PGP: Waiting for U2 to Blow Out the Tumbleweeds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not everything in the world is pop culture, and just because Entertainment Weekly doesn't cover it doesn't mean it's not art.

Ha. Well said. Did the other person respond?

Just popping back in for a sec. Have any of you guys seen the documentary Catfish? We just watched it. Holy shit. It's well worth a watch. :up:

Zooey, that "interview" sounds ridiculous and pointless, and as I was reading it, I also thought "speed dating!" I know a bit about the emphasis on test scores down there (it's a national thing, right?), but is drama even one of the things included in those tests?

gStag10.jpg

8902b.jpg

SarastroA460.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/19/arts/music/19gure.html?_r=1

Okay, that's probably more Julie Taymor than anyone in this thread wanted but what can I say? I've been a fan since I saw her production of The King Stag in 7th grade. I didn't understand it at all but visually, it left a major impression on my little creative brain.

:nerd:

Not everything in the world is pop culture, and just because Entertainment Weekly doesn't cover it doesn't mean it's not art.

Ha. Well said. Did the other person respond?

Not yet. I may have been on my high horse just a bit there. :reject: :giggle:

Just popping back in for a sec. Have any of you guys seen the documentary Catfish? We just watched it. Holy shit. It's well worth a watch. :up:

Zooey, that "interview" sounds ridiculous and pointless, and as I was reading it, I also thought "speed dating!" I know a bit about the emphasis on test scores down there (it's a national thing, right?), but is drama even one of the things included in those tests?

Haven't seen Catfish. What's it about?
No, drama isn't "tested" but the asst. superintendent tried to tell one of my students that I wasn't doing anything to help her (the student) understand the concepts on the test. Like hell!!! We do as much literary analysis as any English lit class! Don't tell me I don't help kids read. AND all of my students end the year with an original playwriting competition, with the best original scripts from each class being produced. Don't tell me I don't help them become better writers. :angry: (not angry at you, of course, but the argument that 'drama doesn't affect test scores is a double edged sword)

That's the meeting-strangers-on-Facebook movie, right? I remember reading about it when it came out. It had a lot of buzz, but I think there was some controversy over how "real" it actually was.

I need to put that in my Netflix queue.

just IMDB'd Catfish, VP. Sounds freaky.

Oh, Cori, I just started reading "Love Is a Mix Tape". I don't know... I can't say I love it. It's not really grabbing me.

No, drama isn't "tested" but the asst. superintendent tried to tell one of my students that I wasn't doing anything to help her (the student) understand the concepts on the test. Like hell!!! We do as much literary analysis as any English lit class! Don't tell me I don't help kids read. AND all of my students end the year with an original playwriting competition, with the best original scripts from each class being produced. Don't tell me I don't help them become better writers. :angry: (not angry at you, of course, but the argument that 'drama doesn't affect test scores is a double edged sword)

It definitely helps with all of that, plus you get all of those intangible and untestable benefits like self confidence, improved public speaking abilities, comfort with giving presentations, and things like that.

eta - in fact, Sarah and I were talking about that earlier today. In the program I was in, and the one she's currently in, you have to give presentations up the wazoo. She had to give a super intimidating one earlier this week, and I was asking about her level of nervousness. She said that she's never really that nervous with school presentations, which is kind of weird because she tends to be very quiet and reserved, and she attributed her comfort level with them largely to her high school drama classes.

That's the meeting-strangers-on-Facebook movie, right? I remember reading about it when it came out. It had a lot of buzz, but I think there was some controversy over how "real" it actually was.

I need to put that in my Netflix queue.

That's the one. Apparently the filmmakers maintain that the whole thing is true. I can see it happening. I've read many similar stories - much worse, in fact - and I can see how they started making a film about it, before they actually knew it was going to turn out to be a thing. I don't want to say any more about it, because the less it's spoiled the better, but if either of you ever see it, I'd be curious to hear what you think of it.

It definitely helps with all of that, plus you get all of those intangible and untestable benefits like self confidence, improved public speaking abilities, comfort with giving presentations, and things like that.

eta - in fact, Sarah and I were talking about that earlier today. In the program I was in, and the one she's currently in, you have to give presentations up the wazoo. She had to give a super intimidating one earlier this week, and I was asking about her level of nervousness. She said that she's never really that nervous with school presentations, which is kind of weird because she tends to be very quiet and reserved, and she attributed her comfort level with them largely to her high school drama classes.

:love:

And I can't remember the last time Mr.Z and I watched a movie :sad: I don't know why we don't. I guess it's that by the time the little guy goes to bed and we clean up dinner, it's too late to start a movie most nights. I tried to get him to make a run to the Red Box on Friday but he didn't want to. But it does sound intriguing.

Zu, VP, anyone else! :hug:

That's such utter bullshit about the "interview", Zu! It sounds like they're almost setting everyone up to fail. Sounds dodgy as.

In any case, if they don't recognise that you're an awesome teacher and they need you, then they don't deserve you. Best of luck, no matter what happens! :hug:

Weldy, I hope the treatment's helping you feel better. :hug:

GG, hope things continue to go well with the boy (and that you can shake off the germs... I've got a yucky cold at the moment).

Cori, hope your show happens!

Those cake pop things look amazing. Half the Starbucks here went out of business a few years ago, but I'll keep an eye out!

Comet, I think the Edge pic you posted for Zu was one of the new ones with him and Bono and some other guy in the middle?

Can't think of what else I've read through catching up... ooh, welcome back Wild!

You guys are all going to have such an awesome time at the gigs. :up:

And my Dr Who obsession continues to grow apace. :lol: :reject:

^ I'm sure that would go over reaaaaaalllly well. "Um Zooey... I mean, Maryann... is really good at um... coming up with funny captions for U2 pictures... and she can sense when ANYONE is talking about shirtless Larry... What do you mean "Who's Larry?' :scratch: "

W00t! Now I just have to remember to save it tonight when I get home.

How's everyone's Monday going? I'm teaching a lesson on Hamlet to a bunch of Senior honors English students today - I'm really excited about it! :hyper:
:nerd:

^mmm :drool: hot chocolate (of course it's supposed to be 83F today :rolleyes: ) The parent association left a present of a whole bag of mini chocolate bars in my mailbox this morning :drool:

*wonders if the seniors will say "I just got out of my English class where the crazy drama teacher came in and babbled on and on about how cool Hamlet was. :yawn: *

What's the essay about?

They just don't know any better I guess. Hamlet is cool :up:

It's warmer here today too :hyper: Only 8 degrees but it's such a nice change from the freezing winter we had. I'm hoping it just keeps warming up everyday so all the snow melts :wink:

I have two more essays to write. The one I'm working on now is for my Canadian Federalism class. It's about the linguistic divide between our two official languages.

I also have one to write for my Ontario politics class. That one is about fiscal federalism in Canada and our social programs like the Health Transfer Program and Equalization payments.

I'd be interested to hear about both of those topics Kristen!:up: I'd love to hear your take on it!

I'm working really short shifts this week. I could have had the week off, but I picked up some extra hours to I have more money to put towards Montreal/Toronto!:hyper:

If the petition doesn't do the trick, an ole-fashioned PLEBA posse may have to descend on your school, Zu... :evil:

Glad my memory works occasionally!

Good luck with the essays, Kristen! Politics tends to make me confused or angry, or both. *L* :reject:

Ugh, I still have my cold, but I don't feel as bad as I did yesterday, so I can't justify taking the day off sick. :( Sigh!

Ta... And you know what? Fuck it. I'm still sick, I'm coughing my guts up, and I shouldn't even have gone in on Friday. No one there wants my germs, I have sick leave, and I want to be better for the gig tomorrow night. (ACSS! :hyper: ) As soon as I find my boss's phone number, I'm going back to bed.

Daz, glad to hear you're getting some quality art time and that you're feeling inspired.
:hug:sss thanks!!!

What's SO wonderful this (as I have said) is that I get a partly active-sense of imagination and skill sets there not far under under the surface; when I consciously think about going back to the drawings I've started instead ofbeing locked away in my mind as it often has been over the past 16 yrs! And I get new ideas here and there as well; either tangental to what I've already been working on OR new ones sparked by various things! It's the longest sustained active-sense that I've had since 1999! Previous to 1995 many of these skills & esp my imagination were easily accessible most of the time instead not much at all much of the time!

Now I'm talking strictly about drawing, painting notabout crafts those usually were not affected, or way not as much.

Thanks everyone for the positive thoughts and kind words. We're supposed to hear back this week about whether or not we get the 2nd interview. At that one, they ask 5 more formulaic questions and then we have to teach a mini-lesson. I don't know why they don't just come into our classrooms and see the real thing!
:mad:
What stupid ass type of interviewing shit you're going through !!!
:gah::gah::scream: (I'll pitch a fit for you-
yeah, like a designated pitch-fitter!!! :wink:)

What VP said about the type of skills you can gain from theater is spot on! Unless you were a really bad student for what ever reason(s) a student will get at least one of those skills!

You go, grrl!!!! We iz right behind you! :cheer:

I'm working really short shifts this week. I could have had the week off, but I picked up some extra hours to I have more money to put towards Montreal/Toronto!: hyper :
Good for you Amy!

If the petition doesn't do the trick, an ole-fashioned PLEBA posse may have to descend on your school, Zu... :evil:

That's riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, Aussiegrrl! :evil:
We'll see what a Mighty PGP Posse can do!!!!

That's righty, we're coming to a Tucson Desert near youuuu!! :fist: LOL

Feel better! {{hug}}
{ You should go out pick a few eucalyptus leaves, put 'em in a pot'o-H2O and get a good head/chest clearing steam a'going!!! :yes: :D }

what !!??!! : 0 none of those near you? : (

Ali - your new sig is adorable :cute::heart:

Zooey - too bad you can't take a look at all the contemporary criticism of Hamlet - one of my required courses for my honours year in university was Contemporary Critical Theory, and the group project I was assigned to lead (with the TA, who was damn hot and unfortunately taken :lol:) was looking at criticism of the play... We picked a whole bunch of stuff, including feminist critics who were looking at the role of Ophelia and the Queen, psychological theories, etc. (Mind you I still disagree with the 'incest' one between the Queen and Hamlet that was also brought out somewhat in the Mel Gibson movie of the play...) </Shakespeare geek>

Back
Top Bottom