PGP: It's Beer O'Clock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:hmm: very interesting thots about JL and Bono

but i do have to say that alot of us felt ...because there was the Hippie thing and the Progressive (no i didn't like the uber Leftist violent anti-Vietnam war demonstrators, tho i am sorry to say they partly influenced me intellectually on a certain issue for a while <no action, thsnk goodness))...

.... i was in the 3 BIG Moratorium Marches in NYC . My parents forbade me from being able to go to DC for one the big marches.!

....... when JL was murdered that he was a living musical cultural link to parts of the activist '60's (which really didn't end until the ? early '70's :lol:) Particularly for those of us in NYC where he settled to live in

See-- now as a woman who decided i never wanted children... but whom also knows the value of good parenting- blood relatives or not...i wince a bit at talking about how Paul is a good family man quietly.. and it sure seems he was/is....

that JL's activism was of little consequence... because of too pie in the sky etc...

it kind of makes me feel a bit of lesser consequence- since i have been a semi-activist for like 45 yrs (some years more than others) ...and i don't feel that that often in this context... (other contexts, yeah :( at times)

i hope i'm clea- hard to put into words...:)

I have to excuse my tomfoolery tonight. I spent 4 hours in dance recitals today. My nieces were dancing in two separate recitals. I've seen tap, modern jazz, ballet, Irish step....my brain is mush.

However, my daughter was transfixed. I think I know what we'll be doing in the fall. I might see if she likes Irish step since there are a ton of schools that teach it here in Boston. Towards the end, she was toast though. She started dancing off to the side and getting more attention than the girls on stage. She was fascinated by watching her shadow move and groove. And my girl has some moves. I have NO idea where she got them. She loves attention too. She's like my own little Bonoette.

That's so cute! I tried to put Sarah into dance when she was that age, she totally wanted to go, but when she got there, she just wanted to stand on the sidelines. Thus ended her dancing career like three weeks later.

I didn't mean to imply that you did, and I apologize if I came across that way! :) It's more young people who don't bother to find out the history, and then hear "Imagine" a couple of times, and think he can do no wrong. And quite possibly my dislike is a biased reaction to that.

I'm positive I read about the gun thing years ago. I just googled it, and all that comes up when you search his name and guns is Mark David Chapman articles. :( I think it was during the era of his famous "Lost Weekend," though, if that helps.

Yoko may well have changed him (although she was certainly part of that lost weekend...), but all I'm trying to say is that someone with that history probably shouldn't be looked at as the very definition of peace and love. That's all. :) The tendencies and behaviours were there. It just seems incredibly hypocritical to me. Big ideas (as Bono might say), but the behaviour doesn't back it up.
got it! :) :hug:

That's so cute! I tried to put Sarah into dance when she was that age, she totally wanted to go, but when she got there, she just wanted to stand on the sidelines. Thus ended her dancing career like three weeks later.

She had everyone laughing and watching. She really has this weird ability to make people fall in love with her. All the parents at her daycare say that. And I'm not saying that because she's my kid. After all, she's my kid. I see her when she's being less than charming.

I have to excuse my tomfoolery tonight. I spent 4 hours in dance recitals today. My nieces were dancing in two separate recitals. I've seen tap, modern jazz, ballet, Irish step....my brain is mush.

However, my daughter was transfixed. I think I know what we'll be doing in the fall. I might see if she likes Irish step since there are a ton of schools that teach it here in Boston. Towards the end, she was toast though. She started dancing off to the side and getting more attention than the girls on stage. She was fascinated by watching her shadow move and groove. And my girl has some moves. I have NO idea where she got them. She loves attention too. She's like my own little Bonoette.
:lol: wow!

Then Larry has 3 arms and I can see why he'd be smitten....

We need to get Comet and Zu in here posting dueling captions. Bono and Edge can fight over Bono. Sorry Adam, you are NOT invited.

Thanks for the Bono O' C*** tag. Teehee.

Bono and Edge can fight over Bono? GR, your freudian slip is showing. :giggle:

And for the tag? hmm... did I do that. oops :wink:

My little guy's dance recital was last weekend. He had two numbers and was SOOOOO excited about the whole thing - getting into costume, going backstage (without mom and dad), hitting his mark, waiting in the wings. I'm def a proud mama seeing him love the whole backstage thing. He wants to keep dancing - he had a solo in this year's tap number but next year he wants a whole solo song all to himself :lol:

I will never know what that is like. :sad:

Someday! :hug:

See-- now as a woman who decided i never wanted children... but whom also knows the value of good parenting- blood relatives or not...i wince a bit at talking about how Paul is a good family man quietly.. and it sure seems he was/is....

that JL's activism was of little consequence... because of too pie in the sky etc...

it kind of makes me feel a bit of lesser consequence- since i have been a semi-activist for like 45 yrs (some years more than others) ...and i don't feel that that often in this context... (other contexts, yeah :( at times)

i hope i'm clea- hard to put into words...:)

Have you ever heard anything bad about Paul McCartney's parenting? I haven't, and his older children seem to be quite close to him, from everything I've ever heard. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, though.

And as for John's personality vs. the people who started to do good work because of him, I don't think that diminishes those people or that work in any way. Hell, for that matter, regarding my opinion of John, not much will change that, but I'm one person on the internet, sitting in my living room on a Saturday night, spouting off. Doesn't mean my opinion is any more valid than yours, and I didn't mean to imply it is. It's just my opinion from things I've heard over the years, that's all. :hug: :)

Tried to catch up on the thread a little. Thora your skirt story is :cute: I had a skirt that was special to me like that when I was in my 20's. It was white and had red and goldish starfish on it with random red and gold sequins sewed on them. (Not tons of sequins, just a few.) And it was one of those types that if you spun it would flare out into a complete circle. Sounds dorky I know but it was so cute and I wore it to death, like until it was a rag. :lol: I wonder if I have a pic somewhere. :hmm:

My little guy's dance recital was last weekend. He had two numbers and was SOOOOO excited about the whole thing - getting into costume, going backstage (without mom and dad), hitting his mark, waiting in the wings. I'm def a proud mama seeing him love the whole backstage thing. He wants to keep dancing - he had a solo in this year's tap number but next year he wants a whole solo song all to himself :lol:

She had everyone laughing and watching. She really has this weird ability to make people fall in love with her. All the parents at her daycare say that. And I'm not saying that because she's my kid. After all, she's my kid. I see her when she's being less than charming.

As a frustrated dance mother, I need to see video of your children!

Sarah did end up figure skating, so that made up for it. Sort of.

Bono and Edge can fight over Bono? GR, your freudian slip is showing. :giggle:

And for the tag? hmm... did I do that. oops :wink:

Baby, that's not a slip....it's a shirt. And it's low cut.....

She went backstage with my sister in law to help get the girls ready....and she LOVED the backstage electricity. I still have dreams from my theater days. Zu, when I first started college - I wanted to be you and teach drama. Then I got sidetracked many times over.

So, I could have a little star on my hands.

I think it would be great because I love the theater too. I wanted to be lyricist when I was much younger. I still believe that had Bono and Edge come to me first, Spider-Man would be up for ALL THE TONYS this year.

Oh look, it's 1am and I've gone delusional....

Oh, hush, you might!! :fingerscrossed:

Last tour seemed to suck big time for meetings compared to Vertigo, though. As awesome as the huge, spectacle tours are, I really hope the next one is a smaller arena one.

i wqas thinking that for Grace... glad you posted it

i agree... :no: don't give up hope, grace!

omg i so :pray: that they 'll be back in arenas again!
I'm "selfish!"

MSG is the ONLY place i could get to - since i don't drive- tht i could arrive to catch them going in OR wait for them to come out at --well caveat, if it's after 12:30 i'd have to make sure i have Car Service money to get me over the bridge into the western Bronx-my nabe...or time it so i catch 5he bus that runs once every 50 mins past 1:30AM-- at any hour!

Tomorrow is the season finale of Mad Men. Omg, I've been so caught up in that show this season. And since I don't have cable and it airs at 10 pm Sundays, I have to download it late Sunday night and can't watch till Mon. evening. I should have taken Mon morning off work. :lol:

As a frustrated dance mother, I need to see video of your children!

Sarah did end up figure skating, so that made up for it. Sort of.

:reject: I can share one. This is Camille 4 years ago when she was an apprentice with City Ballet of San Diego.

She's the dancer on the left (when the 3 soloist come out). They wanted her to join the company so bad, since they had trained her since she was 5! But professional dancing just wasn't what she wanted. I don't blame her. The female dancers make nothing. ALL the $ goes to the men, sadly.

:reject:

Don Quixote - Dream Scene clip on Vimeo

Tried to catch up on the thread a little. Thora your skirt story is :cute: I had a skirt that was special to me like that when I was in my 20's. It was white and had red and goldish starfish on it with random red and gold sequins sewed on them. (Not tons of sequins, just a few.) And it was one of those types that if you spun it would flare out into a complete circle. Sounds dorky I know but it was so cute and I wore it to death, like until it was a rag. :lol: I wonder if I have a pic somewhere. :hmm:

Aww, love it! :love:

Okay, I am shame-faced. I heard this on Fallon last night and it's a pretty catchy song. But this is just adorkable.

Jimmy Fallon, Carly Rae Jepsen & The Roots Sing "Call Me Maybe" (w/ Classroom Instruments) - YouTube

I am so in love with this song, it's ridiculous. And that version is AWESOME.

Just watched Deep Impact, and now I'm a sobby mess. :lol: The other disaster movies today didn't make me cry, but that one did. :tsk:

I just had to share this with you guys, because I can't stop giggling about it.

This is a direct quote from this strip of QuestionableContent
"If guitars are phallic symbols, and keyboards are female, does that mean keytars are hermaphrodites?"

Pintsize (the little robot dude) was talking of becoming a drum machine for his owner's band. And I know on a politically correct level, it shouldn't be funny, but I find it hilarious in my allergy-suffering state of mind right now...

Have you ever heard anything bad about Paul McCartney's parenting? I haven't, and his older children seem to be quite close to him, from everything I've ever heard. That doesn't necessarily mean anything, though.

And as for John's personality vs. the people who started to do good work because of him, I don't think that diminishes those people or that work in any way. Hell, for that matter, regarding my opinion of John, not much will change that, but I'm one person on the internet, sitting in my living room on a Saturday night, spouting off. Doesn't mean my opinion is any more valid than yours, and I didn't mean to imply it is. It's just my opinion from things I've heard over the years, that's all. :hug: :)

:hmm: :hug: no, i think we can agree to disagree...i feel pretty secure in that :). and there are things i wasn't aware of-- the gun carrying..

several people pointed out Paul as good family man... vs i say seemingly, because i may have the wrong impression... vs JL as this piein-sky activist running around.... and certainly back then with less than a traditional family.... so i felt a bit diminished as a chosen to be so without children semi-activist woman.... something i rarely am insecure about as part of my personhood.

hope that is clearer! :)

And one more. :reject: If classical ballet is not your thing, contemporary ballet. This was probably also about 4 years ago, and it's a school show her and her friend did, but still pretty cool. (I think :reject:) (She's the redhead, I'm sure you know!)

Kyoto Walls on Vimeo

(Ok done being proud mom. I do miss seeing both my kids dance, ah well!)

I just had to share this with you guys, because I can't stop giggling about it.

This is a direct quote from this strip of QuestionableContent
"If guitars are phallic symbols, and keyboards are female, does that mean keytars are hermaphrodites?"

Pintsize (the little robot dude) was talking of becoming a drum machine for his owner's band. And I know on a politically correct level, it shouldn't be funny, but I find it hilarious in my allergy-suffering state of mind right now...

:lol::lol:

Back
Top Bottom