I understand why she had the bandwidth/storage problem due to how many pictures she has hosted.

From what I understand arw9797 wants to use her account for a few signature and gif files that she wants to transfer from her Boomspeed account. I honestly don't think she would encounter any bandwidth issues if that is the only use the account will have. If at any point she does decide to actively use her account then I see where the problems with bandwidth or storage may arise.

Queen Bee said:

I understand where you're coming from about this. However, Kelly's account is actively used on PLEBA and more than likely gets more hits than any other account on PLEBA. I understand why she had the bandwidth/storage problem due to how many pictures she has hosted.

But at the time Kelly got told she was using too much bandwidth she hadn't posted her info for everyone to use yet, it was just her. She posts a lot, but so do I, so I'd be worried I'd run over too.

From what I understand arw9797 wants to use her account for a few signature and gif files that she wants to transfer from her Boomspeed account. I honestly don't think she would encounter any bandwidth issues if that is the only use the account will have. If at any point she does decide to actively use her account then I see where the problems with bandwidth or storage may arise.

The way I understood it she wanted to get rid of boomspeed and quit paying for it and switch to photobucket if it's free and she won't get charged. Both boomspeed and photobucket host gifs and sigs the same way, so I don't think that would be a factor in keeping one and not the other.

U2Kitten said:

But at the time Kelly got told she was using too much bandwidth she hadn't posted her info for everyone to use yet, it was just her. She posts a lot, but so do I, so I'd be worried I'd run over too.
[/B]

I think it was because I had just uploaded a bunch of screencaps that were in bitmap format and those take up more space :reject: Photobucket gave me advance warning that I was approaching their "limit" and that if I wanted to give a donation, they would lift the restrictions.

Anyway, I gave a donation, and they haven't said anything since :shifty: I think it was about $25 or $30, I figured that was fair for how much I use them :lol: That was several months ago, and like I said, they haven't asked me for any other donations, but I don't know if this is a once a year thing I'll have to do or a one time thing.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

The way I understood it she wanted to get rid of boomspeed and quit paying for it and switch to photobucket if it's free and she won't get charged. Both boomspeed and photobucket host gifs and sigs the same way, so I don't think that would be a factor in keeping one and not the other. [/B]

No Queen Bee has it right. If they both do the same thing but one is free and one isn't, why pay the money? I don't want to pay to post a few gifs every once in a while. If I can have a photobucket account free of charge then that sounds a lot better to me than boomspeed. I'm really not interested in paying $18.00 every 3 months to post gifs here anymore. I don't post them that often and if I can have a free account where I can post the occasional one or have one in my sig (or someone else's) then that's what I want. Boomspeed has been a pain in the ass for me to get my stuff to load. I'm not on dial up it's slower than snapfish sometimes. It shouldn't take that long to upload a tiny gif.

Like I said I have no intentions of replacing my existing snapfish account with Photobucket so after reading the responses here I just don't think bandwith would be a problem for me. I just wanted to check out Photobucket and ask a few questions. Boomspeed is $72.00 a year. If I had to make a donation to Photobucket it doesn't sound like it would be $72.00. For what I want to do Photobucket seems like it's more economical for me and that's the main issue.

Photobucket is PISSING me off tonite. I use it sometimes for my ebay auctions and guess what, photobucket is down right now so none of my auction pictures are showing up. I had to revise 7 auctions I am so mad. I could be losing money right now. This isnt the first time this has happened either. :madspit:

I even donated $5.00 a few weeks ago because I liked it. btw if you donate money they will give you unlimited bandwidth. But lotta good its doing me now isnt it.

arw9797 said:

No Queen Bee has it right. If they both do the same thing but one is free and one isn't, why pay the money? I don't want to pay to post a few gifs every once in a while. If I can have a photobucket account free of charge then that sounds a lot better to me than boomspeed.

That's just what I said :huh: in this post you quoted :huh:

Originally posted by U2Kitten

The way I understood it she wanted to get rid of boomspeed and quit paying for it and switch to photobucket if it's free and she won't get charged. Both boomspeed and photobucket host gifs and sigs the same way, so I don't think that would be a factor in keeping one and not the other.

And like I said they both host the sigs and gifs the same way so no need to keep one just for that.

So if it's a matter of economics you need to find out from them what they'd expect as a donation to get the unlimited bandwidth and if it's less than boomspeed, and if you do let me know! Another bad thing about boomspeed is that you don't get thumbnails. That drives me nuts. I used to have every pic on the old computer so I could just bring up My Pictures, get the file name and type in the easy boomspeed addy (that is a plus for them, the easy addys that don't have to be copied and pasted) and I never even had to go to the site unless I was uploading. But now I have like 500 pics on there on this big long list, I can't remember them all, it's too slow to keep clicking on them all, so I find myself posting from my fotki more and more because I can see the pics, but they are shrunken there.

But another thing I worry about is how permanent is photobucket. A lot of people including Sicy have complained about it lately and I'm worried as it gets bigger it might not be able to handle all the pics on its server and could keep having problems or they might give up and shut the whole site down. I'm so afraid of losing pics, ever since I lost my 1100 on webshots that time and other places too, I just want my pics somewhere I know they will be there and if I have to pay it's worth it to keep them safe.

If you upload large pictures and do alot of hot linking, photobucket will send you a warning email saying that your about to exceed your bandwidth and to limit your linking or your linking privilages will be taken away for the rest of the month, which is what happened to me:lol:

I use Boomspeed and Photobucket. I have thought about moving everything to Photobucket, but damn!! I've got a ton of U2 pictures saved on Boomspeed and the thought of moving all that scares me:ohmy:

so yeah, thats the only problem with photobucket which is no big deal really. To much linking and your privilages are taken away for the rest of the month.

Last edited:
SpanishEyes21 said:
I have thought about moving everything to Photobucket, but damn!! I've got a ton of U2 pictures saved on Boomspeed and the thought of moving all that scares me:ohmy:

Me too :sigh: There are just too many, most of which were lost on my old PC, so I'd have to bring each one of the several hundred up, resave them and reupload them, and I don't feel like it. I already did that with the fotki page (still had the old PC when I did most of those) because I wanted an album with thumbnails. If I had found photobucket before boomspeed I'd be happy with it but I can't deal with moving everything now especially since I'd have to pay anyway even though it might be less with photobucket. If anybody wants to switch, let us know how it goes. Kelly please keep us updated on the bandwidth thing, will $30 a year be enough or will they bug ya again?

Sicy said:
Photobucket is PISSING me off tonite. I use it sometimes for my ebay auctions and guess what, photobucket is down right now so none of my auction pictures are showing up. I had to revise 7 auctions I am so mad. I could be losing money right now. This isnt the first time this has happened either. :madspit:

I even donated $5.00 a few weeks ago because I liked it. btw if you donate money they will give you unlimited bandwidth. But lotta good its doing me now isnt it.

ugh, I can't upload anything today :mad: they had this message up

"Well, morning is here and we are still working on one of our nfs servers. You'll notice the pictures are back but many people will be unable to update their account. We want to keep the filesystem in readonly mode until we have a permanent solution. Writing to it could risk data loss or corruption. As always, I will update you on the status."

:banghead:

Has anybody lost like there entire photobucket account?:( There server is having problems and I cant even get to the main page of my account. I get a page saying web site does not exist.

Oh Esther that's so scary :yikes: That's exactly how I lost my webshots page. I kept checking again and again thinking it would come back but it never did :sad: But this is not the same thing so I hope yours will be back :hug:

I have noticed all day that every pic posted by souly is not showing up anymore:|

Seems like I remember photobucket had some kind of disaster last year and some people lost some stuff, but their accounts were okay. I sure hope everyone's accounts and pics are safe and will be back up soon!

Back
Top Bottom