PGP: Unzipping large packages.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MBS said:

Also, did I cannot begin to express my respect (reverence? awe? something :lol: ) at you doing a thesis. The had a thesis survival series the other day that I dropped into.
Omg :yikes: They scare the living daylights out of me.

Thanks :hug: You know what I've found, though? Every step that is a step ahead of where you actually are is intimidating. But once you get there, and find out what it's all about, it's not nearly so bad.

For example...at the beginning of the meeting today, he stated that he wanted us all to meet together because we are his "elite," as opposed to the ordinary people just in his lab group. And quite honestly, because it's been so long since I've been to any group meeting, I found it intimidating, and scary...and the fact that all were grad students except for two of us didn't help. :yikes: But I talked to him alone for a few minutes after the meeting, and he was SO awesome, understands that whole generational thing where you have both kids and parents that need to be taken care of...he's there, too.

I 'm sorry to go on and on about it...but when I'm there, I feel a passion like I've never felt before. I belong there. You know how you feel like you've found your niche? I'm convinced that's mine.

And I was thinking about you today...what about you and Guelph?? :heart:

Last edited:
VintagePunk said:

Thanks :hug You know what I've found, though? Every step that is a step ahead of where you actually are is intimidating. But once you get there, and find out what it's all about, it's not nearly so bad.

For example...at the beginning of the meeting today, he stated that he wanted us all to meet together because we are his "elite," as opposed to the ordinary people just in his lab group. And quite honestly, because it's been so long since I've been to any group meeting, I found it intimidating, and scary...and the fact that all were grad students except for two of us didn't help. :yikes But I talked to him alone for a few minutes after the meeting, and he was SO awesome, understands that whole generational thing where you have both kids and parents that need to be taken are of...he's there, too.

I 'm sorry to go on and on about it...but when I'm there, I feel a passion like I've never felt before. I belong there. You know how you feel like you've found your niche? I'm convinced that's mine.

And I was thinking about you today...what about you and Guelph?? :heart

:hug:

I'm glad you have such a great working relationship with Scott. It was one of things they insisted was highly importnat. But I doubt you really needed to be nervous, I'm sure you are more than in your element. It shows when you talk about it, and your abailities show in the praise you get from Scott. :yes:

And I honestly don't mind you going on about. Even when you go on for hours and hours and hours...and....:tongue:
It's always nice to see someone talk about something they really enjoy.

Aww, thinkin bout me? :heart:

Well, I've still got stuff to do before Guelph. Next year I can finally take the courses they require of me (that I needed chem for ). Then of course, there's the oh so wonderful MCAT...:yikes:
And I haven't quite decided wtheck I'm doing. I figure that if I can, I'll get my Arts&Science degree.
And I only recently learned about combining......and apparently I'm supposed to decide by the end of this year :uhoh:
So I'm looking inot A minor in bio + my AS degree.
But who has time to think about this stuff with 1000 assignments going on?

Ack :crazy:

Long story short, hopefully I'll get my arse there someday :sigh:

I miss HS where all the big decisions came in gr 12...:love:

Last edited:
MBS said:

:hug

I'm glad you have such a great working relationship with Scott. It was one of things they insisted was highly importnat. But I doubt you really needed to be nervous, I'm sure you are more than in your element. It shows when you talk about it, and your abailities show in the praise you get from Scott. :yes

And I honestly don't mind you going on about. Even when you go on for hours and hours and hours...and....:tongue
It's always nice to see someone talk about something they really enjoy.

Aww, thinkin bout me? :heart

Well, I've still got stuff to do before Guelph. Next year I can finally take the courses they require of me (that I needed chem for ). Then of course, there's the oh so wonderful MCAT...:yikes:
And I haven't quite decided wtheck I'm doing. I figure that if I can, I'll get my Arts&Science degree.
And I only recently learned about combining......and apparently I'm supposed to decide by the end of this year :uhoh:
So I'm looking inot A minor in bio + my AS degree.
But who has time to think about this stuff with 1000 assignments going on?

Ack :crazy:

Long story short, hopefully I'll get my arse there someday :sigh:

I miss HS where all the big decisions came in gr 12...:love:

Sarah came with me today...I dangled the promise of Tim Horton's peanut butter chocolate chunk cookies, and she was there. :lol: She sat inthe lounge till we were done.

One of the grad students at the meeting was describing his study, and Scott commented that it could not only be the basis for all his grad work, but it could also be a lifetime of study.

With my study, I'm gathering far more data than I need, but they keep saying that depending upon my results, the extra data can be used for follow-up studies. Maybe this is overly possessive but that data is mine, and I want to be the one to use it!! I don't want any new grad students taking credit for my data. :grumpy:

Ideally, I'd love to go back to UW for my grad studies, and continue on. Scott seemed afraid of me getting a job though, when we were talking today. :lol:

If there's ANYTHING I can do with your upcoming advisor selection, or thesis, please, let me know. :heart:

VintagePunk said:

If there's ANYTHING I can do with your upcoming advisor selection, or thesis, please, let me know. :heart:

Is clinging to you pathetically in fear alright with you??

:lol::wink:

:hug: :heart:
It doesn't really get started till next year, but me being me (and as fearful of thesis's as I am) I was checking it out. Better the devil you know right?
They were trying to be comforting by saying it's just a *massive* inquiry paper. I'm not sure I'm comforted. :lol:

I did learn, however, that in some areas there is a 'shortage' of advisors....so it's best to start looking early.

But don't think I won't be taking you up on your offer. I appreciate any and all advice/help I can get.
I will defineatly come running to you, you may regret it. :lol:

Omg, did you know some people do two thesis? :crazy:

:laugh:

How'd you know?

I tried to be quiet about it....:tongue:

Btw, If I came up with an idea, collected data and all that for something...I would kill if someone tried to take it from me. :madwife:
It's mine and they can't have it. :angry:

I mean it's your work, your time and effort, etc, etc. No one else should be allowed to 'take' it, especially if your still interested in doing more with it.

Last edited:
:ohmy:
It's almost 3. :sigh:

I've got to head to bed. *pout*
And no, I'm *not* leaving cause I'm bored. :tongue:

I'm glad today went well and you enjoyedyourself more than expected.
We must contine this chat, and be 'boring' again later.

Sweet dreams. :hug: :heart:
:clonelove:

Sorry :reject: I was doing some research on things I'm going to have to buy before we move for my work.

VP I can totally understand about not wanting to give the data to someone else after you've done all the hard work! :madwife: They need to get their own! :wink:

Total side note that has me so excited! I just did a mapquest search and it seems that I will now be living only 4 1/2 hours from The Gorge Amphitheather where I saw Pearl Jam play last year. Site of the famous pass out during the show. :lol: I'm gonna have the chance to try it again and this time it will not kick my ass! :madspit: :wink: I will concquer and make it thru a whole show! Oh yes, vengence will be mine! :laugh:

MBS said:

Is clinging to you pathetically in fear alright with you??

:lol::wink:

:hug: :heart:
It doesn't really get started till next year, but me being me (and as fearful of thesis's as I am) I was checking it out. Better the devil you know right?
They were trying to be comforting by saying it's just a *massive* inquiry paper. I'm not sure I'm comforted. :lol:

I did learn, however, that in some areas there is a 'shortage' of advisors....so it's best to start looking early.

But don't think I won't be taking you up on your offer. I appreciate any and all advice/help I can get.
I will defineatly come running to you, you may regret it. :lol:

Omg, did you know some people do two thesis? :crazy:

First, are there any profs whom you've enjoyed their courses, and felt like " gee, I'd love to talk with them for hours, to find our more about what they do?"

This is time to learn from VPs mistakes. I was always too intimidated to approach potential profs in that way. But I've since learned....THAT'S THEIR JOBS....THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE PAYING THEM A GAZILLION $$'S A YEAR FOR.

You have to combine two factors - first (and most importantly) who can teach you what you want to know? Who is studying in an area that you're passipnate about?

Secondly...whose style is similar to your own - who would you feel is comfortable to work with? For example...I adore Scott, it's like working with a peer. But there are some drawbacks, too. He doesn't push me. We're both laisse-faire (or however the hell you spell it). On the other hand, because I can relate to him as a peer, we get into some really interesting cnversations, and I find out things about the field I'm not sure I'd find out from another, more professional prof.

Thanks Russty, about my data. :hug: :lol: '

I'm just at the very beginning stages of gathering it, and yet I'm very protective of it already. :lol:

Night Bri :hug: :clonelove:

Edit - heading to bed, for anyone that's still here. Night :hug:

Last edited:
They didn't say...they only said that he is in the middle of dying :( Therefore I'd assume that it was pretty bad :sad:

Back
Top Bottom