PGP: Waiting for U2 to Blow Out the Tumbleweeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi VP :wave: Long time no see. I hope everything has been ok for you. :hug: Things are fine for now here. That's great that Sarah's home for her birthday, and quiet bdays are a good thing I think. :) That pie sounds yummmmy. :drool:

Yea...I'm sorry for misleading you. I'm only supposed to take one pill per day and I'm nervous of taking the 40mg on Tuesday.

You didn't mislead me! :)

40 mg is a typical dose, and it's perfectly safe. If you feel that it's not agreeing with you in some way, contact your doctor, but I really doubt that you'll have any issues with it.

Hanging in there. Doing the 'OMG, I only have today off!' Panic of clothes washing. How're things with you?
Things are pretty good, thanks. Been busy. Have a few things to do today, but I'm being as lazy as possible.

40 mg is a typical dose, and it's perfectly safe. If you feel that it's not agreeing with you in some way, contact your doctor, but I really doubt that you'll have any issues with it.

Things are pretty good, thanks. Been busy. Have a few things to do today, but I'm being as lazy as possible.

I love having lazy days. I went out to SuperTarget late last night just to get everything so I wouldn't have to go back out today. Still didn't get EVERYTHING. I forgot sugar and couldn't find salad dressing. But those can wait until Tuesday afternoon.

Hi VP :wave: Long time no see. I hope everything has been ok for you. :hug: Things are fine for now here. That's great that Sarah's home for her birthday, and quiet bdays are a good thing I think. :) That pie sounds yummmmy. :drool:

Things have been...interesting. :lol: Glad to hear things are okay with you. :hug:

Next weekend would have been better. :angry: :shh: Then we would have been able to do something. Oh well. :lol:

I saw that you and the girls are having another Lost marathon! I mentioned that to Sarah last night, asked if we can do it soon, when she gets out of school (end of April) and she said she's not sure if she's quite ready yet. Neither of us have watched any of it since the finale! She still hasn't watched any special features from her box set.

I love having lazy days. I went out to SuperTarget late last night just to get everything so I wouldn't have to go back out today. Still didn't get EVERYTHING. I forgot sugar and couldn't find salad dressing. But those can wait until Tuesday afternoon.

I HATE that, forgetting things at stores. I do that all the time!

GG :kiss: I see there have been interesting developments with the boy. :sexywink:

:up: Gotcha. Yes, that can definitely do wonders after a bad day at work! :giggle:

Things have been...interesting. :lol: Glad to hear things are okay with you. :hug:

Next weekend would have been better. :angry: :shh: Then we would have been able to do something. Oh well. :lol:

I saw that you and the girls are having another Lost marathon! I mentioned that to Sarah last night, asked if we can do it soon, when she gets out of school (end of April) and she said she's not sure if she's quite ready yet. Neither of us have watched any of it since the finale! She still hasn't watched any special features from her box set.

The LOSTathon has been awesome! I also didn't think I was ready yet, and so much was now a blur since the early seasons are sooo long ago now! I was kinda meh about starting it but my kids really wanted to so I was like eh ok. We have the blu-ray awesome set and hadn't watched any yet either, waiting to put a little time between us. Anyway... almost as soon as we started I was just sucked back in big time. :lol: It's been so nostalgic, and things that were confusing before now make such sense, I find I'm enjoying it in a whole new different way. Even episodes that at the time seemed pointless and dumb have some key or important elements tucked here or there. And the best thing is that we still laugh our asses off over so much of it. We find we can love and hate things about it all at once, and THAT is a good thing! :D It's all a part of the awesomeness of LOST. That even the silly or dumb stuff becomes legend with us and we still love it. And that probably makes no sense to anyone who doesn't get it, but I think you do I hope (and you too Thora! :D )

I HATE that, forgetting things at stores. I do that all the time!

GG :kiss: I see there have been interesting developments with the boy. :sexywink:

Yeah life is starting to look upwards finally. Seeing that psych about my autism thing made me realise that I've been very lonely for a very long time.. he noted it and he's right. It feels so good to have someone like you for who you are. And now mutual friends claim it's obvious for both of us too, so I guess it's gonna be all right. Just need a bit of time. :)

How's you been? :hug:

The LOSTathon has been awesome! I also didn't think I was ready yet, and so much was now a blur since the early seasons are sooo long ago now! I was kinda meh about starting it but my kids really wanted to so I was like eh ok. We have the blu-ray awesome set and hadn't watched any yet either, waiting to put a little time between us. Anyway... almost as soon as we started I was just sucked back in big time. :lol: It's been so nostalgic, and things that were confusing before now make such sense, I find I'm enjoying it in a whole new different way. Even episodes that at the time seemed pointless and dumb have some key or important elements tucked here or there. And the best thing is that we still laugh our asses off over so much of it. We find we can love and hate things about it all at once, and THAT is a good thing! :D It's all a part of the awesomeness of LOST. That even the silly or dumb stuff becomes legend with us and we still love it. And that probably makes no sense to anyone who doesn't get it, but I think you do I hope (and you too Thora! :D )

Yeah, I totally get that! :up: The thing with us (and probably more Sarah than me...it's faded a bit for me, but not so much for her yet) is that (spoilers about the series finale)

we became SO attached to almost all of the characters, and felt really deeply for them when bad things would happen, which was almost constantly, lol, so that when the alt universe came up and good things happened for them, we wanted it to be real SO badly, because we felt that after all they'd been through, they deserved some happiness and contentment in their lives. We're both agnostic/atheist (Sarah probably even more strongly so than me) and when it was revealed that the alternate world was heaven/whatever, we both felt cheated on behalf of the characters - it wasn't real, it was some BS pre-heaven thingy.

That said, I don't think either of us hated the finale. Speaking for myself, I didn't. In fact, it's still probably my favourite show ever. I just...I dunno. Felt like both me and the characters were cheated out of what they/we deserved. It didn't have the emotional resonance/satisfaction for us that it would have had for a believer, you know? And we both wanted so badly for it to be real for them, that when it wasn't, it was deeply disappointing and it hurt, as lame as that probably sounds. :lol:

So, I felt for a long time that I needed distance from it. I think I'm getting better now, and I could probably watch it again. She said she still needs more time though, she's not quite ready yet.

This one's for Zu's collection. :wink:
band0794li0.jpg

Yeah life is starting to look upwards finally. Seeing that psych about my autism thing made me realise that I've been very lonely for a very long time.. he noted it and he's right. It feels so good to have someone like you for who you are. And now mutual friends claim it's obvious for both of us too, so I guess it's gonna be all right. Just need a bit of time. :)

How's you been? :hug:

Good, glad to hear you're getting things figured out! :)

I've been busy. Basically what I said to Wild a couple of pages ago. Taking a breather today. Who knows that tomorrow will bring. :lol:

Good, glad to hear you're getting things figured out! :)

I've been busy. Basically what I said to Wild a couple of pages ago. Taking a breather today. Who knows that tomorrow will bring. :lol:
Ah woops, I must've missed that. A lazy day every once in a while isn't that bad. :up:

Edge looks so naughty there... like he knows the answer and he's deliberately letting them figure it out for amusement.

That's what happened. The question was if they knew how the U2 iPod works. ;)

Yeah, I totally get that! :up: The thing with us (and probably more Sarah than me...it's faded a bit for me, but not so much for her yet) is that (spoilers about the series finale)

we became SO attached to almost all of the characters, and felt really deeply for them when bad things would happen, which was almost constantly, lol, so that when the alt universe came up and good things happened for them, we wanted it to be real SO badly, because we felt that after all they'd been through, they deserved some happiness and contentment in their lives. We're both agnostic/atheist (Sarah probably even more strongly so than me) and when it was revealed that the alternate world was heaven/whatever, we both felt cheated on behalf of the characters - it wasn't real, it was some BS pre-heaven thingy.

That said, I don't think either of us hated the finale. Speaking for myself, I didn't. In fact, it's still probably my favourite show ever. I just...I dunno. Felt like both me and the characters were cheated out of what they/we deserved. It didn't have the emotional resonance/satisfaction for us that it would have had for a believer, you know? And we both wanted so badly for it to be real for them, that when it wasn't, it was deeply disappointing and it hurt, as lame as that probably sounds. :lol:

So, I felt for a long time that I needed distance from it. I think I'm getting better now, and I could probably watch it again. She said she still needs more time though, she's not quite ready yet.

I'll just spoiler this whole post!

I get what you are saying about needing some time, I felt that way too! But it's interesting that you felt that way about the finale. Me and my kids are not great believers or anything, in fact we are much more science minded than faith minded, but we didn't get that at all from the end, that you need to be a believer for it to work. I don't know, that's what I liked about Lost, it showed that it can be both ways, or that it IS both ways... I felt the alt world WAS real for them, it was a part of their lives as much as anything else, hence becoming real/ a real part of their "life". They did get to be with the people they loved after all. No matter which reality it was a part of, they experienced it... that was what I took from that. Maybe that makes no sense sorry, :reject: I am probably the worst ever at being able to explain things in my head. ANYWAY, the island was both science and faith, and the characters saw it from their own perspectives. I LOVED that (IMO) the show said, hey guess what... they are the SAME THING... one man's "science" is another's "faith" but it's all the same. It clicked with me, probably why I fell in love instantly with Bono's one line on NLOTH... just tucked away in Stand Up Comedy, it's become my favorite line of his ever: "...love is evolution's very best day." You don't even need the previous "God is Love" part for it to make sense, though it does, because even a non believer can agree that Love is a pretty big and good idea. ;) Anyways... that's probably a whole nother conversation... but hopefully you see what I'm saying. :reject: Again, anyways... I have a feeling you'll be enjoying it again! :hug:

:up: Gotcha. Yes, that can definitely do wonders after a bad day at work! :giggle:

It totally makes sense. :up:

And as for what you both said about the finale

I'm a Christian, so the afterlife/heaven thing appealed to me in that sense, but I totally understand how those who don't believe that definitely had valid reason to dislike it. But like comet said, I think they did experience those things, on some plane of reality. I couldn't explain it, though comet did a better job than I probably could have. :lol:

I'll probably wait for a few more months to re-watch it again. I wanted to see it as soon as I got it last summer, because I hadn't seen any episodes since they aired (none of my channels aired any reruns). Time between viewings is definitely good.

It totally makes sense. :up:

And as for what you both said about the finale

I'm a Christian, so the afterlife/heaven thing appealed to me in that sense, but I totally understand how those who don't believe that definitely had valid reason to dislike it. But like comet said, I think they did experience those things, on some plane of reality. I couldn't explain it, though comet did a better job than I probably could have. :lol:

I'll probably wait for a few more months to re-watch it again. I wanted to see it as soon as I got it last summer, because I hadn't seen any episodes since they aired (none of my channels aired any reruns). Time between viewings is definitely good.

Ahh cool! :applaud: I'm glad someone could actually figure out what I tried to say. :lol:

:lol: I suck at explaining things, so it's always nice when someone is able to word what I have in my brain but am unable to get out of my mouth or fingertips. :lol:

And I got the bottle last Tuesday (since my father wanted me to get my bottle of Prozac right away) and since I haven't used it yet, I know I'm going to be fine.

I'll just spoiler this whole post!

Me too!

Yeah, I totally get what you mean, you explained it very well. :)

I think the difference in perspectives with us is that while you guys "are not great believers," we're more "active non-believers." The reason I call myself agnostic is because I'm not so firmly entrenched in my beliefs that if presented with some sort of evidence of an afterlife, I'd still deny it. It would just take evidence to get me to believe. So while what happened on screen may have been real to the characters and was part of their experience, to me, it's akin to telling a very engrossing, compelling story, and then having it end by making the characters fall down into the hole and go into Wonderland, or having them end up at Santa's workshop in the North Pole. :lol: It didn't resonate with us, because according to our core beliefs, the afterlife where all of this happened to them doesn't exist, and so it wasn't real, as opposed to it happening in the real-world here-and-now, and so all of those good things didn't really happen to them. And as I mentioned, we wanted those things to happen for them SO much that when they weren't real (to us), it was crushing, and very, very disappointing.

All that said, I do realize that there's a disconnect in the way that we couldn't accept the ending with the afterlife because of our beliefs, and yet we were able to accept the premise of an island in the tropics that had polar bears and smoke monsters, and all that shit. :lol: Weird, I know.

Does that explain any better how it was for us? Like, I get the whole science vs faith thing, and I do have faith in some things - for example, personally, faith that when I'm in the midst of a bad situation, things will ultimately turn out okay, or that making one decision over another is best. But as far as religious faith or the belief in an afterlife, I have none at all, and that's why it didn't work for me, and why the last 10 minutes was so disappointing to me.

I'm going to add one more thing to my Lost blab. :wink:

VP, you can also look at it like this: There really is nothing stating that the alt world was a Christian idea only, like an afterlife or a step to heaven. It very well COULD be a reality, an alternate reality. Remember at the beginning of the season we saw so many little things from both worlds bleeding into each other. So I think it is still very open to interpretation. (Another very smart thing about Lost!)

I also see the very clear definition as Dharma were the men of science: they saw the island as only a source of power to be used and expoited for research into stuff like time travel. That it was.

The others were the men of faith, who had Jacob and the Man in Black dictating their lives and destiny. Both groups saw the same thing, but from their own perspectives. Our characters in the show saw these things too, but they experienced parts of both POV's.

The Man in Black as a character was no different, he had the mind of a scientist, wanting to harness the power of the island.

:reject: time for me to stop.

Back
Top Bottom