PGP: It's Beer O'Clock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I grew up on musicals too, and I love so many of them.

This Follies musical number on the Tony's right now is gratingly awful. Good fucking lord that went on waaaay too long for my liking. :crack:

I saw about three minutes of some dude and a girl that may have been a ventriloquist and dummy? Or she was a doll? Was that what you're talking about? It was really irritating.

It was a dude dancing around and singing with a shrieky sounding girl. I don't know if she was supposed to be a doll, but it was horrible. I muted the last half of it. *shudder*

:heart::wave::wave:
good night everyone
take care.
finally going to sleep at a better, earlier time...which i should do here in rehab. :uhoh::lol:

But it was damn fun to stay up these last several nights till like 2AM to hang out b/c some many of you were here at various and same times. :hyper:

lots of love & good wishes.
dazz* :D

ETA look forward to your picspam, grace!
congrats on 8000 +!

I'm having Game of Thrones withdrawal. :huh:

Me too. I miss Tyrion already, and it's only be what, a week? :sad:

You should've seen my reaction in season one when Ned died. SInce he was played by one of my absolute favorite actors ever, I nearly started sobbing. :reject:

It's weird - in general, I can take or leave musicals. But there are a handful that I just love. I love what I love, but am not dying to see others.

If I can sing along to much of it, I'll probably love it. :wink:

This.

Also, what number from Newsies was performed? :shifty:

It was a kind of mashup. There was a song I didn't recognize, so it was obviously from the musical and not the movie. But the parts I did know were from Seize the Day. :)

Yeah, I still don't get the whole thing as to why Once as a musical is a good idea.

Why would I want to see other people who are not Glen and Marketa singing the songs, when we have a perfectly lovely movie?

Watching Not!Glen sing this song in front of a bother of other buskers in the cast is really not doing anything to change my mind.

Yeah, their version was brilliantly beautiful, and anyone else doing it just seems weird. I like that they sang Gold, though, which was one of my favourite songs from the movie, even though it's just played over the credits.

It was a kind of mashup. There was a song I didn't recognize, so it was obviously from the musical and not the movie. But the parts I did know were from Seize the Day. :)

:drool: One of my absolute favorites.

I'm afraid to watch YT vids of the musical (if there are any), because that movie was such a huge part of my childhood. :reject:

Newsies was my favourite movie for many years when I was a teen, but I think the musical looks great. Everything I've seen and read about it looks fantastic.

and Zu got the joke bout Irish subtitutes names :D some fans there got even flags :lol:

krZI8.jpg

:wink::lol:

Really weird movie was just on. The Man In The Iron Mask, basically 3 musketeers, and Leonardo DiCaprio with a seeeriously American accent (I'd say Pacific Northwest but apparently those don't exist...anyhow. Stereotypical 'California stoner accent' that's basically how teenagers talk) and very ladylike hair. I don't know what to think. I like him normally. But this

The-Man-in-the-Iron-Mask-006.jpg

is just ridiculous. He looks like baby Anastasia.

I think I need to rent Sherlock. I keep hearing people rave about it. It seems manageable to get into - unlike Game of Thrones or Tudors or even True Blood now.

Yes. Sherlock's good. I haven't been able to keep up with those either, bc they keep going on...I tried Tudors bc Jonathan Rhys Meyers, discovered he has to be a bit of an arse as Henry the 8th and that all the interesting stuff happens way after the 1st season, gave up. I'm meaning to watch Game Of Thrones someday. It seems epic.

sounds good katie... happy w your effort today?

Definitely. It was really surprising...everything came out really good. For the past month or so before today I've been pretty shitty at figure drawing and out of nowhere I can sorta do it with no reference for a day. What.

and Zu got the joke bout Irish subtitutes names :D some fans there got even flags :lol:

krZI8.jpg

:giggle:

I saw that movie when it first came out, but not since then, so I can't comment on his accent. But those of us in the PNW don't have accents. I mean, obviously we do to people in different countries, but we're relatively normal sounding for the most part. :D

This song is on repeat for me lately. So beautiful. I saw them last fall (they were the opening act for another singer who I'd gone to see), and I really like their stuff.

Scars on 45 Cover The Cure's "Friday I'm In Love" LIVE - YouTube

But those of us in the PNW don't have accents.

Yepyep, I've heard that...it's pretty close to how most news channels broadcast in anyhow. It's weird being on the east coast for school though and having people tell me I have an accent *blink*

Thora said:
I saw that movie when it first came out, but not since then, so I can't comment on his accent. But those of us in the PNW don't have accents. I mean, obviously we do to people in different countries, but we're relatively normal sounding for the most part. :D

This song is on repeat for me lately. So beautiful. I saw them last fall (they were the opening act for another singer who I'd gone to see), and I really like their stuff.

Scars on 45 Cover The Cure's "Friday I'm In Love" LIVE - YouTube

Thora, the Cure were an opening band? Really?? I loved them in the 80's and early 90's. Recently Robert Smith offered his vocals to a Crystal Castles song. It was so 80's sounding I was nostalgic.

I'm not sure who saw Once as a musical. And I didn't even know it was one until it was nominated. As for the appeal, I get it. I think they expanded the story a bit more. I'd be interested to see if it ends different from the movie.

I am turning my snooty nose at Ghost. I never loved the movie all that much, so them singing about it only seems slightly more appealing.

Cori, did you see Tom from Smash? I wanted to hug him. And what a busy boy. Broadway and TV.

I'm not sure who saw Once as a musical. And I didn't even know it was one until it was nominated. As for the appeal, I get it. I think they expanded the story a bit more. I'd be interested to see if it ends different from the movie.

Cori, did you see Tom from Smash? I wanted to hug him. And what a busy boy. Broadway and TV.

If it turns out that they changed the ending so the two end up together at the end, I'll be even more irritated. The bittersweet ending is part of what made the movie so special! ARRRRRRRGH CORI SMASH!

I only caught a few more bits - sadly, I missed most of the Porgy & Bess bits. I'd been poking around on YouTube looking for a good clip of It Ain't Necessarily So because it was in my head, because my choir had just got done singing Porgy & Bess at our concert that afternoon!

And I saw the bit from Evita. Yay, Ricky Martin! I know everyone's all thrilled that the role of Evita is finally being played by an actual Argentinian, but even though she only sang one line at the start of that song, I have to say she sounded a bit, uh ... questionable.

And then I saw the number from Godspell, because that's a guilty pleasure of mine. Is there a law that says every revival of Godspell has to feature young people in kooky outfits?

Also, I was unimpressed with the mini-soloists in that number. That was weird.

Follow God = dress kooky.

It is theatre, so it's possible they kept the integrity of the movie. They might have dialed up the romance a bit more since it was very subtle in the movie - which I know is that made it chock full o'awesome.

My mom said the same thing about Eva. It's not the best showcase. I was hoping they would do the waltz scene. I want to hear Ricky belt out High Flying Adored. That song is the true test for any Che.

Thora, the Cure were an opening band? Really?? I loved them in the 80's and early 90's. Recently Robert Smith offered his vocals to a Crystal Castles song. It was so 80's sounding I was nostalgic.

No, Scars on 45 were (the band who was doing the cover song in the video). :) I've never seen The Cure before.

I keep my phone by my bed, and this morning I was woken up early by a scam text message saying I'd won something from Wallmart. :eyebrow: :lol: Annoying!

OMG! Dazz! I saw Man of La Mancha too! In maybe 1978?

I've only seen Spiderman for Broadway, and CATS and maybe one or other two things in Boston. There's a really good theater the next town over from me that I see a show at pretty much every year. They're just phenomenal. The theater had some kind of U2 tribute band play last year and I almost went. It wasn't Joshua Tree, some other guys.

Really weird movie was just on. The Man In The Iron Mask, basically 3 musketeers, and Leonardo DiCaprio with a seeeriously American accent (I'd say Pacific Northwest but apparently those don't exist...anyhow. Stereotypical 'California stoner accent' that's basically how teenagers talk) and very ladylike hair. I don't know what to think. I like him normally. But this

That's a good movie. I saw it when it first came out. Made me love Jeremy Irons even more.

It sounds like I might need to remember to start checking out the Tonys more often. I'm not an expert on musicals, but I do like some of them, and the awards sound like fun.

:lol: Oh, my god, he does!

People were talking about "Sherlock" in here...yeah, that's a show I gotta look into checking out, too, I've heard good things.

Thora, that cover sounded lovely. What singer were they opening for?

I like the one guy's comment towards the end of the clip about the "perfect pop songs" list. Now I'm sitting here trying to think of what my own list would consist of.

Aw, I missed all the Tonys talk. So I'll do the multiquote rehash.

My first musical was Les Mis when I was 12. It was a pretty incredible experience. :love:

Oh, yum! *bookmarks*

My fave musical of all time. Seen it 6 times on stage.

It's weird - in general, I can take or leave musicals. But there are a handful that I just love. I love what I love, but am not dying to see others.

If I can sing along to much of it, I'll probably love it. :wink:

Yep don't love all of them. Some are kinda dumb. I will admit, the number from Leap of Faith made me want to see it.

I grew up on musicals too, and I love so many of them.

This Follies musical number on the Tony's right now is gratingly awful. Good fucking lord that went on waaaay too long for my liking. :crack:

this. yes.

Yeah, I still don't get the whole thing as to why Once as a musical is a good idea.

Why would I want to see other people who are not Glen and Marketa singing the songs, when we have a perfectly lovely movie?

Watching Not!Glen sing this song in front of a bother of other buskers in the cast is really not doing anything to change my mind.

Had no desire to see it when I was in NY because, yeah, if it's not Geln and Marketa, I don't wanna see it. That movie was positively perfect.

krZI8.jpg

Ah, got it. Players with the names Long and Cox.

I am turning my snooty nose at Ghost. I never loved the movie all that much, so them singing about it only seems slightly more appealing.

I saw the show he's in, Peter and the Star Catcher, when I was in NY and loved loved loved it - sobbed at the end and had to quickly wipe my eyes before the house lights came on. So glad to see it get so many awards last night. :love:

Follow God = dress kooky.

It is theatre, so it's possible they kept the integrity of the movie. They might have dialed up the romance a bit more since it was very subtle in the movie - which I know is that made it chock full o'awesome.

My mom said the same thing about Eva. It's not the best showcase. I was hoping they would do the waltz scene. I want to hear Ricky belt out High Flying Adored. That song is the true test for any Che.

I thought Ricky was totally flat and uninteresting in last night's performance.

Back
Top Bottom