PGP: Whistle While You Whizz.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last New Years, we cooked our turkey in a garbage can, so that obviously made stuffing the bird a bit impossible. :lol: We just did the stuffing separately. That turkey is by far and away the best one I've ever had. I'm drooling just thinking about it! :drool: Of course, the turkey was organic, and my brother spent a shitload of money on it, so maybe that contributed a lot to the awesome taste... :lol:

Dude, he's a keeper!

2 years ago, my sister made dinner. We're pulling the stuffing out of the bird and notice it looks really dry. She's scratching her head and saying, "No sure why it's like this."

I ask, "Did you cook it beforehand?"

She looks at me, "Cook it?"

"Yeah, you mix it with water, butter, celery, onion...whatever. Then you stuff the bird."

She opened the bag of stuffing and shoved it up the bird's arse. That was it. We sent her a message about that for this year.

OMG :lmao:

Ok I've got a good one. Years ago my sister in law thought she'd try the cooking in the bag method. She was horrified to discover that the turkey was coated and drenched in gooey melted plastic when she pulled it from the oven. When my brother asked her what kind of cooking bags she bought she said cooking bags? :crack:

*blink* How do you cook it in a garbage can?

It's pretty awesome! You have to do it outside.

1. Heat up a ton of charcoals. This is something you have to do throughout the process, so keep heating up charcoals.
2. Drive a stake into the ground. Cover the area all around the stake with tin foil.
3. Cover your turkey with butter and spices, stick the turkey onto the stake and wire it securely on there so it doesn't fall off.
4. Put a new (and clean!) metal garbage can on top.
5. Shovel hot coals on the top of the garbage can and all around the bottom, making sure it's completely covered in hot coals.
6. Leave it to cook for 2 hours, making sure to add more hot coals as needed.
7. Scrape off the coals and carefully lift the garbage can off of the turkey.
8. Remove turkey from the stake, and let it sit for a while so the juices settle.
9. Eat!

I have a bunch of pictures that I can link you to, if you'd like. It's a lot of fun to do! :D

Ok I've got a good one. Years ago my sister in law thought she'd try the cooking in the bag method. She was horrified to discover that the turkey was coated and drenched in gooey melted plastic when she pulled it from the oven. When my brother asked her what kind of cooking bags she bought she said cooking bags? :crack:

OMG! :laugh:

Ok, I'm watching Food Network's Thanksgiving Live while looking for a recipe for squash. Anyway - all the chefs are saying to NOT cook the stuffing in the bird. They say it compromises the flavor of the bird and is a health risk.

Have we NOT be doing this for decades if not centuries? For those who are doing Thanksgiving (knowing we have BIG international group here) are you stuffing your bird?

Decades definitely.... not sure how long stuffing has been around...

At least, stuffing as we know it. :shifty: :D

Last year for Thanksgiving, we had a turkey, but the lady we were staying with at the time (we now call her Sybil, after that movie with the girl who has multiple personalities :crack:) DID NOT COOK IT PROPERLY. By 9pm (yes, it took her that long to admit defeat), my parents and I told her "just forget it" and we had a vegetarian meal: mashed potatoes, pie, corn, and the like. :lol:

Re: garbage can turkeyfest — O.O Holy crap, that sounds intense.

It was so much fun! It was well below freezing on the day we decided to do this, so it took forever to get the coals going. :lol: We stood around the hot coals while the turkey cooked, and drank beer and laughed at how white trash we were being. :lol: It was awesome. :D

Thora, that actually sounds fun. I'd just be in fear of everything around me burning :giggle:

In other news, the world has officially come to an end; I've found a New Order song that annoys me to no end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUhZ30D7tYU

wtfisthis.png

Hey you guys. That ginormous scan I posted of the Q subscriber cover. Is that eyeliner?? It looks like it on the lower rim of the eye closest to the camera. I'm not suggesting he wears it all the time, but it looks like maybe a makeup artist put a smidge on for the photoshoot. :hmm:

Tara, it applies to that song very well :crack:

it was definitely my expression when I heard it...

Well, I'm off to the thrift store I'd never even heard of til now. *cough* Not a hipster at all...really...

Comet, yeah, that's eyeliner. :hmm: I wonder if he put it on himself or if someone else did it bc he would probably poke his eye out...(probably the latter)

Oh toasty unfrosted strawberry Poptart, why do i love thee so? :scream:

:lol: I haven't had Poptarts in AGES! :hmm:

Thora, that actually sounds fun. I'd just be in fear of everything around me burning :giggle:

That's why you do it in the fall/winter when the ground is cold, and pick a spot of ground that's very barren. My parents' back yard is really big, and there's a very rocky and not so attractive part of it, so it was a perfect place to cook the turkey. It would obviously be a lot harder to do it in the city. :)

:lol: I haven't had Poptarts in AGES! :hmm:

I hadn't had one in a while but I accidentally mentioned them the other day and Charlie knows they're one of my guilty pleasures, so a box magically appeared in the cupboard yesterday. Dammit! :lol:

I hadn't had one in a while but I accidentally mentioned them the other day and Charlie knows they're one of my guilty pleasures, so a box magically appeared in the cupboard yesterday. Dammit! :lol:

:lol: He sounds like quite the catch! Gotta love someone who will do things like that for you. :)

I'm excited for the new Q! I was in Chapters the other day looking for the issue because I thought they were on the November cover. :lol: Guess the Dec issue will be in stores around here right before I go on vacation. It will be perfect reading material for my multiple plane rides! :D

:lol: He sounds like quite the catch! Gotta love someone who will do things like that for you. :)

I'm excited for the new Q! I was in Chapters the other day looking for the issue because I thought they were on the November cover. :lol: Guess the Dec issue will be in stores around here right before I go on vacation. It will be perfect reading material for my multiple plane rides! :D

Aww well yeah he's a pretty good guy. :cute: We've come a long way and it's turned out all good, but we haven't been without our rocky past and troubled youth. :lol: We met when he was in a band and I was a fan. The rock and roll lifestyle went way out of control you could say. But that was a loooong time ago. These days he likes to feel he and Adam are kindred souls in that way. :wink:

I have my Q and GQ magazines on my piano in the living room where i can see them 24/7. :love:

Christmas visitation plans always make me break into a rash. We barely managed to hammer out Thanksgiving. Having family close can be more problematic. Mainly because my mom makes it tough and never wants to share. Two years in a row, my mom tried to cancel Christmas either the night before or the morning of. I can't wait to see what she does this year.

ugh - Mr.Z's family used to sort of ruin christmas for us every year - they'd be 4 hours late or decide not to come and just exclude the three of us. Now we have the "Come over or not, we don't give a rat's arse" attitude and that seems to solve the problem.

Mr.Z is the only one of his siblings who's married so, after 15 years of being with him, I'm still the outsider, as is my son - guilt by association.
:|

What?! That's the first I've heard of it being a health risk. :huh: We almost always cook the stuffing ahead of time, then put it in the bird to finish cooking. It's never compromised the flavour of the bird in a bad way. :tsk: All the turkeys we've had have been juicy and flavourful. None of us have ever gotten sick before. They must be on crack. :tsk:

My mom always did some in and some out so there was enough for everyone + leftovers.

Dude, he's a keeper!

2 years ago, my sister made dinner. We're pulling the stuffing out of the bird and notice it looks really dry. She's scratching her head and saying, "No sure why it's like this."

I ask, "Did you cook it beforehand?"

She looks at me, "Cook it?"

"Yeah, you mix it with water, butter, celery, onion...whatever. Then you stuff the bird."

She opened the bag of stuffing and shoved it up the bird's arse. That was it. We sent her a message about that for this year.

lol - that's hilarious, as it Comet's bag story

Last New Years, we cooked our turkey in a garbage can, so that obviously made stuffing the bird a bit impossible. :lol: We just did the stuffing separately. That turkey is by far and away the best one I've ever had. I'm drooling just thinking about it! :drool: Of course, the turkey was organic, and my brother spent a shitload of money on it, so maybe that contributed a lot to the awesome taste... :lol:

I remember you telling us about that.

Hey you guys. That ginormous scan I posted of the Q subscriber cover. Is that eyeliner?? It looks like it on the lower rim of the eye closest to the camera. I'm not suggesting he wears it all the time, but it looks like maybe a makeup artist put a smidge on for the photoshoot. :hmm:

It's still on there from 2009 - Maybeline long lasting, ftw.

ugh - Mr.Z's family used to sort of ruin christmas for us every year - they'd be 4 hours late or decide not to come and just exclude the three of us. Now we have the "Come over or not, we don't give a rat's arse" attitude and that seems to solve the problem.

Mr.Z is the only one of his siblings who's married so, after 15 years of being with him, I'm still the outsider, as is my son - guilt by association.
:|

My mom always did some in and some out so there was enough for everyone + leftovers.

lol - that's hilarious, as it Comet's bag story

I remember you telling us about that.

It's still on there form 2009 - Maybeline long lasting, ftw.

Ha! I wondered if it was tattooed on. If so, no Bono, no.

Aww well yeah he's a pretty good guy. :cute: We've come a long way and it's turned out all good, but we haven't been without our rocky past and troubled youth. :lol: We met when he was in a band and I was a fan. The rock and roll lifestyle went way out of control you could say. But that was a loooong time ago. These days he likes to feel he and Adam are kindred souls in that way. :wink:

I have my Q and GQ magazines on my piano in the living room where i can see them 24/7. :love:

Aww, that's awesome. :)

Yup. Always have to make sure there's loads of stuffing - it's always the most popular dish at our dinners. :)

I know! Mr.Z usually leaves anything U2 related to me alone. He'll go to a concert with me in AZ, and if we're in SoCal and doing something social he'll meet up with other fans, but he'd never go to a specific fan-meet-up thing. And he certainly wouldn't drive out to Death Valley (multiple times) with us.

:scratch: 36 guests??? Did someone say something interesting or is it one of those things that someone told us about where there aren't ACTUALLY 36 guests but it's some kind of clean-up or monitoring thing?

I know! Mr.Z usually leaves anything U2 related to me alone. He'll go to a concert with me in AZ, and if we're in SoCal and doing something social he'll meet up with other fans, but he'd never go to a specific fan-meet-up thing. And he certainly wouldn't drive out to Death Valley (multiple times) with us.

you could go to Death Valley on Jan 28 with me and BC :flirt:

my Vikings are getting clobbered, again. To top it off our star player, Adrian Peterson, is out with an ankle injury. So upsetting. I can't bring myself to turn the game off and do something productive even though they're just not able to do anything positive. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom